Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dolphan's Draft Series: Jamar Taylor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Dolphan's Draft Series: Jamar Taylor Reply with quote

Jamar Taylor CB, Boise State, 5'11 195
Pick Analysis- The Dolphins stood pat in round two and picked up a solid CB prospect. I had Taylor graded as my highest rated second round corner, and fourth overall corner. Taylor has solid size and speed, and the light really came on in the last year and a half for him. He told the Miami media that his position coach at Boise brought "out the dog in me." I like that in a player. He likes to talk and get into opponents head.

Scouting Report- Fearless in run support. Watched him tackle Le'Veon Bell, a 240+ pound tailback, 4 times. He sets the edge on outside runs, and attacks ball carriers in front of him. I saw him get run over one time on film, and that was by Dion Sims, a 280 pound TE. Saw him play effectively in press man coverage, in trail technique, in zone and in off-man coverage. He has tools that will be maximized by Kevin Coyle. Seems to have good ball skills. He was beaten on a short post against Michigan State, and the WR bobbled the pass and Taylor snatched the ball from him for an interception.

Vision in the scheme- Taylor likely will start across from Grimes, or at minimum be the nickel but play on the outside.

Film Study
Press man coverage, trail technique

To begin, Taylor is lined up in press man coverage with safety help. He sets up for trail technique using the sideline as an extra defender.

An easy to tell if a corner is disciplined: Does he play the ball? Does he play the receiver? He has his head around here to play the ball and is in excellent position with safety help. Notice that the route is at the first down marker, his receiver is blanketed and is in his hip pocket. At this point most quarterbacks aren't going to make this throw: except an elite one is going to try and put it back shoulder.

This QB tries to put it back shoulder and Taylor slides for the interception on the sideline. Notice the body contortion and still brings it in. WR had no chance.

Off coverage

This play will be difficult to breakdown because in the pictures he is off the screen. Clearly he is in off coverage, the offense was lined up in a stack formation. Taylor has the responsibility of out breaking routes.

If you can see the WR cutting outside, he appears to be wide open. The QB is releasing the ball, and Taylor is about 6 yards from the open WR.

Taylor dives to break up the pass on the sideline. His instincts in off coverage are excellent and his timing was perfect.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a guy a lot of us had mocked with the 42nd pick in the draft.

I like his skill set and should be able to step in and give the Dolphins a play making DB. Coyle works wonders with DB's and this guy already has a bunch to work with.

I had wanted him as one of the CBs the team selected and I'm ecstatic he is in a phins uniform.

I watch film and I see a little Patrick Surtain in him....hopefully he will be as good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

favourite second tier guy Very Happy
Belfast Trojans #32 Shamrock Bowl winner '12, '13 and '14
EFAF Atlantic Cup Winner 2013
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now he is my favorite pick in the Draft....I like Dion Jordan's potential, but Taylor should solve at least one the CB positions for years to come.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really happy about the pick and his ability to play multiple schemes is big to me so if we want to mix coverages during game he can

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: