Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

95th overall pick: DE Sam Montgomery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jch1911

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting note on Sam via FO's SackSeer

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/sackseer-2013
kidnextdoor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dam I look so stupid getting so excited about Montgomery...
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidnextdoor wrote:
dam I look so stupid getting so excited about Montgomery...

Don't worry. You are not the only one. I expected him to contribute for us right away, and even I was skeptical that he was going from DE to OLB, but it looks like he is a long way from contributing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone say Willie Jefferson has more upside than him? I really didn't see all the plays because I was busy or out of town, but when I did see the games I saw him do really nice. Although most looked like he went unblocked he showed some nice ability to fly towards the ball. Would anyone agree with me?
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cole416 wrote:
Would anyone say Willie Jefferson has more upside than him? I really didn't see all the plays because I was busy or out of town, but when I did see the games I saw him do really nice. Although most looked like he went unblocked he showed some nice ability to fly towards the ball. Would anyone agree with me?

Jefferson looked real good to me. Honestly I didn't even notice when Montgomery was in.
Cole416

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Cole416 wrote:

Jefferson looked real good to me. Honestly I didn't even notice when Montgomery was in.
I don't even think I saw him do anything special at all. I was iffy about the pick when it happened but now we can tell how he is a bust.
SWTexan80

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I sober up I realize my previous post wasn't very forum/football friendly. My apologies.

Last edited by SWTexan80 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:37 am; edited 2 times in total
treece300e

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cole416 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Cole416 wrote:

I don't even think I saw him do anything special at all. I was iffy about the pick when it happened but now we can tell how he is a bust.

I think that it may be too early to say that Montgomery is a bust. He hasn't looked good in preseason, but he's being asked to do more than rush the passer now. He looks pretty lost in coverage, that's the biggest knock I had on him. His pass rush doesn't look horrible, but he definitely needs more work. The issue with him is that he's not currently strong enough to bull rush, nor is he fast enough to bend and get around the corner. Typically one move sets up the other, so having neither right now is pretty rough on him. As others have said, he was "house money" when we drafted him, and it was always a boom-or-bust pick. I think we need more than preseason to accurately judge him, but as of right now, he certainly doesn't look like he'll be a difference maker anytime soon.
Cole416

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
Cole416 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Cole416 wrote:

I think that it may be too early to say that Montgomery is a bust. He hasn't looked good in preseason, but he's being asked to do more than rush the passer now. He looks pretty lost in coverage, that's the biggest knock I had on him. His pass rush doesn't look horrible, but he definitely needs more work. The issue with him is that he's not currently strong enough to bull rush, nor is he fast enough to bend and get around the corner. Typically one move sets up the other, so having neither right now is pretty rough on him. As others have said, he was "house money" when we drafted him, and it was always a boom-or-bust pick. I think we need more than preseason to accurately judge him, but as of right now, he certainly doesn't look like he'll be a difference maker anytime soon.
You're right. I really don't know what I was thinking saying he was already a bust. He just doesn't seem like he will get the playing time that he would need to prove to us that he is worth that pick we used on him. He isn't a special teamer, and a 3rd or 4th OLB won't get him much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: