Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5th Round (159): Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
If nothing else, there is a little playmaker in Hyde and he can get ya in the dirt in the open field.

So he's MD Jennings with slightly better ball skills? Not sure why they are working him at CB off the start to be honest. I guess if they want to strictly replace Bush, fine, but if they can get snaps out of him on D it would be at safety IMO.

Sig brought to you by Justo
HokieHigh

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
If nothing else, there is a little playmaker in Hyde and he can get ya in the dirt in the open field.

So he's MD Jennings with slightly better ball skills? Not sure why they are working him at CB off the start to be honest. I guess if they want to strictly replace Bush, fine, but if they can get snaps out of him on D it would be at safety IMO.

I don't know anything about this Packers decision. From a management perspective the reason for doing this is 1) there are skills valuable at both positions that are most easily learned at the CB position 2) there are roles that a CB has that a safety needs to be able to "feel." By spending time as a CB the safety can feel the opposite side of those situations, which may help them "feel" it as a safety.

If you know what I mean.
rbens06

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast wrote:
rbens06 wrote:
Right, I meant to mention we will not realize that amount in year one. We would only be allowed to reinvest $5.633 million this year into contracts. Cutting Tramon may save $12 million over the life of his remaining contract and $2.8 million for Bush, but we cannot reinvest that all into contracts this year. In fact those moves might be made next offseason to balance out the jumps Clay and Rodgers salaries will take, but that's is different conversation.

What you're saying is correct but you're over thinking it...

If it frees up 12 million over the next two years, the Packers could simple sign a contract the Packers could simple give someone a contract like

Year 1: 3 million
Year 2: 4 million
Year 3: 2 million
Year 4: 3 million

There are so many tricks that teams can use... as well as taking unguaranteed money and making it guaranteed, which frees up money in the current cap year and takes up space in the future years.

So freeing up money is freeing up money... weather it's one year or two...

Heck Al Davis locked up poorly used money four years down the road and is why the Raiders have still been in cap trouble.

I agree there are many ways to manipulate the cap, but I was mainly saying that you would not have $12 million to spend on guys right now, the money we "save" would be over different years and if we used it would have to be contracts like you set up, which then affect cap years beyond what Tramon accounted for. This could be me over thinking it too, but if we did cut Tramon I would bet that the money is either saved to account for Rodgers' and Clay's jumps the following year or used to extend a guy on the team, like Shields, Jones, Bulaga, Raji, or even Finley. Some of the cuts now might be made out of necessity for years down the road. If Tramon ends up being our 4th best corner then the lure of cutting him and saving that cap for latter years might be big enough to go through with it.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Hyde has good instincts.

On the Cops showing up at a bar he was drinking at:

“Like when you have a house party in high school,” Hyde said. “Everyone just runs. It’s just reaction. So that’s what happened. It was my dumb mistake of the night.”

Hyde has a whirlwind week ahead. On Wednesday, he’ll appear in court for a public intoxication charge from October. On Thursday, he’ll fly to Green Bay for rookie orientation. On Sunday, he’ll fly back to Iowa to take two exams. And then, it’s off to Green Bay again.

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/green-bay-packers-calendar-micah-hyde-court-date

[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
As a Hawkeyes season ticket holder, Hyde should be a safety. He could work as a cornerback, but he should be a safety.

I could see him being used at both positions though too.

That must've been tough, especially losing to your "rival"(because 2/3 of ISU students are Hawkeye fans) at home was tough.

Playing aside, I totally agree. From what I saw from Hyde last year, his draft stock took a hit because of how bad Iowa played last year, not his performance, similar to Philip Lutzenkirchen's situation at Auburn.

I actually really like this pick because, like you, I think Hyde can be moved around. Perhaps he'll see a similar role that Woodson had in playing a pseudo-OLB type of position. He certainly has the toughness, strength, and agility to be groomed to fit that role. It'll be quite interesting to see what happens. Personally, I think he should be a FS but if he's able to play CB better than a Bush(which shouldn't take much), so be it.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:
Beast wrote:
From everything I'm reading / hearing from the Packers interviews... it sounds like the Packers think Micah Hyde will be a really good fit at in the slot/hybrid position which Woodson/Hayward have played.

Before last season started there was a lot of talk about the Packers defense maybe playing a lot of dime coverage (6 DBs on the field at once). I don't think it happen much because of the injuries to House and Woodson.

But Shields hasn't played the slot, House and Williams have but they seem much better on the outsides. Leaving Hayward, Bush and Hyde for the better 3 guys on the inside.

I'm guessing the inside slot position is where the CB coach thought Hyde could become a huge upgrade and then grow better as the outside CB over time with more coaching.

Unless they are looking to clear Bush's cap space, no way does a rookie mid/late rounder come in and start over Bush. Bush isn't that good, but he isn't that bad either.

First off, Packers normally seem to look two to four year down the road... not first year...

Secondly Bush really isn't making that much (NFL wise), so I'm not sure why they would really care about clearing his contract if he's one of the best 53.

Bush's contract:
2013: $1.35 million,
2014: $1.6 million,
2015: Free Agent

If you wanted to get rid of a DBs contract it would be Tramon Williams...

Williams's contract:
2013: $5.9 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus),
2014: $6.9 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus),
2015: Free Agent

(they might be able to resign two lesser starters with that kind of money, or maybe one bigger one)...

Shields, Raji, Burnett, Bulaga, D-Smith, etc...

If Williams doesn't win a starting CB job he might be asked to take a pay cut (and/or straight up cut... not sure if someone would want him with that contract in a trade)...

Bush got a little better in coverage back in 2010 but there's a reason you seldomly see him outside of ST. He's a ST, period. As for the other guy, he's at two strikes, if he stinks it up in TC, it'll probably be a "take the paycut or get cut." Given his character, I think he'd take the paycut immediately.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:

Quote:
“Like when you have a house party in high school,” Hyde said. “Everyone just runs. It’s just reaction. So that’s what happened. It was my dumb mistake of the night.”

Hyde has a whirlwind week ahead. On Wednesday, he’ll appear in court for a public intoxication charge from October. On Thursday, he’ll fly to Green Bay for rookie orientation. On Sunday, he’ll fly back to Iowa to take two exams. And then, it’s off to Green Bay again.

I actually buy that. To this day I automatically run any time 2 or more people of a certain distinction run past me, because that was what I did in my old neighborhood to avoid trouble.
Beast

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:

I agree there are many ways to manipulate the cap, but I was mainly saying that you would not have $12 million to spend on guys right now, the money we "save" would be over different years and if we used it would have to be contracts like you set up, which then affect cap years beyond what Tramon accounted for. This could be me over thinking it too, but if we did cut Tramon I would bet that the money is either saved to account for Rodgers' and Clay's jumps the following year or used to extend a guy on the team, like Shields, Jones, Bulaga, Raji, or even Finley. Some of the cuts now might be made out of necessity for years down the road. If Tramon ends up being our 4th best corner then the lure of cutting him and saving that cap for latter years might be big enough to go through with it.

SO?... money saved is money saved. Period.

If they save more money, they can resign more of the players that are playing well and deserve to be resigned.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:

Quote:

I actually buy that. To this day I automatically run any time 2 or more people of a certain distinction run past me, because that was what I did in my old neighborhood to avoid trouble.

I remember getting a minor in South Dakota once because people there aren't smart enough to run...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: