Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5th Round (167): Josh Boyd, DT, Mississippi State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dijatool

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast wrote:
I've been a huge Pickett fan... he gets very little if any pass rush but I think he's the glue that's holding the DL together though the tough times. Like in the 49ers game... the DL got their butt kicked... but Raji didn't, he didn't play great but he didn't get hammer off the line like the others... you know if their trying to run it, that Pickett will be bothering some OL all game long.

Glue sounds about right. Pickett was injured early against the 49ers and didn't come back for about 10 minutes. That affected everything else.
Kal-El

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Just went back to listen to the draft weekend interviews. Sounds like they are going to see if Boyd can give us some NT snaps.

No surprise. Our interest in Steve McLendon (sp?) was telling, we need a guy to take over for the Pickett-fence.
Gopackgonerd

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Boyd at DE. But if Raji goes down I have no doubt he could fill that spot if Pickett gets the boot.

Guy has pass rush ability and can play the run. Perfect for our sub packages
Kampman74

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-El wrote:
justo wrote:
Just went back to listen to the draft weekend interviews. Sounds like they are going to see if Boyd can give us some NT snaps.

No surprise. Our interest in Steve McLendon (sp?) was telling, we need a guy to take over for the Pickett-fence.

That might be Worthy's future IMO, Boyd will just be a depth guy, which could still play a bunch of reps in our system.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:

That might be Worthy's future IMO.

Hope you're right.. I was high on Worthy after we drafted him, and I wasn't really impressed with him even though it was his rookie year.

I love the guy's energy, hope he can come back from injury!
Kal-El

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
Kal-El wrote:
justo wrote:

That might be Worthy's future IMO, Boyd will just be a depth guy, which could still play a bunch of reps in our system.

I mean another NT body, not LDE.
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
Kal-El wrote:
justo wrote:

This!

I view Boyd as a natural 3-tech and don't love the idea of him starting at any of them in this fit. Can give ya good reps at all of them though. Just think the value river met the road with that one on draft day. Doubt they loved the fit on paper. Then again, they do give a lot of those 3-tech looks in fit from time to time.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
Kal-El wrote:
justo wrote:

This!

I view Boyd as a natural 3-tech and don't love the idea of him starting at any of them in this fit. Can give ya good reps at all of them though. Just think the value river met the road with that one on draft day. Doubt they loved the fit on paper. Then again, they do give a lot of those 3-tech looks in fit from time to time.
Never hurts to have comp at a position with all the starters and two others off contract the next year. Totally agree with you, Palmy. How did you grade him as a prospect? Him and Catapano were actually the guys I was looking as late rounders to GB.
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boyd had a final grade for me that would have landed him high/mid 4th round most years. His high board was clearly at 3-tech in my eyes. Hard to fight him in any system at 167 though.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McThreadski wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
Neal, if healthy, is an absolute lock. Unquestionably. He's our 2nd best Dlineman to end the season, hell probably was playing better than Raji actually.

BUT, if we look at your list - which guy you gonna cut when Worthy comes back?

Neal? 2nd round investment who playing his best football.
Daniels? 4th round investment who played, at worst, up to his draft position last year.
Boyd? 5th round rookie.

Either way, you're cutting a somewhat significant investment. I'll be there to say 'I told you so' when Boyd gets cut Wink

Exactly, if we are going to go young, AND Boyd proves too good do cut, where does that leave us with Pickett?

We had what, 7 WR on the roster at the end of last year. It will not shock me if we run heavy at the DL positions when the final roster comes out.

Boyd could even be a PS candidate. You never know if he makes it through waivers, but most rookies do.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
We had what, 7 WR on the roster at the end of last year. It will not shock me if we run heavy at the DL positions when the final roster comes out.

Big difference between going heavy on WRs (or LBs, or TEs, of FBs, etc.) than going heavy on DL is that DL guys don't play special teams, and pretty much all non-linemen and non-QBs do.
Gopackgonerd

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
McThreadski wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
Neal, if healthy, is an absolute lock. Unquestionably. He's our 2nd best Dlineman to end the season, hell probably was playing better than Raji actually.

BUT, if we look at your list - which guy you gonna cut when Worthy comes back?

Neal? 2nd round investment who playing his best football.
Daniels? 4th round investment who played, at worst, up to his draft position last year.
Boyd? 5th round rookie.

Either way, you're cutting a somewhat significant investment. I'll be there to say 'I told you so' when Boyd gets cut Wink

Exactly, if we are going to go young, AND Boyd proves too good do cut, where does that leave us with Pickett?

Boyd could even be a PS candidate. You never know if he makes it through waivers, but most rookies do.

I have a feeling Daniels could be cut. He's undersized and really can't play in our scheme. He's a productive player, he made a couple stunt sacks, and 2 fumble recoveries including a TD. I just think he's one of those guys that will never be a great impact player.

I highly doubt Boyd will be slapped to the PS unless he plays like poo. He's versatile and was definitely drafted lower in the draft than he should of been. Specially with the situation of Worthy. I think it's a pretty sure thing unless something happens.
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on Boyd(would be lost if they try sticking him on PS) but disagree with you on Daniels. No way in hell they make that cut. Interior pass rushers are no easy find. Giving away a young/cheap one like Daniels is anything but a good idea IMO. Kid would be without work for all of about ten secs!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I agree with you on Boyd(would be lost if they try sticking him on PS) but disagree with you on Daniels. No way in hell they make that cut. Interior pass rushers are no easy find. Giving away a young/cheap one like Daniels is anything but a good idea IMO. Kid would be without work for all of about ten secs!

He'd have to beat out some people. Really I only say this because of depth at the DL. Looking at our DLinemen- Raji, Neal, Jones, Pickett, Boyd, Wilson, Jolly, Worthy, then Daniels. You never know if Pena or someone else comes out of the shades and has a good camp. I have no doubt he'll make it if Worthy goes on the PUP, which is immanent. But all the talks of getting bigger, stronger, tougher, and faster, idk if Daniels will be here long. By all means he could prove me wrong and turn into a good player. I hope I'm wrong. Laughing
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopackgonerd wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

He'd have to beat out some people. Really I only say this because of depth at the DL. Looking at our DLinemen- Raji, Neal, Jones, Pickett, Boyd, Wilson, Jolly, Worthy, then Daniels. You never know if Pena or someone else comes out of the shades and has a good camp. I have no doubt he'll make it if Worthy goes on the PUP, which is immanent. But all the talks of getting bigger, stronger, tougher, and faster, idk if Daniels will be here long. By all means he could prove me wrong and turn into a good player. I hope I'm wrong. Laughing

The Jones pick makes it so Daniels is no longer a lock. But with the Neal contract running dry I cant see TT letting Daniels get away. The others play a different position in my eyes. I don't view this as a development thing. Daniels is a damn good interior pass rusher right now. Third on that list after Neal and Jones.

No way I keep a 27 year old rookie like Pena over him, I can tell ya that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: