Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

#132 - Detroit Selects - Devin Taylor DE South Carolina
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nopussycat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that stands out to me are his 14 bench reps at the Combine. I understand that he improved to 21 at his pro day, but 14 is a little worrisome. If you don't have tremendous initial quickness and an understanding of leverage (like Jared Allen), it is hard to compete with that type of upper body strength.

Sig by Spartan4Life

The Lions can't suck forever,right?
DrRay11

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nopussycat wrote:
The one thing that stands out to me are his 14 bench reps at the Combine. I understand that he improved to 21 at his pro day, but 14 is a little worrisome. If you don't have tremendous initial quickness and an understanding of leverage (like Jared Allen), it is hard to compete with that type of upper body strength.

21 is decent enough. Long arms make it pretty touch to bench (know from experience). Not making excuses, but if the coaches decide he needs to add strength there, he probably will.
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
Nopussycat wrote:

21 is decent enough. Long arms make it pretty touch to bench (know from experience). Not making excuses, but if the coaches decide he needs to add strength there, he probably will.

Me too man, it sucks not being able to bench that much because of these long arms. Actually it is pretty annoying
Hahaha. This team does not belong here
Mods, take care of this troll or I will.

Hold on mods. I wanna see where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nopussycat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
Nopussycat wrote:

The improvement to 21 shows he can put in the work. The 14 shows he probably wasn't putting in the weight work while he was at South Carolina or at least that is what I can deduct from the information I have. It's just a disappointing number for a senior from an SEC program. We drafted him in the right spot but he is definitely a developmental prospect.

Sig by Spartan4Life

IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 is a nice number for him. He has extremely long arms, which makes benching waaaay harder (ask those with long arms, they'll tell you). Just look at NBA centers. Those guys have extremely long arms, but they aren't very strong because their arms are so long (and they still bust their butts in the weight room)

CWood21 wrote:
This anti-Teddy crap is getting out of hand.

R.I.P. Stylish
ManeLine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like getting guys with long arms/freakish wingspans. Ansah, Taylor and Jason Jones are all freakishly long. I think getting this size on our line, we should move to a more traditional front which will also help Suh and Fairley in return. We don't need the wide 9 because we don't have guys like Avril and a broken down KVB anymore.

Can't wait to watch our DL this year. Lot of upside to it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 reps is no problem, especially with a speed rusher. You would like the guy to work on it, but not a big deal at all.
Montana badboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for reference sake, does anyone know what Ansah benched? While bench press is a good upper body strength building workout, it isn't necessarily a good indication of strength. What I mean by that is that you can learn techniques to make your bench numbers better, but that doesn't make you stronger, like arching the back as some powerlifters do, handplacement, driving from the hips, all ways you can improve your raw numbers, but that doesn't translate into performance. I'd rather have a football player who lifts, than a lifter who tries to play football. I'm more interested in his vertical and long jump numbers.

[quote="LionsFTW"]I would throw my $1300 50 inch plasma in the garbage if we drafted Fairley.[quote]
Montana badboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I take that back, I'm more interested in his QB hits, pressures, sacks and tackles for loss.

[quote="LionsFTW"]I would throw my $1300 50 inch plasma in the garbage if we drafted Fairley.[quote]
Nopussycat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana badboy wrote:
Just for reference sake, does anyone know what Ansah benched? While bench press is a good upper body strength building workout, it isn't necessarily a good indication of strength. What I mean by that is that you can learn techniques to make your bench numbers better, but that doesn't make you stronger, like arching the back as some powerlifters do, handplacement, driving from the hips, all ways you can improve your raw numbers, but that doesn't translate into performance. I'd rather have a football player who lifts, than a lifter who tries to play football. I'm more interested in his vertical and long jump numbers.

Ansah benched 21 reps.That was tied for 13th out of the 18 Defensive Ends who did the bench press. Devin Taylor was 17th out of 18. Damontre Moore was the only player who did less. Ansah and Taylor both excelled at the 40 yard dash, vert, broad, shuttle, and 3 cone. Taylor tied for first among DE with a 10'8" broad and Ziggy led all DE's with a 4.26 Shuttle.

Sig by Spartan4Life

LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This cat has the longest wing span I think I've ever seen in football. I'm surprised he did 10.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
This cat has the longest wing span I think I've ever seen in football. I'm surprised he did 10.
Him and Hunt are both ridiculously long.

CWood21 wrote:
This anti-Teddy crap is getting out of hand.

R.I.P. Stylish
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:
I like getting guys with long arms/freakish wingspans. Ansah, Taylor and Jason Jones are all freakishly long. I think getting this size on our line, we should move to a more traditional front which will also help Suh and Fairley in return. We don't need the wide 9 because we don't have guys like Avril and a broken down KVB anymore.

Jim Washburn and Ansah are here. Wide 9is too.

Sig bet
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

Gimmick
DrRay11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

Gimmick

Maybe, but due to the huge upgrades in size I'm hoping for a boost against the run.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: