Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rams Prospect Profile: WR Stedman Bailey
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Rams Prospect Profile: WR Stedman Bailey Reply with quote

WR Stedman Bailey (5'10"/193) - West Virginia

Combine Results:

"Experts" Take:
Rob Rang wrote:
STRENGTHS: Bailey tracks the ball very well and shows outstanding body control and timing on deep passes. He has excellent hand/eye coordination and is a natural hands-catcher, snatching it away from his body with strong hands and making tough catches look easy.
Bailey is a balanced athlete with quick feet in/out of his breaks and the agility in the open field to make defenders miss. He is a smart route-runner and knows how to bait defenders and attract defensive pass interference penalties. Bailey shows excellent patience and burst in his routes with good stop-and-go motions to release at the line of scrimmage and gain a step or work back to the ball. He does a nice job gaining inside position and uses his body well, doing a nice job catching the ball in stride.

Bailey has a RB-like build with a little bit of power for the position and strength to pick up yards after contact. He has some wiggle after the catch and is not always easy to bring down with his slippery run style.

Bailey was extremely productive over his career, setting several school records including career touchdown catches (39). He has good starting experience with 35 career starts the past three seasons, lining up all over the offense.

WEAKNESSES: Bailey lacks ideal height, length and leaping ability, lacking the large catching radius of other receivers. He doesn't have great explosiveness to beat defenders with speed alone, lacking the same suddenness as his teammate Tavon Austin.

Bailey doesn't always appear invested in the play when it isn't designed to go his way. He has limited experience and production on special teams (11 career kick returns).

He needs to play smarter, drawing a celebration penalty after a touchdown against Baylor (2012). He battled a gimpy left ankle much of the 2012 season and has some minor durability concerns. Bailey has some character concerns after he was cited for stealing over-the-counter cold medication in Jan. 2012.

NFL Comparison: Mix of Steve Smith, Carolina Panthers and Golden Tate, Seattle Seahawks - Bailey has the build and athleticism of Tate, but shows the toughness and downfield playmaking ability of Smith

NFL.com wrote:
STRENGTHS Extremely productive. Showcases tremendous physicality in his routes. Uses his hands and body to create separation. Excellent body control. Very reliable target, volume catcher. Soft hands, can make plays off of his frame. Smart receiver who is adept at finds holes and picking up the first down. Tracks the football well over his shoulder and adjusts his body in order to make difficult catches. Competitive.

WEAKNESSES Lacks ideal size, both in terms of height and bulk. Not an overly explosive athlete. Doesn't change directions with suddenness. Likely won't run a blazing 40 yard dash. Often times most of the attention of the defense was given to teammate and fellow wide receiver Tavon Austin.

NFL COMPARISON Greg Jennings

BOTTOM LINE Bailey lacks the ideal size and speed of an outside receiver. However, what Bailey lacks in terms of measurables, he makes up for with reliable hands, physicality, and superb body control. He will likely be selected on the second day.

Russ Lande wrote:
STRENGTHS - Tough and fearless, Bailey shows no hesitation catching passes as he heads into traffic. He has strong hands and great focus which helps him to pluck ball away from ball and holds onto it while defender tries to rip ball out of his hands. He shows toughness taking hard hit after the catch and holding onto the ball. Whether catching a quick bubble screen behind the LOS or a pass on an "out" route, Bailey is quick getting started up the field after the catch. He can change directions fast, which gives him a "wiggle" to make tacklers miss and combined with his strength and balance he is consistently able to gain yards after contact. His quick COD ability, use of hands and surprising strength make it look easy for Bailey to shake and defeat jam to release quickly off the LOS. Able to make great catches over and over, Bailey's outstanding hands made him a reliable go-to-receiver for Geno Smith. Despite lacking great size, Bailey consistently impresses with his ability to shield cornerback and make tough catch while he tries to break up pass. Smart and aware, Bailey consistently knows where the first down marker is and gets beyond it to make catch in key situations.

WEAKNESSES - Quicker than fast, Bailey lacks the burst and speed to get separation on deep routes. Even when he gets past initial defender and has space he lacks the speed to out-run angles and score long TD's. Although he is quick and runs sharp/precise routes, he did not consistently show the burst out of cuts to get separation from coverage. While he has good strength for his size, he is still only 5'10 and will not be able to play as strong versus bigger, stronger NFL cornerbacks.

SUMMARY - Tavon Austin may be the big name play-making receiver from West Virginia in the Draft, but Bailey was a highly productive receiver whose sharp routes, strong hands and agility give him the talent to be a productive slot receiver in the NFL. Bailey impressed with his ability to defeat jam with ease despite lacking the size and long arms usually needed to do so. Although Bailey struggled to consistently gain separation from man coverage in the games evaluated, I was constantly impressed by his ability to make tough catches with a defender draped all over him trying to break up pass. Against zone coverage Bailey was consistently productive as he identified it and found the open/dead spot and sat down in it. Overall, Bailey does not have the physical talent to be the play-maker in the NFL that Tavon Austin will be, which is why he does not warrant being a first round pick. However, he is a smart receiver, who runs sharp routes, knows how to get open, has rare hands (He caught 94% of passes thrown his way in games evaluated) and is a good runner after the catch, which is why he warrants being selected in the second round.

Videos:
2013 Combine Workout
vs. Marshall/Baylor/Texas
vs. Oklahoma/Syracuse

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity

Last edited by chris00cm on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this pick, and it makes it all the more "sexy" that we got both the WVU boys. I genuinely have an excellent feeling about the offense this year.

I think this is a perfect way to combat the big physical corners in the division. Small, quick polished route runners.

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Greg Robinson
3. Mike Evans
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I. Hate. You.

Why do all my favorite prospects always go to rival teams?

Backwards from last year, Bobby Wagner and Russell Wilson went to Seattle, Colin Jones to San Francisco in 2011, George Selvie to the Rams and Kam Chancellor to the Hawks in 2010, Aaron Curry to the Hawks in 2009, and the list could go on.

Now the Rams grab the one, the only, Studman Beastly. Enjoy his ability guys, hopefully he dominates vs everyone by Arizona.
Supersuavesky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just need to pick up another late round player or so to make this offense really click.

iPwn wrote:
I'd rather be ignorant to others' ignorance.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
STEDMAN BAILEY ‏@iamSB3

@BigGame81 to follow your foot steps. Is there anyway I could get in contact with you. Figured you would be a mentor for me. I need to learn

Hows that for perfect attitude. Drafted; 12 hours later, reaching out to Torry Holt.
DistantRam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Quote:
STEDMAN BAILEY ‏@iamSB3

@BigGame81 to follow your foot steps. Is there anyway I could get in contact with you. Figured you would be a mentor for me. I need to learn

Hows that for perfect attitude. Drafted; 12 hours later, reaching out to Torry Holt.

That is excellent. Let's hope that Torry replies.
Brodie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Quote:
STEDMAN BAILEY ‏@iamSB3

Wow that is freakin awesome. Bailey is gonna be a great WR or die trying

Adopt-A-Ram

Alec Ogeltree 109 combinded tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 FF, 10 stuffs, 9 PD, 1 Int 1td.
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brodie wrote:
khodder wrote:
Quote:
STEDMAN BAILEY ‏@iamSB3

Wow that is freakin awesome. Bailey is gonna be a great WR or die trying

Love the attitude and the respect he's showing there. High hopes for the kid.

Sig courtesy of SJax39

Adopt a Ram
Sam Bradford
159-262 1687 yards 14 TD 4 INT
Hoj398

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Quote:
STEDMAN BAILEY ‏@iamSB3

This is great.
Emcee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DistantRam wrote:
khodder wrote:
Quote:
STEDMAN BAILEY ‏@iamSB3

Quote:
Torry Holt ‏@BigGame81
@iamSB3 Congrats on being selected to @STLouisRams. Im excited for the WR group. You guys can be special. Mk it work. I'll be in touch soon

Cool
El ramster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emcee wrote:
DistantRam wrote:
khodder wrote:
Quote:
STEDMAN BAILEY ‏@iamSB3

Quote:
Torry Holt ‏@BigGame81
@iamSB3 Congrats on being selected to @STLouisRams. Im excited for the WR group. You guys can be special. Mk it work. I'll be in touch soon

Cool

So glad that Fisher let's the vets come by.

Spags hated them and took down a bunch of our glory days from the Russel athletics building.

"Hot Pie" -House Hot Pie, All hail the King.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a nickname for these two midget receivers we drafted Laughing

El ramster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Jerry Laughing Laughing Laughing

Also, I have many clips on youtube, Non have made me drop my jaw

unlike Megatron and Brian Quick. Brian Quicks videos are so nasssssty!

Man

Cook-Quick-Tavon-Givens-Stedman

can be so nassssty.. Sam Bradford is going to spread it out.
No more excuses for Sam. Sleeper for Fantasy imo.

Not to mention Pead out the backfield Shocked Shocked

"Hot Pie" -House Hot Pie, All hail the King.

Last edited by El ramster on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
Tom and Jerry Laughing Laughing Laughing

Also, I have many clips on youtube, Non have made me drop my jaw

unlike Megatron and Brian Quick. Brian Quicks videos are so nasssssty!

Man

Cook-Quick-Tavon-Givens-Stedman

can be so nassssty.. Sam Bradford is going to speed it out.
No more excuses for Sam. Sleeper for Fantasy imp.

Not to mention Pead out the backfield Shocked Shocked

Tavon Awesome and Studman Bailey.

Hoj398

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
We need a nickname for these two midget receivers we drafted Laughing

The Little Rascals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: