Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Giants select QB - Ryan Nassib - Syracuse (4th - 110th)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jerseyboy257


Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 502
Location: Northern Jersey
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got a player that was often mocked as early as 8th overall at pick 110. Case closed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Byrdman


Joined: 09 Feb 2010
Posts: 534
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:
We got a player that was often mocked as early as 8th overall at pick 110. Case closed


Wow that makes me feel so much better. Mockers trying to link a old college coach to his player. Oh and he pass on this guy for EJ Manuel. That doesn't say very much for this guy. You guys crack me up believing Reese can't do any wrong. I might alone on this but getting a QB in the 4th to back up the best QB we have ever had is a waste. Could have got some good guys that could help the team instead of sitting on the bench holding a clip board.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minutemancl


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 11701
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
We got a player that was often mocked as early as 8th overall at pick 110. Case closed


Wow that makes me feel so much better. Mockers trying to link a old college coach to his player. Oh and he pass on this guy for EJ Manuel. That doesn't say very much for this guy. You guys crack me up believing Reese can't do any wrong. I might alone on this but getting a QB in the 4th to back up the best QB we have ever had is a waste. Could have got some good guys that could help the team instead of sitting on the bench holding a clip board.


Oh, you mean a need pick? That if we made, everyone would be upset because we pick for need?

We go through this literally every single year.
_________________
aceinthehouse wrote:
But why not maintain that dominance? You guys were there...

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Byrdman


Joined: 09 Feb 2010
Posts: 534
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
Byrdman wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
We got a player that was often mocked as early as 8th overall at pick 110. Case closed


Wow that makes me feel so much better. Mockers trying to link a old college coach to his player. Oh and he pass on this guy for EJ Manuel. That doesn't say very much for this guy. You guys crack me up believing Reese can't do any wrong. I might alone on this but getting a QB in the 4th to back up the best QB we have ever had is a waste. Could have got some good guys that could help the team instead of sitting on the bench holding a clip board.


Oh, you mean a need pick? That if we made, everyone would be upset because we pick for need?

We go through this literally every single year.


So your saying we should draft a QB every because he's higher on the board then someone else. I would have like it if they would bring someone in the can at least compete for a job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minutemancl


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 11701
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
Byrdman wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
We got a player that was often mocked as early as 8th overall at pick 110. Case closed


Wow that makes me feel so much better. Mockers trying to link a old college coach to his player. Oh and he pass on this guy for EJ Manuel. That doesn't say very much for this guy. You guys crack me up believing Reese can't do any wrong. I might alone on this but getting a QB in the 4th to back up the best QB we have ever had is a waste. Could have got some good guys that could help the team instead of sitting on the bench holding a clip board.


Oh, you mean a need pick? That if we made, everyone would be upset because we pick for need?

We go through this literally every single year.


So your saying we should draft a QB every because he's higher on the board then someone else. I would have like it if they would bring someone in the can at least compete for a job.


If he's the highest person on the board by a long shot, like Nassib was, why not take him if you are committed to the BPA philosophy?

We're not a rebuilding team. A 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th round pick is more than likely not going to be an upgrade to what we have right now. Remember Philip Dillard? Greg Jones? Stoney Woodson? Deandre Wright? All late round guys at "positions of need" and all but one aren't even in the NFL anymore.
_________________
aceinthehouse wrote:
But why not maintain that dominance? You guys were there...

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Byrdman


Joined: 09 Feb 2010
Posts: 534
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
Byrdman wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
Byrdman wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
We got a player that was often mocked as early as 8th overall at pick 110. Case closed


Wow that makes me feel so much better. Mockers trying to link a old college coach to his player. Oh and he pass on this guy for EJ Manuel. That doesn't say very much for this guy. You guys crack me up believing Reese can't do any wrong. I might alone on this but getting a QB in the 4th to back up the best QB we have ever had is a waste. Could have got some good guys that could help the team instead of sitting on the bench holding a clip board.


Oh, you mean a need pick? That if we made, everyone would be upset because we pick for need?

We go through this literally every single year.


So your saying we should draft a QB every because he's higher on the board then someone else. I would have like it if they would bring someone in the can at least compete for a job.


If he's the highest person on the board by a long shot, like Nassib was, why not take him if you are committed to the BPA philosophy?

We're not a rebuilding team. A 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th round pick is more than likely not going to be an upgrade to what we have right now. Remember Philip Dillard? Greg Jones? Stoney Woodson? Deandre Wright? All late round guys at "positions of need" and all but one aren't even in the NFL anymore.


At least we tried to find a gem with those guys. We have business drafting a QB unless we plan on moving on from Eli. Eli got at least another 6 years in him. So no need in looking for a replacement now. Maybe in 3 or 4 years
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minutemancl


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 11701
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
Byrdman wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
Byrdman wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
We got a player that was often mocked as early as 8th overall at pick 110. Case closed


Wow that makes me feel so much better. Mockers trying to link a old college coach to his player. Oh and he pass on this guy for EJ Manuel. That doesn't say very much for this guy. You guys crack me up believing Reese can't do any wrong. I might alone on this but getting a QB in the 4th to back up the best QB we have ever had is a waste. Could have got some good guys that could help the team instead of sitting on the bench holding a clip board.


Oh, you mean a need pick? That if we made, everyone would be upset because we pick for need?

We go through this literally every single year.


So your saying we should draft a QB every because he's higher on the board then someone else. I would have like it if they would bring someone in the can at least compete for a job.


If he's the highest person on the board by a long shot, like Nassib was, why not take him if you are committed to the BPA philosophy?

We're not a rebuilding team. A 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th round pick is more than likely not going to be an upgrade to what we have right now. Remember Philip Dillard? Greg Jones? Stoney Woodson? Deandre Wright? All late round guys at "positions of need" and all but one aren't even in the NFL anymore.


At least we tried to find a gem with those guys. We have business drafting a QB unless we plan on moving on from Eli. Eli got at least another 6 years in him. So no need in looking for a replacement now. Maybe in 3 or 4 years


What if Nassib develops (which he very well could, all his flaws are fixable and he's a smart guy) and we show him off a bit then trade him to a team that misses out on Bridgewater or Johnny Football for a 2nd or 3rd? We could go a couple ways with the pick and I like them all.
_________________
aceinthehouse wrote:
But why not maintain that dominance? You guys were there...

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dkebones


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 3554
Location: Giants fan in the Seahawk's backyard...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
Byrdman wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
We got a player that was often mocked as early as 8th overall at pick 110. Case closed


Wow that makes me feel so much better. Mockers trying to link a old college coach to his player. Oh and he pass on this guy for EJ Manuel. That doesn't say very much for this guy. You guys crack me up believing Reese can't do any wrong. I might alone on this but getting a QB in the 4th to back up the best QB we have ever had is a waste. Could have got some good guys that could help the team instead of sitting on the bench holding a clip board.


Oh, you mean a need pick? That if we made, everyone would be upset because we pick for need?

We go through this literally every single year.


Stop acting like BPA is the literal be-all, end-all. That also gets argued about every year and its asinine to think bPA is the only way to draft. Why hadn't they picked him in the second or third if he was so high?
_________________
“I feel sorry for people who don’t drink. They wake up in the morning and that’s the best they’re going to feel all day.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minutemancl


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 11701
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
Byrdman wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
We got a player that was often mocked as early as 8th overall at pick 110. Case closed


Wow that makes me feel so much better. Mockers trying to link a old college coach to his player. Oh and he pass on this guy for EJ Manuel. That doesn't say very much for this guy. You guys crack me up believing Reese can't do any wrong. I might alone on this but getting a QB in the 4th to back up the best QB we have ever had is a waste. Could have got some good guys that could help the team instead of sitting on the bench holding a clip board.


Oh, you mean a need pick? That if we made, everyone would be upset because we pick for need?

We go through this literally every single year.


Stop acting like BPA is the literal be-all, end-all. That also gets argued about every year and its asinine to think bPA is the only way to draft. Why hadn't they picked him in the second or third if he was so high?


We've won SBs with the BPA strategy. You know who drafts for need? The Browns and Raiders.

And he didn't get selected in the 2nd or 3rd because other teams were drafting for need. He didn't get selected by us in the 2nd or 3rd because Hankins and Moore were ranked higher.
_________________
aceinthehouse wrote:
But why not maintain that dominance? You guys were there...

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Byrdman


Joined: 09 Feb 2010
Posts: 534
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can argue till your blue in the face that this was a good pick and you will never convince me. In 3 or 4 years I could understand but not now Eli is in his prime and maybe he isn't good is why everybody else passed on him.

Last edited by Byrdman on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Biggsam49


Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Posts: 761
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dislike for now. Good for the future. Would rather have built for now while we're a contender.

Only way it pays off is if Nassib gets time soon. I hope that doesn't happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colm_bri


Joined: 05 Dec 2007
Posts: 1856
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
I don't understand the fixation with "future value". How many times has it happened in the last ten years that a backup qb was traded for any, let alone legitimate, value? Schaub is the only one I can think of. Drafting isn't like the stock market or commodity investing, you don't just speculate that if you make the investment today with the expectation that you can multiply that investment into something more. Bpa vs need drafting or not, unless you are truly dedicated to this kid for 5 years as Eli's successor, this pick makes little sense to me.


Are you kidding? Just off the top of my head Mark Burnell, Brett Farve, Matt Hasselbeck, Aj Feely, Matt Schaub, and Charlie Whitehurst. All guys drafted by teams that had no need at QB used a later round pick on them and traded then a few years down the round for very good draft picks. Would rather of spent the picks on LBs that never pan out like we usually do?
_________________


^^QuinneyluvsNFL^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minutemancl


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 11701
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colm_bri wrote:
dkebones wrote:
I don't understand the fixation with "future value". How many times has it happened in the last ten years that a backup qb was traded for any, let alone legitimate, value? Schaub is the only one I can think of. Drafting isn't like the stock market or commodity investing, you don't just speculate that if you make the investment today with the expectation that you can multiply that investment into something more. Bpa vs need drafting or not, unless you are truly dedicated to this kid for 5 years as Eli's successor, this pick makes little sense to me.


Are you kidding? Just off the top of my head Mark Burnell, Brett Farve, Matt Hasselbeck, Aj Feely, Matt Schaub, and Charlie Whitehurst. All guys drafted by teams that had no need at QB used a later round pick on them and traded then a few years down the round for very good draft picks. Would rather of spent the picks on LBs that never pan out like we usually do?


Colm bri! Welcome back my man. We've missed you.
_________________
aceinthehouse wrote:
But why not maintain that dominance? You guys were there...

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NYGiantsman10


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 9859
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would've preferred Barrett Jones or BW Webb but I get why the Giants made this pick. If Eli ever gets hurt the Giants can't just flush their whole season down the toilet (which is what they'd be doing if Carr started) and say "Oh well, our franchise QB got hurt". Nope. Bring in a hungry young QB. Promote competition at every spot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Gmen


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 15458
Location: Myyyyy precioussss
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Giants have carried only 2 QBs for a long time. Do we want a rookie backing up Eli? I wouldn't be surprised Nassib goes on IR at the end of preseason with "shoulder soreness". Laughing
_________________


"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group