Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

124th overall: DE Trevardo Williams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: 124th overall: DE Trevardo Williams Reply with quote

First pick I hate. Another DE turned OLB? Confused

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/trevardo-williams?id=2539671

Quote:
Bottom Line
This native of Jamaica has the speed you’d expect from someone growing up in one of the world’s largest exporters of elite sprinters. The 2012 first-team All-Big East pick used that speed, as well as underrated strength, to put up 24 sacks the past two seasons. His lack of size limits him to very specific 4-3 schemes at defensive end, but his ability to rush the passer from a stand-up position could help him transition to a 3-4 linebacker spot at the next level. To effectively play 3-4 OLB however, he's going to need to prove that he's agile enough, and possesses enough instincts to hold up in coverage.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reed moving inside?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has like 30 sacks over his career, he isnt great against the run, but he gets after the passer. he has a bruce Irwin feel to him
Blaze

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is my 2nd fav pick behind Swearinger. Straight up athlete with great character.

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
CWood21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came in here to say I LOVE the pick for the Texans. Give him a year with a S&C coach, and you could have a real big pass rush threat here.
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Trevardo Williams will play on the inside for the Texans next to Brian Cushing.

Trevardo was an excellent pass rusher at UCONN as DE, He plays with power, explosion, & speed. Gets leverage on almost every play. Gets edge

Trevardo graded best as a 43 SOLB for me. In the Texans scheme they could use him to collect the trash in 34 & let Cushing make plays or

In 43 they can have him as 43 SOLB. Trevardo can be flexed around like Von Miller in Denver. He's a versatile player.

Pass rushing is his strength, but Wade Phillips has the ability to use him for multiple purposes.

https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herring said both Willliams and Montgomery will begin at SOLB. Reed is moving inside, love it.

Just gotta hope that one of Williams/Montgomery shows up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyracin wrote:
Quote:
Trevardo Williams will play on the inside for the Texans next to Brian Cushing.

Trevardo was an excellent pass rusher at UCONN as DE, He plays with power, explosion, & speed. Gets leverage on almost every play. Gets edge

Trevardo graded best as a 43 SOLB for me. In the Texans scheme they could use him to collect the trash in 34 & let Cushing make plays or

In 43 they can have him as 43 SOLB. Trevardo can be flexed around like Von Miller in Denver. He's a versatile player.

Pass rushing is his strength, but Wade Phillips has the ability to use him for multiple purposes.

https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock

Yeah I don't trust him at all.

That is the exact opposite of every scouting report on him and what Herring is saying. He is strictly a pass rusher. Reed will be kicking inside.

#JDI
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herring said on 610 that they had a ILB in their sights till he was taken right before us. So either Porter, Greene, or Hodges. He said the feeling in your stomach when that happens was indescribable.

I didn't hear the part about Brooks sliding inside, is the speculation, or did I just miss it?

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
dsorc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Reed possibly kicking inside, what are our subs on passing downs? Last 2 years it has been NT and ILB#2 out for CB3 and S3. Do we keep Reed as an ILB and keep Swearinger on the bench? Does Reed kick down to DE and push one of the other OLBs to the bench? Or do we turn Reed into a primarily 2-down player? Good problem to have but it will be interesting to see what packages we use next year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
With Reed possibly kicking inside, what are our subs on passing downs? Last 2 years it has been NT and ILB#2 out for CB3 and S3. Do we keep Reed as an ILB and keep Swearinger on the bench? Does Reed kick down to DE and push one of the other OLBs to the bench? Or do we turn Reed into a primarily 2-down player? Good problem to have but it will be interesting to see what packages we use next year.

Reed will almost certainly remain on the field unless we go 1 LB (then it's Cush). He will likely also be the DE in the dime leaving Mercilus or Montgomery on the bench.

#JDI
mse326

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Herring said on 610 that they had a ILB in their sights till he was taken right before us. So either Porter, Greene, or Hodges. He said the feeling in your stomach when that happens was indescribable.

I didn't hear the part about Brooks sliding inside, is the speculation, or did I just miss it?

At the press conference immediately following the pick he talked about it. Read Scurfield's or Pancake's tweets on it.

#JDI
kenney

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My perspective:
- I love the Williams pick. I think he was a second round talent.
- I am confused by Montgomery being moved to OLB as I thought that he might fit better as a 5-tech. I know he had a stigma surrounding his work ethic but when I watched the guy play and listened to his interviews I didn't see a whole lot to be overly-concerned about. Aside from being physically weaker, though, I think he is similar skillset-wise to Brooks Reed.
- One underrated aspect of the OLB moves is that the team will not have to take Braman off of ST in order to provide rotational depth. Considering Braman is considered to be the best special teamer in the league and our special teams can use all the help they can get, this is a huge bonus for us.
- I think Reed works REALLY well as an ILB. I have never been shy about my dislike of Sharpton as a player, and the combination of Reed and Cushing on the inside should thrill everyone.
- All that said, everyone should be thoroughly terrified by the idea that we may be starting Whitney Mercilus and Trevardo Williams or Sam Montgomery at OLB on opening day. This could work out... or be nearly as disastrous as 2010's corner situation. And I don't see a lot of possibility of anything between those two extremes.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevardo signed a 4 yr 2.567 mil deal today with a 407 K signing bonus

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
jch1911

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting note on Trevardo via FO's SackSeer

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/sackseer-2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: