Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 4, Pick 129 - John Simon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Round 4, Pick 129 - John Simon Reply with quote

With the 129th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens select:

John Simon, DE/OLB, Ohio State

Last edited by coordinator0 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Jarret Johnson/Ninkovich. Solid.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
nevermore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they're gonna try him at ILB. I know he's played it before.

Dude, he's a football player. He's not Batman.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been high on him for awhile. He's Jarrett Johnson 2.0, only with more athleticism. Came to Ohio State a 260 pound DT. He's strong as an ox, was kicked outside two seasons ago, and was the defensive player of the year in the Big 10 last season. His lateral quickness isn't great, but he has excellent speed.

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1287397&nid=6206705&fhn=1

Founder of the Loucheiz Purifoy, Chris Young, Frank Clark, Sean Price,
Donte Moncrief, and Karlos Williams bandwagons.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Jeremiah: "almost a clone of Jarret Johnson"

So that seems to be the consensus on this guy. Sounds good to me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. This is the first pick I don't really like. It doesn't have anything to do with Simon as a player aside from his best fit being at SAM. Since the Ravens already have Upshaw I don't think there's a lot of snaps for another one of those kind of guys to get. If McClellan is definitely moving to ILB all the time there was an open spot at OLB though. After Suggs, Upshaw, and Dumervil there was only Hamilton and McAdoo. Meh, I guess he's better than Washington.
Rayvens52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Ugh. This is the first pick I don't really like. It doesn't have anything to do with Simon as a player aside from his best fit being at SAM. Since the Ravens already have Upshaw I don't think there's a lot of snaps for another one of those kind of guys to get. If McClellan is definitely moving to ILB all the time there was an open spot at OLB though. After Suggs, Upshaw, and Dumervil there was only Hamilton and McAdoo. Meh, I guess he's better than Washington.
Let's see what he does with some NFL coaching and let him play first. You can always play your way into getting more snaps.

Thanks to mike23md on the sig!
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you can, but if he's playing that likely means Upshaw isn't. I'll take the latter over the former every time. Simon might get some snaps as a LE in the 4-man DL sets though so that's something.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:

Maybe Upshaw gets some snaps at ILB? If memory serves, he played there some at Bama when Hightower was hurt.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. Pees said something about that earlier in the year and he did move Upshaw around last season. I still don't think he sees significant time there though, not with all the other guys they have on the roster.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it a little more, I like Simon a little more. While I was definitely comfortable with our ILB group with Josh Bynes headlining, it was never ideal.

I've always been a fan of double dipping at ILB in this draft if the opportunity came up... and Simon does a few things. Simon can play both ILB and ET.

So what do we have? We've got a guy who you let compete at multiple spots, but ultimately look to plug him in as a thumper back next to Brown. Just imagine, Simon and his strength out there eating up blocks allowing Brown to flow freely down the line and make plays. Simon is going to be able to blitz from the inside with his strength and technique as well. So you could keep him on the field on 3rd down and as opposed to having him on the edge, blitz him up the middle.

And Simon's versatility and ability to play ET also gives us a great depth option as an edge threat in the event that either Suggs, Upshaw, or Dumervil go down with an injury. And now you can just plug a Josh Bynes into the lineup and we don't miss much of a beat.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 10m
John Simon's position coach at Ohio State was Mike Vrabel, whom he tries to emulate.

That can't be a bad thing.
Simon for goalline package. Laughing

Dude, he's a football player. He's not Batman.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one pick I do not like. At all.

A Jarret Johnson clone? How is that a good thing? Courtney Upshaw is a better version of Jarret Johnson, and we supposedly just drafted another worse version of Johnson? So basically this guy can't run, can't cover, can't rush the passer, but is decent against the run? Why?

We need athletic OLB's - not slow run stuffers. Just my opinion though.

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

A Jarret Johnson clone? How is that a good thing? Courtney Upshaw is a better version of Jarret Johnson, and we supposedly just drafted another worse version of Johnson? So basically this guy can't run, can't cover, can't rush the passer, but is decent against the run? Why?

SOLB depth behind Upshaw? If this guy is a Jarrett Johnson clone, that's an AWESOME thing, not a negative. JJ was a very solid player for us for years.

^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

SOLB depth behind Upshaw? If this guy is a Jarrett Johnson clone, that's an AWESOME thing, not a negative. JJ was a very solid player for us for years.

Yes, it was a good thing, but not now. The league is changing and slow, unathletic linebackers are a thing of the past. Sure, this guy might offer some sort of depth behind Upshaw, but Upshaw is now also a depth player behind Dumervil.

I guess I might be being over criticial because I never view 1-4th round picks as "depth" players, which is exactly what this guy seems like. I'm also not a fan of LB's who can't do anything except stop the run.

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: