Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

7th Round (216): Charles Johnson, WR, Grand Valley State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
driftwood

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
driftwood wrote:
svp wrote:

Boykin got hit really hard last season and held on to the ball.
Very impressive.

Boykin is gonna be really hard to unseat @ the #4 spot... but if someone can do it, Charles has the 'tools' on paper that's for sure

the #4-5/6 WR camp battle is gonna be exciting

I would be at some level shocked if Boykin was not the 3rd in line to play out wide after Nelson/Jones this year. I'm looking for big things out of Boykin this year.

oh I totally agree... I just said 4th as a matter of falling behind Cobb, Nelson & Jones... I really like Boykin though, love his hands & his ability to use his size as leverage (tough kid too, specifically that hit he took last year while still holding the ball is a big boy play from a young undrafted guy)
HokieHigh

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll plug Boykin here yet again as well. Dude has some special tools. Go Hokies. Big strong hands that he uses to snap the ball out of the air with. He doesn't have elite speed by any means but he can go up and get the ball at the point. Good vertical skills and good at locating the ball when its in the air. He is used to quick adjustments on broken plays, after all he did play (and play well!) with Tyrod Taylor. In my opinion the dude is a prototype receiver who just lacks that extra gear.

I'm excited to see what Johnson brings to the table though because it sounds like from you guys he has the right stuff to come out and perform.
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boykin backup for Cobb, Johnson backup for Jones/Nelson.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattwaukee wrote:

I don't really see that at all. Boykin's game plays much better outside than it would inside, I would be surprised to see them go with Boykin as the first man up at the slot if Cobb goes down.

To be honest though, we don't really have a prototypical slot guy besides Cobb at this point. We play Finley a lot in the slot because of his match-up problems against linebackers, probably see some RBs in the slot if Lacy/Franklin can do it, but as far as WR I think that's going to be a bit of a sore spot for us. I guess maybe Boykin would play in the slot just out of necessity, but I think I'd rather see Jones inside with Boykin/Nelson outside personally. I don't love Jones in the slot because he's seems to struggle to hang onto the ball in traffic, but it is what it is.
Macc_Aviv

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Packers drafted two speedsters at WR in Johnson and Dorsey, and signed another sub 4.4 guy in Myles White as a UDFA. I also read a very reliable writer saying the Packers were interested to some degree in Corey Fuller, another guy in the track athlete mold who ended up being drafted by the Lions. This says to me the Packers are looking for a vertical deep threat type of guy to compliment the players who are already on the roster.

Palmy did say somewhere that it's a copy-cat league, so maybe we are looking for our Torrey Smith type of threat. If one of these guys emerges, the Packers could go into next season with 2 new elements on offense (deep burner WR and a running game).
Kampman74

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is going to be fun watching a WR battle for a change. How long has it been since the number four spot has already been a given on this Packers team? Six years I think going back to 07 after we got Jordy, I think.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc_Aviv wrote:
The Packers drafted two speedsters at WR in Johnson and Dorsey, and signed another sub 4.4 guy in Myles White as a UDFA. I also read a very reliable writer saying the Packers were interested to some degree in Corey Fuller, another guy in the track athlete mold who ended up being drafted by the Lions. This says to me the Packers are looking for a vertical deep threat type of guy to compliment the players who are already on the roster.

Palmy did say somewhere that it's a copy-cat league, so maybe we are looking for our Torrey Smith type of threat. If one of these guys emerges, the Packers could go into next season with 2 new elements on offense (deep burner WR and a running game).
Yes sir. This is all part of becoming a more well rounded team IMO. If you have a guy who can consistently create separation down the field, it is a dangerous move to leave him 1 on 1 and even more dangerous to press 1 on 1. There is where this new running game comes in, if you can get the running game going and get the safeties to bite on play action you now have a free 1 on 1 with a guy who can win the 50/50 balls and can be open down the field for our deadly accurate QB. Now if you play off coverage with no help, you give them a free release to work whatever route they want. Very hard combo to stop.
justo

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:

Yes sir. This is all part of becoming a more well rounded team IMO. If you have a guy who can consistently create separation down the field, it is a dangerous move to leave him 1 on 1 and even more dangerous to press 1 on 1. There is where this new running game comes in, if you can get the running game going and get the safeties to bite on play action you now have a free 1 on 1 with a guy who can win the 50/50 balls and can be open down the field for our deadly accurate QB. Now if you play off coverage with no help, you give them a free release to work whatever route they want. Very hard combo to stop.
Part of it is that Finley is really the vertical threat of the team, IMO. He's off contract next year. Doesn't hurt to have another vertical guy on the team.

#FREEBARRINGTON
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:

Part of it is that Finley is really the vertical threat of the team, IMO. He's off contract next year. Doesn't hurt to have another vertical guy on the team.
Well Nelson can be the guy too, but he has 1 year of production and was hurt almost all of last year. Plus he is a guy who needs a long time for those long strides to get open. It has been obvious to me that it takes more than 1 year to really nail this offense down as a WR. Cobb is smart as hell and is still learning it. Hopefully one of these young guys can stick and be a legit deep threat WR for us in the coming years.
svp

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can this happen?

1st down the WR races most of the way down the field for a pass
that ends up dumped off for a few yards.
Then that WR is winded and steps off the field on the teams sideline.
2nd down, another WR steps up to run the same long sprint route with an
incomplete pass on the other side of the feild.
3rd down another, possibly the 1st down player, WR runs the long
pass and connects.

Can that happen? Does that happen? I know ARod like the hurry up O.
But is it co ordinated to that level,where WR play in tandem?
And it does seem silly but if the player just pre knowingly steps out
after the play with the fresh new body ready to go for the next down.

Is that a thing?

Arodsmightybelt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its scientifically feasible Shocked

want.
smetana34

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This years Dale Moss
packerbacker87

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smetana34 wrote:
This years Dale Moss

Hes better.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willink wrote:
http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/03/is-this-man-the-next-miles-austin-or-marques-colston/

gonna drop this here

Good read, thanks for this!

packerbacker87 wrote:
smetana34 wrote:
This years Dale Moss

Hes better.

For sure. Check out that link. Charles Johnson fits that Julio Jones/Dez Bryant mold physically. Just a highly gifted athlete.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattwaukee wrote:
Completely disagree. Boykin is Jones without the speed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: