Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 16th selection Buffalo selects, EJ Manuel, QB, FSU
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickChowaniec

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: With the 16th selection Buffalo selects, EJ Manuel, QB, FSU Reply with quote

After a trade down from 8 to 16 (acquiring an extra 2nd and 7th, and swapping 3rds with the Rams) Buffalo selects their next franchise E.J. Manuel, QB, of Florida State.

EJ Manuel

NFL.com Draft Profile

Brian Billick & Charles Davis on the Bills selection

Highlights

FFMD: Bills War Room
jb_gobills

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick!

I didn't expect Manuel, but I'm excited.
  • Buffalo traded down, picking up a much needed two extra picks including a second round pick
  • They obviously got the #1 QB on their board
  • They helped the Rams steal a player from the Jets

NickChowaniec

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just excited it was a QB not named Nassib or Barkley. I was honestly hoping for Geno Smith but after his green room meltdown and listening to EJ Manuel talk to various media people I am much more excited about Manuel.

Manuel definitely fits the mold of the new more mobile QBs while still being a big armed, pass first QB. He has the highest upside of the QBs as well. I'm beginning to love the pick. There wasn't anyone in the first that I really wanted at that point other than Geno Smith anyways. Now with Geno Smith being a Jet, I hate him.

I think the best part about the pick was moving down to get an extra couple picks.

FFMD: Bills War Room
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the kid, love the height, weight and attitude. Can't wait to see what he could turn into, I'm drunk on the kool-aid and I think we FINALLY have our franchse QB with this kid (who is only two years older then me Shocked ). He is so humble and such a family man, perfect guy for the face of the franchise.

marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His parents did an amazing job. He answers every question with yes sir and no sir. Easy to see why Bills fell in love with him. He is a true professional.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big time nope fan here and someone who has seen every snap EJ took at FSU. As you can probably tell this guy has all the tools you could want in a QB physically. He's got great size, deceptive speed(he can move well which we all know but few people know he can outright run away from everyone), great arm strength, and most of all he is a wonderful human being. In the last year he has faced alot of strife he did not reveal till late last season his mother had been battling breast cancer which she has thankfully beaten.

Now on to the negatives of EJ Manuel. He's got that great speed and size but the boy sure doesn't know how to use it. When the play breaks down EJ does not scramble like you would like to do, instead he does has become a signature move for him at FSU he turns around and runs backwards while trying to do a spin move which almost always turns into a 9-10 yard loss everytime and lost FSU games a couple times. His other big negative is he can't progress through his reads for the life of him. Throughout the past two seasons at FSU if you went to any games you could hear many times a game the collective tells from the crowd of "THROW THE DAMN BALL EJ!!!!" While receivers streaked down the field wide open that he just wouldn't see. Then there's the subject of his accuracy, it's inconsistent to say the least. He will make throws that will make your jaw drop in amazement but then he will make three or four more that will have your head in your hands.
EJ is a great leader with all the potential in the world who never seemed to put it all together upstairs at FSU in his years here.
Now could he start puttin it all together in the NFL? Absolutely and I hope so.

Just dropping in to give you all a peek at what a big EJ fan saw from him in college.

Props to Eggy
Adopt-a-Buc
Josh Freeman
jb_gobills

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Seminolebuc.
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb_gobills wrote:
Thanks for the info Seminolebuc.
Seconded. I hope that Marrone and Hackett can develop him a bit and help solve some of those issues. It obviously won't be a quick progress but if he does start I'm sure that we would install a lot of quick reads and short passes.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
DKTurtle51

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the trade. Got an extra 2nd and 7th while keeping Austin away from the Jets. Glad we got our pick of the QBs. Hopefully he works out, I just happen to think he is a bad QB prospect.

^^^NickChowaniec^^^
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:
His parents did an amazing job. He answers every question with yes sir and no sir. Easy to see why Bills fell in love with him. He is a true professional.

I'm not a fan of the pick still, but the kid is such a smart, humble, well mannered guy that I really want him to do well here.

I mean he WANTS to be here, when was the last time we had any pick we made that looked forward (I mean really not just mugging for the camera) wanted to be here? That seriously cannot be understated.

Manuel worked harder than anybody else at FSU and I hope he can become the QB he has the potential to be for us. I'm rooting for him hard to be our franchise guy.

That said, we need to feed Kolb/Jackson to the wolves this season and let Manuel grow and develop until he's ready. If we rush him I don't think it'll end well.

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the LBF alluded to, Manuel needs to sit this season unless he absolutely blows away this staff and is head and shoulders over Kolb/Jackson (which i doubt).

I love this offense we are building as well and the key piece is obviously Manuel. We can't rush him, no matter what the fans or media say we should only play him this season near the end of the year if we are out of the playoff hunt.

Manuel, Spiller, SJ13, Woods, Graham, Chandler and then our o-line. Makes me gitty Laughing
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
Like the LBF alluded to, Manuel needs to sit this season unless he absolutely blows away this staff and is head and shoulders over Kolb/Jackson (which i doubt).

I love this offense we are building as well and the key piece is obviously Manuel. We can't rush him, no matter what the fans or media say we should only play him this season near the end of the year if we are out of the playoff hunt.

Manuel, Spiller, SJ13, Woods, Graham, Chandler and then our o-line. Makes me gitty Laughing

Yeah we definitely cannot Sanchez him. Laughing If he's not ready he's not ready and that's OKAY. We've got two guys who can carry the load until he is.

A lot of fans (I'm pretty sure none of us though. Very Happy ) will want him on the field day one, but I'm willing to be patient to get the player he has the potential to be out of him.

DKTurtle51

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am anxious to see what Manuel can do, but I hope we sit him for a year. He is very slow getting through progressions. He doesn't scan the whole field. His second read is often to run. I don't think he is anywhere near ready.

That said, his advantage is mobility. I keep hearing people say that defenses will figure out the read option. Well how? To stop the read option you have to play very disciplined, gap control defense. You want to stay in zone so guys can keep their eyes on the run. Basically, you have to simplify your scheme and slow your pass rush. If a read option QB is good enough to pick apart a simplified defense you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If Manuel can pick apart simple defenses better than Kolb can pick apart complicated ones, he may have the edge. Based on where Manuel is at this point I don't think that will be the case, but I'm just saying.

^^^NickChowaniec^^^
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. Presser.

Great kid. Love the way he carries himself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: