Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grade the 49ers 2013 draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which players do you guys see actually contributing this year? Obviously Eric Reid, and probably Vance McD. But what are your expectations fro guys like Tank, Patton, Lemonier, Lattimore, Dial?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
Which players do you guys see actually contributing this year? Obviously Eric Reid, and probably Vance McD. But what are your expectations fro guys like Tank, Patton, Lemonier, Lattimore, Dial?

I don't expect Lattimore to play until 2014.

As for Tank, it all depends when he gets healthy. Say he is ready to go by week 1, I expect him to get some time to spill McDonald/Smith.

Lemonier will get some time when we go to nickle as well.

Since Manningham will most likely start the season on the PUP list, Patton will get an opportunity to compete with Lockette/Williams/Jenkins for the 3rd WR spot. Anyone's guess if he out performs those guys in camp, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he contribute in his rookie season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Reid will start, McDonald will immediately be our new (and hopefully upgraded) Delanie Walker and be moved around the offense. Carradine and Lemonier get day 1 playing time in nickel pass rush sets, they grow into their DE and OLB roles in year 2. Patton could be our 3rd WR behind Crabs and Boldin with Manningham injured for now. Nick Moody on ST's.

Lattimore to PUP/IR, Dial will probably make the 53 but be inactive, same story for everyone else if they even make the 53.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Forge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give Baalke and the niners a lot of heat in the way they draft, but i have to say that i really loved this draft from our perspective. Though I really felt it was kind of eerie how we replaced our departed people with eerily similar prospects. did anyone else feel that way? I mean look, Eric Reid comparable was as a baby Dashon. Vance MacDonald was a tight end who lined up mostly in the slot in college (I believe Delanie was a college wr), who blocks very well but has suspect hands. Quentin Dial is like a slightly bigger version of RJF; a defensive line jackknife who can rotate through the ends or possibly the nose. It was really kind of weird. Anyway for each individual guy:

Eric Reid: Nobody except Reid can convince me that he was the second best safety in this draft. I just didn't see it all offseason. That being said, I am starting to believe that he was the best fit for our defense. And it's not like I didn't think he had potential. I like his measurables; quick and rangy, hits like a freight train. Needs to work on coverage instincts and skills in my opinion, and needs to become a better tackler. Its the latter that concerns me more than anything though because i think with our pass rush, the speed of our linebackers, and the fact that our corners are pretty freaking good, we are going to mask a lot of his coverage deficiencies at the start. He has more ability to be a coverage safety than Cyprien I think, and Elam as well for that matter. I know the bengals loved him, and from what i heard, the giants really liked him as well. I wouldn't have been surprised if he was high on the rams safety board either. seems he was quite the divisive prospect. I'm hopeful that he can transition to the nfl and be a starter right away.

Carradine- flat out one of the best picks in the nfl draft by any team. guy is going to be phenomenal. I have been on his bandwagon for a while, and i was super stoked we made this selection.

Macdonald - I may have preferred Kelce, but again, maybe the niners thought that even though Macdonald was more raw, he possessed a higher ceiling. I had them all ranked about the same, so it's really not a big deal to me. the one thing that has everyone concerned, his hands, I think are less of a factor then people think. Delanie was targeted what, 40 times last year? now factor in a reliable wr2 this year unlike last year in Boldin, the fact that Crabtree will now have an entire season with Kaep where he really picked it up and shone brightly the latter half of last year, plus our running backs and of course VD. I wouldn't be shocked if our te2, regardless of whether it had been delanie, kelce, ertz, or macdonald, gets only about 25 targets this year. I think Macdonald represented the best versatility out of the tight ends that we were looking at; he can slide out, play on the interior, maybe even slide into the backfield ala Walker.

Lemon-waaaaaaaaa - At first I thought I preferred Okafor just because of the superior college production; but then, when i thought about it, i realized that you can't really compare the two. The sec is a much more physical conference with less space; the big 12 is a much more wide open conference with lots of open space and spreading the field. Lemon-waaaaaaa has some real explosion; he needs a little more technique, but he's fast enough to close after he gets that initial burst if he can get past the line. love this pick.

Patton - Absolute steal. He'll basically redshirt like lattimore this year i think, but I'm hopeful that in year two, he'll be ready to go and allow us to let Boldin walk. That's how much i like this kids game. I'm shocked we got him so late. Yes, Keenan Allen would have been nice, but I was pimping Patton as the best overall wide receiver remaining after Allen was picked and we made our Lemon-waaaaaaa selection, so I'm definitely not mad at our missing out on Allen.

Lattimore - I don't even need to address this. The minimal risk, the incredible reward...next please.

Quentin Dial - i'm still a little surprised we went here, but I can see the appeal. Defensive line versatility, good rotational guy. There were bigger name prospects we could have gone with, but this was like your "meat and potatoes" type pick.

The rest for the most part are camp fodder; I wish we had taken a chance on some of the bigger prospects that fell, but i think that we had plans in place for some of our UDFA's. I would have preferred taking a chance on Matt Scott over BJ Daniels, and of course, Jordan Poyer would have been a nice addition, but overall, I couldn't be happier with this draft.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
straighthate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't leave Boldin out! Add him and the third we picked up for next year and I'd say we had our best draft in a while. Of course, we'll see how these guys do!
kingnothing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
kingnothing wrote:
I was expecting the team to make more trades. In particular, moving up on day 3 and trading for future draft picks. 11 rookies are not making the team. I dislike the B.J. Daniels pick. At best he competes for the #3 QB position. I also dislike the Marcus Lattimore pick. The team was close to winning a Super Bowl. I would have preferred someone that could help the team this season. He has a history of injuries at the RB position. I know Frank Gore had a serious knee injuries in college. But, as a good as Frank Gore is when healthy, he has missed his share of games. I hope the 49ers win the superbowl and do not need Lattimore this year. Then, he proves me wrong and is able to stay healthy and be a contributor from the RB position. I like the Vance McDonald pick. His athleticism provides Kap with another receiving option from the TE position. He should be able to create mismatches against opposing LBs/CBs.

Out of curiosity - exactly which 5th round prospect were you expecting to make an impact on this team anyway? Just about every position on the team had an established starter or an established backup with the exception of FS (which we filled with Reid), back-up TE (which we filled with McDonald), back-up DL (Carradine/Dial), and back-up pass-rusher (Lemonier/Carradine). There were absolutely no QBs, RBs, WRs, TEs, OL, DL, LBs, CBs, or Ss available that were going to make any contribution to this team. The best QB would have been at most a 3rd stringer. The best RB (Lattimore), is 4th. The best WR would have been at BEST competing with Patton for the 5th or 6th string spot. The best TE would likely be competing with Garrett Celek to make the roster. The best OL would be the 8th offensive lineman on the team, likely competing with Joe Looney to even be active (Boone would still have been the backup OT in every scenario).

On defense, the DL prospect we wanted we found in the next round, and still will compete to even be active behind Justin/Dorsey/McDonald/Ian Williams/Dobbs/Tukuafu/Carradine. The best ILB we could have found could have at best replaced Larry Grant over Skuta, but that's merely a special teams guy as Willis/Bowman aren't coming off the field if healthy. The best CB would have been behind at LEAST Rogers/Brown/Culliver and probably behind Nnamdi/Cox. And no safety would have likely found their way over Reid or Whitner to start, or CJ Spillman/Darcel McBath as the extra defensive backs. So who were you expecting to find there?

[b]Edit: Also - see the 2012 draft for how much we need our draft picks to come in and play right away.
[/b]

How do you know that none of the guys could have made a contribution? My line of thinking is that anything less than a Super Bowl Championship in 2013 is a disappointment. Therefore, a healthy backup on the OL, CB, or someone than can play special teams is more valuable to the 2013 team than an injured RB. We saw how valuable special teams players are in the SB. RB is one of the deepest positions on the team. I was thinking the team would pass on RBs this year. But, I understand why the team drafted Lattimore; future potential.

Comparing the two offeasons is comparing apples to oranges. The team had a larger roster turnover this offseason than last year. Different needs, different positions of focus, and different players. I expect to see rookies on the field this year.

I know my opinion is unpopular. But, it is an opinion. Shocked
Swift21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give this draft an A. I'm very pleased with the defensive picks.

Sig credit goes to IDOG_det
SoS wrote:
Pete is just an arrogant wanna-be Jim Harbaugh but he's just not as smart.
Smile
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingnothing wrote:
How do you know that none of the guys could have made a contribution? My line of thinking is that anything less than a Super Bowl Championship in 2013 is a disappointment. Therefore, a healthy backup on the OL, CB, or someone than can play special teams is more valuable to the 2013 team than an injured RB. We saw how valuable special teams players are in the SB. RB is one of the deepest positions on the team. I was thinking the team would pass on RBs this year. But, I understand why the team drafted Lattimore; future potential.

Comparing the two offeasons is comparing apples to oranges. The team had a larger roster turnover this offseason than last year. Different needs, different positions of focus, and different players. I expect to see rookies on the field this year.

The question I asked is WHICH one would have - what player picked at #131 was going to play over the players we do have out of who was available. Your opinion on Lattimore or who you would have wanted is your opinion, and yours to have, and one I'm not trying to knock at all (and I apologize if it's coming off that way, this is more of my dissenting opinion). I'm asking who you feel would have contributed and what would give you that indication that they would have?

And we actually have the same amount of roster turnover, almost identically in 2012 and coming in 2013:

Blake Costanzo (Special Teams)
Braylon Edwards (Rotation)
Colin Jones (Special Teams)
Josh Morgan (Starter)
Moran Norris (Rotation)
Justin Peelle (Rotation)
Reggie Smith (Rotation)
Adam Snyder (Starter)
Madieu Williams (Rotation)

Non-Draft Additions: Perrish Cox (Special Teams), Leonard Davis (Rotation), Mario Manningham (Rotation), Randy Moss (Starter)

2012 Net Openings: 1 Starter, 3 Rotation Players, 1 Speical Teams Player

Leonard Davis (Rotation)
Ted Ginn, Jr. (Special Teams)
Dashon Goldson (Starter)
Tavares Goodson (Special Teams)
Larry Grant (Special Teams)
Ricky Jean Francois (Rotation)
Randy Moss (Starter)
Isaac Sopoaga (Starter)
Alex Smith (Back-up QB)
Delanie Walker (Rotation)

Non-Draft Additions (Expected to Contribute): Nnamdi Asomugha (Rotation), Anquan Boldin (Starter), Craig Dahl (Special Teams), Glenn Dorsey (Starter/Rotation), Colt McCoy (Back-up QB), Dan Skuta (Special Teams),

2013 Net Openings: 1-2 Starters*, 2-3 Rotation Players*, 1 Special Teams Player

*Depends on how we use Dorsey. Either we have 2 starter openings and 2 rotation players if you count Dorsey as a DL rotation, or 1 starter and 3 rotation players if you count Dorsey as our new starting NT.

The only difference between the two years - in 2012 our one net starting opening (Adam Snyder) we filled with someone already on the team (Alex Boone). This year, our one net opening (Dashon Goldson) we're likely replacing with a rookie (Eric Reid), which is why he'll contribute right away as opposed to Jenkins, who had 4 players in front of him already. Our rotational players leaving left open some holes for some other players to contribute.

Now, I'm not guaranteeing that guys like Patton, Dial, or even any of the late round guys WON'T be able to earn solid playing time, I'm saying that it would be completely out of the ordinary for the way we've handled things. Aldon didn't start playing until game 4 of his rookie season, and he was the player we drafted with the highest need that year (pass-rush). Last year Jenkins, James, and Looney filed right into the back of the line at their respective positions, and only started to see their time increase due to injuries. It wasn't necessarily because they weren't good players (see James, who played very well once inserted), it was just the team doesn't give away roles on the team.

We're a team that's built very well from top to bottom, so most of our draft picks become picks designed to build only for the future.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 21st All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #20, Warrick Dunn: 39
*Yards needed to enter Top 15: 767
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
I think an OT could make the roster. I assume that if Davis or Staley got hurt Boone would move over. But o-lines are often better than the sum of their parts when they work well together. I'd really prefer to keep Boone at G and have backup tackle that was as good as our backup guards so we could leave Boone at G and just put in our good backup OT.

Do we even have backup OTs on the roster? Laughing

Absolutely one could make the roster. The problem with the Lattimore pick wasn't that he wouldn't make the roster, it was that he wouldn't contribute. Nobody we picked up at that spot was going to be contributing to this team in 2013 in any significant manner.

Well of cours most of our strters are set. But there's always injury to consider. If a tackle got hurt Boone would move over and presumably Kilgore would take over at G. The better alternative would be to be able to leave Boonne at G ad put in a backup tackle/ So for a guy to contribute at tacckle he'd only have to be a better tackel than Kilgore is at G. Maybe not even quite as good because I think moving Boone would be a negative on top of losing a starting OT.

I'm talking about an injury scenario here of course, but I think it's easy to think this team could use a good backup OT and that that guy wuld have a chance to contiribute

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
I think an OT could make the roster. I assume that if Davis or Staley got hurt Boone would move over. But o-lines are often better than the sum of their parts when they work well together. I'd really prefer to keep Boone at G and have backup tackle that was as good as our backup guards so we could leave Boone at G and just put in our good backup OT.

Do we even have backup OTs on the roster? Laughing

Absolutely one could make the roster. The problem with the Lattimore pick wasn't that he wouldn't make the roster, it was that he wouldn't contribute. Nobody we picked up at that spot was going to be contributing to this team in 2013 in any significant manner.

Well of cours most of our strters are set. But there's always injury to consider. If a tackle got hurt Boone would move over and presumably Kilgore would take over at G. The better alternative would be to be able to leave Boonne at G ad put in a backup tackle/ So for a guy to contribute at tacckle he'd only have to be a better tackel than Kilgore is at G. Maybe not even quite as good because I think moving Boone would be a negative on top of losing a starting OT.

I'm talking about an injury scenario here of course, but I think it's easy to think this team could use a good backup OT and that that guy wuld have a chance to contiribute

I 100% agree with you that it would be better, but from the perspective of what's better in 2013 - Alex Boone/Daniel Kilgore, or a 5th round prospect or later - I'm going to have to say I'd be more comfortable with the first. If we had picked up a 2nd round OT, then yeah - I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a rookie tackle going in. This year, it's going to be Boone sliding/Kilgore stepping up. Next year, a swing tackle should certainly be on our radar (unless we're currently thinking Wiggins/Bykowski/Marquardt can be developed to take over that role).

I guess basically the question is - am I more comfortable with Daniel Kilgore or this 5th round T prospect as our primary backup this year? I pick Kilgore. Now that we've picked no 5th round prospect as our 4th round comp. selection, the question becomes somewhat moot - as the answer is most certainly Kilgore over Wiggins/Bykowski/Marquardt.

kingnothing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
kingnothing wrote:

The question I asked is WHICH one would have - what player picked at #131 was going to play over the players we do have out of who was available. Your opinion on Lattimore or who you would have wanted is your opinion, and yours to have, and one I'm not trying to knock at all (and I apologize if it's coming off that way, this is more of my dissenting opinion). I'm asking who you feel would have contributed and what would give you that indication that they would have?

And we actually have the same amount of roster turnover, almost identically in 2012 and coming in 2013:

Blake Costanzo (Special Teams)
Braylon Edwards (Rotation)
Colin Jones (Special Teams)
Josh Morgan (Starter)
Moran Norris (Rotation)
Justin Peelle (Rotation)
Reggie Smith (Rotation)
Adam Snyder (Starter)
Madieu Williams (Rotation)

Non-Draft Additions: Perrish Cox (Special Teams), Leonard Davis (Rotation), Mario Manningham (Rotation), Randy Moss (Starter)

2012 Net Openings: 1 Starter, 3 Rotation Players, 1 Speical Teams Player

Leonard Davis (Rotation)
Ted Ginn, Jr. (Special Teams)
Dashon Goldson (Starter)
Tavares Goodson (Special Teams)
Larry Grant (Special Teams)
Ricky Jean Francois (Rotation)
Randy Moss (Starter)
Isaac Sopoaga (Starter)
Alex Smith (Back-up QB)
Delanie Walker (Rotation)

Non-Draft Additions (Expected to Contribute): Nnamdi Asomugha (Rotation), Anquan Boldin (Starter), Craig Dahl (Special Teams), Glenn Dorsey (Starter/Rotation), Colt McCoy (Back-up QB), Dan Skuta (Special Teams),

2013 Net Openings: 1-2 Starters*, 2-3 Rotation Players*, 1 Special Teams Player

*Depends on how we use Dorsey. Either we have 2 starter openings and 2 rotation players if you count Dorsey as a DL rotation, or 1 starter and 3 rotation players if you count Dorsey as our new starting NT.

The only difference between the two years - in 2012 our one net starting opening (Adam Snyder) we filled with someone already on the team (Alex Boone). This year, our one net opening (Dashon Goldson) we're likely replacing with a rookie (Eric Reid), which is why he'll contribute right away as opposed to Jenkins, who had 4 players in front of him already. Our rotational players leaving left open some holes for some other players to contribute.

Now, I'm not guaranteeing that guys like Patton, Dial, or even any of the late round guys WON'T be able to earn solid playing time, I'm saying that it would be completely out of the ordinary for the way we've handled things. Aldon didn't start playing until game 4 of his rookie season, and he was the player we drafted with the highest need that year (pass-rush). Last year Jenkins, James, and Looney filed right into the back of the line at their respective positions, and only started to see their time increase due to injuries. It wasn't necessarily because they weren't good players (see James, who played very well once inserted), it was just the team doesn't give away roles on the team.

We're a team that's built very well from top to bottom, so most of our draft picks become picks designed to build only for the future.

I do not have a specific player in mind. I do not watch nearly enough college football to make to an educated analysis. The only college football that interests me is my alma mater. But, that is another topic for another discussion.

You clearly follow the team roster and depth more than the average fan, like myself.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingnothing wrote:
I do not have a specific player in mind. I do not watch nearly enough college football to make to an educated analysis. The only college football that interests me is my alma mater. But, that is another topic for another discussion.

You clearly follow the team roster and depth more than the average fan, like myself.

Okay then. We'll just be left to agree to disagree. At that point in the very bottom of the 4th, I don't believe there would have been anyone that was going to contribute in any meaningful way this year, so to find the best available talent for the future was a giant win, IMO.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
kingnothing wrote:

Okay then. We'll just be left to agree to disagree. At that point in the very bottom of the 4th, I don't believe there would have been anyone that was going to contribute in any meaningful way this year, so to find the best available talent for the future was a giant win, IMO.

I see the points both of you are making. If Lattimore goes on IR than ANY other player we drafted, no matter which one it was, would have a higher probability of helping us win the SB in 2013. But, drafting is about considering in their totallity risks, probabilities, and balancce. If the"balance" part of our consideraton was that we cared 100% about 2013 and zero about the future than an OT would probably be a better choice.. But of course we care about the future too. So that's where Y2's point comes in that the incremental chance of our winning the SB in 2013 becasue of the contributions of that 5th pick are so slim that it is not worth giving up the increased chances of being better in future years.

Y2 - I think the way you are stating your point is that there is no one that could have helped us in 2013.. Chances weren't high, but certainly not zero, and not high enough to offset the huge longterm benefit of having a great RB is Lattimore can recover from his injury.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My final thoughts on the draft, and our picks:

Eric Reid: certainly the most important pick of the draft in terms of 2013 production. We need this kid to step in and be a good starter from week 1, and that is a tall order, but he's got a lot going for him. He's got about the same size/strength combination as Goldson, but he's faster. Reid clocked at a 4.4 - 4.5 in the offseason, while Goldson was a 4.6 guy coming out. We'll see if that translates into better range in coverage, but Reid definitely has the potential to be a superior cover guy to Goldson, who was good, but not great in coverage, and got exposed a bit when the pass rush sputtered due to injuries late last season. To be perfectly honest, I think this defense always flattered Dashon a bit, and I think the FO shares my sentiments. Reid is a similar player who played a similar role on a top college program, and I think this defense is very well-suited to making the most of his talents while covering his flaws. He's also apparently a smart man and a hard worker, he and Harbaugh have a history, and I gather than his mom works in the Bay Area and that he wanted to be here. Seems like an almost perfect fit. I wish a trade-up hadn't been necessary, but I think that it probably was, and the price of the deal was good, so it's hard to knock the FO for that. Given how many NFL teams apparently liked Reid more than the press "experts" did, I find it hard to call the pick a reach, even if it wasn't spectacular value, either. Reid was something of a need pick, but when you're a superbowl contender and have to fill holes with cheap starting talent, drafting for need is simply what you do. B+

Tank Carradine: I was really pumped when I saw that we had picked him, and the trade down was an absolute fleecing of Tennessee. Based just on his game tape last year, this kid could have been a top-10 pick. There is risk with the knee injury and the fact that he was only a one year starter, but Tank was extremely productive and well-rounded at FSU, and fits the Justin Smith mold quite well. My biggest concern going into the draft was neither safety nor tight end (though we obviously needed starters at both positions), but rather finding someone we could groom as a long-term replacement for Justin, who is hugely important to our defense. Tank is that man. If any pick in this draft is likely to be a real home run, this is probably it. Very excited about Tank; my favorite pick of the draft. A+

Vance McDonald: I don't really get why some people are down on this pick. Travis Kelce is not a better prospect than this kid, and Zack Ertz is soft as hell as a blocker, and just isn't what we need in this system. McDonald is a man-child who plays tough, aggressive ball, and has a good chance to be better than Delanie if he progresses at all as an in-line blocker or pass-catcher, and he's got the tools to do both of those things. At worst, I think this is a bigger, stronger version of Delanie, and there is upside there for a lot more. Like Reid, Vance is another guy who should be a week 1 starter for the 49ers, and his college experience playing basically Delanie's role at Rice should make for a nice, smooth transition to the 49ers system. This pick was a good combination of need, fit, and upside, and the value was fine, as mid-to-late 2nd is where he was projected to go. I like it. B+

Corey Lemonier: Jeez, how did this kid fall to the bottom of the 3rd round? Terrific athlete who reads the play very well and doesn't have an ounce of quit in him, I thought Lemonier was a top-50 talent this year. This was just a pure value pick, though we did need somebody good to back up Ahmad/Aldon, and Lemonier is certainly that. He'll probably need a little while to transition to 3-4 OLB like Aldon did, but the sky is really the limit here, and I could see him surprising a lot of blockers this year as a pass rusher in nickel packages. My second favorite pick after Tank. A

aside: It's a somewhat artificial distinction to make, but I think the Tank, Lemonier and Dial selections show pretty clearly that the 49ers are not planning to transition to a 4-3 base anytime soon. The FO stated clearly that Tank is there to fill the DE role, and Lemonier is definitely most projectable in the NFL as a 3-4 OLB. Dial fits the team's philosophy of drafting space-eating NT's low and letting them develop, like we did with Ice. Teams that have strong continuity of system (think Pittsburgh, Baltimore, the Giants and New England) tend to do best at drafting and developing players in the NFL, and I think the 49ers are clearly in that category now.

Quinton Patton: Another pick who could have gone at least a round higher. He's not going to beat out Crabs or Boldin, but Patton could realistically win the #3 job right out of camp. He's got all the tools to be a strong #2 wideout in the NFL, and he's got a lot of polish. Even if he doesn't see the field that much in 2013, there is a high chance, I think, that he'll be ready to take the #2 role from Boldin (who we probably cannot afford to, and do not plan to re-sign) in 2014. An excellent combination of getting value and planning for the future. I'm also pleased and amused that the team drafted guys named Tank and Patton this year. If this draft class ends up being good, we can call them the 49th Armored Division. I'll give this pick another solid A.

Marcus Lattimore: We shall see. If this kid ends up being the second coming of Frank Gore, it will be one hell of a story. His last injury was freakin' gruesome, so there are no guarantees, but the team seems to really believe in its medical staff, and...there is a chance this could turn into something special. I'm happy for Lattimore that the 49ers took him even if he doesn't end up being a star for us, simply because I don't think he could have gone to a better situation, and I think he deserves a shot with an organization that will take care of him. Hard to grade this one, but I think it was worth the gamble given the resources that the team already has. A-

Quinton Dial: If he can make the team out of camp, then I think he'll end up being useful down the road as another Ice. He's a project with a huge body who didn't really play all that much at Bama, so he'll either be something, or he won't. I'll give it a C+.

Nick Moody: This guy is pretty limited, but why the hell not draft a stud special teams player in the 6th round? How many other 6th rounders would even have a chance of making the team? We all know from the experience of the last two years that the difference between winning and losing in the NFL playoffs hangs on a knife's edge. If you can improve at any position, even special teams gunner, with a 6th round pick, then that is a good selection. I think fans are going to like this kid. B-

Thing 1, Thing 2 & Thing 3: camp fodder destined to be forgotten, in all likelihood. A bit puzzling that Baalke didn't flip at least the one non-comp 7th rounder for a pick next year, but he said the phones just weren't ringing, so maybe no deal was there. I'm not going to cry about that, and I don't really care about these players. If one of them surprises, great, if not, oh well. C

Overall: It will obviously be a few years before we really know what we've got in the 49th AD, but we could have hardly hoped for a group of players with a better need/talent combination than this one. This is a very aggressive FO, and they were swinging for the fences with a lot of these picks, especially Lemonier, who I think says more about the FO's approach to drafting than any other pick this year. While it's unlikely that they will all be stars, we only need a couple of them to turn into something in order for this to be an excellent draft, and I see a good chance of that happening. I like that the FO goes out and drafts aggressive, highly athletic players. These are not your father's finesse 49ers, but rather a team set up to bully a lot of opponents around the field on both sides of the ball, reminiscent of the Steelers in the last decade or, dare I say it, the 90's Cowboys. Losing the Superbowl hurt, but I really like the direction of this team, and an certain that we will be back in the big game before long. Overall, I can't give this draft anything other than an A.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
I'm also pleased and amused that the team drafted guys named Tank and Patton this year. If this draft class ends up being good, we can call them the 49th Armored Division.

You have my vote for forum MVP, an award that we don't have or give out.

And big9erfan - yeah, I agree. Not a zero percent chance. Just a chance that's very low that I would bet heavily against. Technically, even Bykowski has a chance in the 7th round, but once again it's not one I'd bet on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: