Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos sign former Chargers LB Shaun Phillips
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
He had a sack and a half less than Doom last year. I think with Von playing opposite him, and Sly pushing the pocket, he could have a few more...and for just $3MM.

Suck it Ozzie Newsome.

Laughing

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
M-High Marauder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not complaining about the signing, but isn't he more of an OLB?

Phillips has been very productive in San Diego, but they ran a 3-4. Does anybody know if he has been productive with his hand on the ground?

Denver Broncos - Detroit Tigers - Michigan Wolverines
marktheshark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-High Marauder wrote:

Phillips has been very productive in San Diego, but they ran a 3-4. Does anybody know if he has been productive with his hand on the ground?

Good question, thinking the same thing myself. Frankly I see using him in the same capacity we used Von & Doom last year. Well use him standing up off the edge, or use him with his hand in the ground. Phillips has the second most sacks for a OLB since 2002 i believe. Guy can get after the QB.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marktheshark wrote:
M-High Marauder wrote:

Good question, thinking the same thing myself. Frankly I see using him in the same capacity we used Von & Doom last year. Well use him standing up off the edge, or use him with his hand in the ground. Phillips has the second most sacks for a OLB since 2002 i believe. Guy can get after the QB.

Even 3-4 OLB's usually play DE in the nickel set anyway, and I reckon Phillips won't play in the base set.

To be honest if Q Smith is healthy for the start of the season Phillips might not even make the team.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the contract is very favorable to the Broncos. I think there's no chance of the team pursuing Abraham or Freeney.

Quote:
Shaun Phillips got a one-year, $1 million deal. He can make another $2 million in incentives. Hits first incentive at 8 sacks.
https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/328327775683489793

The role of Phillips will probably be the designated pass-rusher. Ayers will start at RDE but Phillips will take over for passing downs. New rookie Quanterus Smith will likely play some downs later in the season. Note: If Smith does well then Phillips might not reach his incentives...
eddie mac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
marktheshark wrote:
M-High Marauder wrote:

Even 3-4 OLB's usually play DE in the nickel set anyway, and I reckon Phillips won't play in the base set.

To be honest if Q Smith is healthy for the start of the season Phillips might not even make the team.

I highly doubt that Phillips does not make the team. The guy knows how to get to the QB and you're rating a 5th rd pick coming of an acl over him?

Sig by Lil Uno thanks bro.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice effect of the signing of Phillips: A big-arsch load of confidence and attitude! Talk about creating an environment of beneficial tension.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
mke1010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
marktheshark wrote:
M-High Marauder wrote:

To be honest if Q Smith is healthy for the start of the season Phillips might not even make the team

Some of you guys really make me laugh. First, the only way Phillips is not making this team is if he gets hurt. Otherwise, Ayers is our starting DE on 1st and 2nd downs and in comes Phillips to rush the passer on 3rd downs.

Second, this idea that Q Smith will be ready to go by the start of the season is absolutely ludicrous and I think you need to stop with it. Look at the facts on his injury. Q tore his acl late in November. He is basically 4 months removed from reconstructive surgery. He will not be ready for full contact drills till end of August.

He would have missed OTAs, training camp and pre-season
games. And according to your view, it is at this time that the Broncos will cut a 9 year veteran with 70 sacks for a rookie DE who has missed nearly all of the off season prep programs? To boot read what some scouts wrote about Smith on ESPN Insider:

Multiple NFL scouts have expressed concerns regarding his consistent work ethic. Has matured during his career but still worry about how he will handle NFL money and lifestyle. Needs a lot of reps in practice before digesting schemes, new technique and terminology.

When you draft a guy like this, the idea is to put him in the best position to succeed for his entire career. The priority is not to rush him back. It looks like he is the kind of guy that will benefit from getting a chance to audit his freshman year before actually becoming a freshman. Things will slow down for him, he will get a chance to get bigger and stronger and he will learn what it means to be a pro. There will be no pressure to learn the play book. He will attend meetings and be part of the team.

Next season he comes in with a lot more confidence, knowledge and maturity. Now I am not saying he is not a freak of nature and recovers in 8 months like Adrian Peterson. The Broncos could decide that even though he missed most if not all of training camp, there is enough there to put him on PUP so that he can come in mid-season. It is a possibility. But is this scenario more likely than the one I outlined above?
I would not bet on it.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:

Most ridiculous statement made in the draft.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:

I don't know... He was posting some pretty ridiculous stuff after day two. Worst draft in ten years type garbage. Laughing

Nice job on your part for this draft. You did real well in the draft game and you were right on about alot of prospects. Jesse Williams comes to mind. Now he may end up being a good player, but you were dead on as far as his draft stock.

I didn't have a good year. Crying or Very sad

I like this draft though. Alot of good prospects and depth added in areas of need.

Phillips is going to be a good addition. He won't have alot of responsibilities other than rushing the passer. He and Ayers form what I consider a far superior product to Elvis Dumervil. The price is right on too. Phillips and Miller will be touh for teams to handle.

I am curious to see how much Von rushes from the right side this year. Phillips has had most success rushing the strong side and I am certain Von can get to the QB from anywhere.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:

I don't know... He was posting some pretty ridiculous stuff after day two. Worst draft in ten years type garbage. Laughing

I don't know winder, seems like there was some pretty serious competition in the "doom and gloom" department.

Perhaps a contest would be in order. Laughing
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to put personal feelings aside in the NFL, but this is going to be really tough for me ...

MUFC OK
broncos67

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:

Yeah, Paul one thing I think you need to realize is that just because we draft guys with potential, it doesn't mean we're going to go throwing all the veterans off the time. Like with Chris Clark, we're not just cutting him because we drafted Painter. The staff likes Clark, there's a reason he's still around.

Thanks, Tzimisce
jolly red giant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:

Second, this idea that Q Smith will be ready to go by the start of the season is absolutely ludicrous and I think you need to stop with it. Look at the facts on his injury. Q tore his acl late in November. He is basically 4 months removed from reconstructive surgery. He will not be ready for full contact drills till end of August.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith end up on IR for the season - let his injury heal fully before psuhing him.
broncos67

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jolly red giant wrote:
mke1010 wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith end up on IR for the season - let his injury heal fully before psuhing him.

I highly doubt he'll be fully there, but then again, it happened in November, so by August you could assume it's going to be close to healed. I think he's a candidate for PUP, they won't give up the whole season for him, IMO.

Thanks, Tzimisce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: