Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Giants select QB - Ryan Nassib - Syracuse (4th - 110th)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Giants select QB - Ryan Nassib - Syracuse (4th - 110th) Reply with quote

Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

Quote:
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Thick-bodied arm talent who can distribute the ball at every level. Plus velocity when balanced and clean in his footwork. Strong, quick release, gets the ball out in a hurry on hitches and slants. Accurate to all parts of the field when in rhythm. Comes off initial read, can look off safety to come to the opposite side of the field. Willing to shovel the ball or make a last-ditch throw to make a play instead of taking a sack. Displays the ability to step up within the pocket or move to either side to create space to throw. Flashes air, touch, and accuracy on fades in the end zone. Puts a lot of air under deep balls, giving his man a chance to make a play. Sells play action and screens well. Places the ball on the run, especially to his right. Competitive player who directs his teammates well and does not give up on any game. Tough enough to take big hits, bull for a first down with his feet.

WEAKNESSES Possesses only average height for the position. Gunslinger mentality causes him to trust his arm and receivers too much, resulting in bad decisions/turnovers. Not in elite in his mobility or elusiveness outside the pocket, won’t run away from NFL defenders. Footwork is inconsistent, gets happy and actually hops around when trying to find a target. Must be more consistent transferring weight through the throw, relies on his strong arm at times and comes up short on outs or sails throws over the middle. Works nearly exclusively out of the shotgun, but has athleticism to handle plays under center.

NFL COMPARISON Jake Locker

BOTTOM LINE Nassib doesn’t have exceptional size or athleticism, but the muscle bound thrower has a rifle for an arm and was finally comfortable in the Syracuse offense in 2012, even though his happy feet might suggest differently. The senior might have a tendency to sail targets and force some poor reads, but multiple teams will likely consider adding Nassib as an early starter, not just a backup or developmental prospect as many suspected prior to this season.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ryan-nassib?id=2539961

We traded up for him. Great value here imo. Will get us value in the future.

^Stone85 on the sig^

Last edited by Save The Hero on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big fan of this pick. Would've liked Barrett Jones or BW Webb but this is a very intriguing pick. Maybe we flip him for a couple twos in a couple years. He'll make the preseason more fun though
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The value is certainly there, but I just don't see the need for a backup QB. If Eli goes down, we're not winning many games anyway. So draft players that can help you win games.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
percellovegiant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What value??!! we need a LB not a quarterback, We need help in the secondary, and we still need another OL.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
Big fan of this pick. Would've liked Barrett Jones or BW Webb but this is a very intriguing pick. Maybe we flip him for a couple twos in a couple years. He'll make the preseason more fun though

Agree. Value too good here though. Had him as my 4th best QB behind Geno Smith, EJ Manuel and Mike Glennon. He's very accurate in the short to mid and flashes a strong arm though he floats a lot of passes deep. I think he needs to improve him footwork but he couldn't do that at Syracuse, because he got killed by his oline minus Pugh. Maybe he can improve his deep game but he will be a good backup and get us value in the future.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 10m
Giants had Nassib rated in the second row of prospects on their board. They're already down into their fourth row. #NYG

^Stone85 on the sig^
Byrdman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see this as any value. Horrible pick last thing the Giants needed. Could have got Jones, Greene, Hodges, or that corner from Oregon state. There was a ton of talent left on the board. Eli can play at least 6 more years makes you wonder what Reese was even thinking.
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was hoping to wake up and see us take Hodges ... Not sure of the pick really.

He'll definitely be better than Carr or Painter if Deli goes down ... But Eli doesn't go down Laughing

We the North
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was BPA quite simply. If you look at him you see a very tough QB with a lot of zip in his arm, very accurate in short to mid, mobile in the pocket, waits until the last moment to throw the ball, durable, smart, and confident. He got no help from his oline (other than Pugh) or receivers (minus maybe Lemon) at Syracuse, yet he still got the ball to a good spot and 26 TDs and only 10 INTs.

His weaknesses are his deep throw and footwork. I think both are fixable. He seems to have the armstrength but he puts too much air on the ball imo. That may have a correlation with his footwork.

I think this guy is ready to be a backup right away and will be a good starter in the future. He will get us future value and in the meantime be a great backup if Eli goes down (he is getting older now, already 32).

^Stone85 on the sig^
dkebones

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the fixation with "future value". How many times has it happened in the last ten years that a backup qb was traded for any, let alone legitimate, value? Schaub is the only one I can think of. Drafting isn't like the stock market or commodity investing, you don't just speculate that if you make the investment today with the expectation that you can multiply that investment into something more. Bpa vs need drafting or not, unless you are truly dedicated to this kid for 5 years as Eli's successor, this pick makes little sense to me.
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
I don't understand the fixation with "future value". How many times has it happened in the last ten years that a backup qb was traded for any, let alone legitimate, value? Schaub is the only one I can think of. Drafting isn't like the stock market or commodity investing, you don't just speculate that if you make the investment today with the expectation that you can multiply that investment into something more. Bpa vs need drafting or not, unless you are truly dedicated to this kid for 5 years as Eli's successor, this pick makes little sense to me.

Kevin Kolb. Plus its not just about future value, its also having a great and cheap backup.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Byrdman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see future value. Unless they don't plan on resigning Eli.
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:
dkebones wrote:

Kevin Kolb. Plus its not just about future value, its also having a great and cheap backup.

AJ Feely fetched a 2nd round pick back in the day too. Like I said in the other thread, no football team's fortunes whould wholly hinge on the health of one guy. Nassib at least gives the offense a fighting chance if Eli (God forbid) goes down. QB is the most important position. A good backup is a must
HamilcarBarca

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add that Eli was injured/fatigued last year. Having a serviceable backup could give the iron man a needed break if this issue persists.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:
I don't see this as any value. Horrible pick last thing the Giants needed. Could have got Jones, Greene, Hodges, or that corner from Oregon state. There was a ton of talent left on the board. Eli can play at least 6 more years makes you wonder what Reese was even thinking.

Since when do the Giants draft for need? Or when have you ever wanted them to draft for need?

Nassib was a ranked on our board as a 2nd rounder. Easy choice.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: