Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears Draft Grades
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Bears Draft Grades Reply with quote

I’ll continue to add to this as we go…add your own...

1st round pick (#20 Overall)…

OL…Kyle Long…6-6” 313…Oregon…

I feel as tho I have to give two grades for this pick…on the one hand I think Long is a big reach at #20 for a non-elite OG prospect who’s lack of experience is a major concern if he is being asked to step into play OG from day one…combine that with his age and off-field history and I don’t like the pick…but on the other hand I think Phil Emery is too smart to take a non-elite OG prospect at #20…unless he has a bigger plan…Emery has spoken about Long’s versatility and how he feels he could be a Left or Right tackle in the future…Long fits what I have been saying for a while now that the NFL is moving towards in terms of OTs…lighter…leaner…more athletic guys who can match up with the freakish athletes we are now seeing playing DE & OLB year in year out…Long has the frame to stay lean at 313lbs…he has a body fat percentage of 15.8% which was the lowest of any OL at the combine…he runs in the low 4.9s & verts in the high 20s…he clearly demonstrates power on tape…he has the measurable of an OT and that’s where I see him in the future…so…

Drafted at #20 to start year one at OG after only starting 4 games in college…D

Drafted to take over at RT next year after developing under Kromer for a year…B-

2nd round pick (#50 Overall)…

LB…Jon Bostic…6-1” 245lbs…Florida…

Personally I would have preferred Arthur Brown or Khaseem Greene…but those guys may be better fits in the eyes of scouts for the WLB spot given their size…Bostic has the height/weight/speed that Emery likes…Bostic is a real think build guy who can fill a lane in the run game and plays with plenty of aggressiveness…I think he needs to work on getting off blocks better like most rookie LBs but again he shows the willingness to at least take them on…I don’t think he plays quite as fast as his 40 time would suggest…but he can run and get sideline to sideline from all three LB positions…his versatility...instincts...& hitting ability are all plus points…I don’t think he is a ready-made three down LB at this point against the pass and could be a better fit at SLB for a season before taking over from DJ Williams in the middle but with proper coaching he could get better in that aspect of the game…I think the thing that pushes Bostic over the top of a few LBs in this class will be his intangibles…vocal leader…hard worker on the field…in the weight room…and in the class room…

I think he start out at SLB for a year behind DJ Williams before becoming out new MLB…B-

4th round pick (#117 Overall)…

LB…Khaseem Greene…6-1” 240lbs…Rutgers…

As I wrote above about Bostic…personally I would have preferred Khaseem Greene lol…Greene has been brought in here to be a long term replacement for Lance Briggs and his skill set is perfect for the position…Greene didn’t do well at the combine posting average test scores but on the field he plays much faster…he will get attack the LOS and isn’t afraid to take on blocks as well as going sideline to sideline to get to ball carriers…when he gets there he arrives with bad intentions and will hit a guy in the mouth as evidence by his 13 career forced fumbles…Greene can also get after the QB from the LB position with 11.5 sacks & 16 QBHs…even when the QB hands the ball off Greene shows the ability to make plays behind the LOS with 30.5 TFL…also shows why he arrived at Rutgers as a safety…his pass coverage is pretty advanced and his feel for zones is solid…again playmaker when the ball is in the air with 6 INTs…all the guy does is make plays and has had a hand in 21 turnovers in 50 career games…much like Bostic…Greene was the vocal and emotional leader on his team and has played on special teams…I think he is a steal in the 4th…

I think Greene starts out as a backup LB & ST ace before moving into a starting role next year…A

5th round pick (#163 Overall)…

OL…Jordan Mills…6-5” 315lbs…LA Tech…

Even with all the veterans we have add upfront in free agency this year it’s clear the Bears are targeting a big improvement on the Oline after taking Kyle Long in round one then coming back in round five for another versatile Olinemen who should be able to contribute at a number of positions on the Oline…his frame lends itself to playing those multiple spots at 6-5” 315lbs & 34” arms he has the size and length to play OT but isn’t too tall or long to lose leverage battles against shorter interior linemen…in pass pro he doesn’t show the foot speed to play at LT IMO…but I think he does have good enough feet to potentially stick at the RT position…as much as he is susceptible to speed he does a nice job of anchoring against the bull rush and shows the strong hands needed to control his man once he locks on...in the run game he shows the pop out of his stance you are looking for but can sometimes come off a little high but I’m sure Kromer can clean that up…plays with power in the run game which you would like to see from an OG which is where I feel he best projects in Kromer’s scheme…

I think Mills starts out as a 3 position backup before moving into the starting line-up at OG to take over from Kyle Long when he slides to the outside…B

6th round pick (#188 Overall)…

DE…Cornelius Washington…6-4” 265lbs…Georgia…

I see why we picked up Washington…blow the combine up testing out as one of the best athletes amongst the Dline group…versatility and can play with his hand in the dirt or standing up if we ever want to go to a different D…and you can never have enough pass rusher…but my concern is his tape doesn’t always match up to what he showed at the combine…he flashes the ability to get off the LOS very quickly and turn the corner on OTs because of his superior athletic ability but it’s only in flashes…he is inconsistent in that regard…doesn’t have many pass rushing move relaying on his speed to get around the OT…hasn’t developed any kind of counter move which would really help his game…but his athletic ability is so high that if he can be moulded to play with more consistency off the snap and to be taught a counter move he could be a Mark Anderson type of 3rd down pass rusher…don’t ask him to do anything other than rush the QB and he could rack up pressures…I also think his athletic ability is high enough for him to be a very effective special teams player…

I think Washington will be our #4 DE this year and will mostly spend time on ST and developing as a pass rusher…B

7th round pick (#236 Overall)…

WR…Marquess Wilson…6-3” 195lbs…Washington State…

One of my major concerns going into this offseason was who would play on the outside if Marshall or Alshon went down with? Bennett is better suited to the slot, Weems doesn’t have the size or ability to play outside, Hester won’t see snaps at WR & Anderson’s best role is as a ST ace…so grabbing true outside WR depth is a smart move…Wilson is 6-3” with decent length…his frame is very thin right now at 195lbs and he lacks functional strength but despite that his best trait is his ability to fight with a DB in a jump ball situation…he has great leaping ability to high point the ball and the hands to come down with it…Wilson is one of those guys who doesn’t look like he is running particularly fast but he is a long strider and very smooth across the ground…his route running needs some work but he can get deep in a hurry averaging 16.95 YPC over his career and that with average QBs and opposing defences loading up against him as he was WSU best weapon by far…obviously we hope Wilson won’t be pressed into action this year but with a year in a strength and conditioning programme and under proper coaches he could be a steal in the 7th…my only concern with him is can he play special teams well enough to make the final roster this year…and on a side note to address the issue I don’t like guys who quite on their team but with Mike Leach being a colossal idiot I don’t feel it’s much of a problem…

I think he makes the roster on potential of becoming something down the line…B

Last edited by Madmike90 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:19 am; edited 4 times in total
DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the same from me.

Kyle Long - D

Jon Bostic - B
JPeppers90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I really think you guys are underestimating the Long pick. JMO.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you grad the dude without seeing him play as a Bear.

Thunk about how manny of us were so wrong with Carimi.

Adopt a Bear.... Ka'Deem Carey.... HB.... Arizona
1-Rush for 4 yards. HALL OF FAME!
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the old adage say? You can't grade a draft for 3-4 years? And even though that's the time frame that you need to consider, we and the talking heads all want to slap a grade on immediately. The problem in this case is that Kyle Long is so raw and has such a ridiculously small body of work that he is perhaps one of the biggest question marks ever. Particularly when athletic ability and bloodlines are such significant factors.

Worst case scenario I think Kyle Long will be an average player. Best case he is an elite player. Considering how many 1st rounders bust out of the league within 3-4 years my guess is this pick ends up being a C if he plays at his floor rather than his ceiling. I don't think he will be a complete bust.
dabears32

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emery is investing in the success of "football families" and creating mutual benefit for both Bears and Long/Bostic NFL lineages. On the surface, these moves fill holes with guys who can contribute, but their athleticism and blood lines make them very likely to be successful NFL players. I'm digging the long-term thinking, as opposed to the short-sighted Angelo we finally rid ourselves of.

I'll give the Long pick a solid B for now, with potential. Don't act like nobody liked this kid. Mayock raved on NFLN about him.

And the Bostic pick is definitely an B+. Not the guy I would have chosen but I, obviously, defer to Emery's judgement. Athletic as all hell and looks like he will contribute at any of the 3 LB spots.
theindianstud12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F. They should have went Eiifert and Brown.
shruj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long - D-

Bostic - B
MonsterCityGHS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears are making great picks they got a very athletic OL, and a versatile athletic LB. Bears are adding youth speed and athleticism on to a solid team it's good. So far the draft in my opinion is at a respectable B. I'd like to see a good skill fast receiver picked by at least the fifth round, and Bears are ready 2 rock!
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DABEARSLCF04 wrote:

You grade the pick and what kind of fit it is...you obviously can't grade how well they will play without seeing them.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
DABEARSLCF04 wrote:

You grade the pick and what kind of fit it is...you obviously can't grade how well they will play without seeing them.

Most people had Brown mocked as a first rounder, would have graded the Bears an A if they had taken him there, despite the fact it would have been 30 picks too early. Yet Long gets a D. Arbitrary and pointless.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DABEARSLCF04 wrote:

Most people had Brown mocked as a first rounder, would have graded the Bears an A if they had taken him there, despite the fact it would have been 30 picks too early. Yet Long gets a D. Arbitrary and pointless.

How exactly is it?…I didn’t hear you calling Long a first round pick at any point in this process…I didn’t hear many calling a guy who started all of 4 games a first round pick…it’s easy to point things out in hindsight…as I said you have to grade the Long picks in two ways…one which is how he is going to contribute right away as a first round pick…which is a D…and one which is how he is going to contribute down the line…with is a B- since I think he is our future at RT…

And also the Superbowl champions with the best GM in football just traded up to grab Brown to replace arguably the best LB of all time…if that isn’t a ringing endorsement of the guys talent I don’t know what is.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DABEARSLCF04 wrote:

How exactly is it?…I didn’t hear you calling Long a first round pick at any point in this process…I didn’t hear many calling a guy who started all of 4 games a first round pick…it’s easy to point things out in hindsight…as I said you have to grade the Long picks in two ways…one which is how he is going to contribute right away as a first round pick…which is a D…and one which is how he is going to contribute down the line…with is a B- since I think he is our future at RT…

And also the Superbowl champions with the best GM in football just traded up to grab Brown to replace arguably the best LB of all time…if that isn’t a ringing endorsement of the guys talent I don’t know what is.

I didn't think Long was a first round pick. I'm also a guy sitting at home watching YouTube videos. I've never seen Long in practice, or spoken wit him, or his coaches. Charlie Casserlt had Long at 22, Kiper had him at 20 a couple of weeks ago. Mike Mayock had Long as his 29th best prospect, and Greg Cosell had him as a first rounder who might be the best LT in the draft.

As for Brown, the point is that he went 30 spots later than many here would have been thrilled to draft him at. Even the Ravens let him drop into the 50's. and yet if we had taken him at 20 you and others would have given the Bears an A for that pick - despite eviscerating Emery for doing essentially that.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DABEARSLCF04 wrote:

I didn't think Long was a first round pick. I'm also a guy sitting at home watching YouTube videos. I've never seen Long in practice, or spoken wit him, or his coaches. Charlie Casserlt had Long at 22, Kiper had him at 20 a couple of weeks ago. Mike Mayock had Long as his 29th best prospect, and Greg Cosell had him as a first rounder who might be the best LT in the draft.

As for Brown, the point is that he went 30 spots later than many here would have been thrilled to draft him at. Even the Ravens let him drop into the 50's. and yet if we had taken him at 20 you and others would have given the Bears an A for that pick - despite eviscerating Emery for doing essentially that.

After what he have seen so far this weekend you might as well throw those out of the window…for example Mayock had Barkley at #43…Nassib at #50…they are still on the board…he had Travis Fredrick at #92…he went at #31…and I’m also willing to guarantee that those rankings were based on potential and what Long could be down the road…as I said I would give a B- for that…and not for what he is right now…which is a D in my book…

And yes Brown fell…so did NaVorro Bowman…Ozzie Newsome doesn’t trade up for no reason.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DABEARSLCF04 wrote:

After what he have seen so far this weekend you might as well throw those out of the window…for example Mayock had Barkley at #43…Nassib at #50…they are still on the board…he had Travis Fredrick at #92…he went at #31…and I’m also willing to guarantee that those rankings were based on potential and what Long could be down the road…as I said I would give a B- for that…and not for what he is right now…which is a D in my book…

And yes Brown fell…so did NaVorro Bowman…Ozzie Newsome doesn’t trade up for no reason.

I think his point is that any values we place are based upon perception at this point. In a hypothetical for instance, say we had taken Brown at 50 instead of Bostic. Had we gone Brown 1 and Long 2 people would have given us resoundingly high marks, but if it had been Long then Brown there would have been a lot of complaining when reality outside of the little contrived draft bubble in which we all tend to view things we ended up with the same two players.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: