Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

4th Round (109): David Bakhtiari, OL, Colorado
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
I absolutely think this is Lang's replacement. When is his contract up? Think of the transition from Colledge to Lang. Colledge was a starter. Lang was a similar player who got weight training and some game time. Colledge's contract ended, we decided to go younger and cheaper for a similar player. I think if it works out the way we want, history repeats itself.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
I absolutely think this is Lang's replacement. When is his contract up? Think of the transition from Colledge to Lang. Colledge was a starter. Lang was a similar player who got weight training and some game time. Colledge's contract ended, we decided to go younger and cheaper for a similar player. I think if it works out the way we want, history repeats itself.

Couldn't disagree more here. Lang just signed a big extension. I don't think he was drafted to replace anyone. He was drafted to compete for a spot because they liked him and if he beats someone, good. I highly doubt it's Lang though, for the next couple years at least.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

Couldn't disagree more here. Lang just signed a big extension. I don't think he was drafted to replace anyone. He was drafted to compete for a spot because they liked him and if he beats someone, good. I highly doubt it's Lang though, for the next couple years at least.

I really think that Bakhtiari was intended to be the player who Newhouse was originally supposed to be. College OT who will likely be better suited to guard, but can be a decent RT and play LT in a pinch. Newhouse never really showed the mindset to play inside, and had trouble reversing the footwork so that didn't really pan out.

At least, the Bakhtiari pick is like the Newhouse pick in 2010, though Bakhtiari is a better prospect than Newhouse was.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

Well scratch that thought then. Laughing I didn't realize he was signed for that long. It's probably Newhouse then.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Mr Green

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think they will actively try to replace Newhouse. He's been with us 3 years and we should know enough about him to make a decision....to cut him.

If there's anyone on our starting OL in danger of being cut it's Newhouse.

The left side needs improving, McCarthy said just as much. I reckon he will lose his spot and his reps will be given to other players in the hope they will improve and replace Newhouse. We all know he is unable to play guard so he will be out of favour so dramatically that I think he is gone after training camp.

I think LT will be between either Sherrod or Bulaga with the right side competed between Barclay, Tretter and Bakhtiari.

i reckon that's the plan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have much rather had Tharold Simon, Shamarko Thomas, or Aaron Malllete with this pick. But obviously TT must know something I don't.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenReign wrote:
I would have much rather had Tharold Simon, Shamarko Thomas, or Aaron Malllete with this pick. But obviously TT must know something I don't.

yeah, like Tharold getting arrested the first night of the draft Very Happy
Arodsmightybelt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
I think we carry ten, we have carried nine three of the last four years, last year we carried eight but had nowhere near the kind of talent that we had.

A while back MM said something about completely reworking the running game (which people erroneously took as "we're going to a power scheme"); I wonder if one of the wrinkles we're adding is an 6 OL look.

Could conceivably go light* on TEs, and heavier on OL.

*(light on TEs for MM is honestly not that light.)

I hope so, its high time for that. theres no reason to keep more than 3 TEs and 3 RBs on the roster
Kampman74

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we have five guys from this years draft that we don't even know what they will be playing until TC? The two olinemen, the second dlinemen ( could play NT or DE) and the two linebackers could play inside or outside. I hope that they get these guys settled in on a position instead of going for the jack of all trades olineman get them at least at interior of tackle and go from there. Too much time learner all the spots and not enough time mastering one could be a bad thing as we saw with Colledge.
MMcKay16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

Well scratch that thought then. Laughing I didn't realize he was signed for that long. It's probably Newhouse then.

I really don't know why we would want to cut Newhouse, sure most of us don't like him because we think he did poorly at LT for a whole season. I'd sure feel a lot better with him on the bench than any of these new players. Mind you I don't think we seem him back after he hits free agency but I don't know why we would cut our fifth or sixth best linemen to carry rookies on the roster.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcKay16 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

I really don't know why we would want to cut Newhouse, sure most of us don't like him because we think he did poorly at LT for a whole season. I'd sure feel a lot better with him on the bench than any of these new players. Mind you I don't think we seem him back after he hits free agency but I don't know why we would cut our fifth or sixth best linemen to carry rookies on the roster.

That's what I meant. Honestly, until someone takes the spot, Newhouse is our starting LT. He has started 29 games in the last two years. He isn't spectacular by any means, but he is a fringe level starter on a 5th round rookie contract. Definitely do not cut him. Just don't need to re-sign him either.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
MMcKay16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
MMcKay16 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

That's what I meant. Honestly, until someone takes the spot, Newhouse is our starting LT. He has started 29 games in the last two years. He isn't spectacular by any means, but he is a fringe level starter on a 5th round rookie contract. Definitely do not cut him. Just don't need to re-sign him either.

Agree with you on that. I would bet that someone will pay him decently, at least enough that it doesn't make sense for us to even try.
boratt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch these two lineman and tell me which one is the better LT. It's a test too, because it's not an opinion. One is consistently effective and the other goes from b-slapping safeties to getting walked back by d-lineman. One drops into his pass sets and delivers consistent hard blows. The other has good feet in his pass sets and delivers no blow. There's a difference. Tell me what you think of Bakhtiari after watching him play.

He's had good coaching. He's game ready. He's a tackle, a left tackle. He's not a guard. He probably could, but he doesn't have to. He's a good LT.

The draft committee gave him a 2nd-3rd round grade and they're conservative. That was before he measured 1/2 an inch shorter than you like and weighed 5-10lbs less than you like. When they watched him play, they thought he was a high pick.

If we had a legit LT, I'd be all for guard. But we don't. I don't think you can take a solid player at a position you really need him at and move him to guard. He should get his shot at the title. His game says he deserves it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEwGbfY8rQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3skEelDk2E

sig courtesy of BrettFavre004. THANKS!!

Last edited by boratt on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
boratt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Sherrod tape, not Bulaga tape, but since Bulaga is a solid player, I'll compare those two.

He's a similar pass blocker to Bulaga coming out, and a superior run blocker, especially his point of attack blocking (both guys are poor 2nd level blockers.) Bakhtiari can play. I'd bet on it.

sig courtesy of BrettFavre004. THANKS!!
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-draft-pick-Bakhtiari-can-be-very-annoying/8f559f4d-0b06-4fa2-8e9a-cd047d109f6a

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: