Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Best and Worst Broncos Selections
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Broncos Best Selection
Sylvester Williams, NT, UNC
62%
 62%  [ 22 ]
Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Kayvon Webster, DB, South Florida
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Quanterus Smith, DE, W.Kentucky
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
Tarvarres King, WR, Georgia
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Vinston Painter, OT, Virginia Tech
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Zac Dysert, QB, Miami of Ohio
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 35

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
1234567 wrote:
I'm pretty stoked about this draft.

Best pick: Kayvon Webster. We committed highway robbery with this pick. I know a lot of you don't know much about him. Trust me. 2-3 years from now, ya'll be like Applause Dancing . Fox/Elway know how to pick DB's, and he's gonna be solid. Him + Harris + Rodgers-Cromartie + Champ at Safety is gonna be ridiculous two years from now.

Out of plain interest: What makes you so certain about Webster? I, like many, don't know much about him other than the few paragraphs of internet scouting reports we got a hold of during the last 24h. They actually make me almost as optimistic as you are, yet stemming from your praise above you seem to know or have watched/followed him more than others. Anyways... I am looking foward to observe Webster's progress. Somehow this pick does have a bit of 'diamond in the rough' aura to it. If Belichick had picked him, the media would have been all over this. Just like every year when Bill gets all funky with his under the radar type selections. It almost has reached the level of self-fulfilling prophecy. Laughing

I was a DB all throughout school, so I've always paid more attention to them leading up to the draft than any of the other positions. I guess you could say that it interests me more than the others. When you evaluate a corner, obviously speed is important, but there's a LOT more to it than that. I like dark horses, so I followed him a little more carefully than most people, I think. Here's what jumped out at me.

1) Lightning fast hips. In today's NFL, this is maybe the most important thing a DB can possess. Webster has unusually smooth/fast flipping hips, even for his position.

2) Has perfect breaking technique. I see a lot of corners that struggle with this, especially on "2" and "3" routes, and it drives me crazy. There's a correct way to break out of your backpedal, and there's an incorrect way to break out of your backpedal. Sloppy footwork will get you toasted in the NFL no matter how "fast" you are, and Webster's footwork is nearly flawless.

2) Reflexes are fast.

3) He's very aggressive, but more importantly, he's good at being aggressive, and is muscular enough to continue that style of play in the NFL.

4) Looks very "natural" in full pads. Anybody who's played the corner position knows what I mean here, and how important that is.

5) He gets to learn from IMO the best/most complete CB in the history of the league. If he has the work ethic/willingness to learn, Champ will be the best thing that ever happened to the dude.

So I was thinking he would be pretty high on someone's board. Then when Elway/Fox (who got his start coaching DB's) yanked him out from underneath Belichick, I knew we had a winner. The only thing I don't know about him is what his head is like. If he fails in the NFL, it will be because of an attitude/intelligence problem, NOT his ability/technique.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who I would say the worst selection is, because in terms of fit, I think the guys we picked are compatible with our scheme and what we desire out of players. We have had a lot of contributions from late round picks in Elway's time here, so I expect that to continue.

The best pick, IMO is Quanterus Smith, if we're strictly speaking value. If he wasn't injured, he goes a few rounds higher. His potential is quite high, and I think if he gets healthy by TC like he expects, he'll contribute some by midseason. His role will be strictly pass-rushing which will give us another weapon. I'm really excited about this kid.

Thanks, Tzimisce
whenmidgetsatak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1234567 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
1234567 wrote:

Best pick: Kayvon Webster. We committed highway robbery with this pick. I know a lot of you don't know much about him. Trust me. 2-3 years from now, ya'll be like Applause Dancing . Fox/Elway know how to pick DB's, and he's gonna be solid. Him + Harris + Rodgers-Cromartie + Champ at Safety is gonna be ridiculous two years from now.

Out of plain interest: What makes you so certain about Webster? I, like many, don't know much about him other than the few paragraphs of internet scouting reports we got a hold of during the last 24h. They actually make me almost as optimistic as you are, yet stemming from your praise above you seem to know or have watched/followed him more than others. Anyways... I am looking foward to observe Webster's progress. Somehow this pick does have a bit of 'diamond in the rough' aura to it. If Belichick had picked him, the media would have been all over this. Just like every year when Bill gets all funky with his under the radar type selections. It almost has reached the level of self-fulfilling prophecy. Laughing

I was a DB all throughout school, so I've always paid more attention to them leading up to the draft than any of the other positions. I guess you could say that it interests me more than the others. When you evaluate a corner, obviously speed is important, but there's a LOT more to it than that. I like dark horses, so I followed him a little more carefully than most people, I think. Here's what jumped out at me.

1) Lightning fast hips. In today's NFL, this is maybe the most important thing a DB can possess. Webster has unusually smooth/fast flipping hips, even for his position.

2) Has perfect breaking technique. I see a lot of corners that struggle with this, especially on "2" and "3" routes, and it drives me crazy. There's a correct way to break out of your backpedal, and there's an incorrect way to break out of your backpedal. Sloppy footwork will get you toasted in the NFL no matter how "fast" you are, and Webster's footwork is nearly flawless.

2) Reflexes are fast.

3) He's very aggressive, but more importantly, he's good at being aggressive, and is muscular enough to continue that style of play in the NFL.

4) Looks very "natural" in full pads. Anybody who's played the corner position knows what I mean here, and how important that is.

5) He gets to learn from IMO the best/most complete CB in the history of the league. If he has the work ethic/willingness to learn, Champ will be the best thing that ever happened to the dude.

So I was thinking he would be pretty high on someone's board. Then when Elway/Fox (who got his start coaching DB's) yanked him out from underneath Belichick, I knew we had a winner. The only thing I don't know about him is what his head is like. If he fails in the NFL, it will be because of an attitude/intelligence problem, NOT his ability/technique.

Why do you think Kayvon was not a higher rated prospect then? What are his weaknesses?

I am tired of people bagging on Montee Ball because of how long he might last. I would rather have a starting running back for 6-8 years than a COP back for 10 (Hillman) or a 3rd stringer for 12 (Knowshon). If you dont like the pick because you dont think he will perform, I understand that. But to diss the pick because you think he will only be a starter for 6-8 years instead of 10 is a bit crazy imo. Not to mention that other RBs have lasted a long time despite high carries in college.

^This guy is our forum mod
mke1010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whenmidgetsatak wrote:
1234567 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
1234567 wrote:

2) Reflexes are fast.

Why do you think Kayvon was not a higher rated prospect then? What are his weaknesses?

I am tired of people bagging on Montee Ball because of how long he might last. I would rather have a starting running back for 6-8 years than a COP back for 10 (Hillman) or a 3rd stringer for 12 (Knowshon). If you dont like the pick because you dont think he will perform, I understand that. But to diss the pick because you think he will only be a starter for 6-8 years instead of 10 is a bit crazy imo. Not to mention that other RBs have lasted a long time despite high carries in college.

It has been written in a couple of places that he played in the wrong scheme. Scouts who like him stated his strengths are in man to man coverage. He played mainly zone in college. Thus he made a lot of tackles but usually after significant yards had been made on him. He didn't have a lot of talent around him.

Secondly, while he is apparently good at defending passes thrown his way- he has poor hands. So while you may not be able to complete a pass on him, he is not a big threat to intercept it.

He didn't have a lot of national exposure being at a smaller school. So not too many folks followed him and when they looked at film, his measurables didnt translate because of the scheme he was in. He didn't appear to dominate lower tier competition so he dropped on most boards.

His speed, physicality and intangibles convinced Elway and co to nab him. Apparently, had we passed, New England was waiting to grab him.
Hope that helps a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
whenmidgetsatak wrote:
1234567 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
1234567 wrote:

2) Reflexes are fast.

It has been written in a couple of places that he played in the wrong scheme. Scouts who like him stated his strengths are in man to man coverage. He played mainly zone in college. Thus he made a lot of tackles but usually after significant yards had been made on him. He didn't have a lot of talent around him.

Secondly, while he is apparently good at defending passes thrown his way- he has poor hands. So while you may not be able to complete a pass on him, he is not a big threat to intercept it.

He didn't have a lot of national exposure being at a smaller school. So not too many folks followed him and when they looked at film, his measurables didnt translate because of the scheme he was in. He didn't appear to dominate lower tier competition so he dropped on most boards.

His speed, physicality and intangibles convinced Elway and co to nab him. Apparently, had we passed, New England was waiting to grab him.
Hope that helps a bit.

^ What he said.

1) Webster is definately better in press and m2m coverage than he is in zone. From what I've gathered, he was in a horrible coaching situation, so I'm expecting him to improve in that area under Denver's staff.

2) You know what they call a wide receiver who can't catch? A cornerback Laughing While he's not Champ Bailey, he can at least pick off the easy ones. The main thing is to make sure the other guy doesn't catch it either.

3) I wish he had played at a bigger school, and had been allowed to square off man to man against some of the countries' big name receivers. Of course, if he had, he might not have fallen to us in the 3rd.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't meant to be a shot at Webster. I actually like the Webster pick and think he has a lot of potential. However, the argument that New England was going to pick him really isn't a vote of confidence. The Patriots have struggled mightily over the years selecting DB's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: