Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Day 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the Thursday/Friday draft stupid?
Yes, they should change it back, they are ruining Christmas!
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
No Beck, you're just old. No one cares how far you had to walk to school.
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

LondonBengal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
I like the Bernard pick

Not convinced with the Bernard pick.

Would have preferred Laveon Bell over Bernard and Lacy. Bell is a big back in the Barry Foster/ Jerome Bettis mould, and seeing him in Gold & Black fills me with dread. Bell could be a load for us for years.

Hope Bernard turns into a Rice type guy for us, but right here, right now, I would have preferred Bell.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely loved your guys' Sean Porter pick. A steal imo. Very versatile and smart LB...and given the way Burfict was a player of note for your guys last year, it really wouldn't surprise me to see Porter play a significant role for you guys, and do well. Has plenty of cover skills and ability, but also so much potential as a blitzer. Fantastic at disguising those sort of looks as well.

Just a really good value pick. Could seem him racking up a lot of tackles and decent sack numbers as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
I like the Bernard pick

Not convinced with the Bernard pick.

Would have preferred Laveon Bell over Bernard and Lacy. Bell is a big back in the Barry Foster/ Jerome Bettis mould, and seeing him in Gold & Black fills me with dread. Bell could be a load for us for years.

Hope Bernard turns into a Rice type guy for us, but right here, right now, I would have preferred Bell.

No thank you on Bell. Both he and Lacy have similar skill sets to BJGE. Bernard gives us that home run threat with the ability to catch out of the backfield.

With the additions of Eifert and Bernard, our offense won't be so predictable and stagnant.

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
RedGreenShow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad we didn't take Bell and i'm even more glad Pitt did. Bell kinda reminds me of Mendenhall. Big back, softer than his build implies, dances around the hole instead of jolting through it, and has a decent spin move. Pittsburgh made a mistake not drafting Lacy.

When it comes to Bernard, he does everything, he's just not elite at anything. Jack of all trades, master of none. Although he has some pretty quick feet. If we went with Lacy(a way better runner IMO), we still would of had a hole for our third down guy. Our offense with Dalton has never had a scat back with hands like Gio. So we should see a lot more screens and such this year. Like the Eifert pick, its just another method of keeping defences at bay.
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedGreenShow wrote:
Pittsburgh made a mistake not drafting Lacy.

Apparently not.

Lacy has a problem with a lingering toe injury that the Steelers were not happy with.

Bell just reminds me of that typical big Pittsburgh back like Bettis and Foster that have been running all over us for years. I appreciate we have a better defence now, but Bell does impress me. Obviously a completely different back to Bernard.
Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be shocked if Bell does anything worthwhile in the NFL. He never impressed me as a college player.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
RedGreenShow wrote:

Apparently not.

Lacy has a problem with a lingering toe injury that the Steelers were not happy with.

Bell just reminds me of that typical big Pittsburgh back like Bettis and Foster that have been running all over us for years. I appreciate we have a better defence now, but Bell does impress me. Obviously a completely different back to Bernard.

One of the problems with drafting a Rb is that they have short shelf lifes, the body can only take so much pounding. Now keeping that in mind look at the carries Bell got in College. I won't be suprised if he had a shorter shelf life then the average Rb which is 5 years. I think Pitsburg took a gamble with several of their picks that may play off now but not in the long run. Bell is another North south runner whoses skills are Simlair to "the lawfirm" so he adds nothing to our Offense, we made the right pick!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrminning wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
RedGreenShow wrote:

Apparently not.

One of the problems with drafting a Rb is that they have short shelf lifes, the body can only take so much pounding. Now keeping that in mind look at the carries Bell got in College. I won't be suprised if he had a shorter shelf life then the average Rb which is 5 years. I think Pitsburg took a gamble with several of their picks that may play off now but not in the long run. Bell is another North south runner whoses skills are Simlair to "the lawfirm" so he adds nothing to our Offense, we made the right pick!

My only concern about Bernard is where the 2 other guys that most of us liked in a similar role ended up getting drafted. I like Bernard, but getting Arthur Brown and Franklin would have been outstanding.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beck Bristow wrote:
wrminning wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
RedGreenShow wrote:

Apparently not.

My only concern about Bernard is where the 2 other guys that most of us liked in a similar role ended up getting drafted. I like Bernard, but getting Arthur Brown and Franklin would have been outstanding.

I agree but I don't think Marvin sees it that way, I would have picked Franklin over Bernard same type of runner, good hands and a better blocker and of course that would have given us a chance at Brown.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beck Bristow wrote:
wrminning wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
RedGreenShow wrote:

Apparently not.

We were high on Brown, but the team apparently wasn't. He was there at #53 and we passed for Hunt.
BengalsEra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bell is my favorite back in this draft. I know he wouldnt have benefitted the Bengals a whole lot because they already have BJGE. I'm just mad he went to Pittsburgh. Brick wall
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BengalsEra wrote:
Bell is my favorite back in this draft. I know he wouldnt have benefitted the Bengals a whole lot because they already have BJGE. I'm just mad he went to Pittsburgh. ](*,)

Bell is a 230 lb finesse RB.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
BengalsEra wrote:
Bell is my favorite back in this draft. I know he wouldnt have benefitted the Bengals a whole lot because they already have BJGE. I'm just mad he went to Pittsburgh. Brick wall

Bell is a 230 lb finesse RB.

This is a commonly used misnomer. Steven Jackson is a finesse RB if Bell is one. Now, Bell on the second level and in the secondary tries harder to avoid tacklers than Jackson but Bell is not a finesse runner. He's a grinder. If you have quick feet and a nasty spin move, why not use them? Bell will churn out yardage with size and power when necessary and he'll make you miss when necessary. He's a good, solid, reliable HB. In fact, I'd say he's very comparable to Steven. Not quite as athletic but very close and not quite as mean but close.

I think he'll do well in Pitt if their OL is up to par.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there FFMD winners?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
We were high on Brown, but the team apparently wasn't. He was there at #53 and we passed for Hunt.

That #53 pick was real interesting, and I though Arthur Brown was ours too at that point.

I think it says a lot to the draft process and grading work the Bengals do, and I think it says that DE skills are harder to find than LB skills. That process we have adopted of using a 2nd/3rd round pick on talented DE's; (Dunlap/ Johnson/ Hunt); has worked. Just goes to show that you don't have to blow top draft picks to build a good LB corps. In fact those guys we have drafted high recently; (Rivers/ Pollack); have been unsuccessful for whatever reason.

If you compare that to our 12 LB's currently on the roster, (Burfict/ Dimanche/ Harrison/ Joiner/ Lamur/ Maualuga/ Maybin/ Moch/ Porter/ Rey/ Schaffer/ Taylor); 7 of these guys are UDFA's, (8 if you include Harrison).

Do the Bengals believe DE skills are more prized than LB skills, and that's why they went DE @ #53 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: