Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5th Round (167): Josh Boyd, DT, Mississippi State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MMcKay16


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 325
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
Neal, if healthy, is an absolute lock. Unquestionably. He's our 2nd best Dlineman to end the season, hell probably was playing better than Raji actually.

BUT, if we look at your list - which guy you gonna cut when Worthy comes back?

Neal? 2nd round investment who playing his best football.
Daniels? 4th round investment who played, at worst, up to his draft position last year.
Boyd? 5th round rookie.

Either way, you're cutting a somewhat significant investment. I'll be there to say 'I told you so' when Boyd gets cut Wink


We don't necessarily have to cut someone from the dline. I know there is a certain number you want to carry in an ideal world, but you should never cut a better player just to keep numbers in line on a roster or else you'll end up diluting your roster.

Also with the amount of free agents on the line we should be doing something to make sure we have enough around for next season. Its a lock we keep Raji, but I'm not sure what happens with Pickett or Neal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kampman74


Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 6914
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
Neal, if healthy, is an absolute lock. Unquestionably. He's our 2nd best Dlineman to end the season, hell probably was playing better than Raji actually.


That's a HUGE question mark. He's played in 20 games over 3 years. I agree, if he's healthy he makes the roster but let's not call it a lock before it happens.


Well to be fair four of his misses last year weren't injury related, he was suspended, which I guess might not help his case, but you know. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ugLymayNe


Joined: 31 Oct 2006
Posts: 12454
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
BUT, if we look at your list - which guy you gonna cut when Worthy comes back?


It doesn't have to be limited to defensive linemen. If Worthy starts the year on PUP I could see them going 6 DL until then and cutting a LB to make room for Worthy.


Wilson-Raji-Pickett
Jones--------Neal
Daniels

Clay-Bish/Hawk-Perry
Moses-Jones-Manning-Palmer
---------Francois

Tramon-Burnett-McMillian-Shields
Hayward-Jennings-Richardson-House
Bush


That's 24 players right there. I foresee Hyde and Barrington starting off their careers on the practice squad unless they really shine in TC. Soooooooooooooo when Worhty comes back, in my opinion the most logical cut would be either Francois or Richardson. I personally think Palmer is going be a beast on ST and make Francois' only role on this team expendable.
_________________
@PJHotel_

Sig brought to you by Justo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 30860
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
Neal, if healthy, is an absolute lock. Unquestionably. He's our 2nd best Dlineman to end the season, hell probably was playing better than Raji actually.


That's a HUGE question mark. He's played in 20 games over 3 years. I agree, if he's healthy he makes the roster but let's not call it a lock before it happens.


he's healthy right now.

that's all we can go by.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 30860
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
BUT, if we look at your list - which guy you gonna cut when Worthy comes back?


It doesn't have to be limited to defensive linemen. If Worthy starts the year on PUP I could see them going 6 DL until then and cutting a LB to make room for Worthy.


Wilson-Raji-Pickett
Jones--------Neal
Daniels

Clay-Bish/Hawk-Perry
Moses-Jones-Manning-Palmer
---------Francois

Tramon-Burnett-McMillian-Shields
Hayward-Jennings-Richardson-House
Bush


That's 24 players right there. I foresee Hyde and Barrington starting off their careers on the practice squad unless they really shine in TC. Soooooooooooooo when Worhty comes back, in my opinion the most logical cut would be either Francois or Richardson. I personally think Palmer is going be a beast on ST and make Francois' only role on this team expendable.


...i don't see boyd on this depth chart Very Happy

that's my point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 30860
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcKay16 wrote:


We don't necessarily have to cut someone from the dline. I know there is a certain number you want to carry in an ideal world, but you should never cut a better player just to keep numbers in line on a roster or else you'll end up diluting your roster.

Also with the amount of free agents on the line we should be doing something to make sure we have enough around for next season. Its a lock we keep Raji, but I'm not sure what happens with Pickett or Neal.


Don't see us carrying 8 Dlineman throughout the season. That's a pretty absurd number.

This is why you don't put yourself IN a position like that IMO.

But I DO agree about the long-term future of the line - we are going to lose some guys. Honestly, I see Neal as a franchise candidate (unless it would be a DE and not DT money). He's going to blow up and will be a tough keep.

BUT, the guy has to make the cut THIS year to be around next year and that's not likely with our roster IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MMcKay16


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 325
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
MMcKay16 wrote:


We don't necessarily have to cut someone from the dline. I know there is a certain number you want to carry in an ideal world, but you should never cut a better player just to keep numbers in line on a roster or else you'll end up diluting your roster.

Also with the amount of free agents on the line we should be doing something to make sure we have enough around for next season. Its a lock we keep Raji, but I'm not sure what happens with Pickett or Neal.


Don't see us carrying 8 Dlineman throughout the season. That's a pretty absurd number.

This is why you don't put yourself IN a position like that IMO.

But I DO agree about the long-term future of the line - we are going to lose some guys. Honestly, I see Neal as a franchise candidate (unless it would be a DE and not DT money). He's going to blow up and will be a tough keep.

BUT, the guy has to make the cut THIS year to be around next year and that's not likely with our roster IMO.


I agree with you that its a lot. I guess its a good problem to have. Maybe they think that Worthy is out for an extended period of time? The cuts at line will be interesting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cadmus


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 296
Location: Green Bay
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
MMcKay16 wrote:


We don't necessarily have to cut someone from the dline. I know there is a certain number you want to carry in an ideal world, but you should never cut a better player just to keep numbers in line on a roster or else you'll end up diluting your roster.

Also with the amount of free agents on the line we should be doing something to make sure we have enough around for next season. Its a lock we keep Raji, but I'm not sure what happens with Pickett or Neal.


Don't see us carrying 8 Dlineman throughout the season. That's a pretty absurd number.

This is why you don't put yourself IN a position like that IMO.

But I DO agree about the long-term future of the line - we are going to lose some guys. Honestly, I see Neal as a franchise candidate (unless it would be a DE and not DT money). He's going to blow up and will be a tough keep.

BUT, the guy has to make the cut THIS year to be around next year and that's not likely with our roster IMO.


I have said before don't be surprised if you see him get a reasonable extension in TC or early in the season depending on how he brings it in camp.

Shields, Burnett and Neal are all targets in my mind for extensions at the end of TC or during the season. Why? They are all young ascending talent (all 25 or younger) and none have truly seen the money yet as a UDFA, 3rd and 2nd rounder respectively.

The way I see it I would rather have 2 of the above players (or fingers crossed all 3 of them) and extend Quarless (assuming his knee holds, which I think it will) than Finley. The difference of 2 of those Player's salaries + Q to 1 Finley will be at the most 3-4 million if we take care of them early (and it may not be that much especially if Finley were to blow-up).

Sign Q at the end of the season if he holds up on a cheap 3 year extension and give him a shot at the No. 1 TE with whoever we draft. Thompson can probably have whoever he wants (unless the prospect goes in the Vernon Davis range) with the extra picks we have. We should have an extra 3rd coming in the form of a compensatory pick for Jennings and a 5th for Walden I believe.

How I see it atm-

Keep-

Absolutely- Burnett, Shields, Raji

If the Price is Right- Neal (performance pending), Finley (IMO will likely price himself out of Ted's range)

The Price should be right- Quarless (health pending), Jones (doubt he chases another big contract at his age, but we shall see. Has the potetnial to earn a few extra dollars)

Release/ Let them Walk- EDS (looks to be the plan with this draft), Pickett, Hawk, Kuhn and Tramon's status is pending

This is how I see our situation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
arodgers12


Joined: 27 Feb 2008
Posts: 431
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this guy will be a contributor for us this season and he will get in on the rotation during the season.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13079
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went back to listen to the draft weekend interviews. Sounds like they are going to see if Boyd can give us some NT snaps.
_________________
Pugger wrote:
Pugger? Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
The Kuhn


Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 369
Location: UWM
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else forsee Pickett's role diminish this year? I DO think he makes the team but maybe the Packers didn't address the NT position because they plan on shifting Pickett over there to back up Raji?

Its not like we dont have the depth at DE and I can't see us cutting ties with Boyd this early, Ted wouldn't waste a pick like that. Even if he doesn't make the roster he increased the level of competition throughout the entire group. Is that a waste? No.

ATM our depth along the DL is the best it has been in a long time. Maybe something like this plays out:

Neal-Raji-Wilson
Jones-Pickett-Worthy(assuming healthy)
Daniels-Pena-Boyd
---------Miller-Jolly

Just speculation on my part. I realize Pickett actually turned in a good performance last year. But we can't keep marching he and Raji out for that many snaps. That, coupled with increased level of play along the line, the value of the pick itself and expiring upcoming contracts along the DL shed light unto why this selection was made.
_________________
ChaRisMa wrote:
So get off Ted's cashews people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
packfan4


Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 10820
Location: South Jersey
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kuhn wrote:
Anyone else forsee Pickett's role diminish this year? I DO think he makes the team but maybe the Packers didn't address the NT position because they plan on shifting Pickett over there to back up Raji?

I don't honestly. Pickett's game ages very well and he's still a high end NT & solid 5-tech IMO, should have another 2-3 years of stellar play left in him. Pickett's very underrated around here I think, we would take a sizable step back on Defense this year without him in the lineup consistently IMO.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13863
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packfan4 wrote:
The Kuhn wrote:
Anyone else forsee Pickett's role diminish this year? I DO think he makes the team but maybe the Packers didn't address the NT position because they plan on shifting Pickett over there to back up Raji?

I don't honestly. Pickett's game ages very well and he's still a high end NT & solid 5-tech IMO, should have another 2-3 years of stellar play left in him. Pickett's very underrated around here I think, we would take a sizable step back on Defense this year without him in the lineup consistently IMO.


YUP. If the Packers cut ties with Pickett right now he would be without work for all of about 60 seconds. Good bigs like just about that never hit the market until the body gives way. TT was very lucky to land him and I'm sure he knows this.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mind Frame


Joined: 02 Sep 2007
Posts: 153
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when Raji went down in week 6 at Houston, Pickett stepped in beautifully and the defense had probably its best game against the run all year.

Man is very valuable to this defense for that reason as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beast


Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 2275
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
packfan4 wrote:
The Kuhn wrote:
Anyone else forsee Pickett's role diminish this year? I DO think he makes the team but maybe the Packers didn't address the NT position because they plan on shifting Pickett over there to back up Raji?

I don't honestly. Pickett's game ages very well and he's still a high end NT & solid 5-tech IMO, should have another 2-3 years of stellar play left in him. Pickett's very underrated around here I think, we would take a sizable step back on Defense this year without him in the lineup consistently IMO.


YUP. If the Packers cut ties with Pickett right now he would be without work for all of about 60 seconds. Good bigs like just about that never hit the market until the body gives way. TT was very lucky to land him and I'm sure he knows this.


I've been a huge Pickett fan... he gets very little if any pass rush but I think he's the glue that's holding the DL together though the tough times. Like in the 49ers game... the DL got their butt kicked... but Pickett didn't, he didn't play great but he didn't get hammer off the line like the others... you know if their trying to run it, that Pickett will be bothering some OL all game long.

(edit, I wrote "Raji didn't" and it got quoted, I meant to say "Pickett didn't" and I have edited that.)

Honestly I think Pickett is a true NT. And I don't think Raji is a true NT. By true NT I mean can play two gap all game long and be very good at it. Two gap is run clogger / tie up the OL and protecting the LB when the play calls for it.

But Raji just doesn't have the body for 3-4 DE... nether does Pickett but he's body is closer (longer arms) to what you'd like to see out of a 3-4 DE.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pickett and Raji at a rotation at NT ... with Pickett getting the more running downs and Raji getting more of the passing down...and keep them both fresh that way...

But the problem is that the other DL players haven't been good enough to take reps away from them so they keep getting the high reps.


Last edited by Beast on Thu May 09, 2013 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group