Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 107th pick, the Titans select Brian Schwenke
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingTitan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be Velasco insurance. In case he doesn't perform the way they want him to, they can let him walk after this season and have his true replacement after.

Or

Schewnke just beats him outright.
Ockham

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESPN guy said he is the absolutely nastiest lineman he looked at this year. Dilfer said he was extremely smart as well. Smart and Nasty works for me.

stallyns wrote:
Cortland Finnegan signs with the Rams, the division just got classier.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
TheMonarch1110 wrote:
Is it going to be an open competition at center? McShay is saying praises for this guy.

Mayock loves him too.

But with Velasco, this pick makes no sense whatsoever.
Well, worst case scenario we can feel a lot more confident at guard and center if one of them goes down. Or they may just not view Velasco as the long-term answer (which I wouldn't quite understand).

Picking depth players this early(when we already have depth players at the position, on top of that), is so stupid, unless you're some Patriots-like team who is winning 12-13 games every year and all you need is depth.

Whatever, I guess.

What are you talking about. We're not going to find an immediate starter at any position in the 4th. All starters are filled so all we're going to get is depth players and possible future starters which Schwenke surely can be. Velasco might not be the long term answer.

I don't mean people who aren't going to be immediate starters. I mean people who aren't seeing the field unless someone gets hurt. Someone like Jesse Williams would get playing time, just for an example. We didn't even need o-line depth. It wasn't a need, it's not a guy who is going to play barring an injury..that isn't something you do in the 4th.

Just think, Amano is likely gone. Plus I think Jesse Williams possibly might have a serious injury problem bc no way he'd fall this far.
s_camp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
It could be Velasco insurance. In case he doesn't perform the way they want him to, they can let him walk after this season and have his true replacement after.

Or

I think people are overlooking this option. Why take this guy with Velasco on the roster? Because they think he's better than Velasco... ? Or they think he'll be better after a year of learning, just in time for Velasco to go elsewhere for a decent payday, then plug this guy in as a starter for fourth round money.

I'm puzzled by the lack of DL, but I assume they (the FO) just don't like the players available at this point in the draft, or maybe at all. I would like to see some DL added though at some point.
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this pick for a number of reasons.

1.He could come in from day one and compete against Velasco for the starting C job.
2. We'll also have insurance just incase Velasco walks after this year
3.He and Warmack can grow and compete together over their careers ala Munchak and Matthews.
4. You can make a case that he's the best C in this draft. Cowboys selected their C in the first, we got ours in the 4th. Amazing value.
5.Gives us some more depth at C/G
6.This should finally mean the end of the Amano era
OwNaGe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno why we selected him with Barrett on the board Confused

My Teams:
Football: Titans
College BBall: Kentucky
College FBall: Alabama
Baseball: Braves
RebelTitan24

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwNaGe wrote:

Barrett's Past is full of Injuries
Dionysus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are people griping about this pick? This is a very smart move on our part.

1. Velasco only signed a 1-year tender, meaning he could head for greener pastures after this season. We're keeping our interior O-line in tact with this pick.

2. The depth behind Velasco is very thin and questionable with Eugene Amano currently leading the way.

3. There were no outstanding flaws mentioned in this kid's game...nothing but praise. He's also the second OL rookie we drafted with very respectable accolades. He was an All-"something" in his conference.

Bottom line, the staff is thinking ahead. All the starting needs are already filled. From here on out we are drafting better depth players and possible future starters.

Last edited by Dionysus on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
KingTitan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

Or

I think people are overlooking this option. Why take this guy with Velasco on the roster? Because they think he's better than Velasco... ? Or they think he'll be better after a year of learning, just in time for Velasco to go elsewhere for a decent payday, then plug this guy in as a starter for fourth round money.

I'm puzzled by the lack of DL, but I assume they (the FO) just don't like the players available at this point in the draft, or maybe at all. I would like to see some DL added though at some point.

I'm not surprised with the DL. I felt after the 2nd it wasn't much of anything there. Especially at DL. Cornelius Washington is the only one that truly interest me. The players just aren't there that warrant high picks. Schwenke by far to me, out ranks most of the DL players still left on the board.
s_camp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
s_camp wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

Or

I'm not surprised with the DL. I felt after the 2nd it wasn't much of anything there. Especially at DL. Cornelius Washington is the only one that truly interest me. The players just aren't there that warrant high picks. Schwenke by far to me, out ranks most of the DL players still left on the board.

Right, I was trying to say I'm surprised there's no DL available that the FO likes. I get why they're not taking one, and support the decision. After all they're the pros at this. I'll trust their collective judgement on this one. Not sure when or where there will be useful DL available, I just feel like it's something this team could use.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelTitan24 wrote:
OwNaGe wrote:

Barrett's Past is full of Injuries

Exactly and he's terribly overrated. Hell I could probably be a good center with the rest of those guys by my side.
TitanTuff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished watching video of this guy and I really like what I see.

Quote:
Schwenke started at guard as a sophomore and junior before moving to center for his senior year, when he was named first-team All-Pac 12

So can play guard too Very Happy

Quote:
While perhaps not the most aesthetically-pleasing blocker, Schwenke shows good quickness, functional strength and understands leverage. He sinks his hips on contact, anchoring well despite being significantly lighter at 6-3, 307 pounds than many of his opponents

Who cares what he looks like? The kid is effective. When researching him, I keep reading about his "anchoring" ability. Dude is a great catch for the Titans. Our Offense is beginning to look ridicudonklous.

2014 Adopt-A-Titan Zach Mettenberger 7
lamont

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the pick. Munch and Bruce were on this guy from the Senior Bowl all the way up to them bringing him in for a visit. As far as the lack of drafting a DL, I think they will be adding someone after cuts in June or August.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
Iceman88

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanTuff wrote:
Just finished watching video of this guy and I really like what I see.

Quote:
Schwenke started at guard as a sophomore and junior before moving to center for his senior year, when he was named first-team All-Pac 12

So can play guard too Very Happy

Quote:
While perhaps not the most aesthetically-pleasing blocker, Schwenke shows good quickness, functional strength and understands leverage. He sinks his hips on contact, anchoring well despite being significantly lighter at 6-3, 307 pounds than many of his opponents

Who cares what he looks like? The kid is effective. When researching him, I keep reading about his "anchoring" ability. Dude is a great catch for the Titans. Our Offense is beginning to look ridicudonklous.

Mayock was talking about how when he watch his tape originally he was a little concerned because Schewnke would get pushed back too easily. But then he said Schwenke was able to easily re-anchor himself and Mayock was extremely impressed with that. He also said he was a better center than Fredrick.

Props to Kempes ^
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Schwenke is the type of player who could steal Velasco's job this season. Personally, I feel like we are overrating Velasco because we want to think he's good, when in reality I think he's replaceable.

Ockham wrote:
Yeah. We wouldn't want a power run blocker. We prefer the ole' let CJ get hit in the backfeild type run blocker. My bad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: