Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rams Prospect Profile: S T.J. McDonald
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris00cm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Rams Prospect Profile: S T.J. McDonald Reply with quote

S T.J. McDonald (6'2"/219) - USC

Combine Results:

"Experts" Take:
Rob Rang wrote:
Strengths: Looks the part of a traditional NFL safety, possessing broad shoulders, a trim middle and impressive overall musculature. Moved all around as part of USC's defense in 2012, lining up as a single centerfielder, a corner covering slot receivers, a blitzing linebacker up the middle or off the edge and in his more familiar two-deep package.
Aggressive defender who attacks the line of scrimmage when he reads run. Physically takes on and shed blockers and is a lights-out hitter. Brings his hips to explode through the ballcarrier, yet wrapping his arms securely. Possesses good straight-line speed with a burst to close and the length to make tackles of ballcarriers seemingly out of his reach. Uses his height and physicality well to compete for jump balls. Good ball-skills. Dependable, no-nonsense player.

Weaknesses: Long, lanky build that makes him a step slow in transitioning. Has to gather himself out of his cuts, giving receivers room to gain separation. Seemed confused in Kiffin's scheme. Too often drifted out of position by attempting to read the quarterback's eyes, leaving huge gaps in the secondary for the high-octane passing attacks in the Pac-12 to exploit.

Had a generally underwhelming performance throughout the week of practice at the Senior Bowl and could be losing momentum as the draft approaches. Underwent surgery to his ankle (undisclosed) following 2010 spring.

Compares To: Kam Chancellor, SS, Seattle Seahawks -- While not quite as imposing as the 6-3, 232-pound Chancellor, McDonald's size and physicality is sure to intrigue teams looking for an enforcer against the running game and one athletic enough to handle the bigger hybrid receivers now running down the seam as tight ends in the NFL. Like Chancellor, a former free safety at Virginia Tech, McDonald's best fit in the NFL would be as an "in the box" type rather than playing over the top.

NFL.com wrote:
STRENGTHS NFL bloodlines with pro size and length who has played deep and in the box. Hits like a missile in the middle of the field, uses his shoulder to bring real power into the back or midsection of receivers with closing speed and tenacity. Solid ball skills, looks high and wide passes into his hands and can get down to get his hands under low throws. Physical presence around the line, sticks his head into short-yardage plays and uses his length to stay off lineman blocks and to wrap up running backs in traffic and receivers in the flat. Attacks the alley aggressively when coming downhill from two-high coverages. Does a good job fighting through blocks and making tackles on screens. Tries to lay the kill shot on wide receivers over the middle, but generally a good form tackler against running backs. Height and size come in handy on jump ball situations. Will be a factor on special teams, both using his length on the kick block team and as a strong tackler on coverage units.

WEAKNESSES Will be pegged as a pure in-the-box safety. Protected in coverage by being used extensively as a Robber his senior season. Linear, high-cut player who is tall in his back pedals. Displays stiff hips, average change-of-direction ability and burst. His height and average short-area quickness become an issue when trying to break down quickly to make tackles in space, can be eluded in the open field by quicker receivers and running backs. Also lacks flexibility to turn-and-run with better receivers and tight ends. Does not have the range to get to the sideline, even sometimes to the hash, in single-high looks. Stares into the backfield, gets frozen and fooled by play action, loses receivers behind him, and takes time to recover after a false step.

NFL COMPARISON Bernard Pollard

BOTTOM LINE The son of NFL Pro Bowl safety Tim McDonald and brother of UCLA safety Tevin earned All-American recognition for his big hits and hands in coverage (six interceptions in 2010-2011). However, his lack of agility and instincts could limit his ability to be a reliable starting contributor in a league that is becoming more wide-open. He will probably be best served as a sub-package defender who plays near the line of scrimmage.

Russ Lande wrote:
STRENGTHS - McDonald definitely looks the part of an NFL safety "on the hoof" with his thick, muscular build. When playing aggressively, he has shown a willingness to come up the field quickly in run support and can make strong, violent tackles when he stays over his feet and under control. Showing off his versatility, he lines up deep and near the line of scrimmage in different defensive alignments, can avoid blocks and is constantly around the ball. Surprising acceleration and playing speed give McDonald excellent range vs. the run and pass. He flashes an explosive closing burst to finish plays with hard hits/tackles. When he reads the QB/Pass correctly, he flashes the ability close fast on passes in front of him and makes hard tackle right after the catch. Despite his size, he has the quickness and speed to cover tight ends in man coverage.

WEAKNESSES - Despite having the size and athleticism of an elite prospect, McDonald does not produce like one. Right now he is a much better athlete than football player and needs to improve his production if he wants to start in the NFL. While he flashes quickness coming up quickly in run support, he does not do it consistently and goes through stretches where he seems content to sit back and allow his teammates to make the tackle. Like many defensive players, McDonald loves making the "blow up" hit and it leads to him launching himself to try and make big hit too often and ends up missing tackles he should make. Additionally, when he is not going for the big hit he tends to become an upright, grab tackler. For a player with his experience, it is surprising that he does not read and react consistently in coverage and if often a beat late reacting to sideline and deep passes. He is much more effective going forward in pass coverage than he is in deep coverage and has not shown the skills to come down and be effective covering slot receivers at the next level.

SUMMARY - For a player with elite physical talent, it was frustrating to evaluate McDonald because he does not impact games the way he is capable of. The son of former NFL All Pro safety Tim McDonald, T.J. has a lot to live up to and to do that he will need to play at a higher level than he did at USC. For a player with three years starting experience, it surprises me at how inconsistent McDonald is reading and reacting to pass plays from a deep alignment. He has shown the ability to be an intimidating hitter/tackler in run support and on passes in front of him, but his missed tackles make him a risky player to have at the back end of your defense. Overall, I am confident that McDonald will test out very well at the Combine and will end up being drafted higher than I have him graded. However, I do not believe he will ever be a consistently productive starter in the NFL and will always struggle with missed tackles and in deep coverage.

Videos:
2013 Combine Workout
vs. Arizona (2012)
vs. Stanford (2012)

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity

Last edited by chris00cm on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:00 am; edited 2 times in total
DerekBrink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the drafting of Mcdonald make us less likely to resign Mikell? Mcdonald seems like a pure SS. Seems like we need a coverage guy to occupy the FS spot.
RamRod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerekBrink wrote:
does the drafting of Mcdonald make us less likely to resign Mikell? Mcdonald seems like a pure SS. Seems like we need a coverage guy to occupy the FS spot.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe we draft another safety.
iRaMs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RamRod wrote:
DerekBrink wrote:

earl wolfe kemal ishmael?

DerekBrink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RamRod wrote:
DerekBrink wrote:

Phillip Thomas, Baccari Rambo would be great.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys really aren't giving him enough credit for his potential to play FS. I'm not saying he will play FS, but he can.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
Hoj398

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the overall reaction in the forum to him bring drafted?
DistantRam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoj398 wrote:
what the overall reaction in the forum to him bring drafted?

Judging by what I've read, everyone seems pretty underwhelmed.

T.J. has the physical tools but, as all of the above scouting reports show, he has to put it all together to become a better player. Hopefully, our coaches can make him do just that.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
You guys really aren't giving him enough credit for his potential to play FS. I'm not saying he will play FS, but he can.

And I'm saying if he's playing FS, we have an issue.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Jonezy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the pick.

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
Jonezy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tape against Stanford

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
Jonezy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But i think he should play SS but would be interested to see him at FS

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video on Youtube from the senior bowl showing the safety drills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_lzmUyMz18

TJ looks far more fluid than Duke Williams or Phillip Thomas, but less fluid than Cyprien.

I still believe that a lot of people don't give him enough credit. I'm not saying he's a ball hawk, but I have confidence that he will be a solid starter. He had some issues with eyes and biting on play fakes and taking bad angles in 2010, but cleaned that up in 2011 & 2012.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Here's a video on Youtube from the senior bowl showing the safety drills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_lzmUyMz18

TJ looks far more fluid than Duke Williams or Phillip Thomas, but less fluid than Cyprien.

I still believe that a lot of people don't give him enough credit. I'm not saying he's a ball hawk, but I have confidence that he will be a solid starter. He had some issues with eyes and biting on play fakes and taking bad angles in 2010, but cleaned that up in 2011 & 2012.

TJ's not close to as fluid as Williams. All you have to do is watch him on film. Watch how high and stiff he is in his back-pedal. TJ's a good match-up on TE but Duke is a guy with the hip flexibility to man up on slot WRs.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely agree that his backpedal needs work, but the natural ability and athleticism is there moreso than a lot of other guys. I was actually surprised to watch Duke in those drills because he plays better than what he showed there.

Back to TJ though, I think part of the decision to pull the trigger too though is his work ethic, leadership, intelligence and durability, but also his size-- both Dahl and Mikell were short dawgs. He uses that size to his advantage and covers a lot of ground quickly despite not having great speed.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: