Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thoughts, Grades, etc. On 2013 NFL Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What grade would you give?
A
30%
 30%  [ 31 ]
B
55%
 55%  [ 57 ]
C
10%
 10%  [ 11 ]
D
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
F
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 103

McThreadski

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
McThreadski wrote:

I feel the same way about McMillian. I saw a guy with a ton of natural talent that looked a bit lost due to his lack of understanding the whole system and playing time. I can't really figure out what people were hoping we would find as a prospect that shows more than he does as far as potential. Plus, we had other needs that were more pressing. Can anyone give an honest analysis as to why McMillian can't be "the guy" this year? I can see the good doctor being a role player that could lose out to the kid from Iowa, but McMillian seems like the real deal to me.

I have high hopes for McMillian too. Had some elite work-out numbers and came from a tiny school.

I really wanted a 3rd safety unlike McMillian (like Rambo) to challenge MD Jennings for a roster spot. I'd like another ballhawk type on the team with potential.

I'm hopeful Ben Ericksen can be that guy.

Yeah, I mean, what really goes on in Maine as far as football is concerned? It seems like he is the type of guy that really blossomed into an incredible athlete after he was a teenager. Good on Teddy for finding him!

Tell me about Ericksen. What are his strengths?
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McThreadski wrote:

Yeah, I mean, what really goes on in Maine as far as football is concerned? It seems like he is the type of guy that really blossomed into an incredible athlete after he was a teenager. Good on Teddy for finding him!

Not a ton to go on, but I had my eye on him for a couple months now. Very good workout numbers:
4.42 40yd
1.51 10yd
36.5" vert
10'02" BJ
6.85 3cone

@ 6'1, 195lbs

He's a convert to defense as a junior, I believe and snagged 7 picks. Clearly has good ball skills and good range from what you see. Looks like a passion player as well and should be able to contribute on special teams right away.

I have a suspicion he's going to be a name you hear a lot in training camp. Just a vibe I get.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
the depth at Safety is, shall we say, lacking. It's right up there with OLB. You want to give the generic response of "oh, well the coaches must like what they have at those positions" but I'm hesitant to agree, especially at Safety in this particular case.

Well, you want to throw out the generic response of "oh, well we didn't change anything at the position, were not getting any better" with safety, I guess. Last year was the first time either of our players across from Burnett got any play time. Since we're a draft & develop style of a team, that is where the majority of our improvement comes from. I trust the teams judgement on the safety situation because well, quite frankly, they know more about the situation than either of us combined. After the top few safeties in this draft went there wasn't even a clear cut better prospect than either Jennings or McMillian. Safety isn't an easy position to just pick up and play in the NFL let alone in Capers D. Plus I loved what I saw from McMillian in year one. If the guy keeps improving I don't blame the Packers for ignoring the position.

And OLB.............I feel better about the position before the draft. Palmer is every bit the prospect that Lemonier/Bass/Buchanon were after doing a little research. Only way we were going to get a clearly better prospect was drafting one in round one or two.

And the whole WR situation.....I'm not all that happy we didn't draft one earlier but I see why they didn't. After thinking about who they picked up & who is coming back(Quarless) they are going to use Finley split out wide more often and run more of a 2-TE set with our newly found RB's.
The thing about Palmer is he's light. That puts him at the weak side where we already had depth.
McThreadski

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
McThreadski wrote:

Not a ton to go on, but I had my eye on him for a couple months now. Very good workout numbers:
4.42 40yd
1.51 10yd
36.5" vert
10'02" BJ
6.85 3cone

@ 6'1, 195lbs

He's a convert to defense as a junior, I believe and snagged 7 picks. Clearly has good ball skills and good range from what you see. Looks like a passion player as well and should be able to contribute on special teams right away.

I have a suspicion he's going to be a name you hear a lot in training camp. Just a vibe I get.

I saw the "highlights". He looks like a try hard guy on kick returns that got caught from behind a few times by questionable talent. That said, he does seem to have good ball skills. I could see him being a nice ST player and could be the second option next to Ross(or Johnson, or some other WR type as long as it isn't Cobb) on KR duty. Those are tidy numbers though... Wink
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
I really wanted a 3rd safety unlike McMillian (like Rambo) to challenge MD Jennings for a roster spot. I'd like another ballhawk type on the team with potential.

Yeah. Would've liked him over Boyd, but.......still. Not going to complain or act like I know better than Ted and company.

Sig brought to you by Justo
RCobb18

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1st) Datone Jones DE UCLA [A]

Gives us an explosive pass rusher on the defensive line that we have been missing since Cullen Jenkins left us. Has good height and length, becomes our tallest defensive linemen. Lots of upside and is just discovering his potential.

(2nd) Eddie Lacy RB Alabama [A]

Many people's consensus number one running back falls to the end of the second because of work ethic and medical concerns. I personally like Ball better than Lacy but was ecstatic we took Lacy after Ball was taken by Denver. Lacy gives us a bell cow running back that we haven't seen since Ahman Green. He is an aggressive and angry runner, who runs north south and can catch the ball out of the back field and protect the Franchise. Great Value.

(4th) David Bakhtiari T Colorado [B+]

Solid value in the 4th round, projected by a lot of people to go higher than the 4th round. He isn't as big as you would like from a tackle but he is athletic and has good feet. I think he is a guy that can play anywhere on the line if you need him too, which is something we definitely need. I think he projects best inside at guard or center.

(4th) J.C. Tretter T Cornell [A-]

Really like this pick, small school stud who is probably not going to be a tackle in the pro's but guard or center. Lots of upside but is still little ways off from being a starter. Really athletic, with quick feet and really smart. Center of the future potentially.

(4th) Johnathan Franklin RB UCLA [A]

This pick came out of nowhere and I absolutely love it. Franklin, UCLA's all time leading rusher is a speed back that can hit the homerun at any moment. I really like his ability to catch the ball out of the back field and he has solid vision down field. Can't wait to see both Franklin and Lacy this year.

(5th) Micah Hyde CB Iowa [C-]

I really didn't like this pick that much, Hyde doesn't get me that excited. There were better options available (Rambo, Poyer, and Jefferson, among others). Does offer versatility between safety and cornerback. Hope TT proves me wrong with this pick.

(5th) Josh Boyd DE Mississippi St. [B]

I like the value here in the later rounds but I see a hard time in him making the roster with all the defensive linemen we currently have. Needs to become more consistent but he does offer good run stopping ability.

(6th) Nate Palmer OLB Illinois State [INC]

Good measureables, but can't find any 'tape' on him.

(7th) Charles Johnson WR Grand Valley State [B]

Good size and measureables, great speed and good production at Grand Valley State. I am intrigued by his potential and will be curious to see if he can amount to anything more than just a guy.

(7th) Kenny Dorsey WR Maryland [C-]

Nice size and speed, didn't have good production but then again he didn't have good quarterback play while at Maryland, seems like just a guy to me.

(7th) Sam Barrington ILB USF [C]

Never heard of the guy, special teams is where he will make his impact if he makes the roster. Seems pretty physical.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
McThreadski wrote:

I feel the same way about McMillian. I saw a guy with a ton of natural talent that looked a bit lost due to his lack of understanding the whole system and playing time. I can't really figure out what people were hoping we would find as a prospect that shows more than he does as far as potential. Plus, we had other needs that were more pressing. Can anyone give an honest analysis as to why McMillian can't be "the guy" this year? I can see the good doctor being a role player that could lose out to the kid from Iowa, but McMillian seems like the real deal to me.

I have high hopes for McMillian too. Had some elite work-out numbers and came from a tiny school.

I'm in the same raft with you, I have hopes for McMillian, he'll never be that dream deep safety but he has some great strengths near the line and a Burnett/McMillian combo can work when they get to know the positions. It's Jennings that I don't have much love for, I didn't think he deserved a roster spot last year but there was no one else. I would of liked adding another rangy safety with ball skills to push him this season, there just weren't many if any that were of that mold, most were in line with McMillian's style and abilities. I agree Rambo fit the physical bill, his mental game was lacking though. I remember catching one of Ericksen's high school games back when; he was on the other side of the ball then though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
McThreadski wrote:

I'm in the same raft with you, I have hopes for McMillian, he'll never be that dream deep safety but he has some great strengths near the line and a Burnett/McMillian combo can work when they get to know the positions. It's Jennings that I don't have much love for, I didn't think he deserved a roster spot last year but there was no one else. I would of liked adding another rangy safety with ball skills to push him this season, there just weren't many if any that were of that mold, most were in line with McMillian's style and abilities. I agree Rambo fit the physical bill, his mental game was lacking though. I remember catching one of Ericksen's high school games back when; he was on the other side of the ball then though.

I don't think you're going to find a more physical safety than McMillian in this draft or any other draft. Dude is a destroyer. He got fined 21K for a big hit on Martellus Bennett and he woke up the next morning and said he would do it all over again the exact same way. He brings the lumber on every play, he just didn't know exactly what he was doing last year, and it showed at times and Woodson was the much more experienced player. I will take that for a rookie.

The jury is still out on Doc Jennings, but he may be relegated to left side bench/ left out if Burnett and McMillian can stay healthy.
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
The thing about Palmer is he's light. That puts him at the weak side where we already had depth.

Moses got a ton of play time on the strong side last year when Clay was healthy, though. Personally I think Brad Jones is going to be getting snaps at both ILB and OLB and is going to be our go-to guy for when they want to rotate guys out.

Sig brought to you by Justo
phillipraz

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere but are they doing any kind of introductory press conference of the draftees?
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

Moses got a ton of play time on the strong side last year when Clay was healthy, though. Personally I think Brad Jones is going to be getting snaps at both ILB and OLB and is going to be our go-to guy for when they want to rotate guys out.

If worst comes to worst, you can probably play Datone on the strong side. He moves better than Walden...
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
ugLymayNe wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
the depth at Safety is, shall we say, lacking. It's right up there with OLB. You want to give the generic response of "oh, well the coaches must like what they have at those positions" but I'm hesitant to agree, especially at Safety in this particular case.

Well, you want to throw out the generic response of "oh, well we didn't change anything at the position, were not getting any better" with safety, I guess. Last year was the first time either of our players across from Burnett got any play time. Since we're a draft & develop style of a team, that is where the majority of our improvement comes from. I trust the teams judgement on the safety situation because well, quite frankly, they know more about the situation than either of us combined. After the top few safeties in this draft went there wasn't even a clear cut better prospect than either Jennings or McMillian. Safety isn't an easy position to just pick up and play in the NFL let alone in Capers D. Plus I loved what I saw from McMillian in year one. If the guy keeps improving I don't blame the Packers for ignoring the position.

And OLB.............I feel better about the position before the draft. Palmer is every bit the prospect that Lemonier/Bass/Buchanon were after doing a little research. Only way we were going to get a clearly better prospect was drafting one in round one or two.

And the whole WR situation.....I'm not all that happy we didn't draft one earlier but I see why they didn't. After thinking about who they picked up & who is coming back(Quarless) they are going to use Finley split out wide more often and run more of a 2-TE set with our newly found RB's.

I missed Uglymayne's response earlier so I'll go off of that first:

I don't disagree with the Safety issue, however, I believe we could've used one a mid round pick on someone and I really think Hyde is better off at FS because of his toughness and ball skills. His agility would also aid him in that role. That said, I'm very high on McMillian, not so much on Jennings. Jennings seemed to struggle with tackling fundamentals which kinda turned me off to him. Give him A for effort, but I think we can improve at Safety.

As for the WR situation. I was really hoping we'd grab Josh Boyce but after doing some research on Johnson and Dorsey, I'm not too sour on New England reaching for him a bit.

I also still don't think Quarless is coming back and I've written him off. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised but look how long he's been out and what kind of injury it was.

Hyp, don't you think there's a possibility for Palmer to bulk up a bit in order to play strong side?
Pugger

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajhawk5047 wrote:
B+

Love Datone. Love our running game. Love Charles Johnson and Sam Barrington in the 7th.

Like the 2 O-linemen. Adds for some nice depth and good competition. Both of them have the potential to start someday in the future. Not saying either will, but they have the ability.

Don't like Micah Hyde. Seems like a guy we could have gotten much later, possibly as an UDFA. Don't like not adding a more proven WR, Safety, TE or Pass Rusher.

All in all really liked it, didn't LOVE it.

Didn't Ted address this with Datone Jones?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillipraz wrote:
sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere but are they doing any kind of introductory press conference of the draftees?

Wondering the same thing. I didn't find anything on Packers.com other than the coaches talking about some of the draftees.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCobb18 wrote:
(1st) Datone Jones DE UCLA [A]

Gives us an explosive pass rusher on the defensive line that we have been missing since Cullen Jenkins left us. Has good height and length, becomes our tallest defensive linemen. Lots of upside and is just discovering his potential.

(2nd) Eddie Lacy RB Alabama [A]

Many people's consensus number one running back falls to the end of the second because of work ethic and medical concerns. I personally like Ball better than Lacy but was ecstatic we took Lacy after Ball was taken by Denver. Lacy gives us a bell cow running back that we haven't seen since Ahman Green. He is an aggressive and angry runner, who runs north south and can catch the ball out of the back field and protect the Franchise. Great Value.

(4th) David Bakhtiari T Colorado [B+]

Solid value in the 4th round, projected by a lot of people to go higher than the 4th round. He isn't as big as you would like from a tackle but he is athletic and has good feet. I think he is a guy that can play anywhere on the line if you need him too, which is something we definitely need. I think he projects best inside at guard or center.

(4th) J.C. Tretter T Cornell [A-]

Really like this pick, small school stud who is probably not going to be a tackle in the pro's but guard or center. Lots of upside but is still little ways off from being a starter. Really athletic, with quick feet and really smart. Center of the future potentially.

(4th) Johnathan Franklin RB UCLA [A]

This pick came out of nowhere and I absolutely love it. Franklin, UCLA's all time leading rusher is a speed back that can hit the homerun at any moment. I really like his ability to catch the ball out of the back field and he has solid vision down field. Can't wait to see both Franklin and Lacy this year.

(5th) Micah Hyde CB Iowa [C-]

I really didn't like this pick that much, Hyde doesn't get me that excited. There were better options available (Rambo, Poyer, and Jefferson, among others). Does offer versatility between safety and cornerback. Hope TT proves me wrong with this pick.

(5th) Josh Boyd DE Mississippi St. [B]

I like the value here in the later rounds but I see a hard time in him making the roster with all the defensive linemen we currently have. Needs to become more consistent but he does offer good run stopping ability.

(6th) Nate Palmer OLB Illinois State [INC]

Good measureables, but can't find any 'tape' on him.

(7th) Charles Johnson WR Grand Valley State [B]

Good size and measureables, great speed and good production at Grand Valley State. I am intrigued by his potential and will be curious to see if he can amount to anything more than just a guy.

(7th) Kenny Dorsey WR Maryland [C-]

Nice size and speed, didn't have good production but then again he didn't have good quarterback play while at Maryland, seems like just a guy to me.

(7th) Sam Barrington ILB USF [C]

Never heard of the guy, special teams is where he will make his impact if he makes the roster. Seems pretty physical.

I've never heard anyone question Lacy's work ethic. Injuries? yes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: