Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thoughts, Grades, etc. On 2013 NFL Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What grade would you give?
A
30%
 30%  [ 31 ]
B
55%
 55%  [ 57 ]
C
10%
 10%  [ 11 ]
D
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
F
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 103

DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svp wrote:
Over the years the FO has lost some people. I wanted to see
what effect this had on the draft, especially the lower rounds.
I am happy with the results. In this particular draft I wish there
were more "all in" type people. I guess I should learn not to think that
way. Red flags seem to take guys completelyoff GB's board.

B-

What red flags are you talking about? If they didn't cause guys to drop, they wouldn't be red flags.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
What red flags are you talking about? If they didn't cause guys to drop, they wouldn't be red flags.

I would assume he's referring to guys like Da'Rick Rogers and Tyler Bray with notable red flags.
duxrule

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

several picks that I loved (Dat One, Lacy, Franklin) and several that are intriguing (either/both WR's)

I'll also contest the comment about WR being a "need" position. Which guy was going to come in a supplant any of the current starters?? I'll give you the short answer: None. Patton going to take over for Jones? Nope. How about Da'Rick taking over for Jordy? Nah...this was handled very well. Bring in some prospects with some big play potential and see what happens.

The staff must be confident that Nick is coming back healthy since they didn't do a lot of OLB things. I'm fine with that. Again....which guy in the 4th was going to come in and take over for 1st rounder Perry? None..
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

I would assume he's referring to guys like Da'Rick Rogers and Tyler Bray with notable red flags.

Yep. Personally, I would've taken shots on them, but I totally understand why they didn't.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duxrule wrote:
The staff must be confident that Nick is coming back healthy since they didn't do a lot of OLB things. I'm fine with that. Again....which guy in the 4th was going to come in and take over for 1st rounder Perry? None..

The thing that had Perry out for the season was a wrist, not a knee. It's honestly nothing to worry about long term. Wrist injuries are often of the form "we fix it now, or we don't fix it ever" and the recovery process is incompatible with a great number of things you do playing defensive football.

But there's a really low rate of recurrence for that sort of injury, honestly.
.flash

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of it. I think a B is reasonable for it at this point. I would have loved to have grabbed a TE or WR in the 2nd or 3rd round but I can't complain with the way things fell. The biggest impact that could have come out of this draft was RB - it was by far our biggest need and worst position on the team. Teddy finally addressed it and I think Lacy and Franklin are going to have the biggest rookie impact on this team next year. I like the depth we added to the OL and I think Datone is a gamer. We neglected safety for another year, so I hope McMillian steps up.

All things considered, I like it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A- overall. Liked the plan, well executed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding a WR earlier is something I wanted. I am excited to see what we have in Charles Johnson. But the general idea is the better players go earlier. I don't think any rookie WR in this class can replace James Jones this season. But an earlier pick (probable better player) is likelier to replace James Jones after this season when he becomes a FA. Taking Cobb a couple seasons ago allowed us to move on from [purple traitor] and still have a good WR group. It appears we didn't have this plan for when team purple offers James Jones a big deal next offseason.

I'm just thinking ahead. Which is why I did a 180 on the OL picks. Now we don't have to re-sign Lang and Newhouse when their deals are up and can go with younger, cheaper options; who have had time to develop and we aren't forced to pick their replacement after they are gone.

As for OLB. I don't think anyone is looking for a starter. Rather some more talented back-ups than we have.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
motorcycle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day after, I am giddy we have Eddie Lacey and Franklin. Two of my favourite players in the whole draft! And DuJuan Harris is my favourite Packer! And Rodgers has been extended!

Happy times Smile
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Adding a WR earlier is something I wanted.

As for OLB. I don't think anyone is looking for a starter. Rather some more talented back-ups than we have.

This, but I'm not complaining. The coaches and FO know what they have in Boykin/Ross and obviously like it. Samething goes for MD and McMillian on the opposite side at safety. All of those guys are young players that will only get better from here on out and I wouldn't be surprised if they get a ton of PT next year.

Palmer is an intriguing prospect that has a ton of production. If they think he is better than a hot name like Ty Powell, so be it. They work in the NFL while 99% of us dont. Just hope we can stay healthy at OLB(knock on wood).

Sig brought to you by Justo
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Adding a WR earlier is something I wanted.

This, but I'm not complaining. The coaches and FO know what they have in Boykin/Ross and obviously like it. Samething goes for MD and McMillian on the opposite side at safety. All of those guys are young players that will only get better from here on out and I wouldn't be surprised if they get a ton of PT next year.

Palmer is an intriguing prospect that has a ton of production. If they think he is better than a hot name like Ty Powell, so be it. They work in the NFL while 99% of us dont. Just hope we can stay healthy at OLB(knock on wood).

Well Jennings and McMillian are going to get a ton of PT for sure, the depth at Safety is, shall we say, lacking. It's right up there with OLB. You want to give the generic response of "oh, well the coaches must like what they have at those positions" but I'm hesitant to agree, especially at Safety in this particular case. I would also be concerned about CB given House's injury. I'm hoping Hyde can take over that 5th DB role that Woodson had played and from what I've seen of Hyde, I think he can do it. Tough kid. I too am really hoping Palmer pans out.

Surprisingly enough, I really like the last 2 WR's we picked. I think both can emerge as role players though I see Dorsey going to the PS almost immediately and brought up in the event we get sick of Ross. Ross is a big guy with speed and aggressiveness. I would rather we develop him into a WR who could eventually take over for James Jones in the event Jones leaves after this season. Not so sure what to think about Boykin.
MUOH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler Bray is one of the primary reasons that BJ Coleman left Tennessee. Both have big egos and both come off as being totally full of themselves. I can only imagine what training camp would have been like if Bray had come to Green Bay.

Suspect that both Coleman and Bray would have gone to jail after getting into it during seven on seven drills over which one is better than Rodgers.
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
the depth at Safety is, shall we say, lacking. It's right up there with OLB. You want to give the generic response of "oh, well the coaches must like what they have at those positions" but I'm hesitant to agree, especially at Safety in this particular case.

Well, you want to throw out the generic response of "oh, well we didn't change anything at the position, were not getting any better" with safety, I guess. Last year was the first time either of our players across from Burnett got any play time. Since we're a draft & develop style of a team, that is where the majority of our improvement comes from. I trust the teams judgement on the safety situation because well, quite frankly, they know more about the situation than either of us combined. After the top few safeties in this draft went there wasn't even a clear cut better prospect than either Jennings or McMillian. Safety isn't an easy position to just pick up and play in the NFL let alone in Capers D. Plus I loved what I saw from McMillian in year one. If the guy keeps improving I don't blame the Packers for ignoring the position.

And OLB.............I feel better about the position before the draft. Palmer is every bit the prospect that Lemonier/Bass/Buchanon were after doing a little research. Only way we were going to get a clearly better prospect was drafting one in round one or two.

And the whole WR situation.....I'm not all that happy we didn't draft one earlier but I see why they didn't. After thinking about who they picked up & who is coming back(Quarless) they are going to use Finley split out wide more often and run more of a 2-TE set with our newly found RB's.

Sig brought to you by Justo
McThreadski

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
the depth at Safety is, shall we say, lacking. It's right up there with OLB. You want to give the generic response of "oh, well the coaches must like what they have at those positions" but I'm hesitant to agree, especially at Safety in this particular case.

Well, you want to throw out the generic response of "oh, well we didn't change anything at the position, were not getting any better" with safety, I guess. Last year was the first time either of our players across from Burnett got any play time. Since we're a draft & develop style of a team, that is where the majority of our improvement comes from. I trust the teams judgement on the safety situation because well, quite frankly, they know more about the situation than either of us combined. After the top few safeties in this draft went there wasn't even a clear cut better prospect than either Jennings or McMillian. Safety isn't an easy position to just pick up and play in the NFL let alone in Capers D. Plus I loved what I saw from McMillian in year one. If the guy keeps improving I don't blame the Packers for ignoring the position.

And OLB.............I feel better about the position before the draft. Palmer is every bit the prospect that Lemonier/Bass/Buchanon were after doing a little research. Only way we were going to get a clearly better prospect was drafting one in round one or two.

And the whole WR situation.....I'm not all that happy we didn't draft one earlier but I see why they didn't. After thinking about who they picked up & who is coming back(Quarless) they are going to use Finley split out wide more often and run more of a 2-TE set with our newly found RB's.

I feel the same way about McMillian. I saw a guy with a ton of natural talent that looked a bit lost due to his lack of understanding the whole system and playing time. I can't really figure out what people were hoping we would find as a prospect that shows more than he does as far as potential. Plus, we had other needs that were more pressing. Can anyone give an honest analysis as to why McMillian can't be "the guy" this year? I can see the good doctor being a role player that could lose out to the kid from Iowa, but McMillian seems like the real deal to me.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McThreadski wrote:

I feel the same way about McMillian. I saw a guy with a ton of natural talent that looked a bit lost due to his lack of understanding the whole system and playing time. I can't really figure out what people were hoping we would find as a prospect that shows more than he does as far as potential. Plus, we had other needs that were more pressing. Can anyone give an honest analysis as to why McMillian can't be "the guy" this year? I can see the good doctor being a role player that could lose out to the kid from Iowa, but McMillian seems like the real deal to me.

I have high hopes for McMillian too. Had some elite work-out numbers and came from a tiny school.

I really wanted a 3rd safety unlike McMillian (like Rambo) to challenge MD Jennings for a roster spot. I'd like another ballhawk type on the team with potential.

I'm hopeful Ben Ericksen can be that guy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: