Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

95th overall pick: DE Sam Montgomery
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: 95th overall pick: DE Sam Montgomery Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/sam-montgomery?id=2540149

Quote:
Bottom Line
This lean All-SEC pick and Ted Hendricks Award finalist used very good quickness and a high motor to rack up nine sacks and chase down ball carriers all over the field in 2011. Like his high-profile teammate, Barkevious Mingo, Montgomery’s progression as a defensive player stagnated during his LSU career. Montgomery has some limitations as a pass rusher, but is a high motor player who holds his ground well against the run and constantly making tackles in pursuit. He figures to go on the second day of the NFL draft, projecting to a second or early third round pick.

If he can make the transition to an OLB in the 3/4 then I would like the pick.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still have to shore up the middle of the defense. Would have loved Williams from Alabama, and Williams from Missouri southern.

How does Baltimore draft at the end of each round every year, and get these great players.

So frustrating!! Need NT and ILB tomorrow to combat what Tennessee is doing building that massive OL.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans 1m

Herring: we'd like to start him at the strong outside linebacker position.

I forgot he was the guy who admitted that he took plays off at LSU because against certain competition it was not needed. Hopefully Watt set him straight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Quote:
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans 1m
Herring: we'd like to start him at the strong outside linebacker position.

I forgot he was the guy who admitted that he took plays off at LSU because against certain competition it was not needed. Hopefully Watt set him straight.

And he admitted gambling on games with teammates.... in the wake of Bounty-Gate, not a good idea
buckwild

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only head scratcher pick so far unless they targeted Williams from Missouri southern, and Ravens took him right ahead of us.

Why is Jesse Williams from Alabama dropping?

kidnextdoor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at one point he was projected to be a top 10 pick.... was looking at the ESPN big board yesterday and wondering why the hell he was dropped to 4th/5th round?.... I also thought that it would be nice to have him if we could not get Arthur Brown.....

Not a bad selection.... Although I am a bit frustrated as to the middle of the defense, who the hell is our starting NT.... looks like Earl Mitchell is going to be our guy and Sharpton or Dobbins are going to start along side Cushing....
mse326

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
This is the only head scratcher pick so far unless they targeted Williams from Missouri southern, and Ravens took him right ahead of us.

Likely concerns over his knee

#JDI
buckwild

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
buckwild wrote:

But still it is the 3rd Round on a comp pick. I would rather have him than a guy that took plays off and bet on games.

bunnyracin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite pick of the day. Great value at end of third round

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
mse326 wrote:
buckwild wrote:

But still it is the 3rd Round on a comp pick. I would rather have him than a guy that took plays off and bet on games.

You can potentially fix those problems though. If you have bad knees, that will be a nuisance for a career.

adopt-a-texan
ryan griffin, te: 2 receptions, 18 yards, 2 tackles
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his quotes just now he seems to have taken a liking to Antonio and see him as a mentor. He also said in his time here visiting it felt like home.
kidnextdoor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:

I am thinking that they plan on using him as a OLB.... and thats not a bad idea, Brooks Reed and Mercilus could use some help, although its the strong side that needs help, not so sure how good he is going to be against the run...

If they were targeting Brandon Williams then they could have taken him @ 89 ....... Brennan Williams would have been there @ 95
mse326

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
mse326 wrote:
buckwild wrote:

1. Herring said they saw no issues when watching tape, so I don't know what to make of his statements.

2. I guarantee they looked into it, but here is what's important. A) If it wasn't with a bookee/Las Vegas it isn't the betting that is banned, B) Bounty gate was about pay to INJURE, not incentives, C) to the extent any betting/payment for plays (that are not about injuries) implicates the salary cap, that is only if the coaches are involved. Players make bets with each other all the time. There is no problem with it.

3. Knee problems can't be fixed in the same way

4. Williams doesn't have the home run potential that Montgomery does. He is nothing but a space eater. Nothing to get excited about. If you are going to take a chance at least make it one where the pay off is worth it.

#JDI
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought this up as a possibility pre draft. He'll be a great rotational player for us. The theme of this draft seems to be increasing the physicality of the lineup.

LORK88
jch1911

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
2. I guarantee they looked into it, but here is what's important. A) If it wasn't with a bookee/Las Vegas it isn't the betting that is banned.

Sorry, but that's flat out wrong. The NFL may not be AS concerned, but it is CLEARLY against NCAA rules. It also indicates a player who sees themself as potentially above the rules. If they do once (or multiple times apparently), there is a chance that it can happen again.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Behind+the+Blue+Disk/Behind+the+Blue+Disk+-+Gambling+on+College+Sports

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sdsu/genrel/auto_pdf/gambling.pdf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: