Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

4th Round (125): Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
packerbacker87

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
personally, i was still not very impressed with the run blocking either. once and awhile green would miss a hole, but overall, there was countless times there was absolutely nothing there.

you go from watching someone like the texans run block to the packers, it's like night and day.

Green just isnt a tough runner Irish. He never seemed like he was fighting hard for yards. Juan on the other hand acted like he was running for his life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

packerbacker87 wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:
personally, i was still not very impressed with the run blocking either. once and awhile green would miss a hole, but overall, there was countless times there was absolutely nothing there.

you go from watching someone like the texans run block to the packers, it's like night and day.

Green just isnt a tough runner Irish. He never seemed like he was fighting hard for yards. Juan on the other hand acted like he was running for his life.

I guess that's your memory. It's just as valid as me saying, "Green seemed to always fight for yards. Unfortunately for whatever reason, whether it was physical limitations or poor blocking, they weren't there."

Either way Green's demonstrated a good ability in the #1 aspect of being a running back in Green Bay: blocking.
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my big concerns is that we're going to plug lacy and franklin in and the exact same crap is going to happen.

i was always one of the opinion that the O-line did not do a very good job of run blocking overall. we've actually thrown a decent amount of guys back there, and none have really had any success.

i'd watch for holes to open up and most of the time there was absolutely nothing there.

El Ramster on the amazing work
xDD80x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
The same Benson who is getting praise for a whopping 0.1 YPC improvement over Green? The OL wasn't getting crap open. He ran strong and mostly got what was there. He's not going to create on his own, but I still think the amount he offers in the passing game over Starks and Harris could win him a roster spot.

I'll bash on Benson all day, too!

Green has never been able to see it develop, he's great for running all the way to the sideline for a 1 yard gain. Watch Franklin or Lacy in traffic and you can just see they have a better feel for how a play is going to unfold.

Yes, the line was weak last year but only DuJuan Harris was able to run for a reasonable YPC. If Green brings nothing in the running game he can't be a runningback here. It's so crippling when the defense knows what type of play you're going to run based on the guy you have in the backfield.

Lacy-Harris-Franklin in ANY order. Can. Not. Wait.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
one of my big concerns is that we're going to plug lacy and franklin in and the exact same crap is going to happen.

i was always one of the opinion that the O-line did not do a very good job of run blocking overall. we've actually thrown a decent amount of guys back there, and none have really had any success.

i'd watch for holes to open up and most of the time there was absolutely nothing there.

This is my main concern as well. Yeah we got the premier RBs in the draft in Lacy and Franklin, but our line is still our line. I'm hoping MM is serious when he says he is focusing on the running game, and I believe he is. I think the coaching staff is going to work on it a whole lot this year, and I believe we'll see a marked improvement.

If anything, it's for the sake of the passing game and the longevity of Aaron Rodgers. We gave him a record setting contract. Jennings is gone. We have to develop the running game now if we want to have success in the passing game.

I'm confident Lacy/Franklin will beat those 2 deep shell/Cover 2 looks we kept getting.
vang_evo9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathstar wrote:
packerbacker87 wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

I guess that's your memory. It's just as valid as me saying, "Green seemed to always fight for yards. Unfortunately for whatever reason, whether it was physical limitations or poor blocking, they weren't there." H

Either way Green's demonstrated a good ability in the #1 aspect of being a running back in Green Bay: blocking.

I think the #1 aspect of being a runningback on ANY team is being somewhat effective running the ball, or else you'd just have another Kuhn back there. I really do hope Green develops into a good 3rd down back but that's all he can do for us especially with Lacy, Franklin, Harris, in front of him IMO.
ajdodge09

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Franklin will rep his college number, 23. Sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajdodge09 wrote:
Looks like Franklin will rep his college number, 23. Sweet.

Might need to get his jersey.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
ThinkICare

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:

Yeah, but I think the line has a lot of promise. You're right to have those concerns since they're definitely pass pro first for good reason. Think there will be plenty of gaps to run through if Lacy and Franklin have decent vision. It seems like they both do from what I've seen thus far.

I just worry about Mac abandoning the run game like he has a few times. That's a much bigger concern for me. Now that Lacy and Franklin are here, that cannot happen.
arodgers12

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of all the picks this guy is my favorite I think he is going to be a big time player in the NFL.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to YAC Franklin came in fourth (AQ conferences) behind big ten bruisers Ball and Bell, and Arizonas stud HB Kadeem Carey. Yes more than lacy, more than yeldon, and more than many other big name HB's. impressive seeing as I (probably most) never saw Franklin as that kind of player.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Lacy being more of a difference maker than Lacy in the sense that he'll be the one breaking off game changing plays. That isn't to say Lacy won't be critical to this offense. I see his role a little differently; first and second down, gain tough yards, own the third and shorts, and let Franklin and Harris come in and pop off big plays.

I really like how we complemented Lacy with JF.
packerjmf

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
I see Lacy being more of a difference maker than Lacy in the sense that he'll be the one breaking off game changing plays. That isn't to say Lacy won't be critical to this offense.

I take it the first Lacy was supposed to be Franklin? Laughing
Kampman74

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent seen this posted yet. Franklin will miss OTAs. He has to graduate first.

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/johnathan-franklin-ineligible-to-participate-in-packers-otas

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:

Perhaps this is why we are seeing a significant shake up in the O-line. I don't like Sitton and Lang switching spots, but if it works for the better why not? I'd love to see Sitton and Lang playing both sides just to screw with the D-line. Both guys play a bit differently as Lang is more of a finesse type of Guard while Sitton appears to be a bit more of a brawler to me.

I do agree that it'll be very fun to watch this. I wasn't too keen on picking Johnathan Franklin going into this, but I'll reiterate that his strengths compliment that of Lacy and Harris.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: