Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 101st pick, tWo select, Ace Sanders, WR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
corry wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
I assume he'll be penciled in as the primary return man?

What role with Robinson have?

3rd Down RB

Dont 3rd down backs have to be able to block?
I think he's talking more in terms of a pass catcher than a blocker.

We're going to be able to do a ton of things with him out of tha backfield. Remember all that stuff that Arkansas fans wanted us to do with Matt Jones (except the playing QB stuff), that's all on the table here.

I think if you look to Reggie Bush's time in New Orleans, you'll get a good idea of what his role will look like. At the very least, the playmakers on this offense are going to be fun to watch.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
corry wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:

3rd Down RB

We're going to be able to do a ton of things with him out of tha backfield. Remember all that stuff that Arkansas fans wanted us to do with Matt Jones (except the playing QB stuff), that's all on the table here.

I think if you look to Reggie Bush's time in New Orleans, you'll get a good idea of what his role will look like. At the very least, the playmakers on this offense are going to be fun to watch.

I understand but the typical thing that 3rd down backs must do is catch and block, much like MJD his rookie year. He played a ton of 3rd downs because he could do both

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
corry wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:

3rd Down RB

I hope so...and if we can get the sort of value out of Shoelace as Bush in NO, that's a value pick in a later round, obviously. But Bush was a RB through and through, though with a very specific set of speciality skills in that regard. Robinson ran the ball a ton, yes...but it's not like he spent his college career preparing for that specialized role as a 'utility playmaker' type.

And with Ace Sanders now already on the roster and a lot more polished in similar roles to what Robinson is likely to fill...i'm just not sure on this whole thing.

One or the other, i'd be really happy, but two 'gimmick' players in the mid-rounds? I get that Caldwell wanted to add 'speed' to our roster...but it seems we doubled up on speed at roughly the same sort of spot...vs adding 'speed' at LB or somewhere else.

I'm really curious how Gus is going to get both Robinson and Sanders enough touches in a game. I guess we'll see.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they're any more redundant than a:
Wes Welker + Julain Edelman
Danny Amendola + Julian Edelman
Reggie Bush + Shoelace (The Lions were going to draft him if we didn't)
Reggie Bush + Tayvon Austin (People were frothing at the mouth over this)
Tayvon Austin + Stedman Bailey
Percy Harvin + Jarius Wright
Mike Wallace + Antonio Brown

Good teams will find ways to get the ball in the hands of good players, even if they have similar roles. And I'm not even quite sure that their roles need to be similar, where you can only have one on the field at a time. You can have Ace doing the Percy Harvin WR stuff while Shoelace is doing stuff out of the backfield. Run two "gadget" routes, and force the defense to choose who they're going to sell out to stop, and flip the ball to the other. OR you do some read option stuff with the two of them 2-3 times a game. Now that would be exciting to see.

And I think us announcing Shoelace as a RB and Ace as a WR kinda aluded to that they're viewed differently by the organization.

- Best since day one -
Tugboat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
I don't think they're any more redundant than a:
Wes Welker + Julain Edelman
Danny Amendola + Julian Edelman
Reggie Bush + Shoelace (The Lions were going to draft him if we didn't)
Reggie Bush + Tayvon Austin (People were frothing at the mouth over this)
Tayvon Austin + Stedman Bailey
Percy Harvin + Jarius Wright
Mike Wallace + Antonio Brown

Good teams will find ways to get the ball in the hands of good players, even if they have similar roles. And I'm not even quite sure that their roles need to be similar, where you can only have one on the field at a time. You can have Ace doing the Percy Harvin WR stuff while Shoelace is doing stuff out of the backfield. Run two "gadget" routes, and force the defense to choose who they're going to sell out to stop, and flip the ball to the other. OR you do some read option stuff with the two of them 2-3 times a game. Now that would be exciting to see.

And I think us announcing Shoelace as a RB and Ace as a WR kinda aluded to that they're viewed differently by the organization.

I agree in part, and i hope it works out that way.

But i still see a bit of a problem in that regard. Edelman isn't just a 'Welker Type'. He's honestly among the most versatile players in the league. He lines up at DB at times! Let me know when Ace or Shoelace do that. And even given that...Edelman was a valuable player for the Pats, but outside of injuries...relatively limited. Also quite polished as an NFL receiver, relative to the picks we made.

The idea of a Tavon Austin+Stedman Bailey combo i really like for the Rams. I was impressed when they put that together...there may have been better WRs than Bailey on the board at the time...but the chemistry those two seemed to have as receivers playing off each other extremely well...that's something. Adding in what they already have...that's actually a really nice concept if it works, and Bradford did come out of that OU system after all...this might be his comfort zone. I don't see any overlap in roles between Austin/Bailey tbh. They're very different weapons, and both are fairly polished in their respective roles, and work well off each other.

I'm not gonna go through each of those combos, because with each, i still don't see any of the duos as similar to Ace+Shoelace. I mean...if one of them turns into a Percy Harvin or Mike Wallace, sure...that's great. But i don't really see it. Those were smallish WRs who brought a special quality to an offense...and they're both bigger than Ace and have years of experience and polish on Robinson.

I mean...Harvin and Wallace aren't 'gimmick players'. They're great WRs who also have utility as a 'gimmick guy'. Until Ace grows a bit or Robinson shows he has any legitimate polish as WR...i just don't see the comparison at all. That's mostly 1 WR plus a gimmick guy. And i'd love Robinson or Ace independent of each other...but both? Seems like overkill to me.

But maybe Gus is a lot more creative than i am and will figure it out. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Gil Brandt likes Denard Robinson as a potential cornerback.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
Tugboat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

not sure if srs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

not sure if srs.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/12/24/michigans-denard-robinson-could-be-cb/1789321/

Tugboat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Tugboat wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

not sure if srs.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/12/24/michigans-denard-robinson-could-be-cb/1789321/

Excuse me while i call that absolutely insane.

brb.

Ok i'm back. that's still insane. Confused

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant more that those players' skill sets fit specific roles on offense, yet those teams still find ways (or will/would) to get them both involved.

Maybe I have way too much faith in Jerry Sullivan (but looking at his résumé, it's hard not to, he seems to develop anyone with an ounce of real talent), but when I look at Ace's hands, his speed and shiftiness, I look and say "Oh my, Jerry is going to turn this kid into a perfect slot receiver." He just has the defining features of a Jerry Sullivan special.

If that happens, and Ace turns into a typical great slot receiver and returnman, and Shoelace is the primary gadget guy, do you like the picks then?

- Best since day one -
Tugboat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
I meant more that those players' skill sets fit specific roles on offense, yet those teams still find ways (or will/would) to get them both involved.

Maybe I have way too much faith in Jerry Sullivan (but looking at his résumé, it's hard not to, he seems to develop anyone with an ounce of real talent), but when I look at Ace's hands, his speed and shiftiness, I look and say "Oh my, Jerry is going to turn this kid into a perfect slot receiver." He just has the defining features of a Jerry Sullivan special.

If that happens, and Ace turns into a typical great slot receiver and returnman, and Shoelace is the primary gadget guy, do you like the picks then?

Yes. Absolutely.

If Sullivan can turn a very very tiny man into a slot WR threat that terrorizes our division...i will completely adore those two picks.

I'm just somewhat skeptical on that actually happening is all.

And i had a few guys who i think could potentially be more impactful as 'slot receivers' than Sanders, who were still on the board at the time. But you're right. Never underestimate the Sullivan effect. Razz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denard would be a horrible waste as a CB, he has never had to tackle ever except when he threw INTs. I think it would waste him agility/ability to make guys miss with the ball in his hands

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't suggesting it.

JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
I wasn't suggesting it.

i know, just saying its a dumb idea, not that it was your idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: