Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Best and Worst Broncos Selections
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Broncos Best Selection
Sylvester Williams, NT, UNC
62%
 62%  [ 22 ]
Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Kayvon Webster, DB, South Florida
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Quanterus Smith, DE, W.Kentucky
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
Tarvarres King, WR, Georgia
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Vinston Painter, OT, Virginia Tech
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Zac Dysert, QB, Miami of Ohio
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 35

RazorStar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winning the rushing title at 31 is pretty special. Being run into the ground by Parcells and coming out better after that is pretty special. Most guys with an average body turn out to be Knowshon Moreno or worse...

I think we're thinking along the same mindset, I'm just saying being durable and consistent for a running back is a special quality and not very many backs are either of those things. I'd love for Ball to be the next Curtis Martin... I'd love to draft one in the second round every year, so here's hoping.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Sylvester Williams is the best pick. He's got attributes that you can't teach, that are common amongst elite defensive tackles. Those being his reaction time, and the fact that he's a quick twitch athlete. He'll be coached up on technique, and become a force. Size, bulk and awareness of a good run defender, strength and quick feet of a very good penetrating defensive tackle. He should have gone earlier, think he's more complete than a few of the DT's who went before him.

Worst pick is probably Webster. Seems like a big reach to me. I'm no scout, never claimed to be, but consensus seemed to be that this was a reach. I've heard many front offices were higher on this guy than the scouting/analyst community, but still not so sure. Also question the need at the position. I don't see him cracking the top 5 in cornerbacks this year. Think Carter and Bolden are both probably much better than him right now. If you want a guy with the raw ability to be good, who just needs polish, get him a bit later and develop him. Not in the 3rd. Now apparently he's a very good tackler, which is all well and good, and if they want to turn him into a safety, great. He shows little signs of ball skills though, so I'm not sure. If this one ends up working for us, it may take quite a while for his development to happen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Pick: Sylvester Williams
- This team has neglected a young talent for years. I ranked Williams above Sharrif Floyd, mainly because he a better all-around player. I love Williams quickness and strength. Should push Vick and Pork Chop for time early.

Worst Pick: Montee Ball
- Ive said already that I LOVE the player but I question his durability and how long he lasts in the NFL. I hope he proves me wrong but there were other RB's available I would have rather taken.

"Not Sure Yet" Pick: Kayvon Webster
- I never would have thought he was a 3rd round CB. Hes a good player, shows ability to play man-press, willing to defend the run and solid ST player but played on a terrible team and never stood out. The Front Office took a shot on a high-upside player. He'll get the opportunity to win the 4th corner spot in camp.

Last edited by JerseysFinest27 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:34 am; edited 3 times in total
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RazorStar wrote:
I'm just saying being durable and consistent for a running back is a special quality and not very many backs are either of those things. .

And that specifically is why I made the comparison. I think we agree.

Ball has been exactly those things in college.
copeland

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that they took BPA in the first, and I see Williams as a guy that can contribute from day one.
Also sounds to me like they had Ball rated a lot higher on their board than most in this forum. No offense to anyone, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt when it come to the player evaluations. They see him as a guy that can contribute early, and be productive.
As for the rest, if you read the post draft interview with Elway, he talked more about these players having " a lot of upside" that needs to be developed. This tells me they basically drafted for depth and development from the 3rd round on. Mostly says to me they are very happy with the roster, and took some chances with raw players that they feel can be coached up into good ones.
Should be fun to watch and monitor these players development, and see just how well they projected these players, and to see how well the coaching staff does in drawing out the talent they believe they have. I have faith they will do well.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

copeland wrote:
Seems to me that they took BPA in the first, and I see Williams as a guy that can contribute from day one.
Also sounds to me like they had Ball rated a lot higher on their board than most in this forum. No offense to anyone, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt when it come to the player evaluations. They see him as a guy that can contribute early, and be productive.
As for the rest, if you read the post draft interview with Elway, he talked more about these players having " a lot of upside" that needs to be developed. This tells me they basically drafted for depth and development from the 3rd round on. Mostly says to me they are very happy with the roster, and took some chances with raw players that they feel can be coached up into good ones.
Should be fun to watch and monitor these players development, and see just how well they projected these players, and to see how well the coaching staff does in drawing out the talent they believe they have. I have faith they will do well.

Thats a pretty good summary.
broncs4life

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite pick is Quanterus Smith. 5th round pick, great value. Had 12 1/2 sacks last year, will help us for awhile.

My least as of now: Kavyon Webster. I would have prefered to pick a safety. I don't know him so i can't judge but in this draft by Denver, he is my least favorite.

Thanks to Delphi83 for the incredible sig and Avatar!
Von Miller 2011 DROY!!!
IT'S MILLER TIME!!
GO BRONCOS!
mke1010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RazorStar wrote:
Saying someone is the next Curtis Martin is ridiculously high praise. Any back may have the body, but few have the grit and toughness to churn out what Martin did season after season.

In any case I think we nailed it with Sly. The Webster pick has me scratching my head, but that's because I don't know anything about him.

Very true statement. However, if any back over the past few draft cycles has shown the work ethic, discipline, grit and toughness to do what Curtis martin did, it is Montee Ball. Dude hardly gets injured. He has carried a ridiculous work load, has been as productive if not more productive than any running back coming in to the NFL draft in the last decade and has carried the ball over 900 times with only 2 fumbles.

Martin is a hall of famer so it is unfair to compare Ball to him or put that pressure on Montee. But if anyone should draw comparisons, it is Ball. Now he just has to go out and get the job done.
elliot878

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my "keep your eye out for" player would be Vinston Painter. He's a late bloomer, moved around a lot his first few years. Settled in at tackle and did well. Physically he's got OK size, good feet, good power thru his legs, and he's very strong. This is one that has barely scratched the surface.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
RazorStar wrote:
Saying someone is the next Curtis Martin is ridiculously high praise. Any back may have the body, but few have the grit and toughness to churn out what Martin did season after season.

In any case I think we nailed it with Sly. The Webster pick has me scratching my head, but that's because I don't know anything about him.

Not really. CM was never special, ever!! He was however consistent, and reliable.

His HOF selection had more to do with him playing a long time than anything else. He was never the best back in the league, probably not even the 3rd or 4th best. He was however always there.

This kid has exactly what you mentioned. Grit and toughness. Skill set, he and Martin are quite similar.

Not like I'm comparing him to Brown, Dickerson, Payton, Earl campbell, et al.

Anyway, thinking CM was special in any area outside of longevity is delusional. He was an above average back for a very long time. Thats it!

Ball seems like the same thing.

I agree with every word you said Akrna. In fact, I was never a big fan of Martin. He was not an exciting player to watch. I always thought TD was significantly better than CM. I was kinda miffed CM made the hall of fame and not TD.

But I respect CM specifically for everything you said- consistency, work ethic and professionalism. He rarely made the highlight reel but at the end of each season you look up and he had 1300 yards. When Lacy fell to us, I thought we would draft him. He was the sexier pick. But I certainly understand why Elway and co went with Ball. His discipline, consistency, professionalism and production were hard to pass up.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best selection was Williams. We have been waiting for a DT for how many years? I know since I have been on this forum we have all been waiting for a big time DT.
mke1010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
The best selection was Williams. We have been waiting for a DT for how many years? I know since I have been on this forum we have all been waiting for a big time DT.

And we got one at #28 that could have been a top 10 pick in some other years. We certainly got a top 3 DT in a good D line class- that is real value right there.
I wont be shocked if 10 years down the line, Williams has had a better career than Dareus.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty stoked about this draft.

Best pick: Kayvon Webster. We committed highway robbery with this pick. I know a lot of you don't know much about him. Trust me. 2-3 years from now, ya'll be like Applause Dancing . Fox/Elway know how to pick DB's, and he's gonna be solid. Him + Harris + Rodgers-Cromartie + Champ at Safety is gonna be ridiculous two years from now.

Worst pick: I would say picking yet another QB, but in all fairness, it's in the 7th round. By that point, you're really throwing darts anyways, so whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
RazorStar wrote:

Not really. CM was never special, ever!! He was however consistent, and reliable.

His HOF selection had more to do with him playing a long time than anything else. He was never the best back in the league, probably not even the 3rd or 4th best. He was however always there.

This kid has exactly what you mentioned. Grit and toughness. Skill set, he and Martin are quite similar.

Not like I'm comparing him to Brown, Dickerson, Payton, Earl campbell, et al.

Anyway, thinking CM was special in any area outside of longevity is delusional. He was an above average back for a very long time. Thats it!

Ball seems like the same thing.

I agree with every word you said Akrna. In fact, I was never a big fan of Martin. He was not an exciting player to watch. I always thought TD was significantly better than CM. I was kinda miffed CM made the hall of fame and not TD.

But I respect CM specifically for everything you said- consistency, work ethic and professionalism. He rarely made the highlight reel but at the end of each season you look up and he had 1300 yards. When Lacy fell to us, I thought we would draft him. He was the sexier pick. But I certainly understand why Elway and co went with Ball. His discipline, consistency, professionalism and production were hard to pass up.
I think it is hilarious that Curtis Martin doesn't even love football. He played because he was good. He worked hard like a regular job and earned his pay. Something to be said for that.

However, dude is not a hall of famer. He is in because he played for the Patriots and the Jets. Two of the darlings of the east coast media and bias that is the Pro Football Hall of Fame. RB's have shorter careers. Is the only criteria for a hall of fame RB now longevity? A complete injustice that Martin is in over TD. Also don't see how Gradishar is not in. He is still making tackles.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1234567 wrote:
I'm pretty stoked about this draft.

Best pick: Kayvon Webster. We committed highway robbery with this pick. I know a lot of you don't know much about him. Trust me. 2-3 years from now, ya'll be like Applause Dancing . Fox/Elway know how to pick DB's, and he's gonna be solid. Him + Harris + Rodgers-Cromartie + Champ at Safety is gonna be ridiculous two years from now.

Out of plain interest: What makes you so certain about Webster? I, like many, don't know much about him other than the few paragraphs of internet scouting reports we got a hold of during the last 24h. They actually make me almost as optimistic as you are, yet stemming from your praise above you seem to know or have watched/followed him more than others. Anyways... I am looking foward to observe Webster's progress. Somehow this pick does have a bit of 'diamond in the rough' aura to it. If Belichick had picked him, the media would have been all over this. Just like every year when Bill gets all funky with his under the radar type selections. It almost has reached the level of self-fulfilling prophecy. Laughing

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: