Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

7-213: MINN - Mike Mauti [LB] Penn State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 24361
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
That approach was tried with Greg Childs, I cant help but wonder if he truly had the strength in the knee to be participating as he was. Mauti has had several injuries to the knee, i cant help but wonder the same. He may simply be not putting in the time needed to fully heal, which may reduce the strength of his knee to take on future hits.


Childs was cleared by our staff and a MD. No medical professional is going to clear someone if they aren't ready to resume activity.

Also, just for future reference, referring to strength of the knee isn't accurate. The knee is a joint, an in the case of both Childs and Mauti the joint articulation is fine. Both players injuries are to the soft tissue surrounding the knee.

Just a small pet peave of mine Wink

If Sug clears them both then they've gone through the four necessary stages of rehab and the surrounding musculature is back to a level of strength it was at prior to the injury. Same goes for the range of motion and flexibility at the joint.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chuck44


Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Posts: 1358
Location: ohio
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
That approach was tried with Greg Childs, I cant help but wonder if he truly had the strength in the knee to be participating as he was. Mauti has had several injuries to the knee, i cant help but wonder the same. He may simply be not putting in the time needed to fully heal, which may reduce the strength of his knee to take on future hits.


Childs was cleared by our staff and a MD. No medical professional is going to clear someone if they aren't ready to resume activity.

Also, just for future reference, referring to strength of the knee isn't accurate. The knee is a joint, an in the case of both Childs and Mauti the joint articulation is fine. Both players injuries are to the soft tissue surrounding the knee.

Just a small pet peave of mine Wink

If Sug clears them both then they've gone through the four necessary stages of rehab and the surrounding musculature is back to a level of strength it was at prior to the injury. Same goes for the range of motion and flexibility at the joint.


Right..no professional team doctor has ever put a guy back in action before he was ready...are you kidding me!! these guys are being paid millions of dollars to perform NOW...immense pressure are put on staff and athletes to get back on the field sooner than later...look at RG3 ...do you really think he should have been cleared to go back on the field after his initial injury...no way...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47772
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they are cleared, id still be hesitant in the work load that they are exposed too.

But I ask again, why is it that players like Mauti and Childs seem more prone to these knee injuries then other players? Is it simply bad luck, or is there something more? Is there something that the Vikings can do prevent further injury in the future?

Even if these guys are cleared medically, i still dont see the harm in taking things very slow. Mauti and Childs arent going to be asked to have big roles with the team, if they even make it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Viking


Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 2628
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Even if they are cleared, id still be hesitant in the work load that they are exposed too.

But I ask again, why is it that players like Mauti and Childs seem more prone to these knee injuries then other players? Is it simply bad luck, or is there something more? Is there something that the Vikings can do prevent further injury in the future?

Even if these guys are cleared medically, i still dont see the harm in taking things very slow. Mauti and Childs arent going to be asked to have big roles with the team, if they even make it.
. If you saw the way Mauti was hurt I definitely lean towards freak accidents. He was rolled into by lineman on two different occasions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 24361
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
Right..no professional team doctor has ever put a guy back in action before he was ready...are you kidding me!! these guys are being paid millions of dollars to perform NOW...immense pressure are put on staff and athletes to get back on the field sooner than later...look at RG3 ...do you really think he should have been cleared to go back on the field after his initial injury...no way...

There is a large difference between clearing someone from a known injury that has been found through medical imaging, and clearing someone based on a sideline palpation exam and functionality test.

On the sideline AT's largely depend on the player to let them know how they're feeling. I have no idea what the results of his sideline exam were so it's impossible for me to say if he should have been cleared to go back to play or not.

I should have qualified my response further and said no ethical medical professional would return a player to a game if the injury is known and there is a chance of further harm.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 24361
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Even if they are cleared, id still be hesitant in the work load that they are exposed too.

But I ask again, why is it that players like Mauti and Childs seem more prone to these knee injuries then other players? Is it simply bad luck, or is there something more? Is there something that the Vikings can do prevent further injury in the future?

Even if these guys are cleared medically, i still dont see the harm in taking things very slow. Mauti and Childs arent going to be asked to have big roles with the team, if they even make it.

Genetic pre-disposition, bad luck, and any other number of things. Childs' injury in camp last year was a freak incident.

Injuries happen, and the same injuries to Mauti and Childs could have happened to any other athlete in that experienced similar force to the body.

Taking things slow is what happens during the actual rehab process. Once they have been cleared to return to play there is the same chance of that athlete being injured as another.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47772
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Viking wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Even if they are cleared, id still be hesitant in the work load that they are exposed too.

But I ask again, why is it that players like Mauti and Childs seem more prone to these knee injuries then other players? Is it simply bad luck, or is there something more? Is there something that the Vikings can do prevent further injury in the future?

Even if these guys are cleared medically, i still dont see the harm in taking things very slow. Mauti and Childs arent going to be asked to have big roles with the team, if they even make it.
. If you saw the way Mauti was hurt I definitely lean towards freak accidents. He was rolled into by lineman on two different occasions.


Mauti had three separate knee injuries. This is what is curious. Why does he have such bad luck when engaged in contact? Does he not protect his knees? Are his knees more prone to these injuries then other players? Has he not recovered fully to the point where he can take these hits without tearing something?

I ask this because its odd that one player would have three freak injuries in the knees, it just doesnt seem like a coincidence to call it a freak accident.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AQuintus


Joined: 16 Oct 2012
Posts: 1312
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
That approach was tried with Greg Childs, I cant help but wonder if he truly had the strength in the knee to be participating as he was.


He blew out the ligament in his healthy knee, too. There's no reason to believe that it was anything more than a freak incident.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 6631
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Childs and Mauti clearly need more time then the regular athlete since they have had reocurring injuries. Why risk further damage during a players rookie season, when they probably wont have a major role anyway.


Yup yup. Best stash those guys away, PUP or IR, and get them back to 100%. Neither Mauti nor Childs were slated to start anyway, there's no need for them to play right away. You don't want them to force themselves in training, just for them to get injured again.


Just curious, and not just calling you two out, it just happened to be that you two brought up the point.

Did you guys want Adrian to start on the PUP list last year too?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3561
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Childs and Mauti clearly need more time then the regular athlete since they have had reocurring injuries. Why risk further damage during a players rookie season, when they probably wont have a major role anyway.


Yup yup. Best stash those guys away, PUP or IR, and get them back to 100%. Neither Mauti nor Childs were slated to start anyway, there's no need for them to play right away. You don't want them to force themselves in training, just for them to get injured again.


Just curious, and not just calling you two out, it just happened to be that you two brought up the point.

Did you guys want Adrian to start on the PUP list last year too?


Adrian is not the norm. Nor did Adrian suffer the same type of injury in consecutive years. Even then I did not expect AP to start game 1 (tho I did want him to play).

Childs and Mauti have struggeling with injuries for years on end. At this point, extreme caution seems prudent.
_________________

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47772
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian is also the franchise, Childs and Mauti are mid to late round nobodies at this point.

Of course there were obvious pressures to get Adrian ready to play. He is also a freak athlete and doesnt have a concerning injury history.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robb_K


Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 313
Location: Oude Niedorp, Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Even if they are cleared, id still be hesitant in the work load that they are exposed too.

But I ask again, why is it that players like Mauti and Childs seem more prone to these knee injuries then other players? Is it simply bad luck, or is there something more? Is there something that the Vikings can do prevent further injury in the future?

Even if these guys are cleared medically, i still dont see the harm in taking things very slow. Mauti and Childs arent going to be asked to have big roles with the team, if they even make it.


With The Vikings shortage of talent among their linebacker corps, I see Mauti as a possible eventual starter. He shouldn't be rushed to return before he is really ready. But, I can see him playing after, perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 this season's games have been played. IF The Vikings can watch him play for at least 1/2 this season's games, they'll know enough to, perhaps avoid signing a veteran FA linebacker, and use that cap money to help the team in other areas (OL?)
_________________
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9633/av5e.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 24361
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as Mauti has 90-100% of his R.O.M and 80-90% of his functional strength back he will begin doing more football specific drills.

At that point, it's up to Sug and the medical staff if he's given the full go.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robb_K


Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 313
Location: Oude Niedorp, Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Adrian is also the franchise, Childs and Mauti are mid to late round nobodies at this point.

Of course there were obvious pressures to get Adrian ready to play. He is also a freak athlete and doesnt have a concerning injury history.


They'd have been 2nd rounders (or no less than very high 3rd rounders had they not been injured). IF they get back to 96% of their former physical state, they project to be decent contributors (Childs 4th Receiver-Mauti-possible starter at LB-otherwise, very possible 4th LB). So, their recoveries are NOT trivial.
_________________
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9633/av5e.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chuck44


Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Posts: 1358
Location: ohio
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really amazing how naive' some people are in this forum...they think they know everything...I dont think these guys have ever played a competitive sport in their life...its getting to the point of making me not even want to comment on anything...smug attitudes and comments make me sick ...open your mind and listen...this forum has gone down IMO over the last year because of certain posters in this forum that post on every single comment ..it really is ridiculous
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group