Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ireland, the good, the bad, and the fugly

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Deadeye


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 5949
Location: A Nearby Dolphin Encounter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Ireland, the good, the bad, and the fugly Reply with quote

The Good
We've done away with "prototypical size" requirements that BP brought into the regime. Dion Jordan, while very long, isn't particularly strong. And I suspect under BP we would not have pursued him because of it. Misi is much more powerfully built, and he represents what BP idealizes. Also, comparing our current CB duo (Jamar & Will) with our previous CB duo (Vontae & Sean) it looks as though we've sacrificed some size for speed and athleticism. Jamar is smaller and faster than Vontae. And Will is shorter and much more fluid in the hips than Sean. This is good.

The Bad
Missing out on Terron Armstead pizzed me off royally. As much movement as Ireland does during the draft, I'm not sure why he didn't move up for Terron. Then again, the Saints taking a LT was a shock given their defensive needs. I won't be surprised if the Saints 2013 3rd rounder turns out as good as the Saints 2010 3rd rounder. It's also unsettling that we missed out on some quality WRs during round 3. I'm not so sure about Dallas Thomas, our offense might have been better served getting Goodwin, Reed, or Bailey. Also, I hate the "we have a need so one player fills that need" approach. I think Lemonier should have been drafted instead of Thomas.

The Fugly
It's not Ireland per se, but Ross is blaming Sporano for not being able to get over the Harbaugh fiasco.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000164724/article/stephen-ross-dolphins-better-without-tony-sparano

The article has this quote:
Quote:
"This organization is functioning the best since the (Don) Shula days, (because) I picked the head coach with Jeff Ireland" Ross told WAXY-AM on Friday, via The Miami Herald.


Back to the draft. Ireland still has not demonstrated the ability to draft a skill position player who is worth a crap. I'll be ticked if we don't get a skill player of value in round 4. I'd like Patton, Ellington, or Barkly. Also, Okafor is still sitting there, and we need another pass rusher.
_________________
Earn more sessions by sleeving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fishfan4life


Joined: 15 Mar 2012
Posts: 1892
Location: santa rosa california
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't complain to much love the direction of the team but part of me wishes we wouldn't have missed out on the WR run in round 3 also Wheaton, Goodwin,bailey,Allen ,Jordan reed but I think Thomas is a respectable pick I had him ranked 70th
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3724
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me understand this....you compliment the CBs he drafted, but you say he can't draft skill positions worth a crap?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadeye


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 5949
Location: A Nearby Dolphin Encounter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
So let me understand this....you compliment the CBs he drafted, but you say he can't draft skill positions worth a crap?
I meant offensive skill players. Even though I didn't explicitly use that term, I was counting on the reader to deduce that meaning. My bad.
_________________
Earn more sessions by sleeving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dolphan9954


Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 7032
Location: Miami
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What skill position did the Dolphins really need early? Austin/Eifert would have been good just because they are great players. Otherwise it doesn't matter, because they would not play.
_________________


Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig


Go Canes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3724
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
So let me understand this....you compliment the CBs he drafted, but you say he can't draft skill positions worth a crap?
I meant offensive skill players. Even though I didn't explicitly use that term, I was counting on the reader to deduce that meaning. My bad.


Nice attempt at a passive insult...

What offensive player makers do they need?

With what they added in FA I'm glad they didn't address that area in the first 3 rounds.

Looks like you are searching for a reason to hate Ireland....Offensive play-makers are not needed in this draft early.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DavisIsland


Joined: 10 Jan 2012
Posts: 233
Location: Miami
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
What skill position did the Dolphins really need early? Austin/Eifert would have been good just because they are great players. Otherwise it doesn't matter, because they would not play.


Yeah, I feel the same. Didn't understand where he was going with that one. But so far, I think that its been a solid draft for Ireland and Philbin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadeye


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 5949
Location: A Nearby Dolphin Encounter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
What skill position did the Dolphins really need early? Austin/Eifert would have been good just because they are great players. Otherwise it doesn't matter, because they would not play.
We need TE and/or WR help. Is anyone still expecting Egnew to do anything? I'm not. And as nice as Wallace is, he's just one player. We still need more speed in the WR corp. What if Wallace gets injured? We're back to what we had last season.
_________________
Earn more sessions by sleeving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadeye


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 5949
Location: A Nearby Dolphin Encounter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dion Sims, finally a useful TE prospect. Given his size he's at least a solid red zone target. This is much better than Egnew.
_________________
Earn more sessions by sleeving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blagasse67


Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 11319
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
Dion Sims, finally a useful TE prospect. Given his size he's at least a solid red zone target. This is much better than Egnew.


Egnew 6'5 255

Sims 6'5 262

Those were height and weights posted after the season for both players.

Sims is a far better blocker. He was labeled as the best blocking TE in the draft. I think Sims fits the mold for a West Coast offense. A west coast offense always seems to use all around TEs. Guys who can block and catch.

As far as redzone threat, I don't know that you can say he is a better threat than Egnew.
_________________

UniversalAuthor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dolphan9954


Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 7032
Location: Miami
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
dolphan9954 wrote:
What skill position did the Dolphins really need early? Austin/Eifert would have been good just because they are great players. Otherwise it doesn't matter, because they would not play.
We need TE and/or WR help. Is anyone still expecting Egnew to do anything? I'm not. And as nice as Wallace is, he's just one player. We still need more speed in the WR corp. What if Wallace gets injured? We're back to what we had last season.


Any WR drafted would be at highest 4th on the depth chart. How often do teams use 4 WR? The Dolphins generally are 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB, Keller is the 4th WR basically.

Egnew could contribute absolutely.
_________________


Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig


Go Canes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dolphinemidget


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 3642
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told people on here this draft would not be offense geared we have to many holes on D sidr and with, Wallace, Hartline, Keller, Gibson Miller (ireland said he has high hopes on the kid) we would not see any real flash players on the oside, some oline help and a TE. I would say I was surprised we took a HB but I dont see Thomas being here come start of season of if he is 3rd on depth chart.

Any rate so far I am happy with our draft, Carp looks to be gone (big plus) and I think Martin will be our LT this season they have high hopes for him.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadeye


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 5949
Location: A Nearby Dolphin Encounter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphinemidget wrote:
I told people on here this draft would not be offense geared we have to many holes on D sidr and with, Wallace, Hartline, Keller, Gibson Miller (ireland said he has high hopes on the kid) we would not see any real flash players on the oside, some oline help and a TE. I would say I was surprised we took a HB but I dont see Thomas being here come start of season of if he is 3rd on depth chart.

Any rate so far I am happy with our draft, Carp looks to be gone (big plus) and I think Martin will be our LT this season they have high hopes for him.
Well you were right about this draft not being geared toward the offense. But even as it turned out, I feel like Dion Sims and Gillisle can contribute.

I'm hoping that Ireland actually found a couple of playmakers on defense. Their measurables look good. Our linebackers are now very fast relative to last season.
_________________
Earn more sessions by sleeving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blagasse67


Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 11319
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
Dolphinemidget wrote:
I told people on here this draft would not be offense geared we have to many holes on D sidr and with, Wallace, Hartline, Keller, Gibson Miller (ireland said he has high hopes on the kid) we would not see any real flash players on the oside, some oline help and a TE. I would say I was surprised we took a HB but I dont see Thomas being here come start of season of if he is 3rd on depth chart.

Any rate so far I am happy with our draft, Carp looks to be gone (big plus) and I think Martin will be our LT this season they have high hopes for him.
Well you were right about this draft not being geared toward the offense. But even as it turned out, I feel like Dion Sims and Gillisle can contribute.

I'm hoping that Ireland actually found a couple of playmakers on defense. Their measurables look good. Our linebackers are now very fast relative to last season.


Ellerbe, Wheeler, Misi, Spitler, Trusnik, Kaddu, Dion Jordan, and Jelani Jenkins.

We are deep at LB now. We have guys that can play the run, drop in coverage, and rush the passer. Wheeler, Kaddu, Jordan, and Trusnik are good blitzers and guys that can rush the passer. Ellerbe, Spitler, and Misi can really set the edge. Jordan, Ellerber, Wheeler, and Jenkins are all solid in coverage.

I think Ireland addressed something in this draft you didn't mention Special teams. Jelani Jenkins, Don Jones, and Will Davis are guys that will play special teams and help our special teams coverage.
_________________

UniversalAuthor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group