Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

80th pick: S J.J. Wilcox
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigD88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just from the quick few videos I've seen of him, Wilcox DOES tend to lunge-tackle - almost like Pat Watkins from several years ago.
Nothing terrible and I also really like this pick. Being that it was his first year on defense, I doubt he's too entrenched in that bad habit an he can change it for the better.

KingofSTATS wrote:

Witten is just too slow and nonathletic to be a dominant force in the receiving game.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
LOL @ mocking a former scout then putting out your pretend scouting reports ... didnt you say a couple hours ago that all we need in this scheme is a guy who can stand there and pop someone? Well crap go get Roy Wilkiams and Taylor Mays and were money... lol

Is that not what everyone here is doing - posting their own thoughts and "scouting reports" on the plyers we selected, didn't select, or hope we select? Razz

I at least put a lot of thought and review into what I post, especially when it comes to prospects we draft.

And if you watch Wilcox - not his highlight reels, which will NEVER show negative plays, oviously - he blows a lot of tackles by diving at people or using poor form. You can go see for yourself man. It's pretty clear as day when you see him lunge and miss, or lunge, grab a leg, and get slipped anyway.

And what Broaddus said, was that Wilcox is a WILLING tackler, not a good one. And I said the same thing - Wilcox IS willing. He tries, has the frame to succeed, and just simply lacks the experience as a defender to bring down the ball carrier with a safe, effecient, effective tackle.

And yes, you do only need a guy at safety who can sit in his zone and break up a pass - either by hitting them Lynch style, or breaking apart the pass Ed Reed style with good coverage, or by blending both a la Polamalu style. And Wilcox has the potential to be vey much an Ed Reed style - great range and the ability to get to the ball fast to break it up or pick it off. But his inexperience, and lack luster tackling, is going to take some time.

I've said three times, I like this pick. Greta area to get him, and his potential is tremendous. But of course, as usual, any criticism of a Dallas player other than the QB results in nit picker replies...

Nice write up. I think the reports agree with you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigD88 wrote:
Just from the quick few videos I've seen of him, Wilcox DOES tend to lunge-tackle - almost like Pat Watkins from several years ago.
Nothing terrible and I also really like this pick. Being that it was his first year on defense, I doubt he's too entrenched in that bad habit an he can change it for the better.

Dude! THANK YOU!

Not just for agreeing and re-emphasizing my point, but I couldn't for the life of me remember that safety's name from a few years ago who tried to tackle in the same fashion. Thanks for refreshing my memory of Pat Watkins.

You are very much right, Wilcox's tackle style is a lot like Pat Watkins. Pat, however, did not have nearly as much potential as a standout safety, so biding our time to teach him better form and coach him up in that regard was not nearly as worth it as it will be for Wilcox.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the write up amnd opinion bit the irony of knocking a former pro scouts report then giving your own was too much to pass up.

Sig courtesy of mack.
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1612408-jj-wilcox-video-highlights-for-former-georgia-southern-ss#/articles/1612408-jj-wilcox-video-highlights-for-former-georgia-southern-ss/page/2

Someone needs to teach the kid to tackle. Huge worry for me watching that video package. Either high, knock out blow or ankle biting. Not sure I saw an actaul tackle in that reel...

From Broddus, some intangiables I love bolded:

Quote:
•One of my favorite players to study on tape…this guy is not afraid to blow you up but you will also see him play a little in coverage….is a physical player like a linebacker…is very aggressive…will be a little too aggressive at times and miss in space but will wrap you up too…
•Has some strength when he tackles…ball carrier is on the ground…not afraid to be part of the attack…once he sees it, he is gone…does a nice job of avoiding blocks…will really rally to the ball…arrives with a bad attitude…can stay with his man in coverage but this is the area will he need the most work because he hasn’t had many opportunities…
•Will need to work on recognition but you don’t see busts or a dumb player here…better when he can come forward…emotional player…will carry the tight end up the field…can beat blocks in space…when he gets going, he can cover some ground…
•Loves to throw his body around…plays with huge effortnose for the ball…has been a kickoff return man in his career…averaged over 25 yards a return…was a wide receiver early in his career….he will not be a hard player to find on the field…

All things this team lacks, let alone the defense.

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
Northland

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely out of interest I looked at Tampa's drafts when Kiffin was DC there from 1996-2008. We hear how important the safety postion is to the success of the Tampa 2, and it is. I thought the Bucs would have invested a high pick or two on the safety position during Kiffin's time there given the importance of the position to the defensive scheme. The starting safeties on the Bucs superbowl squad, Lynch and Jackson, were third and fourth rounders picked in 1993 pre Kiffin and 1999.

During Kiffin's tenure as DC there were a number of safeties taken but most were 3rd round or later. Now the Bucs defense had great players all over but they did not invest high picks at safety. So maybe this kid Wilcox has the athleticism and can be molded into the player we need under Kiffin. Maybe the front seven is equally or more important to the scheme than the S. I don't know.

This has been pure speculation on my part. Have had it. Don't shoot the messanger!
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
Purely out of interest I looked at Tampa's drafts when Kiffin was DC there from 1996-2008. We hear how important the safety postion is to the success of the Tampa 2, and it is. I thought the Bucs would have invested a high pick or two on the safety position during Kiffin's time there given the importance of the position to the defensive scheme. The starting safeties on the Bucs superbowl squad, Lynch and Jackson, were third and fourth rounders picked in 1993 pre Kiffin and 1999.

During Kiffin's tenure as DC there were a number of safeties taken but most were 3rd round or later. Now the Bucs defense had great players all over but they did not invest high picks at safety. So maybe this kid Wilcox has the athleticism and can be molded into the player we need under Kiffin. Maybe the front seven is equally or more important to the scheme than the S. I don't know.

This has been pure speculation on my part. Have had it. Don't shoot the messanger!

You know, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this kid started right away. Mainly because everyone is learning their position all over again. It sounds like he picks up things rather quick as JG said "You see him grow in front of your eyes." Im rooting for him, it will be interesting to see how S pans out.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:

Can't leave out the fact John Lynch was already there which was a huge factor. No real need to invest when you got your guy. But also who know how much pull he had...

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
ThePlaymaker86

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad we did draft a Safety, but I just wish that for once we wouldn't use a mid round draft pick on a project safety. Sounds like the guy is raw, but I'll be pulling for him like heck.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSTE92 wrote:

All things this team lacks, let alone the defense.
while I agree that we need more, I think you have the 2012 cowboys confused with the 2010 cowboys.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chris Level ‏@ChrisLevel 55m
Asked #TexasTech's @JScott_TTU (was at Ga Southern last season) about Cowboy draftee SS JJ Wilcox: He's a stud, played RB for us too.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Northland

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSTE92 wrote:
Northland wrote:

Can't leave out the fact John Lynch was already there which was a huge factor. No real need to invest when you got your guy. But also who know how much pull he had...

Lynch is duly noted in my post as being drafted in 96 but was a third round pick. Dexter Jackson a fourth rounder. My point being they found their guys without investing premium picks. Not saying I advocate this, but with safety being so important to the Tampa 2 I thought higher picks would have been invested.
canadaluvsdalla

Location: I state my opinion. You Listen. I won't change my stance.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Fgp23ndwE

Just a vid of the Wilcox family together when they got drafted.

Dirk Gently on 2012 Cowboys O-line wrote:
I think last year we gave up pressure to 3 jewish ladies from brooklyn.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:

That was awesome.

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
canadaluvsdalla wrote:

That was awesome.

Agreed. REALLY pulling for this kid.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: