Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

7-213: MINN - Mike Mauti [LB] Penn State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, he should have picked a bit earlier. 7th is too low for this kid. He just strikes me as one of those guys you draft in the 4th or 5th and you know you can plug him in.
fishtanked

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
BTN The Journey: Michael Mauti

That was awesome! I can't tell you how much I want Mauti and Hodges to be contributors for us.

Thanks Klomp.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
To me, he should have picked a bit earlier. 7th is too low for this kid. He just strikes me as one of those guys you draft in the 4th or 5th and you know you can plug him in.

This probably would have been the case, but with all the knee injuries that he has suffered, no team is going to spend that early of a pick on a player who may never realistically be able to play a down.

I see Childs and Mauti as players in the same boat, 2nd or 3rd round talents who fell entirely based on injury history.

I fully expect nothing from either player, but would of course, be delighted if they could find the field. It is a long shot though.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
thestonedkoala wrote:

This probably would have been the case, but with all the knee injuries that he has suffered, no team is going to spend that early of a pick on a player who may never realistically be able to play a down.

I see Childs and Mauti as players in the same boat, 2nd or 3rd round talents who fell entirely based on injury history.

I fully expect nothing from either player, but would of course, be delighted if they could find the field. It is a long shot though.

While I agree, if someone were to tell me last year that AP would not only come back by first week, but would almost break the rushing record and win MVP I probably would have brought that person to urgent care. I am not comparing Childs and Mauti to AP in anyway but their injuries are similar. As Rick said, the Vikings training staff can stack up with anyone in the league and it's hard to argue that we don't have the best in the NFL. So basically what I'm trying to say is I am way more optimistic than some when it comes to expecting at least Mauti on the field. Gotta have some faith that Sug can work his magic again on these guys.
2013 Adopt-A-Viking: LB Michael Mauti #56

Baseball: Yankees
Basketball: Knicks
Football: Vikings
Hockey: Rangers
NCAA Basketball: Cuse Orange
NCAA Football: THE Ohio State Buckeyes
fishtanked

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YooAdrian wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
thestonedkoala wrote:

While I agree, if someone were to tell me last year that AP would not only come back by first week, but would almost break the rushing record and win MVP I probably would have brought that person to urgent care. I am not comparing Childs and Mauti to AP in anyway but their injuries are similar. As Rick said, the Vikings training staff can stack up with anyone in the league and it's hard to argue that we don't have the best in the NFL. So basically what I'm trying to say is I am way more optimistic than some when it comes to expecting at least Mauti on the field. Gotta have some faith that Sug can work his magic again on these guys.

Don't forget what Sug has done with Greenway after his two acl injuries. He's played the past few years like he's never had a tear at all. The fact is acl injuries aren't that big of a deal anymore with all of the advances in sports medicine.

Mauti looked to be coming along very well in the video that was posted. I'm very optimistic. If anyone has the heart and desire to work his way back it's Mike Mauti!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've developed a bit of a knack for predicting who "the next" linebacker at Penn State is, and coming out of Mandeville, LA, I had Michael Mauti pegged to be that guy from day one. It can be argued that he was, but were it not for three knee injuries, it wouldn't have been a debate. Versatile leader who's played all three linebacker spots in a 4-3 base and one of the most intelligent players who's rolled through Happy Valley. Between he, Sean Lee, and Dan Connor, I'm fairly certain he'd have easily been the best of the trio had he stayed healthy.

So long as his rehab has gone okay, I think he will be able to successfully clinch a roster spot.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 2m
Michael Mauti is jogging around out here. Nothing really intense but he's moving ok all things considered.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Mauti, a seventh-round pick out of Penn State, was on the field briefly Friday, participating in walk-through concepts with the defense. But 5½ months removed from surgery to repair his left anterior cruciate ligament, Mauti’s most notable moment was his formal introduction to head athletic trainer Eric Sugarman and the Vikings’ medical staff.

In the middle of ACL rehab for the third time since 2009, Mauti has a goal of being ready to practice when training camp opens. But he’s also trying to control his ambition and admits he’s eager to unite with a staff that has successfully aided the ACL rehabilitation of standouts such as Adrian Peterson and Chad Greenway.

“It’s all about not getting ahead of yourself,” Mauti said. “It’s about knowing where you’re at and having a feeling for your body. I think I’ve got a pretty good feel for that. I know how to push the envelope without going overboard.”

Mauti has worked back to a point of being able to sprint and has transitioned into some light agility work. Having made successful comebacks from ACL injuries twice in college, he said he understands the process more than most.

“I know what to do, when to do it, how to do it,” Mauti said. “I’m getting better at it each time, unfortunately.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/206055391.html
[UMN]

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just stick him on IR for the year, let him rehab, study film, learn the defense, and then let him come in next year and compete for a starting spot. I think a year in an NFL weight room and a year to learn the defense would be a huge benefit for him.

Didn't Greenway spend his first year on IR (ACL tear in preseason)? It worked out well for him. There is absolutely no reason to rush Mauti back.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
I would just stick him on IR for the year, let him rehab, study film, learn the defense, and then let him come in next year and compete for a starting spot. I think a year in an NFL weight room and a year to learn the defense would be a huge benefit for him.

Didn't Greenway spend his first year on IR (ACL tear in preseason)? It worked out well for him. There is absolutely no reason to rush Mauti back.

Id rather see Mauti on PUP, right with Greg Childs. Let them both recover the entire offseason, camp and the first half of the year. Once the midpoint comes, the Vikes can determine if both players are worth bringing back depending on how the LBs and WRs look this year, in addition to what the Vikings record is.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:

Key word being preseason.

If he's healthy (which it sounds like he will be by training camp), there's no reason to stick him on IR.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
[UMN] wrote:

Key word being preseason.

If he's healthy (which it sounds like he will be by training camp), there's no reason to stick him on IR.

Agreed!

He'll learn far more practicing and playing than will on the PUP. Vikings need to see what they have instead of wondering if he'll be a good player next year.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That approach was tried with Greg Childs, I cant help but wonder if he truly had the strength in the knee to be participating as he was. Mauti has had several injuries to the knee, i cant help but wonder the same. He may simply be not putting in the time needed to fully heal, which may reduce the strength of his knee to take on future hits.

You have to wonder, why do players like Childs and Mauti have more issues with torn knee ligaments versus other players.

Childs and Mauti clearly need more time then the regular athlete since they have had reocurring injuries. Why risk further damage during a players rookie season, when they probably wont have a major role anyway.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Childs and Mauti clearly need more time then the regular athlete since they have had reocurring injuries. Why risk further damage during a players rookie season, when they probably wont have a major role anyway.

Yup yup. Best stash those guys away, PUP or IR, and get them back to 100%. Neither Mauti nor Childs were slated to start anyway, there's no need for them to play right away. You don't want them to force themselves in training, just for them to get injured again.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Robb_K

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
[UMN] wrote:

Id rather see Mauti on PUP, right with Greg Childs. Let them both recover the entire offseason, camp and the first half of the year. Once the midpoint comes, the Vikes can determine if both players are worth bringing back depending on how the LBs and WRs look this year, in addition to what the Vikings record is.

I think this is most reasonable. I don't think Mauti will need to stay out all season. I think he'll have a chance to be ready by the 5th-8th game, or so. I wouldn't rush him to try to compete for the starting job from Game 1. But, he should be safe to take hitting after about 1/3 of the season is over. Childs seems to be farther away. We'll just have to wait and see. But. I fully expect to see Mauti playing some games this season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: