Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Grades Thread Ivory + day 3 picks added
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ganggreen1102

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Draft Grades Thread Ivory + day 3 picks added Reply with quote

This is a mini separate thread from the discussion thread to post your personal grades on each pick. I'll be updating mine later after round 7 is over.

1: Dee Milliner CB Alabama B+
-I would have liked to address a more needy position like pass rusher or Wide Reciever or safety but Rex likes having the CB position stacked and there werent many better players available. It's a solid pick.

1: Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri B-
-Nobody saw this coming. However, if there was a year to switch schemes, this would be the best year to do it. Richardson could play DT with Mo. I'm still pissed that they didnt address any of their major needs.

2: Geno Smith QB West Virginia A
-I figured that we'd draft a QB sometime early and there is nobody who would have better fit this spot at QB. Smith would bring someone on the offense that scares the defense and could be a playmaker.

3: Brian Winters OG Kent State B
-I love how we are almost avoiding drafting weapons. Geno has nobody to throw to on offense, but at least we got a guy who can come in and start right away at OG.

4: Ivory A

5: Aboushi B+

6: Campbell B

7: Bohanon A+

Last edited by ganggreen1102 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
green24

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we were planning on posting this like we did last year, but I guess this works as well.

9. Dee Milliner - B+
13. Sheldon Richardson - B
39. Geno Smith - A+
72. Brian Winters - A-
106. Chris Ivory - A
141. Oday Aboushi - B+
178. William Campbell - B+
215. Tommy Bohanon - A+++++++

Last edited by green24 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
jets512

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milliner- B+
-I like that we went BPA and the board really didn't fall our way. Only other option there was Warmack so I'm fine with the pick.

Sheldon Richardson- A-
-I'm giving this grade under the assumption that we will be seeing a lot more 4 man fronts. The kid is a beast and was another BPA.

Geno Smith- B+
-At the time we drafted him, I was very disappointed, not because I don't like Geno but because of the situation and the amount of holes in our team. However, If we can get rid of Sanchez and Tebow and let Garrard ease him in, I Love this pick.

Brian Winters- A
-My favorite pick of both nights. Finally a pick that fills a need. He can play four positions along the line and has a mean streak which is always a good thing. I think he's an instant starter.

Bonus!!

Chris Ivory- A
-This would have been an A+ had we gotten him for a 5th, but I can't complain. This guy is a 3-down back and if he stays healthy, this will be a steal. Also happy that we are looking to sign him long-term and I think we can get him for a good price.
neauone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: A+ Reply with quote

Milliner was a great pick A+
The only thing the guy did was win 2 national titles and is a thoroughbred.
NO, HE IS NOT REVIS or Revis lite. But he is "better" than good.

Richardson A+
I love this pick, here is a guy you can line up anywhere, who has an explosive first step, a high motor guy. With Mo and Coples, and Ellis, and Richardson, there is no way you can double team a guy. Devito for all his positives would be a backup if he were still here.
This guy is going to change the face of the defense and the defensive line.
Devito couldn't get into the backfield, and thats what this guy is good at. Richardson will take pressure off of the corners with his play. Understand something, the Jets could have drafted Star or Floyd. This kid was rated higher.

Smith B- I like the pick, the kid has potential, but there is a lingering thought that Smith gives us the best chance to win and may be only a stop gap until next year. If he is all that he was in college great, but if not... Well leave it there

Winters A+ picking a lineman was SOOOOO important for this team, someone they project to be a guard of the future with a mean streak.
This guy was a 4 year starter at RT and LT, but is projected to play the guard position. The weakest link on this team was the OL, and we added FA vets and Winters, were headed in the right direction.

Remember with any draft, it isn't only the players, its the organization that is ultimately judged.
NOW
B- for the 4th rounder in Chris Ivory, the Jets could have offered next years number 5 pick. But it gives the Jets a solid RB group with the addition of Goodwin
All in all a good, solid draft, perhaps their best in recent memory
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milliner B+
Great prospect, but did not like the idea of drafting a CB in the 1st. All the surgeries is a concern for me. He's a physical corner who can jam and play the run. 4.3 speed. So i can see him becoming a good player, I just hope he stay healthy.

Richardson B
Good player, but I still don't understand this pick. I understand he was the BPA, but we spent a 1st on a rotational player. I hope he becomes more than that.

Smith B+
I wasn't a true believer in his talent, but I think he can become a solid starter. Probably not elite, but someone that can get the job done. We got the #1 ranked QB in the 2nd, so I can't give this one a bad grade. I'm hoping he proves everyone wrong.

Winters A
Physical OG who can compete with Peterman & Colon for the starting spots. I doubt he goes into the season as a starter, but I think he will take over at some point of the season. There were times when he reminded me of Faneca .

Chris Ivory A
Love it. Powell is a decent back, Goodson avg 6yds a carry last season, and Ivory is a potential game changer. Ivory's physical play will be perfect against . He will get a lot of touches until our QB situation is figured out.

Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about sending a message. - The Joker
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I think we deserve a B for this draft. It was solid, if unspectacular due to all the OL picks. However, games are won in the trenches so I was fine with the picks. Idzik stayed true to his board for the most part, and I really like all the talent we got. And I do like the Geno pick, because it was excellent value at #39. He is our QB of the future. Milliner will never be Revis, but he can def be a good #1 CB in this league.

Factor in we traded a 4th for Ivory, and maybe if he stays healthy our draft looks even better.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 20 SACK: 1 FF: 1 INT:
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB DeMarcus Milliner- As long as you closed and put away the Revis book and you don't open the book anytime until Revis either hangs up his cleats or reunites with Jets, Milliner will be all right. Too bad that media crap will never close and put away the book at all. As everyone knows that nobody from the past, present and future can match or outperform Revis' documentable performance as a Jet, Milliner is the best talented available cornerback to start for Jets in 2013. Milliner offers the most gifted physical and solid football IQ to be an above average cornerback for 5 or more years in the 2013 draft class. Grade is A plus.

DL Sheldon Richardson- He offers more explosiveness than Jay Ratliff out of college for the same size. Ratlif had bulked up into 310 for week 1 from 292 on Pro Day. Richardson's body is perfect for upholding weight so it means he won't lose any explosiveness when he gets bulked up from 294 into 315. Only bad dieting will kill him as we will expect him to gather powerful 20lbs to his frame for week 1. I have no idea how will Jets utilize Richardson in 5 months later but I guess he will be mostly utilized to play off center (Gap A or Technique 1) so he can tap on his ridiculous high motor and explosiveness to reach the qb pocket in no time. Mostly is a key word because Ryan should be moving around DL with Ellis at 0 for 2 gap duty.. Grade is A.

QB Eugene Smith- Bad interview and playing wrong system may make him a full round drop off. Taking him in 2nd round as BPA should not put any serious pressure on him. I prefer taking qb as BPA to reaching for qb. Taking a qb in 2nd does not mean Jets get a qb of the future at all. However, he can throw 50 times weekly without any fatigue issue if Mornhinweg finds a hot roll in pass offense. A footwork and picking up offense are two things away from him being a starter on week 1. One hateful scout called him a poor game student so let's see who is right. Grade is A.

OL Brian Winters- He is one of few G prospects why I don't want Warmack or Cooper in the 1st round. I got worried after Pugh and Long being drafted in 1st. He was second G taken off the board since Long. He offers good pass protection with top notch run blocking skill but he does not do any good job at mirroring. His footwork got lost quickly when he tried to mirror pass rusher. He will need to work on footwork to ensure no defensive player that threatens to knock qb down will pick on him in NFL. Grade is A.

RB Chris Ivory- Jets traded their 4th round pick for him so Jets are back to 1 2 punch business. Goodson and Ivory are signed for 3 years with Jets at mediocre wages. Both are young with NFL experience but unfortunately they also have dealt with injuries. Mornhinweg is going to count on Goodson for most of a game because of his ability to go out of backfield for pass catching duty as Ivory will be mostly responsible for a tough situation like goalline or short yard. I wanted Rex Burkman or UDFA signee for that role. Grade is C.

OL Oday Aboushi- He has practiced Muslim seriously. Watch out for rites although most of them occur in Spring (Estimation in the Georgian Calendar). His footwork and strength are awful. He will need a lot of works on those area but he is good for a gaping trap which fits Mornhinweg's style just fine. He is not locked for 53 squad yet. I don't see him beat Ducasse right now. He will not be able to play outside at next level so RG may be his home. The training camp will determine his status. Grade is D..

OL William Campbell- His role in football will get understood better if he moves on from maturity issue. Jets were one of 3 teams that wanted him as OL and Lions wanted him as DL. He has yet to play football properly so his skill set is up in the air. He is destined to a scouting team for now. He and Oboushi will be expected to test the waiver list first. Jets could make few moves to keep them on 53 squad if they are good enough to contribute somehow. Grade is D.

FB Tommy Bohanon. I am not crazy about drafting FB but it is only 7th Round. I try to think something another than labeling classic FB on him because you can find a classic FB after the draft. He offers solid awareness to protect a quarterback and block for any runner. That is a key element for the spread offense. That's it I guess. Grade is C.
moham-17

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee Milliner: B-
I would've put this at a B+/A- if not for his durability concerns. He is a willing tackler, and great at finding the ball in the air. I love the pick.

Sheldon Richardson: B
I would've really preferred to trade this pick, and I think we tried to.
Still, I'm excited about the potential our front line has to tie up blockers and let whatever LBs we have go to work.

Geno Smith: B+
I didn't really want him, he played in a non-NFL style offense, and has rightly been questioned as a system QB. Nonetheless, based on where we got him, and his physical skill set, I like it. He's supposed to be a good study and film junkie which will hopefully accelerate his learning curve.

Brian Winters: A-

It all starts in the trenches, we've set ourselves up to have a strong foundation to build on. Hopefully these guys will do better at opening up the lanes for our running game this year. Winters is supposed to have a mean streak, I can't wait to see it. I think he starts immediately.

Chris Ivory via trade: A
He looks explosive, and supposedly was underutilized with the Saints. He's going to get his shot here. I would've liked a S or WR with this pick, but really I think we made the better choice.

Oday Aboushi: B+
This was great value here; Aboushi was originally slated as a fringe first-round prospect. I think he takes over by next year, or year 3 for sure.

Overall, I give our draft a B.
jetfuel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grade pretty hard.

Milliner is an A+ he is the best D player in the draft. He will be a pro bowler and a great guy on and off the field.

Richardson D- I really hate this pick. I think he is one of the most overrated guys in the draft. The DL is fine and no need to add him. Had better options.

Smith is a B He has a chance to be a very good QB but I don't think he will be much better than what we have.

Winters B he is not that athletic but he can step in at G and start.

Ivory=4th round pick. F. I hate this trade. We have a chance to get a guy who is younger faster and can stay on the field. His health is really bad and the way he runs makes it worse.

Aboushi D To big of a project. He has no real spot on the line. He is average or below in all spots along the line.

Overall on the draft is a C
jpt331

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milliner: A-
Richardson: B+
Geno: A+
Winters: A+
Ivory: A++
Oday: B
Campbell: C-
Bohanan: B-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpt331 wrote:
Milliner: A-
Richardson: B+
Geno: A+
Winters: A+
Ivory: A++
Oday: B
Campbell: C-
Bohanan: B-

I pretty much agree with this. Maybe drop Ivory down to like a B+ and possibly bump Bohanan up (like what I see from him)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 1 Dee Milliner, CB, Bama- A+ : I HATE this pick, but it was the best possible pick the jets could have made. The circumstances sucked. They really wanted Tavon. I also think they had milliner as top 3 on their board.

Milliner was probably the 5th or 6th choice but he was by far the best value there. He also stabilizes the CB position for the next several years (in 2 years both Wilson and Cro become FA's)

Round 1 Sheldon Richardson, DE/DT, Mizzou- B+: I'm a huge Sheldon Richardson fan, i haven't said much about him on this site because I never really considered the position in the first round. However, i do see a lot of JJ Watt in him. He may never become as good, but i see that sorta mean streak. I think he's a much better interior pass-rusher than he gets credit for. Still the board did not fall kindly to them, and i'm glad they did not reach on Patterson or Eifert there. It will be interesting to see how Wilkerson, Richardson and Coples play together. You have to assume a top #15 pick will start immediately, but where? he's not a nose tackle, so will the Jets mostly run a 4-3? they really dont have the LB's to play a 3-4 (IMO)

Round 2 Geno Smith, QB, WVU- A+: This is a best-case scenario for the Jets. It's amazing how it was the PERFECT pick. If Cyprien fell to them then maybe I hesitate but really there wasn't anyone better for them to take there. The only guy i would maybe have taken instead of Smith is Robert Woods

Round 3 Brian Winters, OG, Kent St.- B+: I really wanted Sio Moore with this pick and thought he could possibly make it. Same for Warford. The Jets passed on Terrance Williams and Demontre Moore and stuck to their board. Winters was a solid pick and should instantly win a starting job at guard.

Round 4 Chris Ivory Trade- B-: Boy there were some great guys in the 4th round the jets could've gotten. I understand that the Jets felt Ivory was a much better option to rb left in the draft after the 3rd round. I just wish the Jets could've had a shot at Trevardo Williams or Meliciah Goodman. Also, the Jets could've drafted JonathanFranklin instead of traded for Ivory. I really liked Franklin and thought he was a much better bergain in the 4th than Ivory. Also, i felt the Jets should have stuck at a 5th round pick, especially with Franklin still on the board.

Round 5 Oday Aboushi, OT/OG, UVA- B: I'm a fan of Aboushi but personally I disagree with Idzik going OG again with Ryawn Swope still sitting there. He was a fringe 2nd round guy and could immediately play in this offense. Aboushi can become a good player and O-line depth is something this team had seriously been lacking, so the pick is not all bad. It's just that Idzik is more patient a GM than I am a fan. He is "building" his team through the Oline and Dline, and i dont disagree with that philosophy but its boring to watch

Round 6 William Campbell, OG/DT, Michigan- C+: OK, at this point in the draft i was really confused. We didnt address WR, TE, Safety, or OLB?? four out of five of the jets biggest needs? I mean building a team is important, but it would be nice if they TRIED to be competitive next year. They do have the makings of a great defense and are now probably one safety and passrusher away from true dominance (typed with a ton of optimism). They failed to address those needs aqnd in the 6th when the jets passed on both Cornelius Washington (who i dont like but heard the jets loved) and Bacarri Rambo (amazing value and i loved him as a prospect), Cobi Hamilton, Mychel Rivera, and Ryan Griffen were also available.... I wish the Jets would've addressed a major need here as I felt Rambo could have become an immediate contributor while Campbell will be a project at guard.

Round 7 Tommy Bohanan, FB/TE, Wake Forest- A+: I love this pick. I think Bohanan plays a lot of TE for us as well as FB and becomes a true H-back. He isn't a great runner but he can lead block, pass block, and also run routes while displaying solid hands and a lunchpail mentality. Put his head down and looks for the 1st down kinda guy. Solid Pick

Ultimately I'd Grade this draft as a B+: In Grading the Jets you have to admit this team is much better than it was before the weekend of the draft. The jets should have solid depth on both lines which should come in handy during the 2013 season. Also, Milliner should be at least adequate at CB allowing the Jets to use Wilson in more creative ways. Also, I would think that Coples will be asked to lose a few lbs and turn him into an OLB. he has shown to have decent instincts in his first year and the Jets could ease him in at OLB while playing a lot more 4-3 to allow Richardson and Wilkserson to reak havoc up the middle. Yes Coples has a BRILLIANT inside move but that doesn't mean he can't use it at OLB or even **Gasp** make him develop his outside moves and turn him into a complete pass-rusher. Coples is one of the most athletic DE's in the leage, he really isn't a 3-Tech, he's more of a Hybrid DT/DE/OLB. Rex loves versitility so don't be suprised if Coples comes into camp at around 270

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I would of done if I was a Jet GM

1. Dee Milliner

1. NT Star Lotulelei

2. OLB Tank Carradine

3. OLB Damontre Moore

I think the best thing for you guys would have been to get a defense on the field. This offense is a mess, sorry guys, im not trying to be rude im just interested in this team. Let this year play out then in 2014 you will be a bottom team, again im sorry, and take Teddy and build around him adding some lineman in the following rounds. Hill, Holmes, Ivory, can help him that year and the following year get the weapons. You will already have a defense in place trying to add possibly a FS and an ILB too via FA.

Now with that said I think the draft was solid and will show up results this year. Not my favorite draft, but Milliner was a good pick. Good luck to you guys and see ya week 16!

stallyns wrote:
I don't remember much before Football's Future.
kilahchris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee Millinier pick as a nice pick but after that I believe the draft was a disaster.

With Santonio Holmes coming off foot surgery,
Stephen Hill still raw and probably will not be much of a factor
Jeremy Kerley decent slot receiver
No substantial upgrade at tight end.

I wonder what the pass offense will be like in 2013.

You guys give this draft a high grade yet there are major holes on the offense that was not even addressed in this draft.

Even considering that Geno Starts this season at all he will have to rely on a sub par receiving corp and no big play tight end. I predict that Jets will rank in the bottom five in offense next year.

This Draft = D
for the simple reason they passed on all of the wide receiver. tight end and safety talent that was out there in the draft to draft a bunch of mid round offensive lineman that might not pan out on the NFL level.

Infuriating to say the least!
jetfuel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilahchris wrote:
Dee Millinier pick as a nice pick but after that I believe the draft was a disaster.

With Santonio Holmes coming off foot surgery,
Stephen Hill still raw and probably will not be much of a factor
Jeremy Kerley decent slot receiver
No substantial upgrade at tight end.

I wonder what the pass offense will be like in 2013.

You guys give this draft a high grade yet there are major holes on the offense that was not even addressed in this draft.

Even considering that Geno Starts this season at all he will have to rely on a sub par receiving corp and no big play tight end. I predict that Jets will rank in the bottom five in offense next year.

This Draft = D
for the simple reason they passed on all of the wide receiver. tight end and safety talent that was out there in the draft to draft a bunch of mid round offensive lineman that might not pan out on the NFL level.

Infuriating to say the least!

I gave the jets a C but I think you need to understand that there was no good WR, TE, S in this draft. This was a very poor draft for these positions. This is why the OL was drafted so high. I think this is the lowest skill position draft I have seen in my life. I have watched about 25 drafts too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: