Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

7th Round (216): Charles Johnson, WR, Grand Valley State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:
Boykin backup for Cobb, Johnson backup for Jones/Nelson.
Completely disagree. Boykin is Jones without the speed.
I wouldn't call it speed for Jones Laughing It's just, Boykin has less yet! Laughing
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Jones is many things but fast is not one of them..... Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:
Boykin backup for Cobb, Johnson backup for Jones/Nelson.
Completely disagree. Boykin is Jones without the speed.
I wouldn't call it speed for Jones Laughing It's just, Boykin has less yet! Laughing
My argument is still relatively valid then. #MyPride
justo

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/johnson-fueled-by-fathers-fight-rp9s2qv-206534061.html

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/johnson-fueled-by-fathers-fight-rp9s2qv-206534061.html
So cool, great story. I am really pulling for this kid.

Credit: TheDeeeeej

Adopt a T-Wolf: Kevin Love
PPG RPG APG
Kal-El

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:

For a 4.5/4.6 guy, though, it seems like he manages to get deep and make more than his share of plays downfield. Think
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-El wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

For a 4.5/4.6 guy, though, it seems like he manages to get deep and make more than his share of plays downfield. Think

Plays fast for his paper speed, for sure. One of the best in the game at getting off press and his soft hands help a great deal as well. Bunch of things can make fast guys play slow and slow guys play fast. Think Jennings helped him a great deal in this area. Don't let the big plays by Jones down field fool ya though. One of the best at pushing off in the game as well..... Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ya Palmy,

I watch a handful or more practices every year. Last year Jarrett Boykin caught my eye in practice, getting open, making plays on the ball, having reliable hands.

I know he had a hell-of-a career at V-tech. He looked good in the preseason games too. He's 6'2" 217, 36" vert, 11' broad (pro day broad, but you can't really fudge that one.) Obviously the guy is big and powerful. The combine running events were not the bright points of his resume, of course. He's a 4.6 guy. Not good, at all.

What say you on his tape grade? Did you watch him coming out?

sig courtesy of BrettFavre004. THANKS!!
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:

What a kid. What speed!
Somewhere beyond this world Al Davis must have been on the phone trying to trade up.
GreenMeansGo

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson grades out pretty well in most physical categories.
Below average in 3c and 20s and terribly short arms at the position.
Motivation is hard to measure, but by the background story he should have plenty.

What constitutes a deep draft class?
Here are the #'s for the past few years

year/total/1st/rnds 1-3l
2005 31 3 14
2006 30 25 9
2007 34 2 16
2008 35 33 14
2009 34 7 14
2010 31 22 13
2011 28 4 11
2012 33 5 14
2013 28 8 11

Right now though this class was viewed as weak at draft day, tying the only other year with 28 taken and 2nd lowest in 3 rounds.

I believe the position of WR is a lot like many others. The successful are the players in the right position the most often. The best players though are the fastest, strongest, biggest in the right position the most often. This class had many small, slot receivers and teams didn't bite.
Beast

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Kal-El wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

Plays fast for his paper speed, for sure. One of the best in the game at getting off press and his soft hands help a great deal as well. Bunch of things can make fast guys play slow and slow guys play fast. Think Jennings helped him a great deal in this area. Don't let the big plays by Jones down field fool ya though. One of the best at pushing off in the game as well..... Wink

Also Jones has VERY good quickness. Which makes him very good at stop and goes and/or fakes ... and so, if the CB bites on the wrong thing, HE GONE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWPQGJRPmQ0

Basically he normally makes the most of CB mistakes...
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Jones is quick at scale. But I don't view this as high bar in terms of what NFL CB's see every day. What they don't see is what I said above.

Pure hands catcher. He either pulls it in clean, or drops it. Nothing in the middle that will slow many down. The last two things play off of Jones strength. About as strong as any WR that has EVER played the game(look it up). You can't press the man and if by chance you stay with him downfield he has that rare ability to push you away at the hip and not pull the flag.

Best thing about Jones at this point in my eyes is that he knows his game and tries to excel at his strong points. I have said it many times before. Try to be the very best at what you are. Don't try to be something your not out there. This is Jones in every way. Man knows his pros and cons!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know the strength thing about Jones. You can see it. It's his game. I don't see him as a physical receiver, though. Just damn strong.

With Boykin though, kid made a helluva catch in week 17 on that fourth down. Big time play right there in a big spot. I expect some solid performances this year from him.

Palmy, anyone you could compare Boykin to in the league right now or in recent memory?
Defense Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I agree that Jones is quick at scale. But I don't view this as high bar in terms of what NFL CB's see every day. What they don't see is what I said above.

Pure hands catcher. He either pulls it in clean, or drops it. Nothing in the middle that will slow many down. The last two things play off of Jones strength. About as strong as any WR that has EVER played the game(look it up). You can't press the man and if by chance you stay with him downfield he has that rare ability to push you away at the hip and not pull the flag.

Best thing about Jones at this point in my eyes is that he knows his game and tries to excel at his strong points. I have said it many times before. Try to be the very best at what you are. Don't try to be something your not out there. This is Jones in every way. Man knows his pros and cons!

Solid point palmy, and one more young players would be wise to made aware of, and embrace. Awfully easy to listen to others, and envision oneself as a somebody your not, and end up off the grid for it. Jones just seems to show so many similarities to Anquan Boldin (point made often on this forum in past), and Boldin epitomizes a guy who knew who he was, and played effectively to those strengths! Despite his measurables coming out, he tore it up right out of the gate. Jones stacks up nicely with him:

Jones / Boldin

Height: 6'1" 6'1"
Weight: 207 217
40 yd: 4.54 4.72
20 yd: 2.62 2.77
10 yd: 1.49 1.61
Verfical: 35" 33.5"
Broad Jump: 10.5' 9.5'
Shuttle: 4.20 4.33
3-Cone: 7.06 7.33
Bench: 22 NA

Jones is faster, quicker and although 10 lbs lighter, showed good strength. He certainly appeared to emerge more as an impact player last year after Jennings injury. It will be very interesting to see where he takes it from here. Ripe opportunity to be the man...and in a contract year. That's pure bank!
Gopackgonerd

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defense Rules wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

Solid point palmy, and one more young players would be wise to made aware of, and embrace. Awfully easy to listen to others, and envision oneself as a somebody your not, and end up off the grid for it. Jones just seems to show so many similarities to Anquan Boldin (point made often on this forum in past), and Boldin epitomizes a guy who knew who he was, and played effectively to those strengths! Despite his measurables coming out, he tore it up right out of the gate. Jones stacks up nicely with him:

Jones / Boldin

Height: 6'1" 6'1"
Weight: 207 217
40 yd: 4.54 4.72
20 yd: 2.62 2.77
10 yd: 1.49 1.61
Verfical: 35" 33.5"
Broad Jump: 10.5' 9.5'
Shuttle: 4.20 4.33
3-Cone: 7.06 7.33
Bench: 22 NA

Jones is faster, quicker and although 10 lbs lighter, showed good strength. He certainly appeared to emerge more as an impact player last year after Jennings injury. It will be very interesting to see where he takes it from here. Ripe opportunity to be the man...and in a contract year. That's pure bank!

I never thought of comparing Jones and Bolden till now..

I think another similarity is sideline catching. They sure have a nack for locating that ball man. That's what I love about Jones and Nelson on the outside. Not just limited to beating people deep.

Isn't it weird too that they both had back in the spotlight years last season?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: