Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Odd man out at QB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who draws the short stick at QB?
Michael Vick
25%
 25%  [ 10 ]
Nick Foles
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Matt Barkley
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dennis Dixon
60%
 60%  [ 24 ]
We Keep 4 QBs
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 40

Author Message
BLick12


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25195
Location: South Jeezy fo sheezy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killdawabbit wrote:
BLick12 wrote:

Everything I've posted regarding Vick is under the assumption we'd be running some semblance of a read-option system, yes. I've already said that. I have however, never stated that this is what they are definitively going to do. That was my point, I'm not here claiming to know what the plan is, this is my ideal scenario and what I think they should do. Ya dig?


That's 100% groovy and all, but only makes your response to Phire even more assinine. What is your assumption based on? What makes it the "ideal scenario"? Chip also has a history of success with pocket passing QBs. Should we assume that is what he's going to use based on that alone (because there is literally no other reasoning for assuming the read option - hypothetically or otherwise).

Basically, there will be a competition. The winner will be the QB this season. Simple and not hard to understand at all.


I disagree.

My assumption is based on his recent history and his ability to act as an innovator at the college level. Also, there has clearly been a recent shift in the NFL in terms of offensive philosophy. We've seen it in the past when the spread first started coming in with guys like Steve Spurrier getting hired. It might be an assumption, but I don't think it is completely outlandish one.

And yes, I'm pleased that there will be a competition and agree that to some extent there will be one. But I have a hunch Chip Kelly sides with the guy with some added versatility.
_________________
johndeere1707 wrote:

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Nabbs4u


Moderator
Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 22527
Location: North Carolina Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the phone and to lazy to look it up. Does anyone know the pass ratio/run ration of Wilson, Kap, RGIII running that read option? I do know after watching the draft hearing something along the lines Russell Wilson led the league with a 45-55 pass ratio. Now grant it they pounded the rock with Skittles and had one of the best defenses in the NFL which all helps to achieve that and win games. I ask this. Can someone please tell me if Vick was placed in a similar scenario on the Eagles (not talking Sea) passing only 45% of the time, playing great defense while pounding the rock down teams throat. Would he have success? Yes or No? "IF" notice the word "IF" that is the type of offense Chip will run utilizing Vick (no one knows) why can't he be just as successful in a read type offense? We talked all year how Michelle and his daughter Dumb Down the offense to make it easier and less complicated for RGIII to operate. It's a known fact! Why can't the same happen with Vick? I would be shocked who ever our QB is that starts if we see more then a handful of 7 step drops throughout the year rather then 1/2 the passes per game. A lot of his TO and injuries came off those type of plays. Constant abuse behind a smitty line. "IF" indeed a up tempo offense is in the works you do realize Vick excelled in the 2 minute type hurry up offense, right? Why would he struggle now? I've said this from the jump that I don't care who our starter is in 2013 that my opinion will be based off what I see with my own two eyes the next 4 months worth of OTA's, mini, training and preseason gms. Instead of kicking someone out the doors with preconceived notions why not base his status on the team doing that instead of what transpired under Andy Reid. If he looks bad in the next four months you can bet your tail he will not be starting or even part of the Eagles. Handing the job to Foles or god forbid Barkley just because some of you despise the person/player is assinine and the complete opposite of competition! I tend to think many of you are just scared to death he might actually play well under Chip offense, then what? Shocked
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
AZ_Eaglesfan


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 5576
Location: Arizona
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
I'm on the phone and to lazy to look it up. Does anyone know the pass ratio/run ration of Wilson, Kap, RGIII running that read option? I do know after watching the draft hearing something along the lines Russell Wilson led the league with a 45-55 pass ratio. Now grant it they pounded the rock with Skittles and had one of the best defenses in the NFL which all helps to achieve that and win games. I ask this. Can someone please tell me if Vick was placed in a similar scenario on the Eagles (not talking Sea) passing only 45% of the time, playing great defense while pounding the rock down teams throat. Would he have success? Yes or No? "IF" notice the word "IF" that is the type of offense Chip will run utilizing Vick (no one knows) why can't he be just as successful in a read type offense? We talked all year how Michelle and his daughter Dumb Down the offense to make it easier and less complicated for RGIII to operate. It's a known fact! Why can't the same happen with Vick? I would be shocked who ever our QB is that starts if we see more then a handful of 7 step drops throughout the year rather then 1/2 the passes per game. A lot of his TO and injuries came off those type of plays. Constant abuse behind a smitty line. "IF" indeed a up tempo offense is in the works you do realize Vick excelled in the 2 minute type hurry up offense, right? Why would he struggle now? I've said this from the jump that I don't care who our starter is in 2013 that my opinion will be based off what I see with my own two eyes the next 4 months worth of OTA's, mini, training and preseason gms. Instead of kicking someone out the doors with preconceived notions why not base his status on the team doing that instead of what transpired under Andy Reid. If he looks bad in the next four months you can bet your tail he will not be starting or even part of the Eagles. Handing the job to Foles or god forbid Barkley just because some of you despise the person/player is assinine and the complete opposite of competition! I tend to think many of you are just scared to death he might actually play well under Chip offense, then what? Shocked


The main reason I don't want Vick is because he is just a stop gap QB. The longer he is on the field, the longer the rebuild will take. I do agree that if he wins the starting job that he should be put in a run oriented offense that utilizes the read option. But I don't think he will win the starting job, I think Foles will out play him. I just hate the idea of playing Vick this year and going into next year not knowing what we have in Foles or Barkley. I want to see them be successful.

Yes, I hate Vick on the Eagles, but only cause I think he isn't talented enough to win here. If he went elsewhere (Not in NFC East) I would cheer for him.
_________________


disaacs wrote:
The Eagles are going to implode. Book it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nabbs4u


Moderator
Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 22527
Location: North Carolina Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
I'm on the phone and to lazy to look it up. Does anyone know the pass ratio/run ration of Wilson, Kap, RGIII running that read option? I do know after watching the draft hearing something along the lines Russell Wilson led the league with a 45-55 pass ratio. Now grant it they pounded the rock with Skittles and had one of the best defenses in the NFL which all helps to achieve that and win games. I ask this. Can someone please tell me if Vick was placed in a similar scenario on the Eagles (not talking Sea) passing only 45% of the time, playing great defense while pounding the rock down teams throat. Would he have success? Yes or No? "IF" notice the word "IF" that is the type of offense Chip will run utilizing Vick (no one knows) why can't he be just as successful in a read type offense? We talked all year how Michelle and his daughter Dumb Down the offense to make it easier and less complicated for RGIII to operate. It's a known fact! Why can't the same happen with Vick? I would be shocked who ever our QB is that starts if we see more then a handful of 7 step drops throughout the year rather then 1/2 the passes per game. A lot of his TO and injuries came off those type of plays. Constant abuse behind a smitty line. "IF" indeed a up tempo offense is in the works you do realize Vick excelled in the 2 minute type hurry up offense, right? Why would he struggle now? I've said this from the jump that I don't care who our starter is in 2013 that my opinion will be based off what I see with my own two eyes the next 4 months worth of OTA's, mini, training and preseason gms. Instead of kicking someone out the doors with preconceived notions why not base his status on the team doing that instead of what transpired under Andy Reid. If he looks bad in the next four months you can bet your tail he will not be starting or even part of the Eagles. Handing the job to Foles or god forbid Barkley just because some of you despise the person/player is assinine and the complete opposite of competition! I tend to think many of you are just scared to death he might actually play well under Chip offense, then what? Shocked


The main reason I don't want Vick is because he is just a stop gap QB. The longer he is on the field, the longer the rebuild will take. I do agree that if he wins the starting job that he should be put in a run oriented offense that utilizes the read option. But I don't think he will win the starting job, I think Foles will out play him. I just hate the idea of playing Vick this year and going into next year not knowing what we have in Foles or Barkley. I want to see them be successful.

Yes, I hate Vick on the Eagles, but only cause I think he isn't talented enough to win here. If he went elsewhere (Not in NFC East) I would cheer for him.


I can respect that because that's exactly how I feel about Foles/Barkley until proven otherwise. If they prove to be the better QB I will support them unconditionally. However until that happens I refuse to slam the door on Vick just because. I am not concern with his age one bit. People are never concerned with Eli Brady or Romo age. I am only concerned with his ability or lack there of to run Chip Kelly's offense and whatever that entails? If he is able to do that better then the others do I will throw that same support behind him. That's all.
_________________


Last edited by Nabbs4u on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
killdawabbit


Joined: 10 Sep 2006
Posts: 5587
Location: Somewhere you're not.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:

I can respect that because that's exactly how I feel about Foles/Barkley until proven otherwise. If they prove to be the better QB I will support them unconditionally. However until that happens I refuse to slam the door on Vick just because. I am not concern with his age one bit. People are never concerned with Eli Brady or Romo age. I am only concerned with his ability or lack there of to run Chip Kelly's offense and whatever that Intel's? If he is able to do that better then the others do I will throw that same support behind him. That's all.


Entails is the word you are looking for, I believe.

And for the record, whatever Chip Kelly's offense is will most likely depend on who wins the QB job. If it's Vick or Dixon (yeah right, I know...) , then it may very well include a significant amount of the read option. If it's Foles or Barkley (less likely) then it may still include some read option, but obviously that will not be close to the primary focus.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nabbs4u


Moderator
Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 22527
Location: North Carolina Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killdawabbit wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:

I can respect that because that's exactly how I feel about Foles/Barkley until proven otherwise. If they prove to be the better QB I will support them unconditionally. However until that happens I refuse to slam the door on Vick just because. I am not concern with his age one bit. People are never concerned with Eli Brady or Romo age. I am only concerned with his ability or lack there of to run Chip Kelly's offense and whatever that Intel's? If he is able to do that better then the others do I will throw that same support behind him. That's all.


Entails is the word you are looking for, I believe.

And for the record, whatever Chip Kelly's offense is will most likely depend on who wins the QB job. If it's Vick or Dixon (yeah right, I know...) , then it may very well include a significant amount of the read option. If it's Foles or Barkley (less likely) then it may still include some read option, but obviously that will not be close to the primary focus.


Auto correct on my phone is a ..... But thanks.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
killdawabbit


Joined: 10 Sep 2006
Posts: 5587
Location: Somewhere you're not.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:

I can respect that because that's exactly how I feel about Foles/Barkley until proven otherwise. If they prove to be the better QB I will support them unconditionally. However until that happens I refuse to slam the door on Vick just because. I am not concern with his age one bit. People are never concerned with Eli Brady or Romo age. I am only concerned with his ability or lack there of to run Chip Kelly's offense and whatever that Intel's? If he is able to do that better then the others do I will throw that same support behind him. That's all.


Entails is the word you are looking for, I believe.

And for the record, whatever Chip Kelly's offense is will most likely depend on who wins the QB job. If it's Vick or Dixon (yeah right, I know...) , then it may very well include a significant amount of the read option. If it's Foles or Barkley (less likely) then it may still include some read option, but obviously that will not be close to the primary focus.


Auto correct on my phone is a ..... But thanks.


I completely understand. Heck, there are websites dedicated to the funny ones...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thebeyonder


Joined: 30 Dec 2012
Posts: 242
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
I'm on the phone and to lazy to look it up. Does anyone know the pass ratio/run ration of Wilson, Kap, RGIII running that read option? I do know after watching the draft hearing something along the lines Russell Wilson led the league with a 45-55 pass ratio. Now grant it they pounded the rock with Skittles and had one of the best defenses in the NFL which all helps to achieve that and win games. I ask this. Can someone please tell me if Vick was placed in a similar scenario on the Eagles (not talking Sea) passing only 45% of the time, playing great defense while pounding the rock down teams throat. Would he have success? Yes or No? "IF" notice the word "IF" that is the type of offense Chip will run utilizing Vick (no one knows) why can't he be just as successful in a read type offense? We talked all year how Michelle and his daughter Dumb Down the offense to make it easier and less complicated for RGIII to operate. It's a known fact! Why can't the same happen with Vick? I would be shocked who ever our QB is that starts if we see more then a handful of 7 step drops throughout the year rather then 1/2 the passes per game. A lot of his TO and injuries came off those type of plays. Constant abuse behind a smitty line. "IF" indeed a up tempo offense is in the works you do realize Vick excelled in the 2 minute type hurry up offense, right? Why would he struggle now? I've said this from the jump that I don't care who our starter is in 2013 that my opinion will be based off what I see with my own two eyes the next 4 months worth of OTA's, mini, training and preseason gms. Instead of kicking someone out the doors with preconceived notions why not base his status on the team doing that instead of what transpired under Andy Reid. If he looks bad in the next four months you can bet your tail he will not be starting or even part of the Eagles. Handing the job to Foles or god forbid Barkley just because some of you despise the person/player is assinine and the complete opposite of competition! I tend to think many of you are just scared to death he might actually play well under Chip offense, then what? Shocked


The effective running game and read option defense-freezing plays that typifiy RG3's offense perfectly fit Michael Vick's skill set. Contrary to what others think, I believe RG3's stats last year were boosted by both college scheme continuity and how well it fits his skill set. If this is Vick's last year, Kelly might as well design something to fit his skill set and see what he does with it.

For all that's been said about Vick's ability to read defenses, his accuracy has been above average since arriving in Philly. At his best Vick is a game-winner and a game-changer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
birdman0069


Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Posts: 6270
Location: Key West, FL
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebeyonder wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
I'm on the phone and to lazy to look it up. Does anyone know the pass ratio/run ration of Wilson, Kap, RGIII running that read option? I do know after watching the draft hearing something along the lines Russell Wilson led the league with a 45-55 pass ratio. Now grant it they pounded the rock with Skittles and had one of the best defenses in the NFL which all helps to achieve that and win games. I ask this. Can someone please tell me if Vick was placed in a similar scenario on the Eagles (not talking Sea) passing only 45% of the time, playing great defense while pounding the rock down teams throat. Would he have success? Yes or No? "IF" notice the word "IF" that is the type of offense Chip will run utilizing Vick (no one knows) why can't he be just as successful in a read type offense? We talked all year how Michelle and his daughter Dumb Down the offense to make it easier and less complicated for RGIII to operate. It's a known fact! Why can't the same happen with Vick? I would be shocked who ever our QB is that starts if we see more then a handful of 7 step drops throughout the year rather then 1/2 the passes per game. A lot of his TO and injuries came off those type of plays. Constant abuse behind a smitty line. "IF" indeed a up tempo offense is in the works you do realize Vick excelled in the 2 minute type hurry up offense, right? Why would he struggle now? I've said this from the jump that I don't care who our starter is in 2013 that my opinion will be based off what I see with my own two eyes the next 4 months worth of OTA's, mini, training and preseason gms. Instead of kicking someone out the doors with preconceived notions why not base his status on the team doing that instead of what transpired under Andy Reid. If he looks bad in the next four months you can bet your tail he will not be starting or even part of the Eagles. Handing the job to Foles or god forbid Barkley just because some of you despise the person/player is assinine and the complete opposite of competition! I tend to think many of you are just scared to death he might actually play well under Chip offense, then what? Shocked


The effective running game and read option defense-freezing plays that typifiy RG3's offense perfectly fit Michael Vick's skill set. Contrary to what others think, I believe RG3's stats last year were boosted by both college scheme continuity and how well his skill set fits into it. If this is Vick's last year, Kelly might as well design something to fit his skill set and see what he does with it.

At his best Vick is a game-winner and a game-changer.


True statement. Unfortunately the season is 16 games long.
_________________

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group