Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers select Quinton Patton WR with the 128th pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patton and Jenkins are rather similar...height and build and playing style. Jenkins may have a bit more speed than Patton, but I think it likely that only one will be on the roster about 2 years from now... Think
iwentundrafted

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
Patton and Jenkins are rather similar...height and build and playing style. Jenkins may have a bit more speed than Patton, but I think it likely that only one will be on the roster about 2 years from now... Think

dont remember who tweeted it but some analyst on twitter said bye bye Aj Jenkins once he saw we drafted Patton.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:

Jenkins is more of a slot. Patton more a number two guy. If they play up to potential we could have Crabs and Patton as one two and Jenkins in slot.
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niner4ever wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:

Jenkins is more of a slot. Patton more a number two guy. If they play up to potential we could have Crabs and Patton as one two and Jenkins in slot.

Um, doesn't Crabtree work a lot from the slot? Think
Nodean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Crabtree Reply with quote

Assuming we can resign him...
adamq

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niner4ever wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:

not really... imo AJ is an outside burner like devery henderson, I dont see him as an underneath over the middle type

-kiltman
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamq wrote:
niner4ever wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:

not really... imo AJ is an outside burner like devery henderson, I dont see him as an underneath over the middle type

I agree. If forced to peg guys in on 3 WR sets, I'd like Crabtree in the slot... AJJ at the Flanker... and Patton at the Split End. (if we are just talking those three)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this pick. I don't really think he's similar all that much to jenkins. I always so Jenkins as our supposed blow the top off a defense type guy. I think patton runs in the low 4.5's. To me, he's very technical and preceise; gets his separation through running very good routes. I saw him in the Anquan Boldin mold, which is one of the reasons i love this pick. He's got good hands, and has a ton of experience catching balls coming from that la tech offense. From what i understand, he's also a very good and willing blocker for the run game, can anyone confirm?

While I somehow doubt he's active in any more than 4 games this year barring injuries or a really unbelievable training camp and preseason (I think the 49ers will give Jenkins every opportunity possible to win that 5th and final wide receiver spot), I could easily see him sitting for a year, getting in tune with the offense and our players, and then coming in next year to start at split end and let us allow Boldin to walk. It sounds ridiculous, i know, but this is the kind of cap game you have to play, and if i can comfortably start a 4th round second year player over a veteran making 6 million per with only a minimal drop in production, you just have to do it (plus, if someone signed boldin...comp pick! lol).

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
I loved this pick. I don't really think he's similar all that much to jenkins. I always so Jenkins as our supposed blow the top off a defense type guy. I think patton runs in the low 4.5's. To me, he's very technical and preceise; gets his separation through running very good routes. I saw him in the Anquan Boldin mold, which is one of the reasons i love this pick. He's got good hands, and has a ton of experience catching balls coming from that la tech offense. From what i understand, he's also a very good and willing blocker for the run game, can anyone confirm?

While I somehow doubt he's active in any more than 4 games this year barring injuries or a really unbelievable training camp and preseason (I think the 49ers will give Jenkins every opportunity possible to win that 5th and final wide receiver spot), I could easily see him sitting for a year, getting in tune with the offense and our players, and then coming in next year to start at split end and let us allow Boldin to walk. It sounds ridiculous, i know, but this is the kind of cap game you have to play, and if i can comfortably start a 4th round second year player over a veteran making 6 million per with only a minimal drop in production, you just have to do it (plus, if someone signed boldin...comp pick! lol).

I'd say pound for pound, Patton holds his own in blocking well, and is definitely willing and aggressive in this aspect. Such a great pick at #128. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's also had return experience...which is a need for us.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best comparison on the upside - Isaac Bruce!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Best comparison on the upside - Isaac Bruce!

Prime Bruce definitely had more of a top gear than Patton, who is not a bad runner, himself, but isn't really a guy to beat defenses over the top regularly. Bruce at his best could do it all, and I don't think Patton has quite that level of physical gifts. Great pick for a 4th rounder, but no Isaac Bruce, IMO.
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I love about this pick is that 3 years down the road we could be saying this one is the biggest steal and best player from our draft. He has that ability and we didnt risk anything by picking him at the very end of the 4th round. Maybe my favorite pick in this entire draft.

On the negative side I said the exact same thing with the Ronald Johnson pick in 2011 so what do I know...?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
The thing I love about this pick is that 3 years down the road we could be saying this one is the biggest steal and best player from our draft. He has that ability and we didnt risk anything by picking him at the very end of the 4th round.

I agree with you. Every one of our first six picks (down to Lattimore) has the potential to be a really good player. They won't all hit, but there is a good chance that a few of them do, and if so, that would make it one hell of a draft. Absolutely, Patton could turn out to be the best of the bunch when all is said and done.
The-Catch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Patton more this year than I liked AJ last year. AJ I never saw anything that impressed me and from his scouting report I instantly thought of another receiver picked around the same range a few years back... by us. I hope I'm wrong on AJ and hope we're right on Patton.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: