Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

207th Overall Pick: DE/OLB Mike Catapano, Princeton
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/7/8/4502490/kansas-city-chiefs-rookie-mike-catapano-justin-smith-princeton-bob-surace

Quote:
On how Catapano compares to Justin Smith:
"I was the assistant o-line coach for the Bengals, so every day for two years we had to block Justin. I don't care if it was Week 14 or it was the first day of training camp, Justin gave you his best effort. He was unbelievable in terms of that. Mike's the same way. It didn't matter if it was Week 9 against Yale or the third day of practice. He's the first in line, first to the meeting, hustles in practice, hustles through every drill. There's just a spirit and energy about him that he's going to be someone you enjoy coaching." "I'M NOT TELLING YOU HE IS JUSTIN SMITH AS A PLAYER, BUT HIS WORK ETHIC, HIS MOTOR, THERE ARE A LOT OF SIMILARITIES."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel2692 wrote:
God given talent?? lol I dunno he played in the ivy league. Maybe he's just a late bloomer.

Probably. The football world is getting smaller and smaller these days. Finding those diamonds in the rough in rounds 5-7 isn't as easy anymore. If there's a rookie Sumo wrestler in Japan that could be a NT in the NFL, someone is scouting him. Wink Look at that kid the Niners drafted.

Odds are against this guy being special or even a special teamer. Let's hope. Depth is certainly not a strength on this team.

I guard against getting too goofy over a guy with a great combine or highlight reel. The combine is a measurable to separate similarly rated prospects based on performance. And by performance, I don't mean their 20 good plays summarized in a Youtube video. See Boomer Grigsby.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer was a better football player than guys like Ryan Sims, Junior Savaii, or half of Dicky V's draft picks...lol Or.who was that.other guy a few years back everyone on here thought would be the next big thing...Niswanger?
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what she said...

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
bigballin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Story

Great Character

and Great Talent

This guy is a lock for the Hall of Fame...if only it were that easy.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catapano Will Play At 290 lbs. in 2014

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/2/25/5446556/catapano-will-play-at-290-lbs-in-2014

Quote:
Mike will play on the line as a 290 lbs. pass rushing monster this season, not OLB. Catapano was drafted as an OLB but switched to the line early last season and that is where he will stay. The comments about him being undersized are also inaccurate. He is currently hovering around 290 lbs. and that is where he plans to keep his weight at for next season. Cat was drafted as a 270 lbs OLB but has since stopped dieting and has let his body comeback to a natural weight of about 285-290 lbs where he played at as a Junior in college. Although he feels it would be possible to gain weight and play in the 300 lbs range Mike feels having the same speed and explosion he had at 270 lbs. is important for pass rushing. He feels he still has that now walking around at lean 285-290 and doesn't want to gain unnecessary pounds that won't help make him more athletic. He feels good where he is at now and feels that this will be a perfect playing weight for him. Look for big things from Big Cat in 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Catapano Will Play At 290 lbs. in 2014

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/2/25/5446556/catapano-will-play-at-290-lbs-in-2014

Quote:
Mike will play on the line as a 290 lbs. pass rushing monster this season, not OLB. Catapano was drafted as an OLB but switched to the line early last season and that is where he will stay. The comments about him being undersized are also inaccurate. He is currently hovering around 290 lbs. and that is where he plans to keep his weight at for next season. Cat was drafted as a 270 lbs OLB but has since stopped dieting and has let his body comeback to a natural weight of about 285-290 lbs where he played at as a Junior in college. Although he feels it would be possible to gain weight and play in the 300 lbs range Mike feels having the same speed and explosion he had at 270 lbs. is important for pass rushing. He feels he still has that now walking around at lean 285-290 and doesn't want to gain unnecessary pounds that won't help make him more athletic. He feels good where he is at now and feels that this will be a perfect playing weight for him. Look for big things from Big Cat in 2014.

Good insight. I am glad to see he has bulked up which will help him hold up more at the point of attack. The key will be functional bulk and not just added weight. Hopefully his strength and anchor has improved.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
samsel23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsel23 wrote:
ryknowssd wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:
apparently tore up the shrine bowl. Lots of good things being said on twitter.

A guy this big should not be able to move this well. His quickness in changing directions is crazy for a guy his size. I'm loving his game tape so far.

Ryk I know you were really down with Ziggy being worked into the RE position. I'm not at all comparing the two as athletes, but this is a guy I could see filling that void you missed with Ziggy.

His athleticism and strength are incredible for his size. I want to see this guy get to around 6'3 290 and see if he can keep that explosion.

Like Kush, we may not like the production out of the gate, but down the road he has skills!

Cool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good insight. I am glad to see he has bulked up which will help him hold up more at the point of attack. The key will be functional bulk and not just added weight. Hopefully his strength and anchor has improved.

Nic, I think the most telling thing about him putting on this weight is that he's STOPPED dieting to put the weight back on. This I think is telling on the functional bulk versus added weight. And it sounds like he made a decision to work hard at that weight rather than going further up and losing some explosion etc.
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like his potential. There were times he was great at collasping the pocket last year. Hopefully he can be a full time player for Tyson soon.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this topic was dredged up, it got me looking into Catapano a little bit more as he wasn't a combine invite. I found his arm length measured to 33-3/4" and his hand size was 10-3/8", both very good measurements.

I am really hoping Catapano can push Bailey and maybe even surpass him as the primary reserve at defensive end. It would be great if he could provide some push from a pass rush standpoint. I am really interested in seeing his development.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: