Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With Pick 77 the Miami Dolphins select Dallas Thomas G/T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niedermaier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: With Pick 77 the Miami Dolphins select Dallas Thomas G/T Reply with quote

Birth Date: October 30, 1989 (Age: 23)
Hometown: BATON ROUGE, LA
Height: 6-5
Weight: 305

OVERVIEW

Even though Thomas grew up in Louisiana and was recruited by in-state LSU, he decided he could make a quicker impact at Tennessee. Thomas redshirted in 2008, and then played all 13 games on special teams the following season. When finally given his chance as a sophomore, Thomas won the team’s Harvey Robinson Award as the offensive surprise player of 2010 spring practices and then proved himself durable and reliable by starting all 13 games at left tackle. He started every game on the blind side as a junior, as well, with his best effort possibly coming against South Carolina defensive ends Melvin Ingram and Jadaveon Clowney –- they combined for just two tackles, none for loss and no sacks, on the day.

In order for the team to get their five best offensive lineman on the field in 2012, Thomas moved from left tackle to left guard. In this year, his senior season, Thomas earned second-team All-SEC honors. Thomas finished his career by starting his final 37 games.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Displays the potential to start as either a tackle or guard in the NFL. Plays with natural bend in the knees, and flexbility. Possesses excellent agility. Can sit down into his blocks and anchor. Can block down yet spring back outside to cut off outside blitzers, also gets to second level quickly and shows good speed and hustle downfield. Very good at pulling, and is always attempting to drive his assignment to the ground. Maintains balance while extending his arms to keep outside rushers out of the pocket, does not give up after initial contact. Good recovery speed to cut off spin and inside counter moves. Goes out to meet his man and packs a punch to stop their momentum. Comes off the ball very well from a three-point stance in the run game.

WEAKNESSES

Foot quickness is a bit lacking. Must continue to get stronger in the lower body, will give up a bit of ground against powerful defenders -– especially when he fails to land his punch correctly. Must consistently get his hands up quickly, both in pass protection and when trying to negate second-level defenders. Lunges towards his man out of a three-point stance on occasion, overextending to allow him to pass by.

NFL COMPARISON Rodger Saffold

BOTTOM LINE

Thomas has three years of starting experience in the SEC under his belt. He spent his Sophomore and Junior seasons at left tackle, before moving to guard in his senior season. Thomas plays with great flexibility. He also has the ability to anchor into his blocks. Thomas likely profiles better as an offensive guard, but is capable of playing left tackle in the NFL, despite less than ideal foot quickness. Thomas should be a top-50 selection.

Thomas tore his labrum during January practices for the Senior Bowl and his recovery—which doctors estimated could take four-to-six months—might impact his draft stock. But I'm not a doctor, so we'll analyze the versatile lineman based on his on-field performance.

Dallas Thomas vs Florida 2012:

From Bleacher Report

I'll start by saying that I don't think Thomas has the strength and quickness to play tackle in the NFL. I see him more as an interior lineman, and a good one at that.

The very first play showcases Thomas' speed and hustle to get to the second level, and that's what you want to see out of a starting guard. But on the next play, you see him get driven back by an interior rusher, and that's a problem. It happens a few times throughout the course of this video, including at around 2:40.

Thomas is going to need to improve his overall strength, particularly his lower-body strength, if he hopes to anchor against the big boys in the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_90WsabPKTI

Great Highlight on our new O/T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T00AJ2CmQXU

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHQZWO7kTx4

Dallas Thomas vs. Alabama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xuxi2oLJgs

Dallas Thomas vs South Carolina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbkJrFl65lE

Dallas Thomas vs NC State 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfz_XJ6F2zU

Dallas Thomas - OL - Tennessee Highlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC8aqegJ5aM

Talking to the media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TegBWjNgYA

Combine Interview

http://www.wbir.com/video/2181366507001/1/Dallas-Thomas-NFL-Combine-interview

Larry Little #66

Last edited by Niedermaier on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
cddolphin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developmental OG to eventually replace Incognito?
cddolphin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Louis isn't recovered and Jerry hasn't gotten significantly quicker maybe he'll be our new RG
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philbin likes lineman that can play multiple positions, will probably see him worked at both in training camp to see where he lands.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this pick. going to be great. plays better at G.

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like SEC player a lot and think this could be a very good pick for the phins....Go squat big boy...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytotha wrote:
I love this pick. going to be great. plays better at G.

He is going to play Guard. No doubt. Guess its time to change my sig.

Larry Little #66
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a feeling we'd go OL, but I thought we'd take Quesinberry.
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pick, Take John Jerrys job

Adopt a Phins 14, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
(14 Season Week-11 )
65.4% CMP - 2354 yards -17 TD's - 7 INT's - 92.2 Rat /RUSH 261 Yards 37 Atmts
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ireland is viewing Thomas as "starting on the left side". He didn't say if he would be playing Tackle or Guard. Surely, at least at this very moment, Ireland would like the Chiefs to believe he is going to be a Tackle and that we don't need Albert.

There is a good chance that deal is dead, but its hard to know for sure. I guess until I do know, I will be hopeful Branden Albert can be wrestled away. Maybe the #103 and #106? I'd do that in heart beat and have Dallas Thomas compete with Jerry for the RG spot. That would be Branden Albert - Richie Incognito - Mike Pouncey - Dallas Thomas/John Jerry - Jonathan Martin as a starting crew. I'd feel okay about that.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Don't think Lance Louis is in the mix?
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
You Don't think Lance Louis is in the mix?

Sorry, yes, Louis competes as well. No doubt.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing is for sure Jerry better lay off the cupcakes from now till camp. He is on red tag alert
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not so sure of this pick. The little film I saw on him was mediocre. He leans a lot in pass protection. I would also like to see him have quicker feet. He clearly is not a straight man blocker. Nothing about him makes you excited. We will see how he translates to the Fins scheme.
cownipples

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Incognito's replacement after this year! Reply with quote

Incognito is in the last year of his contract, I doubt he will be back, Lg gaurd or even a right tackle prospect.

Thanks for the Sig: Lone_Ranger90

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: