Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears take T Jordan Mills
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
I like the pick. Good value. Log jam on the OL now. Good problem to have I guess.
There's no such thing as too many big strong, long men to have play on the OL. We needed to find a professional OL this offseason, and I think Emery has accomplished that.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
I like the pick. Good value. Log jam on the OL now. Good problem to have I guess.

Yeah outside of Bushrod, Long and probably Garza nobody's roster spot on the OL is safe. That's not a bad thing.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
SOCalBearsFan54

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Yeah outside of Bushrod, Long and probably Garza nobody's roster spot on the OL is safe. That's not a bad thing.

Solid completion like this is something that we have desperately needed. I'm glad Emery went out there got FA and picked up some more in the draft. I can't wait to see the camp battles and how it all works out.

2014 Adopt a Bear: WR Brandon Marshall #15
Rec- 16 Yards- 144 TDs- 5 Tgts- 32
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to like about Emery is that he attacks weaknesses with multiple resources.

Last season we were promoting rejects and street free agents, now we have players that can step in and develop.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something interesting about both Olinemen we took…Oregon & LA Tech play fast and take a ton offensive snaps at a very high intensity level…these two might be amongst the fittest Olinemen in the draft and hearing that we were practicing much faster at minicamp might indicate that we will see a much high tempo to our offence this year.
bkokot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Something interesting about both Olinemen we took…Oregon & LA Tech play fast and take a ton offensive snaps at a very high intensity level…these two might be amongst the fittest Olinemen in the draft and hearing that we were practicing much faster at minicamp might indicate that we will see a much high tempo to our offence this year.

I guess Emery doesn't believe that guys with big guts are "elite athletes".
Pinky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkokot wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

I guess Emery doesn't believe that guys with big guts are "elite athletes".

Apparently Long has 15% bodyfat...at over 300lbs....that's ridiculous.
thebeast15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's going to happen with Webb? Seems like everyone is banking on Long or Mills taking over at RT.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebeast15 wrote:
So what's going to happen with Webb? Seems like everyone is banking on Long or Mills taking over at RT.

Webb will start out at RT this year...Mills will be his backup unless he beats him out in camp...Long will start this year at LG...

But then next year I would expect Webb to be allowed to walk unless he improves immensely under Kromer...then Long and Mills will compete for the RT spot...loser play LG...I would expect Long to play RT & Mills LG in 2014.
thebeast15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
thebeast15 wrote:

Webb will start out at RT this year...Mills will be his backup unless he beats him out in camp...Long will start this year at LG...

But then next year I would expect Webb to be allowed to walk unless he improves immensely under Kromer...then Long and Mills will compete for the RT spot...loser play LG...I would expect Long to play RT & Mills LG in 2014.

So we're just going to be gone with our best lineman from last year? He has improved every year and would shock me if he didn't excell even further next year. Especially at his best position, RT.
Walshy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty confident that Slauson and Long are our starting OGs.

Adopt-Bear:Jon Bostic Tackles: 56 INT:1 Sack:1
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebeast15 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
thebeast15 wrote:

So we're just going to be gone with our best lineman from last year? He has improved every year and would shock me if he didn't excell even further next year. Especially at his best position, RT.

Being the Bears best OLmen in any of the last 4 years does not mean a lot.

What Mike is saying is that Webb now has competition and if he does not perform he will be allowe to walk as a free agent. This is how the NFL works.

My only argument Mike is that I think Long stays at LG it is just such an important position in the Kromer short set protection scheme. Look at the money they have spent at OG in NO while having Zach Strief at RT.

2014 Webb Plays Well

Bushrod
Long
Draft Pick
Mills
Webb

2014 Webb Leaves

Bushrod
Long
Draft Pick
Slauson/Free Agent
Mills
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebeast15 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
thebeast15 wrote:

Our best linemen last year was Lance Louis before he went down...Webb continues to be inconsistent...at times he looked like a world beater and at times he looked terrible...consistency is a big part of being an Olinemen...

I think Webb certainly goes into the season as a starter but what Emery has made clear is that as few players on this team as possible are going to go into camp without facing some kind of competition…Mills might never be a starter…he might only ever be a 3 position backup…but he has at least the talent to at least push guys to get better.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
My only argument Mike is that I think Long stays at LG it is just such an important position in the Kromer short set protection scheme. Look at the money they have spent at OG in NO while having Zach Strief at RT.

There are a number of reasons I don’t see his long term future being at guard…I don’t think Emery would take a guard at #20 unless he felt he could move to the tackle spot at some point…I know in NO the guard were seen as being more important but I don’t think we will see the exact same scheme here…there will be elements of the short set here but I think a lot of that had to do with Bree’s height…short setting the interior and dropping the tackles so deep allowed Bree’s lanes left and right to step up so he had a clear view of the field…with Cutler you don’t have that problem…the other reason I don’t feel Long stays at guard is that he doesn’t have the body type of an OG…very few 6-6” OGs excel in the NFL because they lose leverage battles against shorter and stronger DTs…when you also consider his lack of girth he doesn’t look like an OG at all…when you see him standing next to Brandon Marshall there doesn’t look to be a huge difference in body type…I think he fits better at RT.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
thebeast15 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
thebeast15 wrote:

Our best linemen last year was Lance Louis before he went down...Webb continues to be inconsistent...at times he looked like a world beater and at times he looked terrible...consistency is a big part of being an Olinemen...

I think Webb certainly goes into the season as a starter but what Emery has made clear is that as few players on this team as possible are going to go into camp without facing some kind of competition…Mills might never be a starter…he might only ever be a 3 position backup…but he has at least the talent to at least push guys to get better.

I think the best case scenario is that Webb steps up be ones more consistent and is re-signed to be the long term RT.

Mills moves inside to RG where his size and length are ideal for our system.

And we have 3 OLmen who are under 26 and a LT under 31.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: