Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

95th overall pick: DE Sam Montgomery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YellowSCRE4MS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidnextdoor wrote:
buckwild wrote:
This is the only head scratcher pick so far unless they targeted Williams from Missouri southern, and Ravens took him right ahead of us.

Why is Jesse Williams from Alabama dropping?

I am thinking that they plan on using him as a OLB.... and thats not a bad idea, Brooks Reed and Mercilus could use some help, although its the strong side that needs help, not so sure how good he is going to be against the run...

If they were targeting Brandon Williams then they could have taken him @ 89 ....... Brennan Williams would have been there @ 95

Everything I've read it says that he is a stout run defender. His head just wasn't in the right place.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys so far i give this draft a B+ only bec we dont know who we are going to get in the middle of our defense I am hoping for three more players on defense and two more on offense...

2 ILB
1 DT

1TE
1RB

in all honesty if thats what the rest of the draft looks like then i would call this draft a solid A and say lets see what our new boys can do. I can officially say that Houston BigTen infatuation is now on players from South Carolina. 3 of the four were born in that state. Montgomery and Swearinger played together in high school. it will be interesting to see how the rest of our draft goes. Proud to be a Texan. I have been watching it with my two buddies who are Rams and Cowboy fans. The Rams fan and i have been making fun of every Cowboy pick. Rams on the other hand seem scary now with the draft they are having.
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
jch1911

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyon1 wrote:
I can officially say that Houston BigTen infatuation is now on players from South Carolina. 3 of the four were born in that state. Montgomery and Swearinger played together in high school. it will be interesting to see how the rest of our draft goes.

Seeing as how the team owner is a former Gamecock, I am surprised there are not more (the other) USC alums on our roster Wink
kidnextdoor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Montgomery is a solid pick and I think he will turn out to be the steal of this draft.....

What ever he said at the combine were taken way out of proportion, I know that draft prospects are not supposed to say those things... but his mistake was saying those things and what he did was not that bad....

Really people freaking out about 5000$ bet with his team mate, I see that as a positive he is competitive and just made a friendly wager with a fellow teammate, lets say for example he said the bet was for 100$... would anyone care then, also keep in mind he was projected to be a top 10 pick at that time and 5000$ was not a big deal for him

Saying that he put less than 100% effort against some opponents is a bit worrying but I understand it, he is not the first guy to do that he was just young and stupid enough to say it at a press conference... Cushing and Watt are going to set him straight if he comes to training camp with that kind of attitude.... I can see some very competitive and talented players getting bored with their competition in the college level but in the NFL there is not going to be any lack of competition even from the bad teams!
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this pick. I'm not really worried about the betting issues or stupid things he said at the Combine, I think Watt, Smith, and Cushing will keep him focused on his job. He added 30 lbs. this season to play DE and still ran a 4.78 in the 40 at the Combine at 6'03" and 262 lbs.. I forsee the Texans having him lose about 10-15 lbs. and with better physical conditioning and loss of weight I think he'll pick up some speed. He's still raw but he's got good potential. It's a possibility the Texans could move Reed inside and play Mercilus and Montgomery at OLB.
kidnextdoor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you that don't know.... Sam Montgomery made a bet with his teammate Barkevious Mingo that the one drafted 2nd among those 2 would owe the other 5000$....

I am okay with with the bet, the only stupid things was telling that to reporters, well good that he did so he fell to the late 3rd round!

If i know anything about Kubiak there is going to be no betting going on......

Last edited by kidnextdoor on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
kidnextdoor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
Quote:
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans 1m
Herring: we'd like to start him at the strong outside linebacker position.

I forgot he was the guy who admitted that he took plays off at LSU because against certain competition it was not needed. Hopefully Watt set him straight.

And he admitted gambling on games with teammates.... in the wake of Bounty-Gate, not a good idea

texansfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am okay with the pick. He is a bit of a risk but the team seems to feel like his reputation is overblown and he is more naive than anything else. So from a value perspective we got a great one at the end of the third.

Great work by our boys thus far.
longhorntexan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Herring's quotes on him and I tend to agree. Said that he's "naive" and is saying things that is true for most when he should be keeping his mouth shut.

I do remember him being on that list of players that the LSU coaches essentially blacklisted and that's a little worrisome.

In regards to betting, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I know Jeffcoat and Okafor at Texas had a running bet on who would get more sacks at the end of the year. It's just two good friends adding more personal incentive to the game, a rivalry of sorts. Probably more detrimental to the team than the player's character.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this pick. In 3 years he had 32.5 tackles for loss and 19 sacks. He is explosive and a good pass rusher. Not to mention very good vs the run. Will compete in the rotation and IMO by seasons end, you will see Reed inside more and more with Mercilus and Montgomery at OLB.

Who cares about the crap he did. Cushing and Watt will keep this man on lock down.
kidnextdoor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YellowSCRE4MS wrote:
kidnextdoor wrote:
buckwild wrote:
This is the only head scratcher pick so far unless they targeted Williams from Missouri southern, and Ravens took him right ahead of us.

Why is Jesse Williams from Alabama dropping?

I am thinking that they plan on using him as a OLB.... and thats not a bad idea, Brooks Reed and Mercilus could use some help, although its the strong side that needs help, not so sure how good he is going to be against the run...

If they were targeting Brandon Williams then they could have taken him @ 89 ....... Brennan Williams would have been there @ 95

Everything I've read it says that he is a stout run defender. His head just wasn't in the right place.

I am sorry you are right .... i confused him with Barkevious Mingo when I watched game tape, yeah he did play on the strong side for LSU..... but still don't think that he is good against the run.... If he plays this season then I think that it will be on the weak side...
jch1911

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you should gloss over the betting incidents.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/sam-montgomery-effort-bets-lsu/176314

(1) It shows a lack of awareness and a great deal of immaturity
(2) It is slippery slope when you start to place monetary wages on your performance (or the performance of others)
(3) The Bounty-Gate participants admitted that they began with bets on their own performance --> then the performance of others --> then rewards who get gets the best hit / knocks the snot out of the opposing team --> bets / rewards for knocking out opposing players (to be fair and unfortunately, I have seen similar betting pools at a variety of levels and in different sports --> doesn't mean I condone them)

That being said, Sam Montgomery is a young guy who potentially has a bright future in front of him. I do hope we have strong characters in the Texans' lockerroom who can set this kid on the right path because he does appear to be very talented.

But there is a reason that this talented young man slipped to the bottom of the 3rd round and all seems to be character based. There are ALOT of temptations in Houston (#2 in adult entertainment clubs! - woohoo) and the weak can easily be led astray.

(Steps off soapbox)
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys it's a great pick for a 3rd round comp pick, it's not like he was our 1st rounder

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
20 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Guys it's a great pick for a 3rd round comp pick, it's not like he was our 1st rounder

That's the way I look at it - this pick was playing with house money, to borrow a gambling phrase. We'd like it to play out, but it was a compensatory pick at a position of strength at OLB.

I don't LOVE the pick, would like to see an ILB or CB at the spot...but I'm not going to hang my head over the pick. He's got some upside, so why not?

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFF on Sam Montgomery (from IDP fantasy look)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/04/26/fantasy-impact-houston-selects-sam-montgomery/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: