Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

4th Round (109): David Bakhtiari, OL, Colorado
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gopackgonerd

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Anyone find it telling that the staff has talked about basically all the OT's on our team besides Datko, or am I trying to read something that's not there?

He'll be talked about in training camp.
He kinda reminds me of a poor mans Chad Clifton. I believe he will give some competition to Don Barclay for a roster spot. But I think he may end up being cut in favor of Don.. But will definitely get another chance with another team if not with us!
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopackgonerd wrote:
I like Bak. He's got long arms, and finishes blocks. He plays very well for his size. If he gets stronger, watch out for this guy. Like others said on this forum, he could be starting for us at RT when it's all said and done.

Yeah, I feel Bak is a year away from a body POV. But I do feel the kid has starting tackle ability. Might even be a damn good RT. Kid plays with a chip on his shoulder. Very young prospect though(21). Give him some time in an NFL weight program and I think ya might have something there. A little on the short side for me but there is very little that's wrong with Bak that you can't fix. No real weak spots in his game. Good prospect. Just needs a little time.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Anyone find it telling that the staff has talked about basically all the OT's on our team besides Datko, or am I trying to read something that's not there?

Had a long talk with a close friend of mine today about the Packers line moves and one of the things he said got me thinkin. He said he feels this staff is starting to get away from the finesse lineman. Not saying this is true. But if this is the case there is a good chance Datko will be an odd man out in all of this.

Datko is huge and moves well for his size. But plays with poor leverage and has zero pop in his hands. Needs to lean on ya for the drive skills to show and you can slip him because of it. Might not be good enough to be a starting LT in this league but has a style ya don't love at RT either. Bit of a poor mans Sherrod. Like Sherrod, tough kid but his style is finesse in every way.

They only makes so many of those big guys that move well though. With a year of strength training in and a better feel for those shoulder, Datko might make for a tough cut.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast wrote:
justo wrote:

Since Barclay and Van Roten both got called up before Datko, I've been thinking he's a goner. unless he has a major improvement in this off-season.

And OT seem crowded now... at most they keep 10 OL ...

For sure keepers (if healthy) are

Bulaga, Sitton, D-Smith, Lang, Barclay, Newhouse (6 spots)

Which leaves 4 spots... and you know they're going to try to keep Sherrod and Bak after the picks they invested. (that's 8 spots and at least 4 OTs)

They're also going to want a back-up Center (which MM did say Lang can play Center so maybe just maybe they already have that, but do they want Lang at Center full time in practice or will they want to keep another?)

And that leaves the 2nd OL draft pick, Datko, Van Roten and others competing for one or two spots... and the 2nd OL draft pick probably has an edge as he's the recent draft pick... and Van Roten beat out Datko last year for a spot... so he's probably ahead as well.

I would not read into that in bold too much. They new they could keep Datko on the PS. Everyone new Datko was a year or two away from a strength POV(often teams have a need when the pick from PS's) and the Packers had a much better feel for the shoulders than everyone else post camp. Just TT being a wise GM and keeping all he could for the future. Datko might not make this team. But it's not because he lacks talent!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing what we know now, Just imagine if we could have added a RT like Fluker in the draft Shocked

Still think he went VERY high for a RT. Same argument could be made for Fisher, Joekel, and Lane though.

Now that I think about it, what other year have the top four tackles all played right tackle their rookie year. Very odd draft.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
Knowing what we know now, Just imagine if we could have added a RT like Fluker in the draft Shocked

Still think he went VERY high for a RT. Same argument could be made for Fisher, Joekel, and Lane though.

Now that I think about it, what other year have the top four tackles all played right tackle their rookie year. Very odd draft.

Such a deep class that many drafted for need this year, for sure. Most draft classes have peaks and valleys. Not this year! I can see that thing both ways though. The grades were very close round to round. Why not draft for need in a class like that. Then again, why not sit back like TT and wait for the value to fall with others picking for need. Also why the premium positions went high!

But your right. Very odd draft this year.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:

No real weak spots in his game. Good prospect. Just needs a little time.

This is something I've noticed about him. When people talk about his game, it kind of glows.

Then you put him on the scale and measure him, and the questions pop. I'm very, very curious to see this guy's career unfold. I watch his college tape and I get a big smile cuz he's so flippin good in pass pro and in his run blocking. I see one weakness in his game and that's 2nd level blocking. Other than that, the only thing we can knock him for is not being 6'5" and 315 lbs. Just going off his tape, he looks like a 1st round pick to me. Reminds me ALOT of Bryan Bulaga coming out, just the steadiness and consistency.

sig courtesy of BrettFavre004. THANKS!!
justo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
justo wrote:

Had a long talk with a close friend of mine today about the Packers line moves and one of the things he said got me thinkin. He said he feels this staff is starting to get away from the finesse lineman. Not saying this is true. But if this is the case there is a good chance Datko will be an odd man out in all of this.

Datko is huge and moves well for his size. But plays with poor leverage and has zero pop in his hands. Needs to lean on ya for the drive skills to show and you can slip him because of it. Might not be good enough to be a starting LT in this league but has a style ya don't love at RT either. Bit of a poor mans Sherrod. Like Sherrod, tough kid but his style is finesse in every way.

They only makes so many of those big guys that move well though. With a year of strength training in and a better feel for those shoulder, Datko might make for a tough cut.
I could see that. Seems like all these moves/DP's basically follow that. Yeah, to be honest I just don't know what to think about Sherrod at this point. Very weird situation. I was never big into Datko, but I was hoping he would at least make the roster by year 2. If Sherrod comes back he's most likely the #2 LT. Not sure if there is room for two LT only guys that shouldn't (in theory) get playing time at all.
palmy50 wrote:
Beast wrote:
justo wrote:

Since Barclay and Van Roten both got called up before Datko, I've been thinking he's a goner. unless he has a major improvement in this off-season.

And OT seem crowded now... at most they keep 10 OL ...

For sure keepers (if healthy) are

Bulaga, Sitton, D-Smith, Lang, Barclay, Newhouse (6 spots)

Which leaves 4 spots... and you know they're going to try to keep Sherrod and Bak after the picks they invested. (that's 8 spots and at least 4 OTs)

They're also going to want a back-up Center (which MM did say Lang can play Center so maybe just maybe they already have that, but do they want Lang at Center full time in practice or will they want to keep another?)

And that leaves the 2nd OL draft pick, Datko, Van Roten and others competing for one or two spots... and the 2nd OL draft pick probably has an edge as he's the recent draft pick... and Van Roten beat out Datko last year for a spot... so he's probably ahead as well.

I would not read into that in bold too much. They new they could keep Datko on the PS. Everyone new Datko was a year or two away from a strength POV(often teams have a need when the pick from PS's) and the Packers had a much better feel for the shoulders than everyone else post camp. Just TT being a wise GM and keeping all he could for the future. Datko might not make this team. But it's not because he lacks talent!
Is there a feeling around the league that you can stash big guys for developmental guys on the PS easier than skill positions? I feel like the fact they need more time in the weight room paired with the fact they don't play special teams would lean it that way. Why take a guy from a PS that can't get playing time on SPT and was on the PS for the first place because he's a project that isn't ready yet, you know? I feel like it's different for positions that can play SPT. Am I off here?
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could look at it that way. LIS, most grab from practice squads in season to fill a specific need. In that, certain positions are in higher demand after injuries come into play.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Just think it's at some level a shame because I truly feel he could be a TJ Lang type guard with some development.

Beast wrote:
When MM said Lang can play Center in his post draft interview, I got excited, no offense to D-Smith, but I would love to see a great moving C like Lang is with two big/powerful run blockers like Sitton and Barclay on each side of him.

These are some things worth highlighting.

I totally agree that Barclay's natural position and upside is at the G positions. If he grades out well there I think our best bet would be exactly what Beast is saying. I'm not high on EDS personally, I don't like his upside as much as Lang. Pending Lang's ability, swinging him to C and Barclay to RG I would think would give us our best look at LT-RG. Still leaves RT wide open tho Laughing

Just makes you realize what a great selections Tretter and Bak were. Gives TT TONS of options along the line.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At what point does a T become too small? 6'4 and a quarter isn't that short. Obviously he isn't Jonathan Ogden. But it's not like they are putting 5'9 me over there.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Gopackgonerd

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
At what point does a T become too small? 6'4 and a quarter isn't that short. Obviously he isn't Jonathan Ogden. But it's not like they are putting 5'9 me over there.

I really don't know. Newhouse is 6'4 as well. If he can play, size shouldn't be a factor. He has long arms too. So there's upside.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tauscher was 6-3 when he played. How'd that work out for us?

I wouldn't invest too much time thinking about the height of a T but rather the agility, strength, and speed of a T. Size obviously is necessary, but again, that's not limited to players 6-4 and over...
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I view the 6'4 mark about the same way I do the 33" arm mark at tackle. Now I for one like my tackles a hair taller. But I did not flag him on height. A huge grade plus for him was the stage of development at age(21). Has started from day one since the Pats kid left. Plus tech grades there and knows how to use the length he does have.

LIS, my only real beef there is that he needs to fill out that frame. Kid looks like a damn TE in shorts. His style of play is not for everyone either. But that's a fit issue, not a final grade issue. Reason why that talent was available at slot though. Good tackle prospect IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: