Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers Select BJ Daniels with the 237th pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clark87

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
Pandomonium wrote:
meanwhile, we havent drafted ONE cornerback the entire draft while our division opponents have loaded up at WR

Yeah but we did a lot to improve our pass rush. Tank and lemonwaa should be able to make contributions from day one as edge rushers. I like the idea of some form of ray mac, Justin, Aldon and Dorsey inside with some combination of Aldon, brooks and the two rooks on the outside in the nickel. Everyone of those guys can get after the qb and now that we finally have enough quality dlman we should be able to get some form of rotation going, something we haven't done much of on the DL since fangio took control of the d.

Honestly this is what I was hoping we would have done last season bc I knew that its a lot to ask of guys to play such a high number of snaps for so many years. We need to plan for a 19 game season

We added nnamdi to an already solid secondary, Eric reid is going to be a very good 49er

for a very long time. I like the moves we have made for the most part. There were probably less than 5 corners in this draft that would have stolen pt from Cully, brown, aso and Rodgers. S was a much more glaring need than corner. So what did u really expect? Lots of our guys are on one year deals, which probably just means we will resign a couple when the time comes... not worried. As long as we have a killer pass rush and good safeties corners are easier to find than most think

AGREE 100% The d-line will be a bigger beast this next season and that will definitely help out our corners. Cully Brown Aso Rodger not going to be replaced by anyone in the draft .
Forge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know absolutely nothing about this kid, but I found the grade comments on walter football regarding the pick to be hilarious.

Quote:
237. B.J. Daniels, QB, South Florida: C Grade
B.J. Daniels over Matt Scott, Tyler Bray and Sean Renfree? I feel like the 49ers are trolling us.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
I know absolutely nothing about this kid, but I found the grade comments on walter football regarding the pick to be hilarious.

Quote:
237. B.J. Daniels, QB, South Florida: C Grade
B.J. Daniels over Matt Scott, Tyler Bray and Sean Renfree? I feel like the 49ers are trolling us.

lol..yeah..they are having their "mayock/mel kiper" moment. Bj is a better QB then all of those guys, He suffered from lack of players around him and a horrible offesnsive system..Bray is not only lazy but he is highly inacurrate..BJ is 4 feet shorter than him and BJ still sees the field better and makes better decisions...Bj is inconsistent at teams but much of that is due to the problems i just mentioned...by the end of camp..he is better than the back ups you have now in my opinion..or will be by the end of the camp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help explain the pick a little more. We drafted an athlete not a QB.

Quote:
49ers seventh-round pick QB B.J. Daniels is expected to get reps at running back, receiver and returner in addition to quarterback.
It's hardly a surprise, as Daniels isn't known for his passing. He has no shot at making it as an NFL quarterback. A flier for a 49ers team that was brimming with draft picks, Daniels is a roster long-shot.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/04/nate-montana-to-get-another-tryout-with-49ers.html
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jr494ever wrote:
This may help explain the pick a little more. We drafted an athlete not a QB.

Quote:
49ers seventh-round pick QB B.J. Daniels is expected to get reps at running back, receiver and returner in addition to quarterback.
It's hardly a surprise, as Daniels isn't known for his passing. He has no shot at making it as an NFL quarterback. A flier for a 49ers team that was brimming with draft picks, Daniels is a roster long-shot.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/04/nate-montana-to-get-another-tryout-with-49ers.html

Maybe he's the poor man's version of a guy I wanted in the 7th (but he went in the 5th) - Denard Robinson.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

question from a Maiocco chat

Quote:
You seem to really really like BJ Daniels right now, meaning there is something your are not telling us.... Was he a mid round QB/ATH/Skill player pre-ankle snap? Watched a lot of highlights and he definitely is an elusive player with the ball in his hands. Leavitt had to have a hand in this pickup.by u/carnurd 4:00 PM

Absolutely, Jim Leavitt gave him a strong recommendation. The 49ers had just two QBs active for nearly every game the past two seasons. I was told leading up to the draft that one of the things Jim Harbaugh wanted was the possibility of a third quarterback who could do a lot of different things. That's why I think it's going to be difficult for Scott Tolzien to hold off Daniels for a roster spot.

Honestly, I don't see it from Daniels but that explains the pick a lot. And one of the first names I thought of when considering who's roster spot is now in jeopardy was Tolizen. The fact that the roster is now even deeper, keeping 3 QBs might not be feasible. If you could get some more out of Daniels, say as a returner, while still developing as a QB, that pick would make a lot of sense.
Psychlone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
question from a Maiocco chat...

[b]Absolutely, Jim Leavitt gave him a strong recommendation.
Hope it works out but nbd otherwise. The last two times that we know of when a coach recommended a pick, Ronald Johnson via John Morton and of course Mays via Sing. Hope it's just a USC thang instead of a coach one but I'd just rather the scouts, Harbaugh and Baalke do the selecting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
question from a Maiocco chat

Quote:
You seem to really really like BJ Daniels right now, meaning there is something your are not telling us.... Was he a mid round QB/ATH/Skill player pre-ankle snap? Watched a lot of highlights and he definitely is an elusive player with the ball in his hands. Leavitt had to have a hand in this pickup.by u/carnurd 4:00 PM

Absolutely, Jim Leavitt gave him a strong recommendation. The 49ers had just two QBs active for nearly every game the past two seasons. I was told leading up to the draft that one of the things Jim Harbaugh wanted was the possibility of a third quarterback who could do a lot of different things. That's why I think it's going to be difficult for Scott Tolzien to hold off Daniels for a roster spot.

Honestly, I don't see it from Daniels but that explains the pick a lot. And one of the first names I thought of when considering who's roster spot is now in jeopardy was Tolizen. The fact that the roster is now even deeper, keeping 3 QBs might not be feasible. If you could get some more out of Daniels, say as a returner, while still developing as a QB, that pick would make a lot of sense.

That's what pretty much came to my mind once I saw the video on him. I posted the same thing on another site. Wanted to post here but the site was over whelmed with posters. I also think that Tolizen days are numbered. We need to remember why he was kept as opposed to Johnson last year. Well the situation has changed. This guy Danials is a very talented runner. And all the potenial uses he has for this team make him a valuable asset to keep. He only needs to be the insurance QB while they try to develop him farther. He has a real upside. His college number is 7 so obviously he can't get that one, but he could take 7 1/2 and be Colins mini-me. LOL. I think he has the talent to play Rb ( very elusive and shifty ) and could you imagine the possibilities with him in the backfield with Colin?
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park - you will always be in my heart
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if anything he will be a PS player. Hes not going to beat out tolzien and probably wont contribute anything on offense. I dont think anyone else would add him to their 53 either.

I like the idea of only going into the season with two QBs on the roster. you rarely see the third guy anyways, we could always carry two QBs on the PS. they would still practice with the team and would still carry the clipboard on the sidelines Laughing not like the 3rd guy gets many reps anyways.

BJ is a russell wilson imitator, any way he contributes beyond that is gravy. I have low expectations for him

^a seahawks fan in reference to 2013

FOREVER FAITHFUL
the niners lost the superbowl
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
Some Seattle fans are really getting out of hand.
adamq

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure he hasnt done it since HS (if at all) but mayne theres a chamc he coild contribute as a returner, too, a la Brad Smith.

-kiltman
Forge

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe that he'd beat out tolzien, but harbaugh does love the versatility. Its hard to know what the coaching staff is thinking, but with the trade for McCoy, it doesn't seem they are as high on tolzien as I thought they were. That'd be a little disappointing as I really thought we may have stumbled onto a gem. When it comes to qbs though, I have absolute faith in harbaugh. If he feels the team is better of with McCoy as number 2, or a depth chart without tolzien, I have no problems with it.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
757-NINER

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
I think if anything he will be a PS player. Hes not going to beat out tolzien and probably wont contribute anything on offense. I dont think anyone else would add him to their 53 either.

I like the idea of only going into the season with two QBs on the roster. you rarely see the third guy anyways, we could always carry two QBs on the PS. they would still practice with the team and would still carry the clipboard on the sidelines Laughing not like the 3rd guy gets many reps anyways.

BJ is a russell wilson imitator, any way he contributes beyond that is gravy. I have low expectations for him

I think he would get snatched up fairly quickly if he hit the waiver wire. I read that the Seahawks were going to draft him, we just beat them to the punch. A lot to teams would grab him just for their scout team, to better prepare for the read option.

The thinking is you want a guy that mirrors your starter more in skill-set so if CK goes down, you won't see a dramatic shift in the offense like we saw when we went from Alex to CK. That's why we went after McCoy. He's a guy who has that ability to use his legs. He was a pretty good runner in college. If they keep Daniels, that's really what it would be based upon, IMO. He's a better fit with the offense because of the read-option. It's not a indictment against Tolizen, just that his fit for this offense going forward probably isn't the best. Some team will get a quality pocket-passer as a backup who could possibly turn into a starter one day. He would never get that chance here so its a opportunity for him as well.

Last edited by 757-NINER on Wed May 01, 2013 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:

I think he would get snatched up fairly quickly if he hit the waiver wire. I read that the Seahawks were going to draft him, we just beat them to the punch. A lot to teams would grab him just for their scout team, to better prepare for the read option.

I think the thinking is you want a guy that mirrors your starter more in skill-set so if CK goes down, you won't see a dramatic shift in the offense like we saw when we went from Alex to CK. That's why we went after McCoy. He's a guy who has that ability to use his legs. He was a pretty good runner in college. If they keep Daniels, that's really what it would be based upon, IMO. He's a better fit with the offense because of the read-option. It's not a indictment against Tolizen, just that his fit for this offense going forward probably isn't the best. Some team will get a quality pocket-passer as a backup who could possibly turn into a starter one day. He would never get that chance here so its a opportunity for him as well.

The thing about Tolzien is if we really thought he was the best backup for us, why would we draft a guy and trade for another guy who have similar skillsets to Kaep? All signs so far are pointing to Tolzien being our 3rd QB but what if we might not be able to keep a 3rd QB. Preseason and training camp is going to determine alot for our backup QB situation.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got some potential or we wouldn't have taken him. But being a tenth or so quicker than Tolzien is not going to make up for 10 to 15% difference in their completion percentages. If he can improve with good coaching then OK. But Tolzien is about as accurate as they come and has shown a great ability to read defenses in the few chances he had in preseason. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

I think Harbaugh likes to get QBs and see what he can make out of them. Ill be perfectly happy if he can make something out of him. We can probably trade Colt or Scott for a future pick if this guy works out.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly even though Johnson outplayed Tolzein in the preseason games last year, Tolzein was kept because he was a better fit as the third string QB. The issue is not just that Danials is a better back up in that he match's Colins skill set better or that he is a step faster. He is by far a better runner ( very elusive and has an RB moves and vision. Harbaugh wants to keep a third QB active for game's but that QB must be able to play other positions. This would fit Danial's skill set, and by the way also Gray's. What he wants them only as insurance in case both QB's go down in a game which has been known to happen. He could then even stash a fourth QB on the practice squad. The third QB would be the swiss army knife and the fourth could even be a better Qb than the third. This seems to give a big advantage to Danials since he could play mulitiple positions. Harbaugh wants the third QB active. I also think Tolzein would servive the practice squad where as Danials would not.

It's difficult to judge a Qb's over all accuracy by highlights because they don't show the bad plays. But what is seen is that he is as shifty as RW but built more powerfully with good speed and a running backs instincts and vision. That's the type of QB that seems to be in demand now. Just having him to mimic the the new breed of QB's in on the scout team ( RW, RG3, etc) makes him a valuable third Qb for any team. I don't see him as being on the scout team but rather either making the roster or getting cut.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: