Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5th Round (159): Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CallMeBarrett wrote:
"Cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt said the Packers were not, at this time, considering Micah Hyde out of Iowa as a safety. He's considered a corner."

Isn't the standard procedure in the league with CB/FS tweeners that they are a cornerback until their play on the field shows otherwise?
CallMeBarrett

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
CallMeBarrett wrote:
"Cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt said the Packers were not, at this time, considering Micah Hyde out of Iowa as a safety. He's considered a corner."

Isn't the standard procedure in the league with CB/FS tweeners that they are a cornerback until their play on the field shows otherwise?

Isn't that standard procedure with every position? Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might not be the type of athlete everyone looks for, but he's not a bad athlete either. He is a really friggin good cornerback though. I guess you'd have to raise his grade for being a great player.

sig courtesy of BrettFavre004. THANKS!!
ajdodge09

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read about him, the more I think he's going to be tried at safety, even if he isn't officially listed as a safety on packers.com at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is more for ST purposes more than anything short term. I think this is future Jarret Bush replacement. I would not look into any further than that at this time either way.
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
I think this is more for ST purposes more than anything short term. I think this is future Jarret Bush replacement. I would not look into any further than that at this time either way.
If that's the case I'm still scratching my head why we took him at that spot with way better options still on the board.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsitton71# wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:
If that's the case I'm still scratching my head why we took him at that spot with way better options still on the board.

Way better options on your board, Kiper's or TT's? See, there is your difference. I had others ahead of him too but that means absolutely nothing. The Packers stick a lot of resources into their ST units and a 5th round pick is not too early at all to make sure those positions are stocked with prospects that will excel there while they develop more skills on the D side of the ball.

Again, how deep is this CB unit really come next year? Will T-Will's shoulder recover and be worth the contract next year? Tough sell there. Is Shields going to demand #1 shutdown CB money after this year? If he does, I am sure he will not be back either. Hyde will probably be that plug and play utility man of the future, and based on Bush's history, that position is extremely valuable.
driftwood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think they give House a look @ safety... for the simple fact that hes good enough to start but the packers are pretty stacked @ CB so unless he beats our sheilds & williams which i think he capable of doing you still have 4 CB's that are worthy of seeing the field (maybe even 5 if hyde develops)

in the small serving i have seen from him, he doesn't look afraid to come up & tackle... has the ball skills that capers loves & the cover skills of a solid corner...

kid just needs to stay healthy

with all this said, I wonder how long a leesh they give Tramon... hes earned the benefit of the doubt, but hes gotta show signs of 2010 sooner than later
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekd0OuXjdvc This kid has good ball skills. Maybe more than just bushes replacement.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
I still think they give House a look @ safety... for the simple fact that hes good enough to start but the packers are pretty stacked @ CB so unless he beats our sheilds & williams which i think he capable of doing you still have 4 CB's that are worthy of seeing the field (maybe even 5 if hyde develops)

in the small serving i have seen from him, he doesn't look afraid to come up & tackle... has the ball skills that capers loves & the cover skills of a solid corner...

kid just needs to stay healthy

with all this said, I wonder how long a leesh they give Tramon... hes earned the benefit of the doubt, but hes gotta show signs of 2010 sooner than later
House doesn't have the zone skills for Safety IMHO.

Hyde is going to be ridiculously behind if we move him to safety later on, but giving him his shot at CB initially speaks about their confidence in the Safety position.
driftwood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:

Hyde is going to be ridiculously behind if we move him to safety later on, but giving him his shot at CB initially speaks about their confidence in the Safety position.

oh I agree with you on House... hes best in man coverage & I really like him as a corner... only reason I think that he might get a look at safety is because as of right now hes one of our best 5 DB's on the roster & his transition to the safety role would be easier than any of our other corners because of his sure tackling & physical tools

I also think having our best on the field might be worth a shot to try during camp

ideally I would love to see House get some reps @ FS & make Burnett our SS. with Williams, Shields & Casey @ CB in nickle sets... then Hyde in dime look
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

oh I agree with you on House... hes best in man coverage & I really like him as a corner... only reason I think that he might get a look at safety is because as of right now hes one of our best 5 DB's on the roster & his transition to the safety role would be easier than any of our other corners because of his sure tackling & physical tools

I also think having our best on the field might be worth a shot to try during camp

ideally I would love to see House get some reps @ FS & make Burnett our SS. with Williams, Shields & Casey @ CB in nickle sets... then Hyde in dime look
I just can't get past the zone skills, especially at FS. Maybe give him a look a SS if his shoulder's ok and have him cover TE, but I'm not having him drop back and play deep zone. I know we want to have our best guys on the field, but that's almost like trying to play Harris at WR. It's just not a good idea in the end.
Mr Green

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an article on the NFP about the current trends regarding corners and Micah Hyde was mentioned in it.

Quote:
Something is going on with cornerbacks in the NFL.

“There has been a lot of discussion about cornerbacks,” said Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff, who traded up in the first round to take Desmond Trufant, and then used a second round pick on another cornerback in Robert Alford.

By my count, the Falcons are at least 18 teams have acquired one or more cornerback in the offseason who they intend to start when the season opens. Fifteen of those teams have acquired a probable starting cornerback who can be listed at 6-0 or taller.

For some of this, we can thank Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks. The success the Seahawks had with tall, press and run corners Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner has forced a lot of teams to rethink the position.

“There are a lot of defensive coordinators and head coaches and general managers who are tired of seeing their corners out jumped and outmuscled for balls by big receivers,” Dimitroff said. “So there has been a wave of consideration for approaching it like Seattle does with bigger, athletic corners who can get up and jam and run and do the jump ball thing.”

It isn’t that teams still don’t want highly athletic, fluid cornerbacks with the ability to cover quick receivers all over the field in man to man. But there aren’t enough of those players out there. So rather than trying to play with a 5-10 corner who isn’t quick enough or big enough to do everything a game plan may call for, some teams are going with a different style of cornerback, and ultimately, a different style of coverage.

It is easier to find big corners who can press and drop into zone than it is to find quick footed, loose hipped corners with the size and strength to muscle up against receivers like Julio Jones and Calvin Johnson. Sherman was a fifth round pick; Browner never was drafted, and the Seahawks picked him up after a stint in the CFL.

Some cornerbacks who play a similar style that were chosen late in the draft include Tharold Simon (fifth round by the Seahawks), Micah Hyde (fifth round by the Packers) and Jeremy Harris (seventh round by the Jaguars).

More and more NFL cornerbacks might start to look like Richard Sherman.

And some of those big press corners went early, too. The Vikings took Xavier Rhodes with the 25th overall pick. The Bucs chose Johnthan Banks with the 43rd selection. The Redskins went for David Amerson on pick 51. The Titans took Blidi Wreh-Wilson with the 70th pick.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-3178.html

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Green wrote:
There was an article on the NFP about the current trends regarding corners and Micah Hyde was mentioned in it.

Quote:
Something is going on with cornerbacks in the NFL.

“There has been a lot of discussion about cornerbacks,” said Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff, who traded up in the first round to take Desmond Trufant, and then used a second round pick on another cornerback in Robert Alford.

By my count, the Falcons are at least 18 teams have acquired one or more cornerback in the offseason who they intend to start when the season opens. Fifteen of those teams have acquired a probable starting cornerback who can be listed at 6-0 or taller.

For some of this, we can thank Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks. The success the Seahawks had with tall, press and run corners Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner has forced a lot of teams to rethink the position.

“There are a lot of defensive coordinators and head coaches and general managers who are tired of seeing their corners out jumped and outmuscled for balls by big receivers,” Dimitroff said. “So there has been a wave of consideration for approaching it like Seattle does with bigger, athletic corners who can get up and jam and run and do the jump ball thing.”

It isn’t that teams still don’t want highly athletic, fluid cornerbacks with the ability to cover quick receivers all over the field in man to man. But there aren’t enough of those players out there. So rather than trying to play with a 5-10 corner who isn’t quick enough or big enough to do everything a game plan may call for, some teams are going with a different style of cornerback, and ultimately, a different style of coverage.

It is easier to find big corners who can press and drop into zone than it is to find quick footed, loose hipped corners with the size and strength to muscle up against receivers like Julio Jones and Calvin Johnson. Sherman was a fifth round pick; Browner never was drafted, and the Seahawks picked him up after a stint in the CFL.

Some cornerbacks who play a similar style that were chosen late in the draft include Tharold Simon (fifth round by the Seahawks), Micah Hyde (fifth round by the Packers) and Jeremy Harris (seventh round by the Jaguars).

More and more NFL cornerbacks might start to look like Richard Sherman.

And some of those big press corners went early, too. The Vikings took Xavier Rhodes with the 25th overall pick. The Bucs chose Johnthan Banks with the 43rd selection. The Redskins went for David Amerson on pick 51. The Titans took Blidi Wreh-Wilson with the 70th pick.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-3178.html

Makes sense to me, its a copy cat league and the Seattle corners have been very effective. Same think as people starting to use tight ends differently in the past few years.
The Kuhn

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsitton71# wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:

This. Packers have big plans for Hyde and its hard not to like this selection all things considering. Pack expect draft picks to play ST sure, but that isn't the primary reason for drafting them. By that line of thinking Day 3 players like Brad Jones, Bishop, CJ Wilson, DJ Smith, McMillian, Jolly, and Poppinga among others would never have gotten their chance to contribute on defense. The fact that prospects like Josh Evans, Rambo, and Poyer went a round or 2 after says good things about Hyde and the Packers expectations of him.

I refuse to believe that just because a logjam "exists" in our eyes at CB, that Hyde can't produce and eventually become something more than a Jarrett Bush replacement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: