Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grade the 49ers 2013 draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronnie's Pinky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
You have my vote for forum MVP, an award that we don't have or give out.

Heh...thanks. I'm actually angling for the Best Random Rookie Poster Who is Actually Old Enough to Remember Hacksaw Reynolds Award. There's probably not too much competition for that one, so I think it's looking pretty good at this point.
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
I don't know why everbody is knocking the McDonald pick. As traditional TEs go, others may have been ranked higher but for OUR scheme, he is a perfect fit and a easy transition from Walker. A lot of the blocks out on the edge and out in space we asked Delaine to do, McDonald did in college. Most traditional TEs arent lined up in the backfield, or are the lead blocker on fly sweeps. Most traditionl TEs aren't running reverses and catching bubble screens. He was used a lot like James Casey, who was the starter at Rice before him. And if you watch Casey play for the Texans, you know he was a jack of all trade kind of guy who excelled in a H-Back kind of role. That's why we took him. He's the guy that most resembled what Delaine did here, at the college level.

And for those knocking the Reid trade up, according to several Giants forums, Reese was defintley in love with Reid and was going to be their pick. Which makes some sense becuase Pugh really seemed like a Plan B pick. Heard the Vikes were very high on him as well and were going to take him if he were there, over Xavier Rhodes. Baalke nailed this draft, IMO.

Absolutely LOVE the Vance McDonald pick. Sure, he has questionable hands. He probably needs to learn better technique in catching. His hands are large, he just needs to learn to make those hands 'soft' so the ball goes in instead of clunking around/off. His routes are what get me excited. For such a big guy, his routes are very fluid--reminds me of Fleener in this respect(probably one reason I am so excited about this pick!). Also, I heard he was timed at Rice around 4.55 in the 40. His downfield and offline blocking is effective and we know Walker didn't do much (if any) inline blocking, so I hope in the end, he will be better than Walker.
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st round--Eric Reid: Was not excited, but I did not dislike this pick (unlike last year's 1st rounder...)
2nd round--Tank and Vance AND another 3rd round pick for next year?! HOME RUN for this round. Very excited/pleased/enthused about these results.
3rd round--gave away a 3rd to pick Reid...but grabbed Lemonier as OLB!? Thank you very much! Like this round plenty.
4th round--Patton and Lattimore: Not initially excited about these two, but they are growing on me. Patton could be a returner for us even if he doesn't get much time on O. Lattimore will be put on ice this season and is basically one for the future.
5th round--Dial? Isn't that a soap? So we go from Soapoaga to Dial? Hmmm....don't know about this one.
6th round--Moody...I was getting 'moody' when we made this pick. Confused If he becomes a good gunner, I will not be so 'moody'. But this is the round that Arizona grabbed my fav-WR-not-named-Wheaton in Ryan Swope. Crying or Very sad
7th round--Full of head scratchers, to me. Guess I had better change dandruff shampoo.

Overall, I guess it still gets an A-. Much better than last year! Loved 2,3, and getting there with the 4th rounds.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW

Quote:
San Francisco 49ers

Boasting one of the league's most talented rosters and an arsenal of draft picks, they bounced throughout the draft (each of their first four picks was acquired via trade) to land a starting FS, two exciting pass rushers and one of the more intriguing TEs in a very strong class. Tampa Bay paid big money to Dashon Goldson, but Eric Reid's speed, explosiveness and ball skills might make him an upgrade. Cornellius Carradine plays with the physicality and motor to warrant his nickname of "Tank" and only slipped to No. 40 overall due to a late knee injury. Corey Lemonier is a bit straight-linish, but he has a quick first step, an improving spin move and both the length and build to contribute immediately. At 6-foot-4, 267 pounds, Vance McDonald looks the part of an in-line blocker, but his primary contribution will be as a pass catcher, a similar role to what he played while often being split out wide at Rice. Of the 49ers' Day Three picks, wideout Quinton Patton and Marcus Lattimore are the easy highlights. Don't be surprised when Patton overtakes 2012 first-round selection A.J. Jenkins. Lattimore is a terrific talent and, with SF already possessing a strong stable of backs, he doesn't have to be rushed back onto the field. Grade: A

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/22159970/2013-nfl-draft-nfc-west-grades

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
FWIW

Quote:
San Francisco 49ers

Boasting one of the league's most talented rosters and an arsenal of draft picks, they bounced throughout the draft (each of their first four picks was acquired via trade) to land a starting FS, two exciting pass rushers and one of the more intriguing TEs in a very strong class. Tampa Bay paid big money to Dashon Goldson, but Eric Reid's speed, explosiveness and ball skills might make him an upgrade. Cornellius Carradine plays with the physicality and motor to warrant his nickname of "Tank" and only slipped to No. 40 overall due to a late knee injury. Corey Lemonier is a bit straight-linish, but he has a quick first step, an improving spin move and both the length and build to contribute immediately. At 6-foot-4, 267 pounds, Vance McDonald looks the part of an in-line blocker, but his primary contribution will be as a pass catcher, a similar role to what he played while often being split out wide at Rice. Of the 49ers' Day Three picks, wideout Quinton Patton and Marcus Lattimore are the easy highlights. Don't be surprised when Patton overtakes 2012 first-round selection A.J. Jenkins. Lattimore is a terrific talent and, with SF already possessing a strong stable of backs, he doesn't have to be rushed back onto the field. Grade: A

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/22159970/2013-nfl-draft-nfc-west-grades

Jenkins still baffles me. In a year when 2 WRs goes down, he doesn't get more playing time or passes his way? Something is wrong. I stand by my prediction in the Patton thread: in 2 years, I would not be surprised to see Patton here and Jenkins gone.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:

Jenkins still baffles me. In a year when 2 WRs goes down, he doesn't get more playing time or passes his way? Something is wrong. I stand by my prediction in the Patton thread: in 2 years, I would not be surprised to see Patton here and Jenkins gone.

Baffling is understandable. Can't argue with that... though I hope people are careful in separating befuddlement and condemnation. We'll obviously find out a lot more about AJJ and his future this season. No point in overly worrying or making snap conclusions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grade is based on philosophy, execution, and fit. On that I give us a solid A+. Philosophy: we filled our position of needs. Execution: Never panicked, never reached, and got better value for our trades, up and down, than so called market value. Fit: the players we sought were the ones we feel fits our scheme the best even at the cost of not being the so called "best" or "valued" (subjective) player at their position. We run our draft like how we run FA and the best teams show the common attributes of come draft, come FA, they are the least excited and tend to for the most part make the least noise for the biggest names or overpay to fill a need.

A couple of things I would loved to have seen but they were probably out of our control. Trading for future picks, trading up for Star or Sheldon (adding our late 2nd been enough?) at the time it was happening that was later mitigated by getting Tank. Again, execution and why Baalke is Baalke.
SFaithful97

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
I'm also pleased and amused that the team drafted guys named Tank and Patton this year. If this draft class ends up being good, we can call them the 49th Armored Division.

You have my vote for forum MVP, an award that we don't have or give out.

And big9erfan - yeah, I agree. Not a zero percent chance. Just a chance that's very low that I would bet heavily against. Technically, even Bykowski has a chance in the 7th round, but once again it's not one I'd bet on.
And that is obviously how our FO saw it as well. They saw a bigger chance that Lattimore returns as the special talent he was before his injury than they saw in any other prospect being a solid contributor at that spot. If they saw more help elsewhere that is where they would have gone.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
Ataal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to pretend that I watch many college games. In fact, I haven't seen a college game since I lived in Utah and watched Steve Young play for BYU. Heck, I've never heard of anyone we drafted this year.

So, while I'm the last person that has any authority to give a grade, I do enjoy reading everyone's thoughts. I get excited when I see so many others excited about each pick. Not to mention all the articles and videos I've seen recently talking about how well we did this year. Looking forward to watching these young guys develop.

Is it preseason yet? I need me some football!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard Kiper and McShay go through the draft and grade everyone. McShay argued out draft was an A, Kiper gave us either a B or B+. Both of them knocked our final few picks, which was my reaction, but who knows abut guys taken that low. All across the league very few make it. Somaybe a moot point, or maybe our staff sees something most other folks don't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former GM Ted Sundquist says the 49ers had a "grand slam" and "the best draft, top to bottom, in the NFL"

http://media.957thegame.com/a/74116954/former-broncos-gm-ted-sundquist-breaks-down-the-nfl-draft.htm

Bill Polian also said on ESPN that the 49ers had the best draft, and that we addressed need positions in our first 5 picks

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9220605

2 former GM's ranking us #1 for 2013 draft...

Maiocco says this 2013 draft will likely see more time on the field and be far more productive than 2012...although thats kind of a no brainer, 6 picks in the first 4 rounds compared to 3 last year.

http://media.957thegame.com/a/74123116/matt-maiocco-recaps-the-49ers-2013-draft.htm
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't access the above article. What's the quick summary?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:

I can't access the above article. What's the quick summary?

Just a recap clip (4 minute vid) with Kiper, McShay, and Polian.

Kiper gave thumbs up to Ravens... McShay liked SD... Polian picked us.. said anytime you can fill 5 needs like that, you are almost assured of a return to playoffs."

Polian didn't like Cleveland, mostly for lack of picks... Kiper didn't like Buffalo's first 2 picks much... McShay didn't love Chicago's first picks..

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW there's a thread in the NFL Draft forum discussing the biggest steals in the draft.

Numerous posters have stated the following as steals: Carradine, Patton, Lattimore, and Lemonier. These are all stated by non-49er fans too. In other threads, Vance McDonald is well regarded too, but not a huge steal or reach. All our other picks from rounds 5-7 and UDFA aren't talked about.

OTOH, the consensus in other threads is that Eric Reid was a reach.

This all means little to nothing once the games start..just FWIW.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Psychlone

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
FWIW there's a thread in the NFL Draft forum discussing the biggest steals in the draft.

Numerous posters have stated the following as steals: Carradine, Patton, Lattimore, and Lemonier. These are all stated by non-49er fans too. In other threads, Vance McDonald is well regarded too, but not a huge steal or reach. All our other picks from rounds 5-7 and UDFA aren't talked about.

OTOH, the consensus in other threads is that Eric Reid was a reach.

This all means little to nothing once the games start..just FWIW.
A lot of Reid bashing because of the trade up but the fact is, if we used our first on Carradine and our second on Reid, the very same people would be saying Reid was a good selection. End the end, we got both of them which is all that really matters. The rest is just premature post draft over analysis. (Then again, what in the hell else are we going to talk about for the next three loooong months? Phonetics?) Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: