Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

4th Round (109): David Bakhtiari, OL, Colorado
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Green wrote:
I honestly think they will actively try to replace Newhouse. He's been with us 3 years and we should know enough about him to make a decision....to cut him.

If there's anyone on our starting OL in danger of being cut it's Newhouse

There's no reason to cut Newhouse, even if he isn't starting, he's a valuable backup on a cheap contract. If you want to get rid of him, there are teams who would throw you a late round pick for him, and if you just let him play out his rookie deal you'll probably get a comp pick for him.
boratt

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage,

Where did you hear Bakhtiari was the 6th rated OT on the Packers board?

sig courtesy of BrettFavre004. THANKS!!
The Kuhn

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
Mr Green wrote:
I honestly think they will actively try to replace Newhouse. He's been with us 3 years and we should know enough about him to make a decision....to cut him.

There's no reason to cut Newhouse, even if he isn't starting, he's a valuable backup on a cheap contract. If you want to get rid of him, there are teams who would throw you a late round pick for him, and if you just let him play out his rookie deal you'll probably get a comp pick for him.

I disagree. If it frees up a roster spot why not? Barclay is the likely favorite at RT as of today, as he ended the season as a starter. Sherrod will back up LT and that leaves Bak, Datko and Newhouse for the backup spot. MM and TT have clearly made a point that we want a better run game this season and run blocking is clearly not Newhouse's strength. If (big if) Datko and Sherrod show anything in TC I can see Newhouse being one of those tough cuts (or trades as you point out). We have Bak and Tretter as interior backups. I like Datko's upside way more than I like Newhouse's. If it is between those two to backup RT I take Datko.

Any comp for Newhouse is good but I dont see us getting more than a 6th. Then again I didnt see Walden getting 16 mil for 4 years Laughing
spilltray

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Barclay playing RT last year makes him the favorite this year. He was all that was left last year. He is a hard worker with somewhat limited physical tools and a very raw skill set. Personally I don't see him as a starter and think it's going to be a battle at RT primarily between Newhouse and Sherrod with Datko and Barclay only getting token looks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ayt

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
I don't think Barclay playing RT last year makes him the favorite this year. He was all that was left last year. He is a hard worker with somewhat limited physical tools and a very raw skill set. Personally I don't see him as a starter and think it's going to be a battle at RT primarily between Newhouse and Sherrod with Datko and Barclay only getting token looks.

I agree with your overall point, but I'd like to see Bakhtiari get a shot in the RT battle as well.
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:

I agree and disagree.

I would be the first to tell ya Barclay has the least amount of god given ability/upside out of all the tackle prospects. Ability is not the only thing that matters though. Very real chance this staff gives Barclay his long look at RT. Not saying I would agree with them, but I would understand why.

Just think it's at some level a shame because I truly feel he could be a TJ Lang type guard with some development. Also think there is a good chance they rep Bak inside if they keep Barclay outside. Again, something I would like to see the other way around.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya palmy. Boy do I ever hear ya...
Beast

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
spilltray wrote:

I agree and disagree.

I would be the first to tell ya Barclay has the least amount of god given ability/upside out of all the tackle prospects. Ability is not the only thing that matters though. Very real chance this staff gives Barclay his long look at RT. Not saying I would agree with them, but I would understand why.

Just think it's at some level a shame because I truly feel he could be a TJ Lang type guard with some development. Also think there is a good chance they rep Bak inside if they keep Barclay outside. Again, something I would like to see the other way around.

Barclay might be the worse in pass protection of all the guys we're talking about at RT ... but the reason he's still an option there is because he makes up for it with his run blocking and not willing to give an inch / battle type attitude.

I feel like Barclay could be a Josh Sitton type guard... I don't think ether of them move as well as Lang but both are a lot more physical and better in the run game IMO.

When MM said Lang can play Center in his post draft interview, I got excited, no offense to D-Smith, but I would love to see a great moving C like Lang is with two big/powerful run blockers like Sitton and Barclay on each side of him. Of course that would depend on if Lang can play Center well or not and if they got the OT thing squared away.

I understand why they want to take a look at Barclay at RT, but I'm hoping he also get a chance to battle Lang for the RG spot and Lang gets to battle D-Smith for the Center spot.

I was thinking Newhouse and Sherrod battling for RT.. with Bak working there and growing into the position. (and if he's ready to battle as a rookie than let him)...
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kuhn wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
Mr Green wrote:

I disagree. If it frees up a roster spot why not? Barclay is the likely favorite at RT as of today, as he ended the season as a starter. Sherrod will back up LT and that leaves Bak, Datko and Newhouse for the backup spot. MM and TT have clearly made a point that we want a better run game this season and run blocking is clearly not Newhouse's strength. If (big if) Datko and Sherrod show anything in TC I can see Newhouse being one of those tough cuts (or trades as you point out). We have Bak and Tretter as interior backups. I like Datko's upside way more than I like Newhouse's. If it is between those two to backup RT I take Datko.

Any comp for Newhouse is good but I dont see us getting more than a 6th. Then again I didnt see Walden getting 16 mil for 4 years :lol:

Offseason roster is 90. You don't have to cut to 75 until after the third preseason game. So you have until late August to either shop Newhouse or let him win a starting job. I don't see what the hurry is around here to cut people in the offseason.
Gopackgonerd

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Bak. He's got long arms, and finishes blocks. He plays very well for his size. If he gets stronger, watch out for this guy. Like others said on this forum, he could be starting for us at RT when it's all said and done.
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Also think there is a good chance they rep Bak inside if they keep Barclay outside. Again, something I would like to see the other way around.

Not sure, but considering the fact Newhouse is a UFA after this season I could see them keeping him at tackle. I think there is a four man competition at RT with Bak, Barclay, Newhouse, and Sherrod. I'm starting to get the feeling that Barclay and Bak are the favorites to win it. Better run blockers.

Sig brought to you by Justo
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast wrote:

Barclay might be the worse in pass protection of all the guys we're talking about at RT ... but the reason he's still an option there is because he makes up for it with his run blocking and not willing to give an inch / battle type attitude.

This is specifically why I think we really should be putting in O-line sub packages as crazy and odd as it may seem. We have about 3 or 4 guys who have a complete skill set as linemen but we have a few more who seem to almost specialize in one or two particular areas.

As much as others may hate this, Newhouse is going to be a starting tackle on opening day. The fact is that if we got rid of him, we'd be picking from a group of guys that are either coming off of major injuries and haven't proven much of anything or just flat out don't have the experience that Newhouse does. I'm confident our O-line will be better, but we really just don't have anyone to replace Newhouse at this point in time; even if someone like Bak lights it up in camp.
justo

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone find it telling that the staff has talked about basically all the OT's on our team besides Datko, or am I trying to read something that's not there?
spilltray

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Anyone find it telling that the staff has talked about basically all the OT's on our team besides Datko, or am I trying to read something that's not there?

They talk mostly about whoever they are asked about. Datko is just flying under the radar.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beast

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:

Since Barclay and Van Roten both got called up before Datko, I've been thinking he's a goner. unless he has a major improvement in this off-season.

And OT seem crowded now... at most they keep 10 OL ...

For sure keepers (if healthy) are

Bulaga, Sitton, D-Smith, Lang, Barclay, Newhouse (6 spots)

Which leaves 4 spots... and you know they're going to try to keep Sherrod and Bak after the picks they invested. (that's 8 spots and at least 4 OTs)

They're also going to want a back-up Center (which MM did say Lang can play Center so maybe just maybe they already have that, but do they want Lang at Center full time in practice or will they want to keep another?)

And that leaves the 2nd OL draft pick, Datko, Van Roten and others competing for one or two spots... and the 2nd OL draft pick probably has an edge as he's the recent draft pick... and Van Roten beat out Datko last year for a spot... so he's probably ahead as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: