Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

80th pick: S J.J. Wilcox
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northland

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I am a cynical SOB, I will put forth the following: A couple of drafts ago we drafted Akwasi Owusu Ansah who if memory serves didn't have a lot of experience at S but had intriguing athleticism. A lot of us were optimistic about his potential but he didn't amount to much. Every player is different but could we just have picked another project who may not pan out? Is there more to Wilcox than Ansah?
NYDC4life

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1705885/jj-wilcox

shags74

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not happy because the need for OL is so much greater than all the other needs combined, and we only took one, then pi$%ed the second round pick away on a backup TE, then the third on a backup WR. It's the same damn draft every year: We get one starter then a bunch of guys we'll use on special teams for a couple years then cut.

With Romo bamboozling Jerry into giving him one of the most undeserved contracts in history, we needed to pick OL in rounds 1, 2 and 3 to a) protect the "investment", b) help him from giving away three games a year, and c) give the Romo apologists one or two less excuses to try to propel them from their visions of rainbows and unicorns.

I guarantee the next pick will be the "developmental project" from the Division 1AA or 2 school that they want to convert to a different position. That's about the only one of their greatest hits they haven't recycled yet.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armen Williams ‏@ArmenWilliams 42s

J.J. Wilcox said his mother is suffering from a lung disease and came home from the hospital to be with her son as he got picked in draft.

Wow.

Really pulling for this kid.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
sniderboys23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
Because I am a cynical SOB, I will put forth the following: A couple of drafts ago we drafted Akwasi Owusu Ansah who if memory serves didn't have a lot of experience at S but had intriguing athleticism. A lot of us were optimistic about his potential but he didn't amount to much. Every player is different but could we just have picked another project who may not pan out? Is there more to Wilcox than Ansah?
my thoughts exactly. While I like the pick and maybe upside this could bring. It wouldn't be a cowboys draft without a project

Major Props to El Ramster!!!!
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSTE92 wrote:
We want OL, S, WR, DL and RB. We draft OL, S and WR.

No one is happy. Love this board and fan base. They aren't the guy I read a scouting report about so they aren't going to be any good.

Argue value if you want, fine. The players have been good though.

and there is still a ton of value on the board at RB and even a little a DL.

A thousand times this.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
Wilcox is a boom or bust Safety. Very raw at the position. Has good hands and great range. Is a converted RB/WR. Can be that ballhawk that Kiffin was looking for.

Not much material on him at Safety.

Yeah, pretty much what I said a bit earlier in the thread. Awesome range for a safety, he could become a great ballhawk style of safety. But with his raw tackling, and lack of experience, he could become a total nothing just as easily as he could become a pro bowler.

He's not the kind of kid who's going to come in and instantly be an upgrade, but he is totally the type of kid who might excel on special teams for a year or two while working on his safety skills. Inserting him now might be more of a liability with his poor tackling and inexperience.

A good risk though, ithink. His potential is definitely worth a third round selection. This is definitely where a player like this deserves to go.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
TVScout

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
SHSTE92 wrote:
We want OL, S, WR, DL and RB. We draft OL, S and WR.

No one is happy. Love this board and fan base. They aren't the guy I read a scouting report about so they aren't going to be any good.

Argue value if you want, fine. The players have been good though.

and there is still a ton of value on the board at RB and even a little a DL.

A thousand times this.

There is a lot of value left at both sides of the line. And at QB with Barkley Laughing , Nassib, Jones, Wilson, Bray...........

OL: Faulk, Jones, Quessenberry, Bailey...

DL: Williams, Spence, Gholston, Catapano, Taylor, Bass.....
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Amazing athlete with awesome range for a deep safety in a cover 2 zone. Problem is, he tackles about as well as my little sister does. He's great at getting into positin for a break up of the pass completion, but if the ball is caught already, that's not the guy I want trying to make the touchdown saving tackle on an NFL receiver.

According to Broaddus he is a decent tackler.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
buckwild

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just confuses me that the Cowboys are in a window is closing mentality, but take a project at S which is one of the biggest areas of need. While you have Phillip Thomas sitting there for you that has played 3 years of D-1 football. Just perplexing!

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
pierrepet

I like this pick the least. The 3rd round is way too high to take a player that has played one year at safety. I am not a fan.

Ironm1ke: "I am a huge Eli supporter, but his 2012 campaign was an epic turd."
Matts4313

WareWolf94 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Amazing athlete with awesome range for a deep safety in a cover 2 zone. Problem is, he tackles about as well as my little sister does. He's great at getting into positin for a break up of the pass completion, but if the ball is caught already, that's not the guy I want trying to make the touchdown saving tackle on an NFL receiver.

I read a lot of reports on the kid. They all said the kid is a willing tackler for a first year defender. Said he isnt afraid to throw his body into someone. This was another excellent pick, IMO
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WareWolf94 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:

Broaddus went from scout to single-team writer for a reason, I'd say.

Remember some years ago, we had that Derek Ross guy at corner? Bill Parcells said something like, "Yeah, he can make a tackle. But likely break his neck trying to do so." That is kind of how I feel about Wilcox. He lunge-tackles, which often gets him beat, or could get him injured. He's not that hard hitting popper at safety, and definitely not the wrap up and bring you down style either. He'll dive to get under you and try to wrap up your legs, but that got him beat in college fairly often. If that happens on the college level, an NFL caliber receiver will simply smoke by him with a single side step.

Of course, tackling can be taught with time. It's not hard to do. It's just hard to perfect. He's willing to get in front of a guy, has no problem taking a smack in his torso for trying to stop the guy, and has the frame to bring guys down. So it's not so bad - but when you're trying to learn proper tackling while stepping into the pro level, the learning curve might prove to be too steep.

I like the guy overall though! His potential, with all that range and ball skills, is certainly worth a third round pick. A good selection, and my favorite so far. The kid could become a pro bowler just as easily as he could become a total nothing. His potential - and the gap between his "Ceiling" (I hate that term) and basement is simply that wide because of how much inexperience he has and how much potential he has.

Read the Football FAQ!
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL @ mocking a former scout then putting out your pretend scouting reports ... didnt you say a couple hours ago that all we need in this scheme is a guy who can stand there and pop someone? Well crap go get Roy Wilkiams and Taylor Mays and were money... lol

Sig courtesy of mack.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
LOL @ mocking a former scout then putting out your pretend scouting reports ... didnt you say a couple hours ago that all we need in this scheme is a guy who can stand there and pop someone? Well crap go get Roy Wilkiams and Taylor Mays and were money... lol

Is that not what everyone here is doing - posting their own thoughts and "scouting reports" on the plyers we selected, didn't select, or hope we select? Razz

I at least put a lot of thought and review into what I post, especially when it comes to prospects we draft.

And if you watch Wilcox - not his highlight reels, which will NEVER show negative plays, oviously - he blows a lot of tackles by diving at people or using poor form. You can go see for yourself man. It's pretty clear as day when you see him lunge and miss, or lunge, grab a leg, and get slipped anyway.

And what Broaddus said, was that Wilcox is a WILLING tackler, not a good one. And I said the same thing - Wilcox IS willing. He tries, has the frame to succeed, and just simply lacks the experience as a defender to bring down the ball carrier with a safe, effecient, effective tackle.

And yes, you do only need a guy at safety who can sit in his zone and break up a pass - either by hitting them Lynch style, or breaking apart the pass Ed Reed style with good coverage, or by blending both a la Polamalu style. And Wilcox has the potential to be vey much an Ed Reed style - great range and the ability to get to the ball fast to break it up or pick it off. But his inexperience, and lack luster tackling, is going to take some time.

I've said three times, I like this pick. Greta area to get him, and his potential is tremendous. But of course, as usual, any criticism of a Dallas player other than the QB results in nit picker replies...

Read the Football FAQ!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: