Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 O-line talk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DistantRam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: 2013 O-line talk Reply with quote

As soon as Barrett Jones was drafted, I immediately started thinking what this means for our offensive line this year.

Teams these days tend to carry eight or nine offensive linemen on their rosters; we currently have eleven listed on the official website, which has our most recent acquisition down as an OT for some reason.

Four of the five starters appear set: Jake Long at left tackle, Scott Wells at centre, Harvey Dahl at right guard and Rodger Saffold at right tackle. The open spot is at left guard: Shelley Smith, Rok Watkins and Jones are all possibles for that starting place.

Then we have to consider that Long missed the last four games of 2012 with a back injury and was placed on injured reserve with torn biceps, while Saffold has missed thirteen games over the last two years. Hopefully both players are over their problems but our swing tackle must be prepared to cover at short notice and be effective at right tackle more than left, as any injury to Long would mean Saffold returning to the blindside. Chris Williams and Joe Barksdale are the current depth at tackle, with Ty Nsekhe behind them: surely three depth tackles won't make the final cut?

The situation at centre appears more straightforward: Wells is the starter and Jones will back him up for a year or two, before replacing him. Will Tim Barnes, last year's third string behind the now-departed Robert Turner, stay on the roster?

The most complex position from the roster perspective is guard. There has been talk, on several Rams forums at least, of Harvey Dahl being cut to make more cap room. The recent restructuring of Chris Long's contract makes that move less of a necessity but could the arrival of Jones precipitate Dahl's departure? Jones can fill in anywhere along the line and we also have Watkins (for whom our front office reportedly have high hopes) and another of last year's highly touted rookies in Brandon Washington vying for a spot in the starting line-up.

My guess is that we'll start the season with Long, Jones, Wells, Watkins and Saffold as the starters. Dahl will be cut or traded, so we'll keep Barksdale as our swing tackle and Washington and Smith for interior depth.

One thing is for certain: the training camp battle for roster spots on the o-line is going to be one of the more interesting ones at Rams Park this pre-season.
El ramster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man could you imagine if we land Clowney in 2014? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

LETS HOPE THE SKINS SUCK ARSE.

"Hot Pie" -House Hot Pie, All hail the King.
DistantRam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
Man could you imagine if we land Clowney in 2014? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

And he fits on the O-line how, exactly?

Very Happy
Jonezy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long--Watkins--Wells--Dahl--Saffold

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
Ray

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping we draft Brian Schweke Cal but I can't complain with the addition of Barrett Jones I'm glad he was still I was hoping no team moved up to snatch him from us which has happened in recent drafts
Emcee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DistantRam wrote:
El ramster wrote:

And he fits on the O-line how, exactly?

Very Happy

Clowney would play tackle, of course. His task would be sacking the blitzing linebacker.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have seen I have been on the Bartrett Jones train for a while now. I think I had him in my past 3 Mocks for the rams. I love this guy, he is your old school Lineman. While he may not be the most physically imposing, he still has great size. While he isnt a monster mauler, he is so smart knowing how to use leverage and angles to wall off defenders. What Im saying is, any weak spot of his game he has found other ways to get the job done.

He can play 4 spots on the OL, and start at 3 of them. He is Really a Center in the League, and he is so smart and vocal pre-snap. That is what we need to keep Sam focused on the play and not have to do line calls too.

Ive voiced my worries about Well's and his durability, I hope Im wrong, but Im not sure he will be worth his inflated salary after this season. Which is sort of ironic because the biggest question with Jones right now is his foot injury, but being young he will heal better, and he was plenty effective playing through it.

I still think Harvey Dahl is cut or restructured, Yea Long's contract restructure made room for the Draft picks, but we will still need to add other vets when guys get cut and what not. So there still needs to be money moved around, and with a guy like Jones, Dahl becomes expendable.

For 2013, I can see the line looking like:
Jake Long - Barrett Jones - Scott Wells - Rok Watkins - Roger Saffold

And in 2014 it very well could be all moved around again:
Jake Long - (New Player) - Barrett Jones - Rok Watkins - (New Player)

I like what we are now building along the Line
DistantRam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears as though Fisher isn't as high as some of us on Jones. According to an article on the official website, at least.

http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Fill-More-Needs-on-Drafts-Final-Day/d707a980-8630-4fc3-b9d6-e9ff4348e434

Quote:
"He'll come in and compete inside," Fisher said. "What he does almost immediately is he gives you the comfort level of knowing you have got a guy who is not a starter who you know can backup multiple positions and go in if something happens."

It could just be a case of playing down expectations for the Alabama star's first year in the NFL, while his foot fully heals, of course.
Halradio

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dahl's fate will be decided before training camp. If Jones and/or Watkins look like they can handle the load at OG, then I can see Dahl being cut loose.

Keep in mind the Rams are still in pretty precarious cap territory even with Long's restructuring. Teams need have some cash left over to sign somebody on the fly if somebody gets hurt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: