Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 5, Pick 168 - Ricky Wagner
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind this pick. You know what you're getting with Wagner. He's likely a RT or maybe a G in the NFL and he should at least be a solid player. At best he's also probably just a solid player but that's okay for a 5th round pick. Quessenberry would have been my preference but I don't think I'd want him as a LT either. Guys like Nixon, Fragel, Faulk, and Marquardt were available too but all of those players are boom or bust types.

I'm guessing Oher slides back to LT if somebody isn't brought in via free agency. In that scenario this seems like what the line would be:

LT: Oher
LG: Osemele - Harewood
C: Gradkowski
RG: Yanda
RT: Reid - Wagner

With some of the practice squad guys from last season battling it out too. That's not a bad group in my opinion.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
nevermore wrote:
BareYourTeeth wrote:
Worse case scenario, Oher plays at LT while Reid and Wagner compete for the RT spot. Calm down.

Worst case scenario would be KO at LT IMO.

Why not? Why wouldn't you want to try our most talented (besides guard-only Yanda) lineman at the most important position. It's easier to find another guard than a specimen like Osemele with the picks we are looking at.

I think our super bowl line/arrangement is getting a tad bit overrated. I've watched all the games at least 3-4 times, and overall we were A- level in pass protection and not that great against the run. Especially the games against the Pats and 49ers, they were begging us to run the ball and we made virtually no gaps against their fronts. Even the Broncos game, we got limited push despite wearing them down with a ton of snaps. The Colts front we dominated, but that's almost expected.

So, I'm not one of the fans demanding we re-create that setup.

I think Osemele could be a passable LT. But he could be a pro-bowl LG. I'd rather see him play where he can be most effective. Especially given that we'll have a Center who has only ever started one game. I'd much rather have Osemele next to him than Reid or Harewood.

Passable left tackle* play may be more valuable than another pro bowl guard, for us. Especially, if we don't resign Oher next year. I could see Oher getting a good offer that we won't/can't match especially if guys like Pitta are also up.

*And I don't necessarily think that's his ceiling.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why so many people here are already limiting what Ricky Wagner can and can't do and he's not even on the team yet.

This kid started for two straight seasons at OL 'U' as their blindside protector. Now ideally, I think you'd want him playing RT in the pros, but if this team is one that's going to consider Osemele at LT, then why not Wagner? Wagner is a little better of an athlete and is likely going to be better trained coming from the school he's come from. So I'd love to consider using Wagner at LT... that said, when Wagner played RT he was definitely really good.

That said, no question, I think Oher is our best bet to start at LT next season... keep Osemele at LG where he's going to be an elite guard... and have Wagner and Reid compete for the starting RT job. That's an elite interior and potentially above average play on the edges.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP PLEASE STOP

putting Michael Oher at LT. We tried that. It failed. Just please stop with that nonsense already! Leave Oher at RT and freaking pay McKinnie already.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

putting Michael Oher at LT. We tried that. It failed. Just please stop with that nonsense already! Leave Oher at RT and freaking pay McKinnie already.

Unless McKinnie decides to take less money, we won't "just pay him".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Unless McKinnie decides to take less money, we won't "just pay him".

Well now that we have another FB, we can't just dump Leach and use that money to pay McKinnie or try to find some common ground? I just seriously am SO over seeing Oher try to play LT when we already have one on the roster or can go out and find a TRUE LT (maybe not a great one) and just keep him at RT and get him some consistency.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a wonder we didn't set nfl scoring records in 2011 when we had McKinnie for a whole season Laughing.

Seriously guys, McKinnie or Ogden?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
I don't get why so many people here are already limiting what Ricky Wagner can and can't do and he's not even on the team yet.

This kid started for two straight seasons at OL 'U' as their blindside protector. Now ideally, I think you'd want him playing RT in the pros, but if this team is one that's going to consider Osemele at LT, then why not Wagner? Wagner is a little better of an athlete and is likely going to be better trained coming from the school he's come from. So I'd love to consider using Wagner at LT... that said, when Wagner played RT he was definitely really good.

That said, no question, I think Oher is our best bet to start at LT next season... keep Osemele at LG where he's going to be an elite guard... and have Wagner and Reid compete for the starting RT job. That's an elite interior and potentially above average play on the edges.

I've seen a lot of Wagner the last couple of years. Living in Big 10 country (and having the Big 10 Network) lets me see a lot of those teams. I like Wagner but he's not a guy you want going against quicker-twitch athletes. He's not as athletic as Osemele is/was last season. Technically Wagner is probably so far ahead (at least when Osemele was drafted last year) it's not debatable but I don't think he has the length to make up for his shortcomings. On the right side it's probably not a huge deal but most opposing defenses will move their pass-rushers around to get the best matchup. Anything can happen but Wagner being able to play LT in the NFL isn't something I'd bet on.

I'd rather have Wagner there than McKinnie though. Cool
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying we should put him at LT- because like I said, I think Oher is our best bet at LT for next season. But if we're going to have Osemele competing at LT then I'd hope we give a similar athlete in Wagner- who is more technically sound at the position- a chance so that we can keep Osemele where I think he has the chance to be elite and dominant.

I still wish Barrett Jones would've fallen, I think he would've been a very competent LT option.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: