Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 174th pick Arizona Selects Ryan Swope

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: With the 174th pick Arizona Selects Ryan Swope Reply with quote

STRENGTHS: Sturdy frame with long arms and good muscular definition. Exhibits strong initial burst off the snap. Flexible hips to sink, burst and separate across the field. Displays strong awareness and anticipation of zone windows, and exhibits suddenness to flip, sit and locate the ball. Plucks the ball routinely, then looks it in and secures it before turning upfield. Fearless over the middle, and looks to extend plays after the catch. Possesses quick, agile feet and has a knack for shaking coverage with jukes and stabs.

Shows strong awareness of mismatches with linebackers and safeties, and possesses the 2nd level acceleration to beat either one. Tracks the ball well vertically, and adjusts his body nicely to throws off his frame. Effective 2nd-level cut-blocker when asked to support the run or quick WR screens. Consistently gives good effort to the whistle. Does not shy away from contact after the catch and flashes some power on contact to drag a defender.

WEAKNESSES: Struggles to break down and redirect rapidly, particularly when asked to plant and burst out of a pivot on underneath routes. Could be more physical against press, as he doesn't always utilize his solid frame to create space like he could. Isn't a real "burner", and relies more on quickness and fakes to create separation vertically. Will sit down and wait for the throw at times rather than drive back to the ball. Doesn't possess a huge "catch radius" and isn't a guy you can necessarily just throw it up to and rely on to go get it.

COMPARES TO: Brandon Stokley, WR, Denver Broncos - I look at Swope as a bigger, more athletic version of the veteran Stokely, but similar in terms of route-running efficiency, smarts, and craftiness in creating vertical separation. Although there are more athletic, explosive receivers in this year's group, few are more refined and ready to contribute than Swope, who probably falls somewhere between rounds 2 and 4, but is capable of putting up first-round numbers in the right offense. Has been designated by many as a pure "slot" target at the next level, but I see some tools that suggest he could be effective on the outside as well.

--Derek Stephens

STRENGTHS - Swope runs his routes at full speed and can pluck the ball away from his body without breaking stride. He is capable of running precise routes and uses his short area quickness and ability to change speed to consistently gain separation in and out of his breaks when given a free release. He runs through contact after the catch and is able to consistently pick up additional yardage.

WEAKNESSES - Swope has a thin frame and must add another 10-15 lbs. of muscle in order to better withstand the punishment he will receive at the next level. Because of his lack of bulk and natural strength he is consistently knocked off line by aggressive defenders in press coverage and must learn to his hands to better protect his frame. He is a catch blocker that lacks the strength to sustain blocks and must become more aggressive at the POA. While he possesses good short area quickness he is not an explosive athlete and lacks the speed needed to run away from defenders downfield. He had multiple fumbles in games I viewed and must do a better job of securing the ball against his body after the catch.

SUMMARY - Ryan Swope was a productive, dependable receiver out of the slot for Texas A&M and possesses a skill set that will translate nicely to the NFL. He has the soft hands needed to consistently snare off target balls and is fearless going into traffic despite his slight frame. While he lacks the explosiveness to ever be a home run threat he displays the foot quickness and COD ability needed to run precise routes and create separation naturally on his breaks. In order to elevate his game for the next level he must become a more physical player not just as a blocker but while running his routes as well, as he tends to get knocked around too easily by defensive backs in press coverage and aggressive linebackers playing zone. He must also learn to hold the ball tighter against his body, as he tends to run with the ball exposed and leave himself susceptible to getting stripped. Swope has a chance to become a productive #3 or #4 WR and special teams player, and don't be surprised if a team in desperate need of reliable skill position upgrades like Miami (his 2011 head coach and QB are both Dolphins) take him early on day three. .

- Russ Lande

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point in the draft, Swope is just a great value pick. He has concussion issues but other than that, there's nothing about his game that says he can't be a successful #3 or #4 receiver. We really needed that #4 guy because Cribbs seems out of the picture and i don't really see any other receiver out there I like except for Swope's teammate, Uzoma Nwachukwu.

Grade: A
shawn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do like this pick, I know he is not the deep threat that many of us wanted/needed. But I think we are getting a guy who can put up solid numbers...and in the sixth round.

hard to complain, really.

sig made by mike23md
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this pick.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously he's going to get compared to white receivers but he'll give us pretty much what Doucet gave us, with better overall hands, especially in traffic.
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this pick.

Re-Elect Joe Fitzgibbon class act for proper representation.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
AZPSquared

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great pick. Had 3rd round value but fell due to concussion issues.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: