Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Grades Thread Ivory + day 3 picks added
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetfuel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilahchris wrote:
Dee Millinier pick as a nice pick but after that I believe the draft was a disaster.

With Santonio Holmes coming off foot surgery,
Stephen Hill still raw and probably will not be much of a factor
Jeremy Kerley decent slot receiver
No substantial upgrade at tight end.

I wonder what the pass offense will be like in 2013.

You guys give this draft a high grade yet there are major holes on the offense that was not even addressed in this draft.

Even considering that Geno Starts this season at all he will have to rely on a sub par receiving corp and no big play tight end. I predict that Jets will rank in the bottom five in offense next year.

This Draft = D
for the simple reason they passed on all of the wide receiver. tight end and safety talent that was out there in the draft to draft a bunch of mid round offensive lineman that might not pan out on the NFL level.

Infuriating to say the least!

I gave the jets a C but I think you need to understand that there was no good WR, TE, S in this draft. This was a very poor draft for these positions. This is why the OL was drafted so high. I think this is the lowest skill position draft I have seen in my life. I have watched about 25 drafts too.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilahchris wrote:
Dee Millinier pick as a nice pick but after that I believe the draft was a disaster.

You guys give this draft a high grade yet there are major holes on the offense that was not even addressed in this draft.

Even considering that Geno Starts this season at all he will have to rely on a sub par receiving corp and no big play tight end. I predict that Jets will rank in the bottom five in offense next year.

This Draft = D
for the simple reason they passed on all of the wide receiver. tight end and safety talent that was out there in the draft to draft a bunch of mid round offensive lineman that might not pan out on the NFL level.

COMPLETELY disagree. I thought Dee Milliner was our worst pick. Just makes no sense trading Revis so that we can just draft his replacement who wont be anywhere near as good. We essentially traded Revis for Dee and a conditional 4th round pick. That was a horrible move.

Sheldon Richardson was also a bad pick even if we had him #2 or 3 on our board. Hes just a bad fit and we seriously have no need for another down lineman.

After those two picks we had an excellent draft. We took a Qb who could ahve gone as high as #2 overall, fall into our laps at #39. Then we drafted offensive lineman so that we he steps into a stable line. Every pick has upside.

The passing game is going to be a huge rebuilding process and we might have just one piece thats going to be here for a while in Kerley, especially if Hill makes no progress. However, we are going to be very tough at the point of attack on both sides of the ball and we should be able to run it well. Were not going to win many games so lets not get ahead of ourselves but we are going to be in all them and might be able to steal one or two. THis is going to take some time but we might just be on the right track for once. I really hope Geno works out.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I'm still trying to understand the Richardson pick. He is a good player, but I don't see much that he can do for us. He is probably to small to play NT in the 3-4, so that would make him a back up DE in that formation. I hear we are suppose to play a little more 4-3, so this just mean we used a 1st pick on a rotational player. I would have went for someone who is going to be on the field more.

I really need to hear some positive looks on the pick so I can feel better about it. I hope he becomes a beast. I think Davis might be the only good LB who would do good in the 4-3 on the roster.

Quote:
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
kilahchris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
kilahchris wrote:

This Draft = D

COMPLETELY disagree. I thought Dee Milliner was our worst pick. Just makes no sense trading Revis so that we can just draft his replacement who wont be anywhere near as good. We essentially traded Revis for Dee and a conditional 4th round pick. That was a horrible move.

Sheldon Richardson was also a bad pick even if we had him #2 or 3 on our board. Hes just a bad fit and we seriously have no need for another down lineman.

After those two picks we had an excellent draft. We took a Qb who could ahve gone as high as #2 overall, fall into our laps at #39. Then we drafted offensive lineman so that we he steps into a stable line. Every pick has upside.

The passing game is going to be a huge rebuilding process and we might have just one piece thats going to be here for a while in Kerley, especially if Hill makes no progress. However, we are going to be very tough at the point of attack on both sides of the ball and we should be able to run it well. Were not going to win many games so lets not get ahead of ourselves but we are going to be in all them and might be able to steal one or two. THis is going to take some time but we might just be on the right track for once. I really hope Geno works out.

You do know Kyle Wilson sucks. He not cut out to be a 2nd CB. He is a nickel back at best. Drafting Milinier atleast is at this point and immediate upgrade at that position. You cannot compare him to Revis as Revis is a once in a generation type of Player. Also Millinier was the best player available at that spot he was chosen.

Then jets went for Richardson which is an overload on the defensive line.
But not a terrible pick

Then they go for Geno smith. Fair enough

Then they went for Winters a guard - risky but Ok it feels a need.
Then they trade there 4th for a injury prone runningback. This is when the draft starts to get from fair to worse.

Then they go for another lineman who struggled at the senior bowl.

Then they draft another defensive lineman who will probably not make the team and does not really fit our defensive scheme.

Then finally to end the disaster they draft a full back which we do not reallly need. The draft sucks..... period

They Jets have drafted 6 defensive linemen in the past 3 years. And our pass rush still sucks!

Quinton Patton, Keenan Allen, stedman Bailey all went right by us. No attempt at even taking a tight end or filling a need at safety.

By in large a the worse draft I have seen since in a long time for the NY Jets.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
kilahchris wrote:

This Draft = D

I don't hate that move at all. Do I love having the best CB in the league on my team sure but I'd rather win then get to brag about something so trivial. Yes looking at it like that it looks like we didn't get fair value but you're missing the big picture. Sure I'd love to keep my future HOF CB but there are no good "football reasons" to do so other than to keep a few Revis fans happy and sell a few extra tickets. With all that extra cap saved when we go out and sign a good WR, TE, and/or pass rusher next year are you going to count that towards the trade? Cause with the cap saved it certainly made it possible to sign those guys. The trade is so much bigger than Revis for Milliner and a 3rd.

Revis will be on the wrong side of 30 making 16M a year if we kept him by the time we are contenders so really not going to lose sleep over losing him. We will be a better team for it in the long run.

Draft grades:
Milliner (B+) - Not the biggest need but still a need. He was BPA and we took him. I think we'd all be crying mid season when Wilson is getting burned on the outside. Can't give them an A cause it wasn't a huge need but with the way the draft fell I really think we did the right thing.

Richardson (B) - Again not a huge need but BPA. I had a feeling we were moving to a more 4-3 base D and Richardson can be a force at DT and even has the quickness to play 4-3 DE. QB's have the most trouble when guys are in their face not coming around the edge. I for one can't wait to see a line of Cope, Ellis, Wilk, Richardson pushing the O-line back into the QB's face.

Smith (A) - It really has to be an A. The guy was rated as a #1 QB (even if it was in a weak draft. Has everything you could ask for from a measurables standpoint and we didn't have to use a first to land him. QB is the most important position and we hopefully just filled it for the next decade.

Winters (A) - Needed a big strong OG and we got one. Got a good guard and didn't waste a 1st on him. Can't knock that.

Ivory (B) - Solid RB but nothing special. Has some injury history but if healthy will be a nice 3 down RB.

Aboushi (B+) - Needed O-Line depth and we got some. He's versatile enough to play OG or OT. Could be our new version of Rob Turner but hopefully better. Very solid pick to groom. Hopefully better than Ducasse.

Campbell (C) - Wasn't a fan of the pick but as I said really have no O-linemen signed long term outside of LT and C. He's got crazy potential maybe even more so than Aboushi. He got a lower grade cause he's such a project.

Bohannon (A+) - Filled a huge need (no more Hilliard) with a guy who must be accounted for in the backfield. Can't just ignore him as he has solid hands. The more guys on the field you need to worry about the better.

Overall (B+) - Filled a few needs (obviously couldn't fill them all). Got potentially the 3 best players at their positions so it's got a chance to be a special draft. We built from the inside out like you're supposed to and not to mention we could have a potential star QB. Lots to be excited about in Jets camp.

QB - Improved greatly from last year whether Smith or Garrard starts.
RB - Improved from last year
FB - Could def be an upgrade but didn't get worse.
O-line - Should hopefully better but probably didn't get worse
WR - Didn't get worse and with Holmes and another year for Hill should be better
TE - Downgraded a bit with the loss of Keller.

D-Line - Adding another stud to an already good group just makes us better
LB's - No more Thomas/Scott and less of Pace means we definitely got better. Still needs to improve even more.
CB's - Really we downgraded I guess but upgraded since Revis really didn't play much last year.
S - Downgraded there for sure. Got the lesser Landry and lost a solid safety in Bell (even though he was no prize). Allen looks like a player so I hope he can step up.

So we upgraded in more areas than we downgraded in.

2014 needs in no order - OLB, TE, WR, S, RB (Ivory is good but could use that game changer if Goodson doesn't work out) MLB (I think Harris will be gone and Davis stays outside in the 4-3). Not terrible since we have a ton of picks and cap space.

Props to Mack on the sig
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilahchris wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
kilahchris wrote:

This Draft = D

You do know Kyle Wilson sucks. He not cut out to be a 2nd CB. He is a nickel back at best. Drafting Milinier atleast is at this point and immediate upgrade at that position. You cannot compare him to Revis as Revis is a once in a generation type of Player. Also Millinier was the best player available at that spot he was chosen.

But not a terrible pick

Then they trade there 4th for a injury prone runningback. This is when the draft starts to get from fair to worse.

Then they draft another defensive lineman who will probably not make the team and does not really fit our defensive scheme.

Then finally to end the disaster they draft a full back which we do not reallly need. The draft sucks..... period

They Jets have drafted 6 defensive linemen in the past 3 years. And our pass rush still sucks!

Quinton Patton, Keenan Allen, stedman Bailey all went right by us. No attempt at even taking a tight end or filling a need at safety.

I disagree on majority of ur statement:

#1- Wilson is more than servicable #2 cb... Jets had milliner #3 on their board so unless Cooper or Austin fell to them at #9 they would've taken milliner (at #13 if ausin/Cooper fell)... The browns made the.mistake of drafting mingo over milliner (IMO). we jets fans didnt wanna see a CB b/c of the revis trade butwas GENIUS really... If the jets didnt trade revis they would've just taken Sheldon Richardson at #9... milliner povides a ton of stability at CB (b4 the revis trade our 3 cb's are FA's in 2015.)

#2 There is no such thing as "to much line depth"... As wel as there was noone left to.take... you rather warmack? I doubt he plays much better than Winters does. Richardson can be a beast and 3 dline men is NOT overkill... The giants won 2 superbowls on the back of their deep dline... That dline got deep b/c the giants consistantly draft dlinemen... Richardson was by far the beat player left on the board

#3 How is Winters in the 3rd "risky?" He is prob one of the safeat picks... He's a nasty 4-yr starter that excels at run blocking and pass-blocks better than ypu.d expect... Also he can zone block, something a lot of our linemen havent done b4.

#4 We really DO meed a fb. Lex Hilliard sucks and MM likes to use H-backs so expect T-BO to play some TE for us as well.... Also its the 7th round and he can be a starter... How can ypu complain about getting a starter in the 7th? No oone available there would start or necessarily.make the team

My main issue is that the jets didnt draft a safety in the 6th when Rambo fell to them... They also passed on Swope in the 5th... I like aboushi tho... I just didnt get taking.Campbell over Rambo there

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superbowlbound wrote:
kilahchris wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
kilahchris wrote:

This Draft = D

But not a terrible pick

I disagree on majority of ur statement:

#1- Wilson is more than servicable #2 cb... Jets had milliner #3 on their board so unless Cooper or Austin fell to them at #9 they would've taken milliner (at #13 if ausin/Cooper fell)... The browns made the.mistake of drafting mingo over milliner (IMO). we jets fans didnt wanna see a CB b/c of the revis trade butwas GENIUS really... If the jets didnt trade revis they would've just taken Sheldon Richardson at #9... milliner povides a ton of stability at CB (b4 the revis trade our 3 cb's are FA's in 2015.)

#2 There is no such thing as "to much line depth"... As wel as there was noone left to.take... you rather warmack? I doubt he plays much better than Winters does. Richardson can be a beast and 3 dline men is NOT overkill... The giants won 2 superbowls on the back of their deep dline... That dline got deep b/c the giants consistantly draft dlinemen... Richardson was by far the beat player left on the board

#3 How is Winters in the 3rd "risky?" He is prob one of the safeat picks... He's a nasty 4-yr starter that excels at run blocking and pass-blocks better than ypu.d expect... Also he can zone block, something a lot of our linemen havent done b4.

#4 We really DO meed a fb. Lex Hilliard sucks and MM likes to use H-backs so expect T-BO to play some TE for us as well.... Also its the 7th round and he can be a starter... How can ypu complain about getting a starter in the 7th? No oone available there would start or necessarily.make the team

My main issue is that the jets didnt draft a safety in the 6th when Rambo fell to them... They also passed on Swope in the 5th... I like aboushi tho... I just didnt get taking.Campbell over Rambo there

No I would not have prefered Warmack over Millinier.

But are you honestly comparing Winters to Warmack?
The biggest reason for the sucess of Trent Richardson and Eddie Lacy has been Warmack blowing holes for those guys to feast on yardage. There is no comparison of Chance Warmack who faces the toughest Defensive tackles in all of College Football in the SEC then Winters who played at Kent State.
Warmack is in the probowl in a 3 years tops I can put money on that one. He was actually the safest first round selection of any team. Can't miss prospect. It says alot about him that he as an offensive guard was chosen so early.

Do I think warmack is a reach at #9? slightly.
But that is not my issue with the Jets draft. My issue is the total disregard for the needs we have at the skilled positions. Particularly WR and TE. The 5th and 6th Rounds picks were wasted picks in my opinion.

How do we expect Mark Sanchez or even Geno Smith to develop or play at a optimal level when our receivers cannot get open and tight end cannot get open to make plays.

Do not get me wrong I love Winters potential but he is risky coming from Kent state. (Small school lack of top competition)
MoLewis57

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
lol I'm still trying to understand the Richardson pick. He is a good player, but I don't see much that he can do for us. He is probably to small to play NT in the 3-4, so that would make him a back up DE in that formation. I hear we are suppose to play a little more 4-3, so this just mean we used a 1st pick on a rotational player. I would have went for someone who is going to be on the field more.

I really need to hear some positive looks on the pick so I can feel better about it. I hope he becomes a beast. I think Davis might be the only good LB who would do good in the 4-3 on the roster.

Call me crazy but I hope we play a ton of confusing a$$ 3-3-5 looks. Its the only thing thatmake sense to me.

Revis was the best at his spot but he cost too .much to keep if we do this....

Cro and mill on outsides Dawan wilson and Allen playin all around the middle and lbs playing the flat. Davis cover in the middle mostly but can line up anywhere and is fast enouugh too start the play from any backer spot

Allen plays the same roll he did in college roam the middle and make plays

Dawan is here to grom Bush to the the umbrella safety over the top

Pace and Harris slow arses play only coverage in the flat Pace might not make the team or could be good for one more year

Barnes can play one lb spot on passing downs and come almost everytime

Wilk Q and the Beard as our down pasrushers? Who you gunna block????

PASS ON THAT and See What Happens Can anybody say turnovers? Rex got this (I hope)
rampantjet

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that we know that Coples is being moved to OLB does that change you guys grades on the Richardson pick?

As it stands these are my grades.

Dee Milliner: GRADE B+ To be honest right off the bat i hated this pick. I wanted offense and or a pass rusher. But once i opened my eyes i realized there was really no one of that description avalible at 9. The way the board fell to us really limited our choices. Basically the pick had to come down to Milliner or Warmack, both the best players at their position, but CB is so much more of a valuable position. Not a big enough need to be an A but very good value and an instant upgrade at 2 positions as he takes the #2 spot and Wilson is an upgrade moving back to nickle.

Sheldon Richardson: Grade B I love this kid. But the pick didn't make a ton of sense to me right off the bat. This kid slices through the line and has rare quickness and get off for a big man. He is as fluid an athlete as you are gonna find at his size. Now that i know that Coples will be sliding to OLB i love this pick and am tempted to change my grade to B+ or A-.
Once again I wanted offense but who was really there??? Tyler Eifert??? no thanks, good player but not really top 15 special.

Geno Smith: Grade A+ Really don't feel like I have to say much about this pick. Kid is in my opinion a top flight prospect, and the #1 QB in the draft.... and we got him at pick 39. It was at our greatest position of need.... actually it has been our greatest position of need for most of my lifetime, it was a pick we were lucky to have the opportunity to take, and it had to be made.

Brian Winters: Grade B+ Kid is a big angry dude, he isn't Warmack powerful but I think value wise i would rather have this kid for a 3rd than Warmack at #9, and I am a big Warmack fan. He will become a fixture on our line and be an instant upgrade over Slausen especially in the run game.

Chris Ivory: Grade A- This kid is everything Shonn Greene should have been for us. He is a powerhouse who has speed, hits the hole as fast as possible, and doesn't stiff arm he punches faces lol. I think he is a special back and better than anyone we could have gotten in the 4th round. The only reason this isn't an A+ is due to his injury history, no real serious injuries but many small nagging ones. My real hope is that once he is thrust into a full time role it will allow his body to get more used to taking hits. Also apparently his real nagging injuries were to his hammy, I read that since then he has become quite the yoga enthusiast and is now much much more flexable and hasn't had any hammy problems since.

Oday Aboushi: Grade B- Here is where i would have rather we went with a weapon. There were still some decent recievers on the board that could have stood a shot of making the squad. On the other hand this kid is big and also has a mean streak, plus we were very thin at tackle. Having a quality back up is definatley nice, and it isn't like Howard is a sure fire superstar after one decent season.

Campbell: Grade D+ This is the one pick that blew my mind. Taking a DT to convert to an OG is something you do in the 7th round or more likely as an UDFA. Plus we already took an OG and apparently they like Schladderaff(or however you spell it lol) not really needed here, especially with Rambo, and Washington still on the board.

Bohanon: Grade A Love this pick. I honestly see us playing formations with an H back quite a bit. This kid has good hands and actually moves very smoothly for a big powerful FB. Also if you want to see this kids blocking potential just go to youtube and look at videos of the kid savaging the weight room. I know thats not a direct correlation, but I'm sorry if I want one guy on the team just THROWING around hundreds of pounds in the weight room it is my no neck blocking FB. I want LBers to think twice about hitting that hole. Now they have 2 reasons Ivory and
T-Bo...... we really need a new nickname for the kid

I really don't see how anyone could be that mad about this draft. We had too many holes to fill in one draft unless we were able to trade back a bunch, but teams were getting shafted on trade back value so i was fine staying where we were. We actually filled more spots than it seemed though.

Like i said earlier Milliner filled our #2 safety spot and our Nickel spot with Wilson moving over
It seems that Richardson is filling a DE spot which is allowing Coples to fill an OLB spot(which is what i think Rex wanted him to do all along).
Geno could potentially be filling in our QB spot for years to come, but that remains to be seen as QB's are never a sure thing, I have hope in this case though.... more than I did when Sanchez was drafted(that made me mad)
Winters is filling a big need at OG
Ivory is stepping right into our #1 RB spot which was pretty vacant.
Bohanon is probably going to beat out Hilliard, which shouldn't be hard
The other 2 are probably going to be quality back ups

I also feel better about not drafting a WR in the later rounds due to the pick up of Zack Rogers, I like the kid more than I have liked an UDFA pick up in quite a while.

To those of you that wanted more Offense in the first round please explain to me who you would have taken in those spots that wouldn't have been a huge reach?
Davey

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's typical of fans to be dramatic like this, but I really like the Richardson pick could go one of two ways... he could end up being an incredible, versatile defender along the defensive line that plays multiple positions and makes a name for himself early on, or I feel like he won't amount to much at all. A decent DeVito replacement but not too much else. I'ver got my fingers crossed for the former, and everything I've heard about him thus far to me has been really positive, but we'll see.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: