Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

4.22 (119th overall) - FS Phillip Thomas, Fresno State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
a2piece89 wrote:

most efficient Redskins/Shanahan draft

I cant believe the players that fell to us were available for pretty much ALL our picks!!!
yeah, on the 3 DBs we got we certainly were thinking we might get 1 of them and we'd have to take that player in round 2. We had a good draft again, hopefully it looks good in 3 years also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
a2piece89 wrote:

I cant believe the players that fell to us were available for pretty much ALL our picks!!!
yeah, on the 3 DBs we got we certainly were thinking we might get 1 of them and we'd have to take that player in round 2. We had a good draft again, hopefully it looks good in 3 years also.

It was Amazing to have all three DBs drop into our laps especially 4th and 6th rounds!!
While I am a HUGE FAN of our last two drafts,

If we need to sign a FA CB next year (to replace Hall for example) or a WR etc we can Do It...
Things are looking up...
Redskins24-7

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
It was Amazing to have all three DBs drop into our laps especially 4th and 6th rounds!!

If we need to sign a FA CB next year (to replace Hall for example) or a WR etc we can Do It...
Things are looking up...

Let's not worry about who to sign next year until next year! Who knows who'll break out? I mean, if Dezmon Briscoe breaks out with a massive season, then we don't need a WR. Same thing for CB. If someone like Richard Crawford breaks out then we don't need a CB. You never know. That's the great thing about sports. Nobody expected Morris to have a, what, 1500 yard season?
Duke Ihenacho: 1 tackle
Ryan Clark: 7 tackles, 1 PDef, .5 sacks
Logan Paulsen: 2 catches, 0 yards!
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins24-7 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

Things are looking up...

Let's not worry about who to sign next year until next year! Who knows who'll break out? I mean, if Dezmon Briscoe breaks out with a massive season, then we don't need a WR. Same thing for CB. If someone like Richard Crawford breaks out then we don't need a CB. You never know. That's the great thing about sports. Nobody expected Morris to have a, what, 1500 yard season?

1600+ Cool

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-1 Tackle
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
a2piece89 wrote:

Things are looking up...
yeah. We're going to have more money to work with next year for sure and the cap will be raised. Hopefully we are healthier than we are right now at this time next offseason. As I've said all along, I think 2014 is our year! I didn't expect us to win the division last year, haha I was way off! But, I'm glad we won the division.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins24-7 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

Things are looking up...

I think it's more likely Amerson or Biggers turns out to be a replacement for Hall but, you're right, you never know. Regardless of that, we are bound to sign some free agents next off season to improve the team. I don't see the harm in talking about our future.
DCRED

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Redskins24-7 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

Things are looking up...

I think it's more likely Amerson or Biggers turns out to be a replacement for Hall but, you're right, you never know. Regardless of that, we are bound to sign some free agents next off season to improve the team. I don't see the harm in talking about our future.

I don't Always talk about football's future.... But when I do I go to football's past.com
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a couple of articles about Phillip Thomas today that I think people will enjoy.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Phillip-Thomas-Ill-Be-The-Steal-Of-The-Draft/5873efa8-9cf3-4b58-bb08-105d78f61a84

Phillip Thomas saying he's going to be the Steal of the Draft!

Many mock drafts and scouts had Thomas as a second to third round pick. He said he was not frustrated by the slide and plans to use it as motivation, which is great for us! Cool

Quote:

"I couldn't be happier with where I'm going now. [It stung] a little bit, but I'm going to come in and I'm going to give it all I've got. I'm feel I'm going to be the steal of the draft."

"I feel like it's just instincts," he said. "We changed our whole defense around this past season. I was able to just play a little bit looser and use my instincts, and be the playmaker that I always knew I was."

"[They] liked what I had to offer at the safety spot, and just being the ball hawk and all the instincts that I have," he said. "We just sat down, ate dinner, looked over some film, and that's basically what we did."

"My style of play allows me to play both [safety positions]. I'm great at going to get the ball when it's in the air," he said. "I did a lot of things as far as blitzing and playing in the box, so I feel like I can do both.

"I feel like I'm an interchangeable safety that can make plays in the box and also play in the high hole and make plays in the air."

"I'm happy that the Redskins organization chose me to be that safety. It's an amazing feeling. I'm happy I'm able to be a Redskin now. I can't wait to get out there and get to work."

http://washingtonexaminer.com/thoughts-and-observations-phillip-thomas/article/2528485

Quote:
Here’s what former Redskins safety Matt Bowen told me a few weeks ago for my email report: “You draft someone in the third round and they’ll have a tough time beating out Reed Doughty. Fans don’t want to hear that. They want to hear they’ll get a guy who will come in and be awesome on day one. Reed’s been playing a long time. I know he doesn’t have the skill set of Earl Thomas but he understands what motion tells him and he understands what you get out of a bunch formation vs. a stack. So for a rookie to beat him out he has to make a lot of plays in the preseason to the point where the Skins say we’ll have ups and downs with this kid, but he will make impact plays for us. … [Sean Taylor] made a lot of mistakes as a rookie and he’s one of the best players I’ve ever seen in my life.”

I also jsut got an email update from John Keim's blog; 5 things I learned about Phillip Thomas

1. The Fresno State Bulldogs' coaches considered him a smart player with a high football IQ.

2. His high football IQ enabled Thomas to overcome what some perceive as a weakness: his speed. Thomas doesn't play much single high safety, they offten lined him up on the weakside of the field. They used him in college more as a SS allowing him to do things from the wide side because he has great instincts and can make plays on the ball. Coaches said Thomas could do just about anything on the field because of his high Football IQ. They feel because of this high IQ he could transition to playing as a deep FS. In college he usually played within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, the scheme is similar to the Redskins scheme and we got our scheme from the Steelers. The coaches also said he drives downhill while the ball is in the air and this would be invaluable as a Free Safety.

3. Thomas needs to improve as a tackler. Some of the missed tackles early in the season were from rust because he missed the 2011 season with injury. He did improve his tackling as the season went on.

4. Coaches said Thomas was a ballhawk for three seasons: preparation, a sixth sense and athleticism. He watched a lot of film and was always prepared for his opponents. He payed attention to pre snap formations, his sense within of a play to take a shot at the ball was amazing coaches said. He also has great athleticism, although he doesnt' have 4.4 speed, he can change directions well.

5. Most importantly what John Keim learned is that that Thomas is coachable and smart. Coaches said he was a great lockeroom leader for the team and he led others in workouts during the offseason. He is a hard worker and great leader.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/05/03/what-lies-ahead-for-rookie-safeties-phillip-thomas-and-bacarri-rambo/

Mike Jones had a good article also in where he interviewed Matt Bowen, former SS for the Redskins and other teams about what he thought of Thomas and Rambo.

It's a good read. He doesn't assume that either would start over Reed Dought right away, even though others seem to believe that Thomas will be starting along side Meriweather (if he's healthy) opening day.

I think the best quotes form this article are these ones by Bowen:

Quote:
Every report I’ve read on these two is, they’re playmakers. Well, what you want is safeties that don’t get beat. Yeah, they’re playmakers, but how many plays does he give up? Preventing the big play is how you win games. In the pros, that’s your job.”

Bowen continues: “A Jim Haslett defense, just like a Gregg Williams defense, is very demanding of safeties. You have to do a lot on the back end, and you have to be the angel of the defense. You’ve got to protect everybody. Haslett’s safeties, they don’t just sit in Cover-2. They do a lot of creative things, and because of that, they’re really going to have to study.”

“Sometimes, the best thing for a young player is getting beat,” Bowen says. “Getting through ups and downs is how you learn. It’s when you get beat that you can go back and learn and understand what happened, what you did wrong and how to get better. The Redskins fans going to training camp need to be patient. They’ll see them get beat a lot. But that’s where they’ll learn.

“It’s not an easy position. You make a mistake and get booed by 90,000 people at FedEx Field? I’ve been there. It’s a demanding, tough position,” Bowen concludes. “But I hope they play well. They have the ability. They just have to work. They were good draft picks, players they needed to add to be successful.”

Redskins24-7

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Redskins24-7 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

Things are looking up...

I don't Always talk about football's future.... But when I do I go to football's past.com

Laughing Laughing I think I misspoke before. It's ok to talk about the future, but it's only speculation at this point. I'm the kind of person who likes worrying about the task at hand (beating the Eagles week 1) rather than looking far into the future (say, the 2014 Draft/FA). I think the reason I feel this way is because I don't want to get my hopes up about acquiring a certain player, then getting let down when we don't get him (Aqib Talib, for one).
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins24-7 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Redskins24-7 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

Things are looking up...

Laughing Laughing I think I misspoke before. It's ok to talk about the future, but it's only speculation at this point. I'm the kind of person who likes worrying about the task at hand (beating the Eagles week 1) rather than looking far into the future (say, the 2014 Draft/FA). I think the reason I feel this way is because I don't want to get my hopes up about acquiring a certain player, then getting let down when we don't get him (Aqib Talib, for one).
Confused Wait, wait, wait...

Isn't the Eagles game week 1 in the future? It's not really the task at hand either. Wink

If we're talking about "only" the task at hand, then we'd only be talking about the Rookie mini camp starting next week. Wink
Redskins24-7

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Redskins24-7 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Redskins24-7 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

Things are looking up...

Isn't the Eagles game week 1 in the future? It's not really the task at hand either. Wink

If we're talking about "only" the task at hand, then we'd only be talking about the Rookie mini camp starting next week. Wink

Well, true, but I worry more about what happens in the games that matter. Like, I'll do a bit of reading about what's going on in OTA's and stuff, but I like truly seeing what's going on. I can do just that during the preseason and, of course, the game vs the Eagles. Cool
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins24-7 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Redskins24-7 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Redskins24-7 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

Things are looking up...

Well, true, but I worry more about what happens in the games that matter. Like, I'll do a bit of reading about what's going on in OTA's and stuff, but I like truly seeing what's going on. I can do just that during the preseason and, of course, the game vs the Eagles. Cool
yeah. I knew what you meant, I was just busting your chops. Laughing
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Growing up as a Redskins fan in California, Thomas is also intimately familiar with the Redskins' roster, if only from a distance.

"I knew that we needed a safety. I've been a Redskins fan my whole life," he said. "I know [Redskins safety Brandon] Meriweather was hurt this year and they needed a safety who could play the ball in the air.

That was my favorite part.
Glad to see Thomas in a Redskins uniform
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins24-7 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Redskins24-7 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

Things are looking up...

Wasn't even looking at any specific player/ position for certain anyway.... Just mentioning that we will have options in FA that weren't available in the past two Years....

Our FO just showed excellent strategies in the draft going for BPA, that paved the way to utilize FA next year correctly, I hope.. but I Like Options...
a2piece89

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We lucked out, praise The Lord. I think Phillip and Chris Thompson are the two that will outshine their draft status the most. Keenan Allen or not I'm good. Hanky is abt to take off.

Sept 9th
"Can't wait!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: